Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

9 minutes left and the top five are still that close? Yikes :stare:

To be fair that's what happens when you BoP the same cars for years and if anyone does lose a lap you give it back for free every time a crisp packet blows across the track.

Still though, it was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

net work error posted:

Is lmp3 a season long class or was it just for daytona?

The class is there but only 5 of the 7 cars are entered for the season, basically just the Ligiers.

Which is at least better than LMP2 where only 3 of the 10 will be full season cars and GTE where only 3 of the 6 will be.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Is the sub available internationally?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

it's too bad that this year's schedule got so screwed up - twice - but the action is always good, and the quality is getting really good. Seems like hosting it in winter in UAE brought out more of the Europeans. Next weekend is two twilight races where we find out if Yas Marina can host a decent race!

Yeah they're missing some of their regulars but it's really easy for the non-Asian teams to both get to the middle east and do a 2 weekend schedule so it's actually a record grid for the series, or was in Dubai, very slightly lower car count here.

Then again that might be slightly biased when Algarve Pro are literally half the LMP2 field.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 20, 2021

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

I mean, are AF Corse half of the GTE field too? :v:

final race for the AsLMS is starting in a few minutes too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9vugofLkzI

Not quite that bad here, I *think* it's just their official 2 and the Formula Racing one.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So here's a question.

"G-Drive Racing" won a LeMans entry from the ALMS.

But G-Drive Racing don't exist, the car was run by Algarve Pro.

So who gets the entry? Is it the sponsor or the team? I assume the deal is already done for Algarve to run the car at LeMans like they did last year but what if there's a split or one or the other goes out of business?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Which one is "The Driver"?

I don't know how multiple entries work because in theory United Autosport have something like 5 LMP2 entries at this point.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Brass Hand posted:

Looks like Alpine is now competing in Hypercar this year. I can’t remember if they announced this previously or if it is a surprise today. Anyway here is the car:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport-news/alpine-a480-racer-revealed-wec-and-le-mans-contender

Yeah it's not a hypercar it's the Rebellion LMP1 in a coat.

Just like their last car is literally an Oreca 07.

I loving hate badge engineering.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

algebra testes posted:

So far the p2s are faster than the Alpine that's faster than the Hypercar

:psyduck:

I'm sure it will shake out but this owns. Chaos reigns.

The Rebellion was faster than faster LMP2 cars last year so they've royally hosed something.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And since Alpine were beaten by a whole minute in 6 hours by one of the two Toyotas they've already ejected their toys.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/alpine-bop-changes-fuel-mileage-concerns/6502404/

gently caress sake.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

orange juche posted:

Lol maybe they should bring an actual hypercar instead of a rules lawyered lmp1

It's just how these are going to be won now, it's not going to get any better when the real manufacturers arrive.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Well it's slower.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Oh hey an update on Glickenhaus - they've homologated the aero, will do a 30-hour test at Aragon in Spain soon with one chassis, and the second will race at Portimao before both join the WEC for Monza and Le Mans.

Can't lie, I would be frustrated if they don't send those to Fuji this year.

Tbh I'll believe them when I see them. I've just seen one too many company say "This round, not THIS round, no THIS ROUND" and then never/rarely show. eg - Nissan, Kolles, Ginetta....

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ELMS starting so you can enjoy how poo poo Paul Ricard is.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's pretty poo poo.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

algebra testes posted:

The only good thing last year was watching Michael Fassbender get murdered.

edit: I like him, it was just funny watching him get executed by an LMP2 or whatever. Welcome to sports cars buddy.

Being poo poo at popular culture I only found out he was anything other than a low grade racing driver earlier this year.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

yes, because both parties have the experience of running a WEC race at the same exact time as an IMSA race and it was Not Great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll7UqUGWlh0

"the 64 cars were separated into nine classes" :shepicide:

The Nurburgring 24 hours calls them all wusses.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

dsriggs posted:

Those crappy Brands Hatch guard rails needed to be removed ages ago. They got SUPER lucky when this wreck happened in 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVd1HVlJD3A

RIP that marshal :(

And the area that MR2 lands would be SUPER busy at a big meet. The main food stand is just left of the camera shot and it's also the main route for humans from the start straight to the rest of the circuit.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

One thing to take into account for LeMans is there's going to be a LOT less traffic in the race.

The GTs are quicker, the hypercars are slower than last year's LMP2s.

It was 45 seconds front to back last year. This year it's 26.

And the gap front to LMP2 has gone from 10 seconds to 2. So they're gonna be seeing the front of that field 1/5th as often.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 19, 2021

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

"Considering a safety car start"

For fucks sake.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Xisticide posted:

This also means it won't be as easy for the Hypercars to get by when they do lap the slower classes, so we might see more McNish-2011-like risky dives from the top class cars

The Toyota will just hybrid them but it's certainly going to be hell for the Alpine.

The Glickenhaus will be happy just to be ahead of the LMP2 field.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It just feels like they do this literally every time it's not perfectly dry.

That said in this case even I might have to accept it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

McNish saying he'd send them out on inters behind the SC.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Which at least makes the jokes easier.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ah the stealth SC start, don't announce it in the deadline but then just leave the SC out.

So what's the point of the 15 minute deadline?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Glickenhaus, heroes of LMP2.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I didn't even know the BTCC was racing this week.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

How the gently caress is the Glickenhaus allowed to drive around with broken headlights?
Race director is asleep.

While it's still officially a wet race too.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think the Toyota is always going to play safe on that score, even with the JOTA homing in. They now know if the 7 doesn't have a mechanical it's probably the winner.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

If I'm getting that I've not noticed but I'm on the "official" stream.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Also, I'm not in love with the programming where they switch between the different classes - why does there have to be a sound effect and a cut away from the video?

Oh god I just actually noticed this for the first time and I hate it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

For fucks sake, Glikenhaus are basically ByKolles without the charm or competence.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Glikenhaus heroically running 14th and 17th in a 5 car race.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That's actually freaky.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Apparently not enough people have died loving with race tracks to tell that oval office with the flag you perhaps don't gently caress with a live race track while 2 cars are fighting for a win.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

congratulations, you aimed the cartoon anvil

somebody needed to yank him back off the track when it was clear half a lap prior that there was A LMP2 Battle going to the line

Yeah that's the thing, if it's all settled and you know everyone is parading it's one thing but it was very clear that the 28 was going to catch the 31 on the line.

Maybe at least put him much further up the track as a ceremonial thing.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

We're not letting Montoya get away with claiming a win in a semi-official subclass of a class at LeMans counts right?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'll rank him above everyone else on 2 but triple crown this ain't.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Presumably at Brands Hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Space Butler posted:

Did the guy who crashed in British superbikes come out of the coma yet?

Yeah he left hospital last week.