Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

So here's a question.

"G-Drive Racing" won a LeMans entry from the ALMS.

But G-Drive Racing don't exist, the car was run by Algarve Pro.

So who gets the entry? Is it the sponsor or the team? I assume the deal is already done for Algarve to run the car at LeMans like they did last year but what if there's a split or one or the other goes out of business?

will this double up with their entry from the World Championship and/or one earned from the ELMS?

I know for sure the IMSA ones go to the driver, but can't remember one hundred percent about the ones for ELMS/AsLMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Which one is "The Driver"?

I don't know how multiple entries work because in theory United Autosport have something like 5 LMP2 entries at this point.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Ferrari is putting it in H in 2023

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

This owns

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

As long as the Ferrari looks like something I want to get in poster form and plaster on my wall I'm ok with it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

orange juche posted:

As long as the Ferrari looks like something I want to get in poster form and plaster on my wall I'm ok with it.
Ferrari haven't made a good looking car since the 60s...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cool to see, even if i hope they DNF every race they start.

e: Actually it wont be cool to see unless they run Daytona and Sebring with it too. It is nearly ok to see until then.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 24, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

Ferrari haven't made a good looking car since the 60s...

Hey I liked the testarossa

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Not exactly a huge shock - I’m sure they’re putting people to work.

But the real link to watch there is Richard Mille.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Formula E's all blue scoring pylon with no teams or driver numbers is stupid. Why they've kept that format for all these years is beyond me.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Pretty good race though, aside from the reasonably light crashes that took an age to get the cars off circuit

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Covette racing first WEC round.

I mean it's one of literally a handful races they can do this year so why not (plus Spa, Le Mans, Road Atlanta and Watkins Glen)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Covette racing first WEC round.

I mean it's one of literally a handful races they can do this year so why not (plus Spa, Le Mans, Road Atlanta and Watkins Glen)

yep, Corvette’s on the entry for Portimao and Spa with one car ahead of the planned two-car entry for Le Mans. This will help them with BoP at Le Mans in all likelihood.

It’s also easier this year considering they likely have a third (or fourth?) chassis they can ship to Europe instead of trying to stretch two cars between WEC rounds and IMSA.

The other news for Portimao is Glickenhaus missing out. If they show up, the car is then considered homologated, and they want more time for endurance testing before locking that in.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Le Mans has been delayed and Cadillac are thinking about LMDh (possibly at the logical expense of Corvette in GT)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Good lord they pushed Petit Le Mans to mid-November, it is going to be colder than gently caress in the camping zones. fuuuuuck.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yep - Le Mans has been pushed to 21/22 August, and so a couple of IMSA events have also been moved. The word is they were pushing to not hold the 24 Hours of Le Mans behind closed doors again, and have at least 50,000 fans in for financial reasons.

algebra testes posted:

Le Mans has been delayed and Cadillac are thinking about LMDh (possibly at the logical expense of Corvette in GT)

I'm not sure if the LMDh would be a Cadillac brand or a Corvette brand, but I can see the teams being folded into one. There has been word that the Corvette C8.R was built to allow it to run also as a GT3 car, so it could still continue in IMSA in theory, but if they still want to go to Le Mans the time for GT cars seems to be short.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

There's talk that the C8 Z06/ZR1 has room in it for a hybrid system. I wonder if that would fit in the regs for LMDh in the hypercar category?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
LMDh requires a next-gen LMP2 chassis, and a spec hybrid system, the existing corvette chassis wouldn't fit the regulations.

In theory, they might be able to homologate it as a LMH, but it would likely be overweight, too draggy, and not have enough downforce. If they chose to make a hybrid LMH, they would have to also make it a front hybrid, and redesign the front end to accept an AWD system. It could be a LMH, but it would likely be entirely uncompetitive.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It could be a LMH, but it would likely be entirely uncompetitive.

Yep - Aston Martin wanted the “road-car” based options allowed so they could race the Valkyrie, and since LMH is going to be BoP’d it could be in theory competitive.

But nobody else is using a road car platform for their LMH, and the LMDh are based on race cars too. Sooooo.

If they’re focused on IMSA with the chance to go to Le Mans, it’ll be an LMDh. The only question is which branding they want to do.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSSCESwA8dI

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Finally. Time for h.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Well it apparently can run for at least 12 minutes, so they probably have ByKolles beat at least.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Sounds pretty good too. I heard from a friend that it's basically a pair of Hyundai i20 WRC heads mated to a flat plane V8 short block, will be interested to see how reliability ends up. They're already at a disadvantage to Toyota with only being rear drive, whereas the Toyota is AWD (even though it's the same power output, they get to spread the load of acceleration into the front tires once they get out of the corners sufficiently to hit the minimum hybrid deploy speed), and also have the hybrid system to launch the car out of the pits, faster than ICE+clutch

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Based on what Peugeot is reporting to be doing, you can also theoretically game the electric boost in clever ways if you’ve got a full hybrid LMH. There was something in the rules about getting boost back after using a certain amount that would be beneficial for straightaways, can’t remember the details offhand.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
From what I understand, they're never allowed to exceed 670hp at any time, whether that's full ICE or ICE+hybrid, so the only real advantage to gaming it would be to sptrat tire wear a little more, we're not going to have LMP1H spaceship mario kart boost button out of corners anymore

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
It was weird to decide to get into auto racing and find out the kid you went to high school with has a dad who makes race cars and not just bad movies.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The entry list for the 24 Hours of Le Mans has been published, and while there could be changes, still plenty to see as of now.

• Hypercar - 5 Cars - The full-season WEC Toyotas and SCG cars joined by one Alpine, aka the Rebellion from last season grandfathered for this year.
  • LMP2 - 25 cars - Wowzers. Some surprises include usual Ferrari GT team Risi entering a LMP2, and a couple teams getting third entries.
  • GTE Pro - 7 cars - Two factory Porsches, two factory Ferraris, the two IMSA Corvettes, and the Weathertech Porsche from IMSA.
  • GTE Am - 24 cars - 13 entries from the WEC full-season, plus a third Aston Martin and five (!) additional private Ferraris.

Heavy on the privateers, but should still be an entertaining race.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Chances of an overall p2 victory looking tasty. Which is good because it is Gods Class (lovely driver rating system not withstanding)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

Chances of an overall p2 victory looking tasty. Which is good because it is Gods Class (lovely driver rating system not withstanding)

God that year loving owned and I Will Not Shut Up About It.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

God that year loving owned and I Will Not Shut Up About It.

It also helped that the team with the best chance of winning that year had previously been in P1 (Rebellion).

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
US only, but Michelin is sponsoring a free year of access to IMSA on NBC Sports Trackpass again.

If you have an account, including one with last year's offer still active, log in, hit that link, and enter the code MICHELINIMSA2021 when prompted. It should show as "IMSA on TrackPass - 2021 Season" in your subscriptions thereafter.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
gently caress yeah thanks

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

marshalljim posted:

US only, but Michelin is sponsoring a free year of access to IMSA on NBC Sports Trackpass again.

If you have an account, including one with last year's offer still active, log in, hit that link, and enter the code MICHELINIMSA2021 when prompted. It should show as "IMSA on TrackPass - 2021 Season" in your subscriptions thereafter.

owns

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hell yeah, thanks man!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

marshalljim posted:

Should I put this in the OP? I feel like I should.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Incredible tip, thanks!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Nice, now I can cancel my subscription and charge it to Michelin.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

marshalljim posted:

I just bought a new set of Contis so this feels dirty but gently caress it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think there was a news article posted about it before, but after a big earthquake a month or so ago, Ebisu Circuit suffered a decent amount of damage thanks to landslides. The famous drift circuit has now assessed the damage and has a fundraising link up in that SpeedHunters article; hopefully they can get it cleaned up, because it's got such a huge place in Japanese drift culture. It honestly doesn't look like much damage to the foundation, so that's good.

iwentdoodie posted:

I just bought a new set of Contis so this feels dirty but gently caress it

Ryan Eversley must thank you, that's the law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

harperdc posted:

Ryan Eversley must thank you, that's the law

He did and I love him.

And now I get to piss my wife off by yelling CAAAAAAAAHNtinetal every time we get in her car.