Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Aso Lambo thinking of Customer LMDH.

Man I forgot what the upswing of a formula felt like: exhilarating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Does IMSA h starts in 2022 or 23?

Edit: I looked it up and it's next year. Maybe it'll be worth it to go to Daytona again hmmm

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Congrats to Tomoki Nojiri on winning Super Formula - the first driver to wrap it up before the final round since Loic Duval in 2009. Dominant year for him.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Nah, Penske is confirmed running a Porsche LMDH factory team in IMSA. The problem is entirely Audi USA not wanting to pay the bill, which apparently was a problem even when the Audi R8 and R10 were dominant back in the day!

Somebody will run non-factory Audis nonetheless in IMSA, and it’ll likely be a decent level of team too. But it won’t be factory.

With BoP it won't really need to be, when the VAGs are favoured those private Audis will still be restricting anyone else to 7th.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://racer.com/2021/11/03/nakajima-to-leave-toyota-wec-drive/
I wonder what Nakajima has next. From his statement it doesn't sound like he's retiring from racing at all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

https://racer.com/2021/11/03/nakajima-to-leave-toyota-wec-drive/
I wonder what Nakajima has next. From his statement it doesn't sound like he's retiring from racing at all.

I’m guessing focusing on Supers GT and Formula might be what’s next. Staying in one country might be attractive after this whole COVID thing.

Wondering who will step up, if it’s almost a straight swap of Hirakawa for Nakajima, as mentioned there too.

Last WEC race of the season is coming up too. Hopefully better than last week’s.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

one more race and then finally, finally we are putting it in h

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Ferrari trying to brazen out ignoring instructions from the race director. Nice.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Some roundup of interesting stuff:

Helmet cam on Brandon Hartley in the Toyota GR010 at the second Bahrain round:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS-WP-8QOKM

Marshall Pruett of Racer reporting both Ford and Chevy working on true GT3 cars for 2024:

quote:

RACER has learned that not only is Ford planning to make a return to GT3 racing in 2024 with its legendary Mustang, but its arch in-state rival General Motors has a GT3 version of its championship-winning C8 in the works for a 2024 debut as well. It’s believed both Michigan-based companies intend to work within the spirit of the global GT3 class, which is meant to primarily — but not exclusively — serve customer programs.

this would be cool!

and lastly, the Glickenhaus account keeps retweeting French language accounts suggesting they've confirmed the Glickenhaus team will return to the WEC next season. This comes after some discussion from the WEC to try and make sure teams that sign up for the full season actually race the full WEC season. Keep in mind Glickenhaus only raced at three rounds this year - Portimao, Le Mans, and Monza - half of the championship.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

They weren't in the WEC this season. They just did exactly enough to con themselves into a "Full season entry" for the 24. They did less than half the other races. I'm amazed it worked.

But I guess it worked because the FIA were desperate for cars, any cars. Hence an ancient uprated LMP2 being considered a "Hypercar".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/UYHgIT4.mp4

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s Petit Le Mans day :toot: enjoy 10 hours of Road Atlanta, I’ll try to catch the end live.

Also in unsurprising but good to see news, Rahal will run both BMW’s M4 GT3 next year in IMSA and also be the LMDh team the following year.

https://twitter.com/rllracing/status/1459508220742057989

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Petit Le Mans was loving incredible. I love motorsports. Grats to Action Express, miss u 4ever Mazda prototype

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

:hmmwrong:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The last round of Super GT is this weekend. The R35 GT-R is also finally being retired - although it’s been strangely more competitive this year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

The last round of Super GT is this weekend. The R35 GT-R is also finally being retired - although it’s been strangely more competitive this year.

Yep, race is in a few hours from this post.

My guess is next year’s Nissan will be a “Fairlady Z Concept,” and in maybe 2023 or 24 they have a small change and base it off the production version.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Pretty big shocker in Super GT - the leading GT500 NSX was taken out by a GT300 NSX, and Toyota took the title.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

Pretty big shocker in Super GT - the leading GT500 NSX was taken out by a GT300 NSX, and Toyota took the title.

Here's the official highlights video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA962v0bcHw

the move happens from 1:58, holy smokes that is a wildly optimistic move from a GT300 car.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The kid is like 19.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Bathurst 1000 this weekend. Weird having it in December but I remember back in the split years the V8 race being as late as November. A lot of support series over the whole week TCR, GTs S5000 as well as the usual. S5000 are under the 2 minute mark.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have seen some grumbling on Aussie motorsport Twitter about the S5000 cars being restricted for safety and losing 90hp as a result.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Wouldn't want to embarrass the main show

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
In addition the track is dumb level narrow and only used on race weekends after all of the signs have been ripped out. While it’s great they let open wheelers race it’s not perhaps the safest track in the world to do that on. I’ve gone around a few times when it’s a normal road and there’s sections where you hope your don’t meet someone coming up the hill as you head down the hill

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Sounds like you would be a terrible race car driver

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Judging by the accidents the S5000s have been having at the chase they were right to take some power off them.

Bathurst start gets later every year

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

spaceblancmange posted:

Judging by the accidents the S5000s have been having at the chase they were right to take some power off them.

swear to got it used to be 10am local and I log in and they're still doing Porsche races

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Used to be I had to remember not to sleep in or I'd miss the start

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Yeah I remember it starting at 8am in the 90’s and it wouldn’t end till the current finish time.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The most Australian of safety cars for an echidna on the track.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Knuckles!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

spaceblancmange posted:

Was thinking that exact thing when you mentioned the 90hp reduction, there could be some scary incidents down the chase otherwise.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Dakar is streaming the opening event on their YouTube channel https://youtu.be/Bm91IZngKFo

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SlowBloke posted:

Dakar is streaming the opening event on their YouTube channel https://youtu.be/Bm91IZngKFo

I also have a thread on dakar in AI if anyone wants to see more pictures of the race. It's a great race and I love it and everyone else should too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Gulf 12 Hours is this weekend - starting in a few hours' time, actually - and with it the start of 2022 for circuit-based sports car racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acd6_mCJuD0

I'll try to get a new 2022 thread up in the next couple of days, let me know if there's anything we should add or change from the OPs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

orange juche posted:

one more race and then finally, finally we are putting it in h

a much belated correction to this, apparently there's a whole nother loving season before we can put it in h.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Misc Racing Thread 2022: Prelude to H

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Waiting for Hodot

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Are the IMSA h's starting before the WEC's?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

net work error posted:

2023 for all of the LMDh, except 2024 for the Alpine/Oreca. Ligier supposedly has an LMDh customer too, but they are probably 2024+ as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

LMDh? I think the expectation is at least Porsche, Audi, Acura, Cadillac and BMW in 2023, so technically IMSA before WEC. No clue for the 2023 WEC schedule of course but if it's like this coming year, Super Sebring would be the first round of the World Championship. There's also a chance of no Audi in IMSA unless we hear about a customer partnership getting lined up sooner than later.

But, of course, for the sister LMH category in the WEC/Le Mans, they've already started last year (Toyota and Glickenhaus) and it's not nailed down but hopefully Peugeot also debut in 2022 as well. Ferrari is expected for 2023, can't remember offhand anybody else major expected to follow that route right now. ByKolles remain a threat.