Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
We should probably have a blacklist or whitelist of acceptable/unacceptable sources, because once in a long while some goon will drop blackcrimestatistic.jpg and wonder why they got a ban+month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

No, this absolutely should not become the expectation, because it takes far more effort to refute a bad source with multiple good sources, than to post that bad source in the first place. This is such a widespread problem that there is even a name for it: Bullshit Asymmetry Principle

Just like how the burden of proof lies with the person making a claim, the burden of showing that the source being posted is a good source should lie with the person posting it. Expecting others to do the harder work of refuting that source is ridiculous.

This is an inherently unfeasible means of debate. How is one supposed to just know a source is bad, if the argument in the article makes sense to them? It's a matter of perspective and without the perspective of others, they will never know how to discern what a bad source is.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If we're going to require everyone to proofread the proof they link, you're going to run into situations where someone didn't do that, not because they did that on purpose but because their ability to critically think isn't working correctly.

I'm afraid this style of enforcement will become an excuse to respond with condescending remarks, rather than as an opportunity to point out how their critical thinking skills lead them to the wrong conclusion.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Slow News Day posted:

It doesn't matter if DV's paraphrasing it badly, because it is a false claim anyway. I used to moderate a political forum that saw much more traffic than SA back when the latter was at its peak, and I've seen what is possible with good, effective moderation. Its effect is actually the complete opposite of what you are claiming: well-moderated spaces encourage people to post high quality content, and discourage the opposite and punish it when it happens.

Which forum was that? And can I peer review your mod activity there?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
What will be the punishment for posting bad or misleading sources? And will they count towards the ramp rule?