Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

an oddly awful oud posted:

Lol Mazda just killed their DPi program after this year and has confirmed they’re not doing LMDh at all

Everything sucks, the whole auto industry sucks

I mean as soon as John Doonan was out of the picture of course that was going to happen. Dude was the glue holding it together since Mazda Motorsports North America returned to Prototype racing in 2005, he kept it going through highs and lows for 15 years.

Really, could have called it when the new boss cut the team back to 1 car at the end of last year that it wasn't going to continue into the next formula. Also, new boss is immediately departing Mazda after the end of the season probably to fly back to Toyota after killing off the Prototype program.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm just laughing really hard about bringing in a dude from Toyota to run your prototype program, who immediately axes it before Toyota may potentially get involved in competing in the same field. It's not a great look!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

I get it, but it still sucks. They must not see much relevance to selling CUVs from a prototype program, even one at a bargain rate. Or they could see that their investment and efforts were only going to be good enough to be like fifth out of the group considering who’s joining in with private teams and deeper works driver programs.

I think as long as there’s still a Miata they’ll be present at the grassroots level, and that’s okay.

Give it a few years, the Miata doesn't really make them any money and they're trying to move upmarket. They'll come for that too. It'll be up in car heaven doing the :sadwave: alongside the RX series cars.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I love the gently caress out of my MX-5 and I am seriously debating whether to trade in my '16 for a '21 so I can get that 25HP bump along with the increased redline from the changes they made to the internals. I'll be really sad if they kill it off, but simultaneously they've sold less MX-5s every year, year on year, for like the last decade. It would be an easy target to free up R&D dollars.

E: Apparently they raised their sales numbers from in 2020 back to 2018 levels, but that was only like a thousand units increase from 2019 numbers. Still well below 10,000 units annually.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 13, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Ferrari is putting it in H in 2023

As long as the Ferrari looks like something I want to get in poster form and plaster on my wall I'm ok with it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

Ferrari haven't made a good looking car since the 60s...

Hey I liked the testarossa

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Good lord they pushed Petit Le Mans to mid-November, it is going to be colder than gently caress in the camping zones. fuuuuuck.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

marshalljim posted:

US only, but Michelin is sponsoring a free year of access to IMSA on NBC Sports Trackpass again.

If you have an account, including one with last year's offer still active, log in, hit that link, and enter the code MICHELINIMSA2021 when prompted. It should show as "IMSA on TrackPass - 2021 Season" in your subscriptions thereafter.

owns

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maybe if they had a livery or a homologated car they'd be on the poster :thunk:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gimme that NLS goodness

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://jalopnik.com/its-probably-time-to-repave-sebring-1846489631

I have found it, the wrongest hot take in endurance racing.

Yes I know it's a month old but drat. "Repave sebring because it's better when more cars finish within 1/10 of a second of the leader vs finishing in the garage with a broken suspension arm"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I love that the loving video he put in there refuted why sebring should be repaved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzVv1DyoJ6g

If you remove all the bumps, Sebring is a flat, boring track that will be min-maxed to the point where the track and race is irrelevant. The draw of the race is that if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

There's also people in the comments that call Laguna Seca's corkscrew a "mundane, boring chicane that dips down".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah some of the coolest poo poo in endurance racing has been when the pit crew tackles a normally race-ending problem and turns the car around and gets it back on the track to place and possibly win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKjVQbYcTiY

Example the 5 minute rear end change in one of the Audis in 2000.

Or the 23 and 17 minute turbo changes in 2014 that delivered a 1-2 Audi victory, when defeat seemed all but certain. (the 5 minute reduction in time was because the mechanics had burned their hands so badly on the first change that their hands were numb/melted to the inside of their gloves :gonk: and they couldn't feel the 1000 degree turbochargers any more)

gently caress anyone who says that more reliable cars more better.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

And since Alpine were beaten by a whole minute in 6 hours by one of the two Toyotas they've already ejected their toys.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/alpine-bop-changes-fuel-mileage-concerns/6502404/

gently caress sake.

Lol maybe they should bring an actual hypercar instead of a rules lawyered lmp1

Time to brush off the yellow penske spyder liveries I see

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

an oddly awful oud posted:

They need to go back to the white-yellow-red of the ‘80s and ‘90s. I’m not kidding, it would be extremely distinct and give the car a different identity in 2021

Didn't they do that as a throwback livery one year?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Warm up is on now with the main event starting in 3 or so hours which for me is 10:30pm. I'll at least watch the start before I head to bed

Is it wet out? Looks like it's a 50/50 shot at rain for the entire time

E: looks like the hourly predictions are it's going to rain for much of the night.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 5, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

I think this might be a 'welp we tried' and the race abandoned at the end of this formation lap.

Weather's that lovely?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Imagine calling a tilkedrome a nifty track.

It's not Tilke's fault really, they give him like 7 approved corners and tell him to make a track that meets grade 1 certification.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 7, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

dsriggs posted:

Those crappy Brands Hatch guard rails needed to be removed ages ago. They got SUPER lucky when this wreck happened in 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVd1HVlJD3A

RIP that marshal :(

But tradition

Fucks sake why aren't the marshals behind more durable fencing and barriers

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

If this happens another 6 or 7 times they really should consider doing something about it.

They'll form a committee, British racing orgs are good at it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://racer.com/2021/08/30/audi-drops-plans-for-factory-imsa-lmdh-program/

Week old at this point but Audi will not be shifting into H. At least not in the US.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

one more race and then finally, finally we are putting it in h

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

orange juche posted:

one more race and then finally, finally we are putting it in h

a much belated correction to this, apparently there's a whole nother loving season before we can put it in h.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The BoP cheating is going to be amazing for a little bit though.