Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Rytheric's not goon in the well, they're goon in a pit toilet.

I have been watching this thread with :suspense: and not posting because I would be one of the angry-posters otherwise, but I feel the need to chime in and add my vote to team "walk the gently caress away."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

So I looked up the title search and paperwork they gave me. It does reference the lien, but the lawyer representing the sellers agent was weaving the contract so that the sellers agent was going to take over the loan on the owners property during the "refinance." While opening the portion I was interested in up to sell to me.

I think one implication was that the sellers agent was going after the owner's property with the house as a bigger target to sell. Selling me the portion they didn't want was just to sweeten the pot and make the transition more likely to happen. Or he just wanted the interest of the $100,000 the owner still owes.

Run.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You're literally screwing yourself over to provide entertainment for a bunch of random people on a web forum.

Maybe somebody just needed the voice how ridiculous that is.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Oh the suspension is shot. One of my rear shocks is bent in from something. I was in the process of replacing my stabilization bar bushings when I realized all the bushings were shot. I was wanting to drop $2000 to go ahead and replace all the bushings, shocks, and brakes along with calipers. But this land thing distracted me. If I had gotten the geo tracker I could have switched out the suspension at my leisure and drove the tracker to work.

Ive been debating having a professional do it to save time, but I have a mechanic friend who is the driller who is encouraging me to do it myself and that he will help if need be. I've had a car fall on me before while I was working on it, so I'm slightly worried about the GroverTruk falling on me. If I can find a shop that will let me buy the parts and I just pay the labor that would be great.

Perhaps a meme will get through to you.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Hanes and Chiltons manual for it.

redone the vacuum lines

*shudders*

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Motronic posted:

Oh, nice. Sounds like this is one project Ry is doing well so far and....

You're going to do loving what with cinder blocks?

Seriously.....you don't know enough about anything to work on things that have the potential to put others in harms way. You either didn't understand what your friend told you or your friend is an idiot former PFC who worked in the motor pool doing oil changes wrong.

300 ft lbs is like.....not any sort of big deal on a vehicle. With hand tools.

He probably doesn't own a torque wrench. We do because we're perverts.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Most readily available torque wrenches don't go up that high.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-3-4-in-Drive-Click-Torque-Wrench-50-300-ft-lb-24350/300498841

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Just because it says 300 doesn't mean you should do it. And I think it's actually alittle bit higher than 300, but regardless my torque wrenches doesn't go that high. And a 1inch one is expensive.

Wow those goalposts moved almost as quickly as it took me to find this:
https://www.amazon.ca/CDI-752MFRMH-Torque-8-Inch-Micro-Adjustable/dp/B002L9Z27E/

I'll leave it to you to find a US retailer, but drat that's inexpensive as heck!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Mate what you linked me only went up to 75. And the one that I need from that is 600+ cdn.

Actually, I shortened the link and foolishly thought Amazon wouldn't gently caress it up.

3/4DR 80-400ft lbs is $270 canadaland fun dollars, please try again.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

it was $2000, and that is on a payment plan through a random loan shark.

This is it folks, he's gone full zaurg.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Yeah, so disclaimer this is all youtube stuff. But the idea is to just lift it up until the suspension droops, take off the shock then pull the spring out. Ive seen people use c clamps or just a screw driver.

Here is a video of them taking it off between the 4 and 5 minute mark. Note that some of it doesn't look safe. I don't like the lack of attention to where their hands and arms are.

https://youtu.be/C_HAnqPw_TY

You're totally gonna get yourself killed.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
A lot of us have also seen this sort of thing done right. cursedshitbox literally lives in a box on the back of a truck. He has a very detailed thread about it in AI.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Me too. I think exploding springs distracted from the analysis of the suspension.

If you are dead-set on living in a mid-90s econoline, buy one in better condition, it will cost less than fixing this one.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Oh I already know that. I just don't care. The truck is priceless to me. At least until it finally craps out then I will buy a newer used one. But even then. The engine is cheap.

Why is it priceless?

Did you steal it?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

So, can confirm. Charging my GroverBattery with the GroverEngine and sitting on the back porch. I can definitely smell the exhaust coming up through the floor. But not from inside the bedroom and the bedrooms CO alarm is not going off. Good thing I went with the open porch concept instead of the enclosed tearoom.

The alarm is set to warn you when the CO levels get life-threatening. Lower levels can still gently caress with you, especially if they are constant. Headaches, irritability, etc.

Get the exhaust fixed.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Next time I run it, I will check the ppm number.

Long term exposure to low levels of CO is still loving bad. Just because your life isn't in immediate danger doesn't mean it's not in danger. 10ppm is enough to cause problems.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

serious gaylord posted:

live: the chassis of the box truck after Ry attempts to fix his battery issue

Ah, the old positive ground. Gettin' British with it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah why not put a ring circuit in this thing. If you're already going out your way to make it as dangerously stupid as possible you should shoot for the stars.

I actually didn't know they did ring mains in the UK until minutes ago and I am not sure if I should be horrified or dying of laughter that the British wire their houses like Christmas lights.

E: Yes, I know it's not exactly like Christmas lights, but it's funnier to me this way.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 1, 2021

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

So. I took another gander into the dark recesses of the GroverTruk underbelly because I was concerned that a lengthened pipe would be too close to the fuel tank. Lo and behold I found a bracket for the original exhaust that would have the CO escaping into the environment out from behind the rear passenger side dualies. I think the previous owner made several modifications to the grovertruk. I noticed some cooling lines were missing from the throttle body, there was a hole in the catalytic converter and now it looks like the down turned exhaust under the bed is also a modification from the original. It sounds like they were trying to get more power out of the GroverTruk. As if it needed more power. Perhaps if I restore the original exhaust it will run better.

Perhaps if you restore the original exhaust you won't be literally poisoning yourself.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

I meant one is more likely to happen. Co is like a sometimes snack that happens while co2 will always happen. That's why I'm less concerned about it. Why would I worry about a gas that is only sometimes produced when I rarely run the engine while im inside. That makes the chances of it being an issue rather slim in my mind. Like less than a handful of chances per winter. Perhaps I'm over analyzing it though. Regardless I will restore the exhaust to start going out the side at the rear like it did initially.

:cripes:

You're a loving idiot. I have tried not to be mean, but at this point I'm not sure what else to stay in response to this.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Box trucks are absolutely not airtight. The roof and walls are designed to shed water and prevent its intrusion, not air, and the floor is typically just planks, some are metal but even those are full of holes for various purposes and reasons.

E: GroverTruk's floor is old wood planks and they're not in great shape.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

AFashionableHat posted:

has Ry said how much the truck cost originally?

The operating theory is that the truck is stolen.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Do you have any numbers to back that up? He won't listen to us unless you have some numbers backing it up.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Holy poo poo, look at this 1996 E350 just waiting for someone to RVify and live inside it:
http://usedfromus.com/ford-ads/522238-1996-ford-e350-73-diesel-van-4x4.html

7.3L Diesel, one of the finest engines Ford ever put in these things, 4x4, low miles, roof rack.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Looks nice. The mileage is higher than what is listed on GroverTruks odometer though the odometer may have been reset at one point. Also can't stand in it unfortunately.

Ignoring that GroverTruk's odo is probably not an accurate at all, you're comparing gasoline engine miles to diesel engine miles. A 7.3L PSD is an entirely different animal and at that mileage it's not even close to needing major maintenance.

A diesel engine's exhaust, while certainly not the healthiest thing to breathe, is significantly safer than gasoline engine exhaust too. There's a reason diesels are king underground.

E: Also you can get an aftermarket fiberglass roof extension for them and they're not impossible for a home gamer to install. This van is a great starting point for a RV conversion.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 2, 2021

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Reik posted:

Why didn't you just get an RV?

Because he wants to half-rear end it, not have Dometic half-rear end it for him.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Because a 1250W inverter can absolutely run a circ saw, but you are erring on the side of caution and automatically assumed nobody would ever consider using a 1250W at its rating instead of half of that with an extra fuse thrown in to boot.

Nobody was telling you to trash your battery, at the time we just didn't know you had intentionally hamstrung your electrical system for an unnecessary level of extra safety margin.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Price for starters. All the rvs in GroverTruks price range were much worse mechanically. The insulation on those things were horrible and I'd want to rip it all out to start over, but it'd be with a vehicle that's much worse off mechanically. GroverTruk besides it's quirks appears to be reliable and will likely last enough years for me to afford a better GroverTruk or a pickup-enclosed trailer combo.

Translation: Sunk-cost brainworms.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

It's a shortish long story. But $2000. I gave the guy an extra $500 to hold on to it until I got the money out of my stock portfolio as I had competition from other tiny curious diyers. I also got scammed during this transaction, but thats another story.

No, no, no, that's the story of right now.

Tell us how you got taken for a ride buying the shittiest E350 in the land.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Okay, so we have a $2000 (lmao) box truck that needs about $2000 in parts, and probably $2000 in labour.

Let's tally that up.

$2000
$2000
$2000
_______+
$6000

Now let's assume you spent... $500 on all the framing, electrical nonsense, etc.

$6000
$  500
_______+
$6500

So, your RV budget was actually $6500.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
GroverTruk: I also got scammed during this transaction

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

luminalflux posted:

I think you left out another $2k for a telescope so that's actually $8500

I'm not including it because that came from a loan shark and the hope is that he didn't finance this truck.

Ry, you didn't finance this truck... right?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

beep-beep car is go posted:

You know he did.

Please dear god tell me you did not take a loan out for this piece of poo poo, Ry.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

No worse. I took out my personal stock portfolio and earnings to pay for it and getting it more road worthy. Most the stock I had increased 10x during the pandemic, but once the pandemic hit I didn't have enough disposable income to reinvest while the market sky rocketed.

This is bad, but definitely not worse.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

beep-beep car is go posted:

But you didn't add 6 inches of insulation. Just a layer of Reflectix as far as I can see.

No, there's fiberglass batting in a later picture.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
He would've cashed it all to buy GME and been left holding the bag at the end. At least this way his money bought him something tangible before evapourating, instead of just evapourating.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ardemia posted:

Feel free to ignore my entire post other than the bojangles question.

Guess what he did.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Who the gently caress is Dave Ramsey? I'm not googling this poo poo.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

tater_salad posted:

Dave Ramsey is a Jesusy "financial guru" who likes to hold maskless parties and gathering superspreader events.

In terms of financial advice he's Alcoholics Anonymous for debt.. he provides basic adivce to budget, and focus on getting out of debt, having an emergency fund.

His callers tend to be
"Dave I'm 20k under water on my truck, I'm thinking about trading it in and getting another truck but putting them on a 10 year paymetn plan so I'm actualy saving money"
Dave: NO YOU ARE AN IDIOT Pay teh truck off.. stop spending money on luxuries and start paying off debt etc
Caller: WOW YOU ARE JENIUOUS
Dave: Dont forget to pray and pay the church.

:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Elviscat posted:

I think y'all are being too hard on Ry about the truck, it's old, and $2,500 isn't a great deal, but it has the right form factor, and will probably be perfectly reliable with a little work, those old 5.4L Ford V8s are pretty simple and easy to work on.

A $6500 RV is going to have issues that I loving shudder to think about, plus it's not great to drive around.

Beater pickup and trailer is a way better idea, but I think we're past the point of no return here, and going forward Ry should put his money towards the truk, improving it mechanically and probably upgrading the electrical system.

I guess I should've been clear that by RV budget I meant RV or truck/trailer combo. To me a travel trailer and an RV are the same thing, just one can drive itself.