Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
P3's have either all died or have their pros in, they're being far too calm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Nybble posted:

Rolex24 has been great. Was about to post about KMag leading, but he just got a penalty that I’ve not heard of before? “Wheel rotation on the jack stand” - What’s that mean?

Picture a mechanic trying to remove a rear wheel and suddenly it starts turning at the idle of a 600hp engine. Hands don't much appreciate that sort of thing. It's to protect pit crew.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Ferrari is putting it in H in 2023

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Pretty good race though, aside from the reasonably light crashes that took an age to get the cars off circuit

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
LMDh requires a next-gen LMP2 chassis, and a spec hybrid system, the existing corvette chassis wouldn't fit the regulations.

In theory, they might be able to homologate it as a LMH, but it would likely be overweight, too draggy, and not have enough downforce. If they chose to make a hybrid LMH, they would have to also make it a front hybrid, and redesign the front end to accept an AWD system. It could be a LMH, but it would likely be entirely uncompetitive.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Sounds pretty good too. I heard from a friend that it's basically a pair of Hyundai i20 WRC heads mated to a flat plane V8 short block, will be interested to see how reliability ends up. They're already at a disadvantage to Toyota with only being rear drive, whereas the Toyota is AWD (even though it's the same power output, they get to spread the load of acceleration into the front tires once they get out of the corners sufficiently to hit the minimum hybrid deploy speed), and also have the hybrid system to launch the car out of the pits, faster than ICE+clutch

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
From what I understand, they're never allowed to exceed 670hp at any time, whether that's full ICE or ICE+hybrid, so the only real advantage to gaming it would be to sptrat tire wear a little more, we're not going to have LMP1H spaceship mario kart boost button out of corners anymore

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
gently caress yeah thanks

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I think the spec rubber will almost certainly get them close. The big places that GTLM has the advantage are the tires, aerodynamic efficiency with their huge diffusers (although the current crop of GT3s aren't far off), and a little bit of engine power, but I think most of it is tires. Those confidential Michelins are absurdly good.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
There's the replay :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYODTrXEjQQ

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
He was right about the ACO ruining LMP2 but even a broken clock etc.

The rest of his takes are hot garbage

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

track day bro! posted:

Even then Toyotas hypercar looks barely different from the previous LMP1H? Like is it massively different under the skin.

They really don't look much alike at all other than the high nose and general prototype shape. It's significantly bigger, pretty much all the features are smoothed out a bit, the wing is lower.

The one thing that really does make it look alike is the livery because corporate livery makers are loving uncreative as hell. Red white and black. Groundbreaking.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

toyota should go back to the blue scheme they used to have imo, it was much nicer than this audi knockoff scheme

:agreed:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

harperdc posted:

Oh hey an update on Glickenhaus - they've homologated the aero, will do a 30-hour test at Aragon in Spain soon with one chassis, and the second will race at Portimao before both join the WEC for Monza and Le Mans.

Can't lie, I would be frustrated if they don't send those to Fuji this year.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Jim doesn't plan on doing the flyaways this year.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
N24 is way better than Spa for the simple fact that it's not run by the SRO

Also because Volker Strycek and his 1988 Opel Manta that race every year, with a foxtail on the antenna.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

CactusWeasle posted:

The Spa 24 is mediocre at best :colbert:

:agreed:

SRO took a lot of the endurance part out of the race, with minimum pit stop times, no tire allocation rules forcing tire strategy, maximum stint lengths, mandatory timed long stops for brakes, and safety cars bunching the field after every FCY it just feels like an overly long sprint race, there's no real strategy involved.

Doesn't help that Pirelli's GT3 tire is absolutely shite and falls apart if you look at it wrong.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

net work error posted:

I thought they were retiring the car long term because it was getting harder to find parts and stuff?

The team running it originally stopped and one of the drivers stepped up and formed a team to run it for the time being. They're on the entry list this year.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t know anything about endurance racing because I watch the vastly superior Formula 1 (😍Lando, Charl, George).

Who is Dries Vanthoor and why do I feel like he’s been on my feed more than anyone else?

Also do weather delays pause the 24 hour clock?

The clock always stays running in a race session, especially for a 24hr race.

Dries Vanthoor is a factory Audi GT driver, and a pretty good one at that.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The racing was pretty solid at spa, new car reliability questions and a very small pace gap to the LMPs means the hypercard are being kept VERY honest, I suspect we'll be seeing overall P2 podiums a decent amount this year, and the gap between the Toyotas and the Alpine (ex-rebellion) was pretty minimal for the first round, it definitely isn't a given that Toyota will win at Portimao and beyond.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Fwiw I've not had an issue paying for it in the US for a couple years now, MTOD is the official blessed provider in the US but I've never been truly blocked out of it since the first year of that deal (and even then I just used a VPN

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Why does no one show Dubai any love :(

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Some say they're still trying to figure out the results

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

gret posted:

You'll have to subscribe to their Motor Trend On Demand service here in the US.

False, I've been using the WEC world feed for several years now in the US. They quietly dropped the geoblock it seems, and no one but me noticed, I guess. Been watching it all day on the WEC site.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Well if they think it is, it's broken af and we better not let them know, haha

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Well if they think it is, it's broken af and we better not let them know, haha

I think I figured it out. Buddy of mine just tried and was still geoblocked. Back when I first signed up I did it via VPN and told them I was in France, so I guess it doesn't check after that :laffo:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
There's also several teams pulling out of Formula E in the next few years as LMH/LMDh spin up to be the next hotness.

Edit:

Xisticide posted:

This also means it won't be as easy for the Hypercars to get by when they do lap the slower classes, so we might see more McNish-2011-like risky dives from the top class cars

We already saw some of that at Portimaõ, with a glickenhaus getting tangled with a P2 going for a move on a GT into T5

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
GTE Pro ending after 2022, seems no planned pro class for GT3 moving forward, so Corvette will have to find some amateur drivers if they wanna keep GT Racing at Le Mans in 2023 and beyond

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
GTE Am requires 2 ams, at least one bronze

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Dudley posted:

We're not letting Montoya get away with claiming a win in a semi-official subclass of a class at LeMans counts right?

Nah triple crown gotta be overall.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Thing is, Montoya doesn't give a shot about the triple crown unless there's an actual trophy and money involved, which is why him getting it would make me laugh even harder that he got it instead of Fernando

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm loving this entry list for Daytona, it's freaking stacked the whole way through, and a huge grid. Should be an awesome race.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

boop the snoot posted:

what am I watching?

a race?

a race before the race?

qualifying?

A 100 minute race that sets the grid for the Rolex 24, and pays qualifying points (1/10th of the standard race point amounts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
How do you follow rally other than these daily videos? I've never really followed rally, but it seems as good a time as any to check it out.