Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

the issue with this standard is it also means we can't post the NYT or WaPo or basically any major newspaper source, because it's been proven constantly that they've done active collusion with the US government to launder fake stories to absolute genocidal ends such as the Iraq war leadup being a constant cycling of 'anonymous sources' that turned out to be Rumsfeld's chosen mouthpieces supporting other 'anonymous sources' that turned out to be Cheney's all overtly working with the reports to launder a lie. How does that not make them as much a propaganda arm of the US government than RT is Russia's?

This is false equivalence because state propaganda is RT's sole reason for existence. NYT and WaPo do occasionally (and usually unwittingly) act as mouthpieces of bad actors, but unlike RT, their primary goal is to act as the Fourth Estate. Indeed, they do frequently hold their own government to account, and do really important investigative work to expose the dark side of both government and corporations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

If somebody is wrong, they are going to post wrong poo poo, and you can prove them wrong, you can post correct sources.

That's debate.

Your issue seems to be that people who are bad and wrong might continue to post after you prove them wrong. They will. You can't stop them. Having a moderator stop them is a stupid idea.

"someone is wrong on the internet" is not a thing that should be mod enforceable.

Bad posting behavior is what should be moderated. If I post numerous good citations and somebody reposts their same 3 sources or just goes "nuh uh economics is 100% made up and so was the Tiananmen Square massacre" then yeah they get the ban. Because they were a bad poster. Not because the mods are the arbiters of who is right or won the debate.

This isn't remotely what they are saying, bud.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really think that is true. Propaganda is when people I don't like do it.

If I want you to believe something I am going to construct an environment which will cause you to believe it, how I do that is irrelevant, the objective is to make you believe the thing I want you to believe. That will probably involve showing you information which I can convince you is true but that has only a tangential relationship to the actual veracity of the information, and the more important thing is again the whole environment, because the more comprehensive it is the less I have to worry about relying on any particular source.

Thus is is entirely possible for me to cite accurate information and turn it into what is by any reasonable definition, propaganda, because it is merely a facet of a wider attempt at coercion.

Your definition of propaganda in this context is overly broad and misses the mark.

Here's the short version: political propaganda almost always originates with official government sources, usually via a statement by an administration or one of its agencies or officials. State-controlled and/or state-funded media institutions (such as RT or Zvezda TV, in the case of Russia) take that propaganda and create messaging around it for various audiences, both domestic and international*. That messaging (which can differ or even be contradictory, based on its target audience) is then picked up by other outlets that have a global audience and may be aligned with, but not directly funded by, that government (such as News Front), and proliferates through both witting and unwitting agents of the narratives. From there, it is distributed to and weaponized for social media, usually in the context of undermining faith in institutions or amplifying civil discord. During that whole time, the reporting will be amplified and reinforced by sources both earlier in and at the same level of the funnel.

That last bit, i.e. social media weaponization, is something we are very familiar with here in D&D: it comes in the form of both hot takes from randos or intentionally inflammatory misrepresentations from more well-known figures, who have swallowed the propaganda hook, line and sinker because it has been carefully crafted to infiltrate domestic discussions by aligning with certain worldviews (that are almost always anti-government and anti-institution in some form).

This is not to say that all propaganda is foreign. What it means, though, is that simply pushing an agenda is not necessarily propaganda; they have overlaps, but also important differences. Propaganda always mixes facts with fiction, and its goal is always to sow discontent and mistrust and cause chaos amongst real or perceived adversaries. If you work for a non-profit whose mission is to promote fair working conditions, and you publish a white paper showing the benefits of increasing minimum wage, you aren't necessarily pushing propaganda. If you work for Breitbart and publish an op-ed asking "innocent" questions about Hunter Biden's laptop, you definitely are; there is no requirement for you to be aware that the story and its various narratives have originated elsewhere, or even that significant elements of it are false. You might just be an unwitting agent.

Here is the important part that concerns D&D: there is absolutely zero reason to rely on propaganda sources to support one's argument. Zero. You don't get to say "well, they may be a bad source, but what they are saying contains some truth!" because the very nature of propaganda is about obfuscating the line between truth and fiction. If something is true, there will always be much more reputable sources reporting on it. The more independent the source, the better — but it's worth noting that lots of sources that claim to be independent are anything but. When in doubt, I've found that Wikipedia pages about those sources tend to do a reasonably good job of outlining potential issues with them.

Honestly, I second the idea that we might need a thread that focuses on what propaganda is, how to identify the ecosystems where it originates and propagates, and how to resist it effectively and prevent its spread.

----

* This isn't to say that all state-funded media sources are propaganda sources, but that's a different subject.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

How can propaganda meaningfully be said to originate from government sources alone? No part of what you laid out there can't be done by a private organization, for similar reasons. In that case the purpose might not be to turn a country's populace hostile towards its leadership, but instead against each other, as we see time and time again with for example the Murdoch empire. The notion that state propaganda is the only kind of propaganda that exists, or that only heavy-handed directions like you see in Russia count, is preposterous.

Propaganda does not have to be negative. The idea that America is #1, that everyone wants to live there, that it must be defended at all costs and that there's nothing to improve, is all forms of propaganda propagated for the purpose unifying the country around the state.

Sorry, I should have been more clear: by "context", I was referring to the RT vs. NYT argument people were having earlier. Propaganda can definitely originate from non-governmental sources as well, such as a conservative think tank that pushes misleading or false anti-tax narratives. And you're right, there isn't a rule that says it cannot be positive; again though, RT is unlikely to spread pro-USA propaganda. :)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jarmak posted:

I'm not trying to be an aggressive dick but this is fantastically missing the point. Bad sources are bad specifically because they intentionally mix facts in with disinformation and dishonest context in order to push a false narrative. Making you think they sometimes have something valuable to say is literally how propaganda outlets push disinformation in the public narrative: treating it as something worthy of individual analysis elevates the disinformation to something that's "up to debate" by literally, again, attempting to play themselves off as simply "not mainstream".

Yes. This is precisely why Breitbart for example openly and blatantly attacks "mainstream media", because being non-mainstream is a virtue for them.

OwlFancier posted:

Seeking to capture the moderation in order to restrict discussion to sources you like is weaponizing bad faith information. Because I absolutely do not at all believe that the people looking to do that are somehow "apolitical" and that their idea of what is and isn't an acceptable source has nothing to do with their political leanings.

Either just argue that the moderation should favour your politics or argue that it's a free for all, because there is no middle ground. All decisions are political, all control is political, you cannot rules lawyer your way into a true takes only zone, the entire point of discussion and, indeed, democracy in general, is to achieve that, if there was a rules based approach that worked you wouldn't need those things.

Nah, the only bad faith that is going on here is openly accusing people of wanting to prevent bad sources from being posted simply on the basis that they disagree with what those sources are publishing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

If you want to convince me that you want to control sources with zero political intent whatsoever then I think the burden of proof is on you to do that, because literally nobody in history has yet managed it.

Or perhaps more importantly, disregard intent, you need to demonstrate to me that it will not have that effect because regardless of what you want, restricting access to information based on control of a moderating authority structurally does produce political effects, that is literally what the supposed "freedom of the press" exists for.

If the effect of restricting access to certain sources ends up being that we no longer get regularly subjected to anti-US propaganda from monstrous totalitarian regimes, I would be okay with that.

That is the extent of my desires on this topic, personally. I can't speak for others.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

awesmoe posted:

people don't like maggie haberman because she's a woman who tweets badly

That is one hell of a claim.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I have quite strong opinions about moderators feeling the need to stick their oar into places because the assumption that just because they have the ability to do things means they have to find things to do. I have repeatedly suggested that I think less moderation is better and that I also have almost never seen it actually improve anything. They get appointed, they have some big idea to change things because the appointment is seemingly a mandate to treat the forum like their own personal experiment, they make a bunch of changes, it achieves nothing, they burn out or end up getting kicked out because it turns out they were doing some minor atrocity or other on the side, we get another one, the cycle repeats.

If you think that moderating is too demanding the option always exists to simply not do it. Not just on a personal level but also as a general philosophy for the entire group. Just because you have the buttons does not mean you need to find ways to apply them. If people require moderation there is a report button and they can post about it, otherwise I find that every thread I post in functions entirely fine without moderator involvement beyond very rare instances and those instances elicit a summons from the people posting, they do not require proactive intervention.

USPol I am sure can do whatever it wants, though I would and already have lamented the loss of posters I have found to be nothing but agreeable when I have encountered them elsewhere, as a result of moderation in USPol. But the thread appears to be talking about rules for the entire forum even if we ignore the effect USPol moderation has on the forum more widely. I care because this affects the places I post and the people I like posting with.

"Less government and fewer regulations" is a deeply flawed and self-centered idea that libertarians always push for, so I'm not surprised to see you, an apparent Libertarian thread regular, pushing for its forums equivalent. Of course, I don't know if you yourself are actually a libertarian, but the argument you are putting forth is.

Suffice it to say that just because you personally have never seen moderation improve anything does not mean that it actually does not improve anything. It's also a meaningless statement to make because it is unfalsifiable. Your personal philosophy doesn't matter, and neither do the mini-treatises you have posted on political epistemology; what we are interested in doing in this thread is to come up with practical rules and policies that might make debates and discussions higher quality and less tedious. I'm not a moderator myself, but I'll go out on a limb and say that "Don't moderate" will probably never be D&D's moderation policy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

And I would agree, I am entirely willing to exclude political positions like that from the forum because I disagree with them politically. Censorship I have no issue with as long as it is open, enthusiastic, and by common consent.

Things like white supremacy and genocide denial are not political positions. The reason we don't allow them is not because we "politically disagree with" them. It is because we find them vile and immoral. Furthermore, the decision to not allow such content on Something Awful was not made based on common consent. The reason for that should be obvious: if common consent had been sought, there would undoubtedly have been posters who would have objected, even if purely on "all censorship is bad" grounds, and by your reasoning, that would have been sufficient to not censor that content. Meaning, at some point you as a moderator/admin/owner need to ignore dissenting voices and do what you think is best and right. You might end up being wrong, but such is life. It won't be the end of the world.

With regards to this particular discussion, the question isn't "should mods maintain an extensive blacklist and probate people who ignore it?" I think most people, including the mods, think that is wildly impractical. Rather, the question is, should foreign propaganda outlets, which operate solely to advance the interests of monstrous totalitarian regimes at the expense of liberal democracies (who themselves aren't perfect, mind you), be accepted by posters as valid and credible sources in debate and discussion? If we think that those regimes are vile and immoral, then there is no reason to accept their mouthpieces as sources, and no reason to expect other posters to tediously and painstakingly try to refute them using counter-citations. Instead, the poster who is using them as sources should be dunked on and told to use a better source. And you know what? For virtually anything that is credible and newsworthy, there will almost always be one.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Prompt:
---Clickbait articles with misleading headlines
---lovely editorials written to drive negative social media engagement
---Posting articles as an embedded tweet with an attached hot take
---Debating the validity of sources, or expressing skepticism about facts or subtext
---Discussing a useful article from a normally bad source, or vice-versa

When and how should mods and IKs intervene?

Response:
No one's proposing that mods run a blacklist of sources. That's obviously unnecessary and a burden on moderators. People talk about a blacklist specifically to make the idea of dealing with this stuff seem like too much work, and make the mods=censors argument.

We do not need every cited link to be some exhaustive bias accounting. Acting as if we're demanding perfection, or endless prevarication between biased and bad faith sources, is just the equivocating bullshit of people looking for cover to troll the forums.

Nor is anyone sane suggesting that there's no such thing as a concrete reality. We should not favor the sources that say what we want to be true, or which match our ideology. If you don't want to engage with a shared reality in which information sometimes runs counter to your shared beliefs, gently caress off to TheDonald, or go masturbate in a closet or something. That's already the fundamental problem with twitter- if you have an account and use it, you are getting a concentrated, radicalizing stream of personally targeted messages intended to enrage you and narrow your sources of information and worldview. This has been discussion poison for years now, and just because we're not chuds doesn't somehow make us immune.

What is needed is a consistent, generally applicable, consistently enforced rule.

Proposed rule
When a user links a tweet or story in USPol, they should say:
A) what the source is,
B) why it's credible or why it's specifically not credible, and
C) why or who the mediating source is if there is one (like someone posting a sentence over a story link in a tweet or video that changes how it's read).

I am happy to explain what a mediating source is. I have charts.

There's no required format, but when a user doesn't do this, they should get probated. Full stop. No exceptions. All DnD threads.

Ohh, that's too much work! Bullshit. Stop linking things that wander across your screen without reading them or doing even the barest minimum critical thinking. Stop assuming titles are representative. Stop making everyone else do the work of refuting your putrid stream of reactive tweets.

I don't trust the mods to enforce this! The mods are already enforcing something like this. This way it actually stands a chance of sticking and being enforced consistently- and we can call them out when it isn't. It's infinitely better than not having a rule.

Ohh, that's too much work! Mod Edition! Not if you begin by consistently enforcing the rule and get it established as a norm. It did not take the covid thread that long to recognize that Feigl-Ding is a useless fearmonger. It seems like a lot of work because right now a bunch of jackasses are deliberately making it as hard as possible. Get some rules going and it gets a lot easier to get rid of those jackasses. People will self-enforce and actually maintain a social practice of critically examining information, even if it leads them to conclusions they wouldn't otherwise support. God help us we might actually have some loving nuance around here.

You can't moderate your way to a better forum. You appear to be confused, my friend; 4chan's /b is in a different tab; try your homepage.

I like this a lot!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cefte posted:

Irony aside, the assertion I suspect you're paraphrasing badly is this one:

Cefte posted:

You can't generate good content through moderation, the problem doesn't scale. You can certainly kill it with moderation, though.

It doesn't matter if DV's paraphrasing it badly, because it is a false claim anyway. I used to moderate a political forum that saw much more traffic than SA back when the latter was at its peak, and I've seen what is possible with good, effective moderation. Its effect is actually the complete opposite of what you are claiming: well-moderated spaces encourage people to post high quality content, and discourage the opposite and punish it when it happens.

Cefte posted:

That's the crux for me, and the core source of negative outcomes that can outweigh the good, depending on implementation. The question remains open: what happens when someone (a poster, an idiot king, a mod) disagrees with credibility assessment provided by another poster?

Presumably, the issue is raised (either via PMs, or in a subsequent iteration of these feedback threads, or in QCS if it's egregious and urgent), the moderetor's decision is compared against the written guidelines (which we are about to have, thanks to DV) and the system is fine-tuned. The goal is not immediate perfection, and just because immediate perfection is not possible is not an argument towards not even trying new moderation policies or working towards improving existing ones.

Arguments from futility suck, especially when they come from an ex-moderator of the space.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cefte posted:

I would suggest that arguing for a balanced, even-handed and pre-defined ruleset is not an argument from futility, but then again, I was never a moderator.

Hmm, it appears I got you mixed with... McCaine I think? Either way, apologies. I'm not as young as I used to be, and my memory gets hazier as times goes by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That said though, agitprop is also happy to publish truth that's inconvenient for their enemies and give platforms to people they've been silencing rightly or wrongly.

Also, all those establishment outlets are 100% propaganda, just with different branding. They all do the same poo poo, just with different marketing angles.

No. Having a bias is not propaganda. Having an agenda is not propaganda either. Propaganda has a very specific meaning. You don't get to redefine it just to do your false equivalence bullshit.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What else could you call all the support for the Iraq invasion?

It was a systematic failure of journalistic mechanisms and standards (rather than complete and total lack of them, as is the case with propaganda outlets).

Specifically, individual journalists — many of whom had been personally affected by the 9/11 attacks — were feeling traumatized and hotblooded, not to mention under strong societal pressure to support an invasion. On top of that, their editors did not sufficiently question or challenge them due to a desire to publish the scoops as quickly as possible. This is what led to them reporting that Iraq had WMDs, for example, as well as them giving voice to many Iraqi informants and defectors who themselves desperately wanted Saddam gone. Those accounts were rarely verified, and even when they were, the follow-up articles were buried deeper in the paper, as opposed to making it to front page, because they weren't the types of stories that would attract reader attention.

All of that was still not propaganda. Journalists failing to do their jobs, and their editors failing to do their jobs, is not propaganda. Just because an outlet publishes something or even a series of somethings in support of an administration or its goals does not make it a propaganda outlet. Propaganda has a specific meaning.

What is worth noting about the New York Times controversy with regards to the Iraq invasion though is not that they failed do proper journalism, but that they admitted they made these mistakes and issued an extraordinary public apology (there is even a detailed breakdown of articles that were not properly verified before being published here). Further, their failings have become a textbook case of caution taught in journalism programs in the US and in Europe. You might argue that was too little too late, but the point is that an actual propaganda outlet like RT or Epoch Times or PragerU will never do this because they don't give a gently caress about truth or integrity at all; indeed, their sole purpose is to intentionally distort the former as it fits them, without any regard to the latter.

I'm Middle Eastern. I was personally affected by the Iraq invasion and occupation, and I have a lot of disdain for both the Bush administration, and media outlets like NYTimes and WaPo that supported them at the time without doing their proper due diligence. And you know what? I can still tell the massive difference between them, and the god drat Russia Today or Epoch Times, and I find it deeply, profoundly sad when people suggest they are all the same, or even remotely similar, because it says a lot about their simplistic worldview, which apparently has no room for specificity or nuance.