Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Main Paineframe posted:

what are y'all's thoughts on people getting fooled by satirists and posting joke tweets that they didn't realize were jokes

I've seen a fair few instances of that lately

Can we just auto-probate anyone who posts a tweet? Problem solved :v:

My actual answer: If someone is posting a tweet, like the one from the comedian today, the poster should realize that and post a disclaimer as well. I don't think it's too much to ask people to ensure they post the full context of a twitter account/tweet if it's not 100% obvious. An example IMO of "100% obvious": AP News twitter account posting a tweet about a news story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Jaxyon posted:

It's bullshit that the Tara Reade accusations on the sitting president are forbidden discussion in the USPOL thread.

Yes it does turn into a lot of poo poo when it comes up, because people feel strongly about it. The solution there is to mod more on it, otherwise you're going to continue to have people bringing it up over and over because it's not being addressed.

Saying "this always causes a poo poo show" reeks of "this is just causing drama" which is what lots of orgs and groups do when people bring up injustice, be it, racial, gender, or sexual assault, in order to silence it.

And don't accuse me of brigading in from CSPAM I don't post there.

The president being an accused rapist is just as relevant for Biden as it was for Trump. Or Clinton. And you're telling SA victims how much they matter when you're banning discussion when it's about certain people.

edit: In case it's unclear why this is in the sourcing thread, this explicitly came up during discussion of whether RT was a relevant source, in USPol

Maybe we should have a separate thread for rape/sexual assault in politics that Biden being a rapist is discussed to the nth degree in? As far as the USPOL thread, a lot of the time its brought up, it's in non-good faith reasons IMO. It's posters who just want any excuse to bring it up so they can play the gotcha :smug: card instead of engaging in what a poster is actually saying.

Such as today, it was used to try to claim RT is a relevant/valid source with news you cannot find elsewhere because she wrote an op-ed for them. This is laughably false because she gave interviews to 60 minutes, Megyn Kelly, etc. I'm sure if that poster tried harder, they could have actually found some story that RT carried that wasn't mentioned in any other media (ignoring the fact that a single RT story wouldn't make them a "credible" source IMO anyways). But that poster immediately slammed the Reade button.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

It's relevant to USPOL, it should be in USPOL

Relegating it to another thread is, again, far too similar to how sexual assaults are handled badly in other organizations/settings. "This causes too much drama and it's just here to try and undermine [important person who is accused]. But we care, so you can have a safe place to talk about it while we ignore you"

Last time I checked, lots of political related things are relegated to their own threads in D&D. USPol is focused on current US news. There's been no new developments about Biden being a rapist or Tara Reade for quite a while. It does nothing but causes multiple page derails of poo poo that's been said a million times before.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 4, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Saying "sexual assault allegations deserve to be talked about" isn't some performative nobility white knight poo poo. It's pretty basic.

I've seen SA talked about in a lot of orgs and it mostly goes exactly like this. People who want to deny it stir up a huge amount of poo poo and then someone can say "welp it causes drama, we should stop talking about it".

Please show me where the rule or mod-given order of "no posting about sexual assault in current US political news in the USPol thread" exists? I'll even do you a solid and show you where the "post in good faith" rule exists, which was broken when Reade was brought up today as an excuse to try to justify RT when its commonly known she had given interviews to other news sources:

fool of sound posted:

In order to facilitate this, the following additional rules are in effect:
---Post in good faith, and assume others are posting in good faith: Playing devil’s advocate is tiresome; post things you genuinely believe or are curious about. Unless you have ample reason to do so, assume that others also believe what they post, and react accordingly. If you disagree with someone, aim to inform or convince; do not assume malice. If you suspect that someone is trolling, repeating disproved claims, or lying about their positions or facts, disengage gracefully and report them.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 4, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Rockit posted:

Just the simpstic Knee-jerk of "source bad" lead people to defend an Islamophobic Russian nationalist who only opposed an annexation and supports other while condoning race riots. If you don't think that's necessarily counts as being an "Far right insurrectionist" fine that there was more to it than russia fake news. Sure one of my sources was indeed the hill but i just looked at what they sourced and confirmed for myself what he said. Didn't even bother to read the hill.

Straightforward source dismissal is ultimately a lazy static and is against the ethos of effort posting and talking to others. It's true that RT is exploitative propaganda but I feel that makes it more important to suss out to do the research on whether it's completely making something up, twisting an half truth, or exploiting an legitimate issue. Telling people the well they're just brainwashed and not actually enaged with the inaacturares like what a source dismissal does isn't good faith

By all means if how they use poo poo sources or misread sources show them to be an rear end punish them and if the actual actual has no evidence or other articles refute then it does make sense just go source bad but for it to be the automatic response to the problem isn't in line with the board's ethos and at best their defense is "They don't deserve to be treated better."

TBF, this goes way beyond simple source dismissal. The OP that started all of this posted tweets without looking anything up about them. Without providing any context. In which the tweets were a mess of screenshotted tweets/article headings/etc mashed together.

The issue at hand is because it is common in USPol to see people who are a) posting information without verifying it, and b) posting context-less jargon without providing their own views/explanations because it fits their narrative.

In my initial response, yes, I did question the source of it being from an RT reporter. I stated my initial skepticism of this. However, I also looked up one of the claims that he made and showed how he was trying to paint a false picture. For reference, here's my response:

Kalit posted:

A journalist who works for (or used to recently work for) RT America doesn't like Matt Duss?? I'm shocked :rolleyes: How about you post some context in addition to these "hot takes" next time.

For example, what's wrong with that Guardian article called Patience in Afghanistan? Based on Rubinstein's post, it appears that he's inferring that Duss is advocating for continued war in Afghanistan. However, when you read the article, Duss is saying patience is needed to see the outcome of their election before sending even more troops over.

Please actually put some effort into looking up the author and content of tweets you post in addition to providing your own thoughts on what you're posting. This is a terrible post.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 4, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Rockit posted:

An effort post isn't just only rebutting one point and going "source bad" on the rest. It's possible for Duss to be reasonable on Afghanistan while unreasonable on syria(This is just an hypothetical..i assume otherwise but will do my own research on that) and when you're comparing your candidate to someone who condoned race riots you kind of are showing your own rear end. Not condoning that behavior as the tweets claim i assume but does show ignorance that isn't appropriate for someone trying to do FP.

I'm not claiming my post was an effort post. I'm claiming that the OP was posting terribly and didn't even bother to look up what they were posting to ensure that the tweets were accurate (since at least the one I pointed out was wildly inaccurate/purposefully taken out of context). While also making a snide remark about the source of the tweets.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 4, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Aruan posted:

Beyond punishing people for lying about what a source claims or posting clickbait misleading garbage, I don’t think it’s the responsibility of moderators to police sources. The key to this, though, is to let people refute sources in real time. You are welcome to post something from RT and other posters are equally welcome to dunk on you for that. If you can’t defend your post then you’re going to get proverbially owned. Let the thread police itself.

The problem with this is it promotes lazy posting while also feeds disinformation to lurkers/posters who only look at tweets/etc and do not follow discussions. For example, with that RT anti-Duss tweet, someone multiple pages later used a phrase from that tweet (Russian hawk). They were saying something to the effect of the US is ramping up interference in Russia's demostic policy because they're hiring Russian hawks like Duss.

Luckily that poster engaged with others and admitted they just accepted that tweet at face value. They realized they were wrong about Duss somehow being more anti-Russian than the average politician. So my point is "self-moderation" will still have people absorb incorrect information. If you probe someone for a week or two, then they might think harder about posting the first tweet they see that supports their view.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

fool of sound posted:

This thread is relevant to all of D&D but is particularly important to the upcoming USNews thread.

As for the question, I think that the issue isn't "should the Reade column be banned"; it's more "should the person posting the column be asked to defend it up front because it's published by a questionable outlet" and "to what degree is it appropriate to criticize the outlet rather than the content of the article".

Yea, I think this becomes a big question when it comes to articles about things that cannot be confirmed. For example, a NYT reporter vs an RT reporter being an exclusive source that says something along the lines of "White House officials are discussing sanction options on Iran". I don't know the feasibility of this occurring, but in my opinion posting an NYT reporter saying that is responsible where as posting an RT reporter saying that is irresponsible.

Which comes back to what sources are trustworthy and to what extent. I don't have a good idea without maintaining a "trustworthy news outlet" list. Maybe enforcing a format if you're posting a news-related tweet or article to at least make posters think through what they're posting? It could be enforcing a few basic questions for the poster to include, such as ones that have been posted earlier in this thread (e.g. "Who is the author/if a tweet from a personal account, what professional relevance do they have", "Where else I looked to confirm that this information is accurate, if applicable/not exclusive", etc). It might be too burdensome for some posters, but I think something that discourages :justpost: isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Regardless, if someone keeps posting false information/random twitter accounts making up information/etc, I think their probations should be severely ramped.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

There literally are people ITT arguing that anything published by RT is wrong because it is foreign russian propaganda.

Who ITT said everything published by RT is wrong? I've only seen people talk about skepticism regarding the news articles that they publish.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

I see posters who are saying that RT should not be considered a trustworthy news source, not

OwlFancier posted:

There literally are people ITT arguing that anything published by RT is wrong because it is foreign russian propaganda.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Please illustrate the difference to me between saying that Reade cannot be trusted and that Reade is wrong or lying. Other than phraseological cowardice.

Why are you bringing up an analogy and trying to tie this in with Reade? We're talking about you saying posters ITT are literally saying everything published in RT is wrong.

Insanite posted:

Additionally, given previous context, what's the probable difference between prohibiting a source and forcing posters to fill out a source quality checklist--that is not required for 'trusted' sources--before sharing it in this forum.

TBH, I think Cefte got all of this right on page 1.

If you're talking about my post for the "source quality checklist", I meant that for all news source posts/tweets. Granted, the feasibility of that might be difficult to implement without have a different post template.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 9, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Yeah lol, I think they agree almost fully, not sure why they're railing against each other...

Yea, this post:

Jarmak posted:

Accusations of bad faith posting are god damned Trumpian levels of projection here.

Was in response to this post:

Roland Jones posted:

... it's not like the British Broadcasting Corporation isn't effectively controlled by the party in power...

And then Solkanar512 mis-interpreted who Jarmak was saying that about, since Jarmak quoted multiple posters in that post:

Solkanar512 posted:

Yes, directly insulting me as “trumpian” is surely the way to convince me that you’re posting in good faith.

So basically, a mix up in what comments was directed at who.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Dett Rite posted:

2. Why did they post it?

Because Tara Reade's op-ed was posted in USPOL, and ignited considerable discussion to which he finds himself opposed.
5. What details were left out, and why?

The context in which these metrics were proposed (someone posted an op-ed by Tara Reade discussing her rape, which he believed should not be permitted)

And now, here we have an example of a post that is showing how to peddle misinformation. The considerable discussion didn't stem from someone posting Reade's op-ed in USPOL. It stemmed from me asking if RT was a reliable source, as a poster before that had posted tweets by an RT journalist that seemed misleading/posted without reading. The only reason why Reade's op-ed was brought up was because it was trying to be used as justification for why RT can be a trusted source (well after RT was being discussed).

The start of Russia/RT chat was some random, obviously mis-leading and without additional context, anti-Duss takes from Alex Rubenstein, an RT journalist (unsure if Rubenstein is currently RT, but was as of a few years ago). I left out the tweets to keep my post shorter:

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Woah, Matt Duss!

Then, in the following pages, I asked about the trustworthiness of RT

Kalit posted:

Speaking of Russiachat, is RT America a reliable news source or not? I'm just wondering if any journalist who works (or recently worked for) them should be trustworthy or not.

Then a little later, when Neurolimal was defending RT, this was asked:

Thom12255 posted:

What should we trust that comes out of Putins mouthpiece though? Anything RT says is true can be found easily in multiple other outlets that aren't run by a mafia anti-democratic state.

Which became the first time the Reade op-ed got brought up:

Neurolimal posted:

Without getting into the specifics because that's apparently sensitive for USPOL: how many other major outlets have let Tara Reade write an opinion piece?

As you can see, this discussion of how trustworthy RT/news sources are wasn't due to Reade's op-ed being posted in USPol. This topic was already being discussed before it was even mentioned.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 9, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Insanite posted:

I know that I mentioned Reade's editorial because banning RT in this forum would mean banning the sharing of her editorial.

Likewise, assigning posters homework as a prerequisite for sharing RT content would, at the least, discourage sharing her editorial.

I don't appreciate being told that I'm discussing it just to slam people.

"This is an op-ed written in the state-run news outlet of Russia" :shrug: Also, I didn't see anyone running into the USPOL thread and sharing it anyways. It was only brought up as a defense of RT a couple of days after it was written.

To be clear, I don't think we should outright ban news outlets. But I think putting it in the same tier as Fox News/OANN/etc is fair? I don't believe there's any hard set rules about those, but everyone seem to know to avoid using those (or their reporters) as a source.

Also, does anyone actually knowingly* use RT as a source (beyond the reference to that Reade op-ed)? I honestly don't think I have seen it used (or at least not on a regular basis).

*I assume the poster who posted those anti-Duss tweets didn't even bother to see the the twitter account belonged to an RT journalist.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 9, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Insanite posted:

It's not a defense of RT. It's an example of a consequence of source homework/ban policies that I'd hope everyone can agree would be bad.

Why do you think needing to look into a source you're using is a bad thing? If someone is too lazy to do that, I would rather them not be posting information.

E:

Insanite posted:

"But I think putting it in the same tier as Fox News/OANN/etc is fair? I don't believe there's any hard set rules about those, but everyone seem to know to avoid using those (or their reporters) as a source."

I think this is already the case, and it seems to work fine? I don't know why there's such an appetite for source blacklists or graylists.

Yes, with regards to RT, it's not a big problem. Which is why I'm so confused on why there's numerous posters that seems to be defending them. But the biggest problem, IMO, is tweets being posted and not looking up who is tweeting it and where those are sourced.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 9, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Insanite posted:

What constitutes looking into a source?

If it's filling out a pre-posting checklist, that's a chilling effect and also seems a weird + onerous.

If it's thinking critically about posting a story before sharing, and eating a probe if that story is obviously misleading, that should already be the status quo.

That's what this thread is for. I honestly don't know what the best option is. The pre-posting checklist would be a nice uniform way of enforcing people to think about what they're posting instead of :justpost: But it becomes more onerous for IKs/mods to enforce and would lead to a lot of upset people if they didn't know to do that.

On the other hand, people keep posting misleading/incorrect/badly sourced tweets (and occasional articles). Even if they get probed for it, it's still occurring on a regular basis and it still leads to spreading misinformation to other posters, especially if they are lurkers that only look for tweets/news clips. For example, a poster was convinced that the US was going to start interfering in Russia's domestic policy because Duss, a "Russia hawk" (their words), was hired. After they engaged with other posters, they admitted it was because they saw those anti-Duss tweets of an RT journalist that were posted pages prior calling Duss a "Russia hawk" and took it at face value.

So what's the best way to prevent misinformation being posted while also making the thread manageable to moderate? I would lean towards heavier requirements to posting sources/tweets :shrug:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 9, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Jarmak posted:

edit: To be clear on context, that one-liner off the top rope was the first time Tara Reade was mentioned in the discussion.

Look up 3 posts from that one.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

Making posters go through a checklist just seems condescending. It is always a good idea to interrogate where your media is coming from, but we're all adults here, and anyone posting in D&D is familiar enough with NPR, WaPo, Fox, BBC, RT, CGTN, etc to understand their inherent biases, where they get their money, why they cover or don't cover certain stories and so on. I don't see a lot of posters barging in with "Hillary Eats Babies" stories sourced from patriotguneagle.biz.cx or whatever.

This is why I'm more worried about news-related tweets. But if there's a checklist type thing for news-related tweets, I think it's better to just make it consistent across any news-related source that's being posted.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

What is needed is a consistent, generally applicable, consistently enforced rule.

Proposed rule
When a user links a tweet or story in USPol, they should say:
A) what the source is,
B) why it's credible or why it's specifically not credible, and
C) why or who the mediating source is if there is one (like someone posting a sentence over a story link in a tweet or video that changes how it's read).

Thank you for the wonderful post. I agree, something simple, concise, and consistent. Even if it's slightly annoying to keep doing it for links or tweets that are directly to NYT, CNN, etc, it keeps it even so people don't object and start unneeded derails (for example, another derail of "why RT isn't considered credible?").

If this ends up being something that's required, I do think it would be good to have a common/consistent format that's laid out in the rules (or OP of USPOL) thread that everyone follows.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 11, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

We don't need more rules when the mods can't keep up enforcing the existing ones. There's not much risk of people being passively propagandized when there's an army of posters ready to explain how everyone agreeing with an article from Reason is plotting to undermine the entire administrative state.

It would definitely cut down on derails. It would also be more transparent with posters and lurkers that pay more attention to news posts/tweets and not individual posts.

Plus, I would say the pages of "whether RT is a credible source" derails in this thread and USPOL thread is showing exactly why we need to change something. It might even make the mods jobs easier. Instead of reading through the slapfights that are caused by sourcing/hot take tweets/etc, they instead just probate those who do not follow a new source format.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

I dunno it sounds like the issue is the endless slapfights and hot takes. We could just moderate those?

Especially if we're banning specific sources anyway. There's 'no blacklist', but there is because someone just got probed for posting a PU video while literally saying that they are terrible but bringing up a specific broken clock incident.

If I cross post that Prager U video into the libertarian thread to point out that even they agree that Jrod is a dumb lost causer, do I get mod smacked?

Maybe a mod could correct me, but it seems like trying to wade through slapfights/derails from hot takes to understand context/who to probe is what's so time consuming/hard to moderate in the USPOL thread.

As far as that probation on linking a PragerU video and if that should/should not have occurred :shrug: TBH, it seems unfair to me that Vahakyla got probed but the_steve didn't for being the first one to bring up PragerU, but that's a current moderation decision. The post by Discendo Vox doesn't seem to be advocating for that style of moderating though.

E: Looking at the probation reason again, maybe saying "go watch this" was the crossing line, even though additional context was provided? TBH, randomly linking a cropped screenshot of their twitter account that doesn't contain any news/political information doesn't seem any better to me.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 11, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

No. You need to make them say it. If they can think it's obvious, then you're just going to get the same issues of people spamming "obvious", misleading, tweets. Enforcement also becomes subjective. This keeps all the problems of toxic abuse and feedback that a clear rule would avoid.

I agree with this. This new proposal doesn't seem like anything would change from how currently things are. Which, if that's what you're going for, that's fine. I would just like to see slightly more effort put into posting new political news stories/blurbs/takes/etc.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 16, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Then how is there any difference between how different sources should be treated? The standard would just be a universal "a source should include some sort of concrete evidence of what it's claiming," and this would apply regardless of what the source is. So there wouldn't actually be a difference between the way CNN and RT are treated, since posting either source would need to include some sort of evidence that the claims in the article are accurate (which to be clear is my own view on how things should work).

IMO, I believe that "less credible" sources (RT, Epoch Times, Fox News, etc) should be treated as more "if this isn't 100% accurate/reliable, you're getting probated" philosophy. Or something like "finger on the probation button" unless there's a good reason someone is using sources like those.

For example, if there's a "this anonymous source within the White House says X" story in CNN (or by a CNN reporter) and the poster clearly states that part, I feel like that's good enough to not get probated, even if proven false. However, if the same thing occurs with an RT story (or an RT reporter), I would say that's instantly worthy of a probation (unless the poster states something like "this RT story is using CNN as a source but added this additional context which is 100% accurate, which is why I'm linking it").

Granted, this example probably is unlikely with RT, I just wanted to throw a simple example out there. Something more realistic, with RT specifically, would be them pushing false narratives with regards to Syria.

For the record, I'm not saying "create a less credible source list". I think the majority of posters avoid using those sources anyway. But I think using "less credible" sources (as interpreted by most posters) is a bad thing and should be avoided if possible.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I think the complete opposite would make more sense (though I think that ideally such probations would be consistent regardless of source). It's easy to point to actual dramatic real-world consequences of people trusting sources like CNN or the NYTimes (and a history of such sources directly laundering government talking points through stories that cite "anonymous sources" or just directly quote State Department press releases, etc), but the same isn't even remotely true for something like RT* (with regard to the consequences part).

* For example, regarding the example you give with Syria, what are the actual consequences? Are you concerned that such things will prevent the US from attacking Syria? Situations like this are basically consistent with the idea that it's bad to trust media when the topic is one where said media can be expected to have an obvious bias or conflict of interest (regarding Syria, both US and Russian media are inherently compromised). But in terms of consequences, US media propaganda can be tied to support for essentially every harmful US military endeavor. It's hard for me to think of downsides resulting from "the US public being convinced a foreign country isn't bad" (edit: actually I can think of some, but it only applies in situations where the public feels positively about a harmful country that the US government also materially supports, like Saudi Arabia or Israel; so it would be bad if the US was giving material aid to Assad and people supported this, but there's no realistic scenario where US media is making people hate a country that the government supports)
So... I think this is probably where our opinions differ. It sounds like you think because RT has a smaller audience/market share in the US, they should be scrutinized less. Is that a fair statement, based on you talking about real-world consequences? Of course, the bigger market share a news outlet has, the more people will believe/rally around something that is incorrect.

Also, as far as your edit, there are plenty of articles from CNN/NYT/etc that are critical of Israel/Saudi Arabia and their leaders? I'm guessing that the support among the US populace of Israel over Palestine (and other human rights issues regarding Israel) is due to most politicians' views.

Ytlaya posted:

It also doesn't make sense to compare RT and Fox News, since "news with the obvious bias of being negative about the US and opposed to US foreign policy" is inherently going to be more correct than "news with the obvious bias of supporting the Republican Party/neocons." All news has some sort of direct ideological angle which should be accounted for. For example, you obviously would not want to use RT as a source about Russia-related topics, but you similarly would not want to use the NYTimes as a source about anything involving US foreign policy (since it has a long history of propagating state talking points).
Why do you think that since RT and Fox News have a different target, they are not comparable? They both knowingly publish misinformation/lies in their news articles for a specific purpose.

Ytlaya posted:

I think that people in the US (or US-allied countries with similar media, like the UK) usually can't look at our own media with clear eyes, because it's been normalized for us our entire lives (and there's also a whole ecosystem of NGOs that exist to legitimize state policy). Taking it seriously is just "what you do" and it's ridiculous to even think of treating it in the same way you treat bad foreign media. Maybe it makes mistakes by echoing pro-war talking points that destroy entire countries, but those are just honest mistakes and should have no influence on how future reporting is perceived. Even if we acknowledge problems with it, we think there's somehow more "nuance" to it because it feels "normal" to us (as opposed to the spooky foreign propaganda). But actual history does not support this perspective - US media has never failed to be a mouthpiece for the most horrific things our country has done, and there's no rational reason for someone to be more concerned about foreign propaganda than mainstream domestic US media.
It's true that we should not trust media as 100% truth. However, I think intention behind stories/news outlets are extremely important. Everyone gets things wrong. Media like CNN/etc sometimes give US politicians the benefit of the doubt on what is true. But if you cannot access the classified information, it's kind of hard to fact check things like that.

Ytlaya posted:

So I can't really understand what reasonable cause there is for someone to be concerned and upset about relatively obscure foreign media occasionally saying wrong or misleading things with the intent of opposing US foreign policy/military involvement. At worst it's just white noise - why should I care if a handful of people are persuaded towards the correct position for potentially incorrect reasons, especially when, on the other side, you have media with a long history of persuading most of the American public to support actions with 6-7 figure casualties? It's like comparing an ant with an elephant.
Overall, it seems like you and I differ on what we value in a news thread on this forum. I do not see it as "white noise". I don't want people posting Newsmax as an actual news source on here, even though it has a small viewership (especially prior to December 2020) and only "a handful of people" are influenced. I value truth and honesty and do not want to spread mis-information, despite how little the overall impact it would have. By truth and honesty, I mean news outlets that are not knowingly using misinformation/lies in their news articles.

I do think intent is very important when it comes to news reporting (along with not being overly naive and taking things at 100% face value). It just seems like you do not share this same opinion :shrug: Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I am not trying to put words in your mouth.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 25, 2021