Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jaxyon posted:

Bad posting behavior is what should be moderated. If I post numerous good citations and somebody reposts their same 3 sources or just goes "nuh uh economics is 100% made up and so was the Tiananmen Square massacre" then yeah they get the ban. Because they were a bad poster. Not because the mods are the arbiters of who is right or won the debate.

This is a perfectly fine perspective to have here, but I want to point out how often this takes the form of pages of fighting back and forth, randos (maybe randos, maybe IKs, no way to know!!) complaining that “this is boring” and then a mod finally coming in and hitting everyone because it’s gotten nasty and angry. This happens in the non-USPOL context as well, especially in technology or other niche threads.

So how much “debating” are folks willing to actually tolerate? How angry are subject matter experts allowed to be when they point to subject/industry specific sources and continue to be ignored by folks who style themselves as experts without any evidence or effort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

In any case, these types of issues should be easy to pinpoint if my and Discendo Vox's suggestion ends up becoming the standard: when something is posted, identify the author and try to point out their potential biases, and post the actual article or snippets from it. In fact, people have done this in the past and it is how we have collectively come to determine that Haberman regularly acted as the Trump family's mouthpiece.

This is just common sense. Put some effort into your post before you start going off like a white hot ball of pure anger.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Folks posting dishonest or misleading links (or similarly misrepresenting completely normal links) should get a week minimum. The pages and pages of garbage that come from this sort of poo poo stirring is obnoxious and it's usually the same people doing it over and over again.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

axeil posted:

When looking at any source people need to ask these questions to themselves:

D&D has proven almost completely incapable of critically analyzing sources beyond "I like this/agree with this, ergo good" which is why we absolutely should not tolerate bad sourcing and we need to work on improving our collective ability to critically examine sources. I would be shocked if people on this forum could regularly answer even half these questions about things they post.

This is a serious problem. If you aren't able to critically evaluate information, having a productive discussion space is hopeless.

Not incapable, just unwilling. If the source scores points for "praxis" or whatever the gently caress, then it gets posted

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jarmak posted:

The fact that we're in this thread doing a a ridiculous reductio ad absurdum about how the BBC is the same as RT because someone managed to generalize the idea of propaganda to three true/false questions is exhibit loving A of exactly what propaganda outlets like RT are trying to accomplish.

It’s telling how the folks doing this refuse to agree to just explain when posting something why they believe the source to be good and their own opinion on the particular topic.

Nothing more than bad-faith posting.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jarmak posted:

Accusations of bad faith posting are god damned Trumpian levels of projection here.

Yes, directly insulting me as “trumpian” is surely the way to convince me that you’re posting in good faith.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jarmak posted:

You accused me of posting in bad faith, and in return I provided evidence that that was clearly not the case, and that if anything you were posting in bad faith.

Now you're crying because your original, bullshit accusation got turned around on you? Yeah, "make baseless accusations about others doing exactly what you're already doing, cry about people being mean to you when this gets pointed out" fits the mold of "Trumpian" pretty drat well.

No, this isn't how it works, you don't get to reduce and generalize things in bad-faith because the person you're arguing with doesn't give you an argument you have a prepared response for.

It is "how it works". You won't show us why people should be allowed to post anything they want without bothering to show that the source has some legitimacy or disclosing the point of posting the source in the first place. This is because the only reason to defend such a position is to excuse the constant shitposting of garbage ranging from unsourced rumors to outright lies that "feel right" and get used as a cudgel against others. That's it, there's no debate to be had when this happens and the fact you couldn't address the meat of my argument and went straight to insults further proves my point.

It's bad faith posting, take responsibility for what you post instead of lashing out and projecting on others.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jarmak posted:

I can read their post that way too now that you mention it. I took "people who do this are posting in bad faith" after quoting me to be referring to me, but I can see how they could be refering to the people I was talking about... but why double down when I pushed back instead of indicating that they weren't talking about me?

Sorry for the confusion and anger then.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What is the material difference between the two, when it comes to any given article? The motivation of the journalist is different, but whether they're coldly doing what they're told, completely aware of the actual purpose of their actions, or they're being swept up in the emotions of the moment and convinced by the lies of the government, the outcome is the same: The populace is deceived by the media, according to the wishes of the ruling class.

Sure, the person with the brief of "Run the story we tell you to, like we tell you to, otherwise just report the truth when it undermines our enemies" is probably* going to be doing more heavy lifting in deceiving the populace, but the "naïve" journalist that lets their adherence to authority and near-unquestioned belief in the common narrative of the nation blind them to the truth of what they're doing is doing the exact same "Make the lie plausible because its mixed in with truthful reporting" thing people have been harping on. Whether that is propaganda or not isn't really relevant to the question of the trustworthiness of an article, hence the need to be at least a little skeptical of all sources.

*If you've yourself been deceived about the world, even honest reporting can be as damaging as knowing deception.

You're conflating temporary issues that are corrected later with constant and systemic malice. There's a massive difference and you need to acknowledge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

fool of sound posted:

OK, so the rough draft of new rule that I'm kicking around looks like:

This looks great and I hope it's enforced as often as needed.