Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

For Tweets, I think the minimum requirements should be:

- If the author is not a well-known figure or institution, tell us who they are and why they are qualified to comment on said subject
- Quote what you think is the evidence or the lede in any linked articles

In combination, these two guidelines should help both the poster and the audience better identify tweets that are misrepresentations of the underlying source.

For example, if you post a tweet about a proposed tax bill, then you should say "this guy/gal is the senior fellow at such and such institute, which is a liberal/conservative think tank, and here's the bit that stood out to me from the linked article".

This is not to say that the only opinions that matter in a political debate are those from experts, but in my opinion if we want to improve the quality of sources then we should try to clamp down on hot and intentionally inflammatory takes from total randos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Cefte posted:

If they're relying on a 'bad' source on a point of fact, you can refute them with multiple 'good' sources.

No, this absolutely should not become the expectation, because it takes far more effort to refute a bad source with multiple good sources, than to post that bad source in the first place. This is such a widespread problem that there is even a name for it: Bullshit Asymmetry Principle

Just like how the burden of proof lies with the person making a claim, the burden of showing that the source being posted is a good source should lie with the person posting it. Expecting others to do the harder work of refuting that source is ridiculous.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

I would much rather see people post a link to the article itself, with a bit of the relevant content from it, rather than a tweet about it. If the thread is to be news oriented, then sticking to original content rather than commentary about it would sure help. It's aggravating to have to find and click through to the article to find out what it actually says.

I think the main reason people post tweets is because they get automatically embedded, along with any articles linked in the tweet — it's visually pleasing and easy to parse. If SA had the ability to embed snippets from non-twitter URLs, you would see a noticeable reduction in posted tweets.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Cefte posted:

You seem to be confusing the act of 'debate' with something that can be replaced with moderation. Yes, debate is difficult! Yes, it takes effort to nail a slippery character! That's the point!

If people try a Gish Gallop, then, by all means, as has been the case (unevenly) for ten years, catch them on failure to respond to effort with effort, but handing mods & IKs the power to literally blacklist named sources entirely destroys the premise of an open debate forum. Sorry, you can't cite the IRGC in this discussion about Iran; they're not a good source. Sorry, you can't cite Krugman, he's almost heterodox!

I mean, christ, after the debasement of traditional media over the last ten years and the ongoing fracture between center-liberal and left media, not to mention the ever-present accusations of ideological moderation, you really want to endorse that?

Where did you get the idea that I am calling for blacklisting sources?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

You sound unnecessarily combative. Maybe you didn't intend to come across that way, but you do.

I stated my position in the first reply to the OP. I don't have a strong stance on whether mods should blacklist certain sources that are intended to be propaganda; I can see the arguments going both ways. I simply demonstrated why your particular argument opposing it is a deeply and fundamentally flawed one. That is why I quoted that part of your post specifically, not because I am strongly in favor of blacklisting, but because I object to the suggestion that bad sources should be refuted using multiple good ones, and that it is not a problem if this places a disproportionate burden on posters who are objecting to the bad source. Your follow-up response of "yes, debate is difficult" is not a convincing one either.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Cefte posted:

So, to clarify, you object to the assertion that the appropriate management of the use of a 'bad' source on a point of fact is counter-citation and debate. What do you propose is the appropriate management?

Cefte, the entire thing that makes a source 'bad' in the context of debate and discourse is that it routinely mixes lies with facts, and truth with fiction. That is what makes propaganda effective in the first place. It is simply not reasonable to expect the other side to put in overwhelmingly more effort to pick apart and respond to each point said source presents with counter-citations. So yes, I object to the idea that that is a normal or acceptable expectation. Furthermore, this right here:

Cefte posted:

You seem to be confusing the act of 'debate' with something that can be replaced with moderation. Yes, debate is difficult! Yes, it takes effort to nail a slippery character! That's the point!

...is horseshit. Having to tediously refute idiotic hot takes from posters who deliberately or unwittingly spread propaganda on a constant basis is not "the point" of debate. We should strive for a higher level of discourse than that, and should expect moderators to enforce those standards.

Regarding what I propose, again, I already posted it: require users to identify who the author of a source is (whether it's a tweet or an article) and what their qualifications are, as well as the important sections from the source. This addresses the problem with bad-sourcing too, albeit indirectly: doing so should reduce bad source usage noticeably, both because the poster themselves might identify the flaws with it and decide not to post it, and because it would somewhat equalize the playing field in terms of effort.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

what about Maggie Haberman who also used nothing but anonymous sources to say dumb vague poo poo like 'Trump plans something big on immigration, also he's never been more isolated'

Access journalism, and the bad behaviors it results in, is definitely an issue. It is not an issue that makes the New York Times a propaganda source like RT or Epoch Times. The reason is simple: New York Times has many journalists and op-ed authors and they are all able to, and indeed frequently do, criticize the government and highlight its mistakes and shortcomings without being disappeared; and they themselves are called out and held to account by prominent figures and also other outlets when they gently caress up. Sometimes that does not happen for years, like with the role they played with regards to the Iraq War, but it almost always happens. They are a paper of record for a reason.

In any case, these types of issues should be easy to pinpoint if my and Discendo Vox's suggestion ends up becoming the standard: when something is posted, identify the author and try to point out their potential biases, and post the actual article or snippets from it. In fact, people have done this in the past and it is how we have collectively come to determine that Haberman regularly acted as the Trump family's mouthpiece.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

If you're going to start ruling out sources based on whether or not they're pushing an agenda you could probably save time and skip straight to applying that rule to posters as well.

Having an agenda != Pushing propaganda

In all honesty, perhaps we need a thread discussing how to identify the latter because there seems to be a lot of confusion.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

It's bullshit that the Tara Reade accusations on the sitting president are forbidden discussion in the USPOL thread.

Yes it does turn into a lot of poo poo when it comes up, because people feel strongly about it. The solution there is to mod more on it, otherwise you're going to continue to have people bringing it up over and over because it's not being addressed.

The issue is that there is nothing left to "address." It's a polarizing subject, and everyone who might actually be interested in discussing it has already made up their mind about it, so the only thing talking about it will do is cause pages and pages of derails and reports, at the expense of actual news discussions.

The reason Trump's rape accusations are/were frequently brought up is that several of them have active lawsuits, and new developments happening in those lawsuits, such as when a judge orders that Trump can't postpone deposition. They are, in other words, news, and it was decided that USPol's focus was going to change to primarily news coverage. If you're interested in talking about Reade stuff, make a new thread (ask mods and admins first, probably).

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz the Horse posted:

I might suggest you try and apply the media criticism questions (just a couple posts back) to Reade's editorial in RT since this is after all a thread about discussing sources.

It's important to consider the outlet and context of the editorial and not just its content. What is RT? It's propaganda from the Kremlin. Why is RT publishing Reade's editorial? Who is the target audience? etc

edit: you seem to be talking about the substance of the Reade accusations and how discussion of that is handled in D&D, rather than RT as a source. Which is the purpose of this thread.

Yeah, pretty much. There's a reason RT published Reade's column, and it directly pertains to what this thread is about. As someone stated earlier, it perfectly fits Russia's propaganda model of using state-backed sources to give voice to and/or amplify anti-American dissent, when credible and higher caliber sources won't touch it with a ten foot pole. It's also a wonderful example of why such sources virtually always lead to pages upon pages of inflammatory and acrimounous posting: because infiltrating domestic conversations like that is their goal.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Rockit posted:

Just the simpstic Knee-jerk of "source bad" lead people to defend an Islamophobic Russian nationalist who only opposed an annexation and supports others while condoning race riots. If you don't think that's necessarily counts as being an "Far right insurrectionist" fine that there was more to it than russia fake news. Sure one of my sources was indeed the hill but i just looked at what they sourced and confirmed for myself what he said. Didn't even bother to read the hill.

Straightforward source dismissal is ultimately a lazy static and is against the ethos of effort posting and talking to others. It's true that RT is exploitative propaganda but I feel that makes it more important to suss out to do the research on whether it's completely making something up, twisting an half truth, or exploiting an legitimate issue. Telling people the well they're just brainwashed and not actually enaged with the inaacturares like what a source dismissal does isn't good faith

By all means if how they use poo poo sources or misread sources show them to be an rear end punish them and if the actual actual has no evidence or other articles refute then it does make sense just go source bad but for it to be the automatic response to the problem isn't in line with the board's ethos and at best their defense is "They don't deserve to be treated better."

If something that is published or reported by a bad source is both correct and credible, there will virtually always be a better source reporting on it because it has passed the threshold for verifiability. That better source should be used instead, especially if the bad source is a well-known propaganda outlet and/or has been shown to frequently misrepresent the information for click-bating purposes. The exception to this is news that the bad source happens to break, which will be rare, and in such cases, again, it is better to wait until a better source reports on it.

I'm okay with not blacklisting sources, but IMO there should be a more stringent requirement for the poster to answer axeil's questions if they insist on using a bad source:

quote:

Who created this?

Was it a company? Was it an individual? (If so, who?) Was it a comedian? Was it an artist? Was it an anonymous source? Why do you think that?

Why did they make it?

Was it to inform you of something that happened in the world (for example, a news story)? Was it to change your mind or behavior (an opinion essay or a how-to)? Was it to make you laugh (a funny meme)? Was it to get you to buy something (an ad)? Why do you think that?

Who is the message for?

People who share a particular interest? Why do you think that?

What techniques are being used to make this message credible or believable?

Does it have statistics from a reputable source? Does it contain quotes from a subject expert? Does it have an authoritative-sounding voice-over? Is there direct evidence of the assertions its making? Why do you think that?

What details were left out, and why?

Is the information balanced with different views -- or does it present only one side? Do you need more information to fully understand the message? Why do you think that?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mainstream vs. non-mainstream is a meaningless distinction in this context. There are a lot of non-mainstream sources that also happen to both be high quality and do their reporting in good faith. RT, Newsmax, OAN, Breitbart, etc. have neither of those qualities. There is zero reason to use them as sources, regardless of what argument they are pushing and whether you personally agree with that argument.

I'm okay if the mod team decides not to maintain a blacklist, but it should be acceptable to treat posters who use such trashy sources with high levels of suspicion and disdain.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, literally, it is. Even if we assume, as I like to, that there is a concrete reality which we can discern through application of reason, the process by which we do that is inherently political, our ideas, our experiences, our pre-understood assumptions and beliefs about how the world work create a political lens through which we interpret the things we see and go on to influence the theories and ideas we form of our own, and the ones we expound to others.

There is no politically neutral arbiter of what is and isn't true, it is absurd to me to believe that there is one or could be one? And even if there was one, the question then becomes why has nobody plugged it in yet and solved politics forever with the undeniably true and correct take on everything?

Politics is the process of projecting different conceptions of truth onto the world and the ways in which those conceptions conflict with each other, and it intersects, as all things do, with issues of power and money and belief and all the other poo poo floating around in our society. You can't just go "this is true, everything else is wrong, politics solved now", or you can but that's the position of a lunatic. And while there are plenty of lunatics out there I don't think I particularly want any of them to be setting the rules of the forum I post in.

I do not care about whether anyone wants to be anti-us or anti-uk or whatever. I also don't care who wants to be that or why, if they can make a decent point that's good, if they can't they can't and I'm not going to listen to them, but the process of establishing whether they can make a good point or not is called "discussion" and it is allegedly what I am here to do.

I think this is the part where you take a huge hit from your bong and go "what even is truth, maaaan"

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I very much get the feeling that some people here want to just blacklist "known propaganda outlets" without ever being forced to question establishment outlets, or even seeing others do the same.

The objective reality is that USPol regularly, and I mean frequently, questions and shits on both mainstream outlets and specific journalists and authors. It is why we know Maggie Haberman is terrible, for example: because we have in fact questioned the veracity of her reporting, and the answers we found were less than ideal. Similarly, through the same mechanism, we have come to determine that The Hill regularly posts clickbait trash.

What we don't want to have to do, however, is spend enormous amounts of time and energy tediously refuting sources like Russia Today, which hasbecome very good at mixing truth with fiction because it exists for the sole purpose of pushing propaganda. The reason we don't want to have to do it is because of this wonderful post Epinephrine made on page 2 (which everyone seems to have ignored):

Epinephrine posted:

While I agree that bad posting behavior is what needs to be moderated, posting misinformation, including hot takes on twitter that either misrepresent their source or spout bullshit about it, actively poisons debate in such a way that actively refuting bullshit often contributes to the problem. Debate and discussion doesn't help, it often hurts, and moderation is therefore necessary to stop it. Posting misinformation should be an automatic probe, full stop. The core phenomenon at play here is the backfire effect: the finding that refuting false information reinforces memory for the false information and, in the process, makes the falsehoods more likely to be believed by those who hear it. This isn't the only reason why lies and bullshit poison debate, but it's the most pernicious in my view.

Essentially, the problem has to do with the basic fact that, the more we experience some event, the more likely we are to remember it. Studying material more often makes us do better on tests, controlling for all other factors. Someone who watches a movie several times will be more likely to recall the names of the characters, recite memorable lines, and so on compared to someone who saw the movie only once. This is a well-established facet of human memory. To apply that to misinformation: one side states a lie. The other side refutes the lie. However, in the process of refuting the lie, the lie itself is repeated. That repetition makes the original lie more memorable than its refutation because it's been experienced twice (vs the refutation which has happened once). By virtue of refutations repeating the lie, even in the form of refuting it, it exposes the audience to the lie more and more often and therefore makes it more memorable. Setting aside additional problems concerning pre-existing beliefs (a worldview consistent with the lie makes the above problem even worse in multiple ways), simply increasing the memorability of a lie makes it more likely to be recalled later on, and believed. [EDIT: Note here that the lie will always be more memorable than the refutation because the refutation repeats the lie. It does not matter how many times it's refuted.]

This is not an abstract point. The misinformation effect has helped sustain the myth of vaccines and autism, conservative and fossil fuel industry mistruths about anthropogenic global warming, and so on. Here on SA, this happens repeatedly in USPOL discussions. The effect is so pernicious that those who have fallen for it explicitly state that the other side is lying about verifiable facts such as the congressional record, written statements by politicians, and sometimes even their own posts in the USPOL main thread.

This goes beyond the Bullshit Asymmetry Principle. This is a fundamental aspect of human cognition that bad faith posters on this forum and on twitter are (perhaps unknowingly) taking advantage of.

Lewandosky, Ecker, Seifert, Schwartz, and Cook (2012) do a pretty good job reviewing the broader problem, including the backfire effect, and I recommend the read to a general audience (note that there are other less-well-known cognitive psychologists out there studying this who deserve far more recognition than they get because the first author sops it all up because he co-wrote this really good paper 9 years ago).

Thorn Wishes Talon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 6, 2021

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

awesmoe posted:

people dont like maggie habberman disproportionately compared to everyone else in her role who is equally guilty of the sins of their profession because she's a woman who tweets badly

People don't like Haberman because she spent four years humanizing Trump and his family, especially Jared and Ivanka, in an effort to maintain her access to them. You can argue that people dislike her more than other journalists who participate in access journalism. I don't know how you could prove that, but even if it is true, that is probably because they hate Trump, not because she's "a woman who tweets badly".

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You don’t have to have a couple of pages. Like, the moment you see 2-3 of those replies you can just ignore it.

"Just ignore it" is not a solution to brigading and attempted thread sabotage, and never has been. Because even if you ignore it, someone else won't, and it will result in pages of derail, and you'll be forced to skim through it to separate the wheat from the chaff. Maybe this doesn't happen in the threads you post in, but take it from me: it happens constantly in USPol.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

If you don't like the predominant posting style of a thread perhaps you're just not a good fit for it? I find all of mine to be quite agreeable places.

For someone who doesn't even post in USPol, you sure have strong opinions about it.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

I don't give a poo poo where you post information from if the information is usable. If the information is available elswhere then... ok? I don't care either way.

It's disappointing to read this because being able to critically evaluate the credibility of a source, and analyze how their motivations affect that credibility, is Media Literacy 101 stuff.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The premise here is that the information has already been vetted. I think OwlFancier is perhaps reacting to the unstated belief that information coming from a "propaganda outlet" is automatically invalid because it comes from a "propaganda outlet", and should thus be distrusted or even dismissed if you find it elsewhere too.

Information coming from a foreign propaganda outlet (no need to use scare quotes, we know for a fact that RT and Epoch Times are propaganda outlets) absolutely and definitely cannot be trusted. The entire point of propaganda is that it mixes truth with fiction to the point where the line becomes very blurry, and the truthy bits (that often can be verified via other sources) make it much more likely that the fictional bits will also be accepted and internalized. This is especially true when the message has been carefully crafted and fine-tuned for a specific audience who may have a propensity to not question it because it fits their existing worldview and biases. Therefore, you shouldn't use propaganda outlets as sources even if the stuff they are reporting has been confirmed by other sources (this is extremely rare by the way — these outlets are almost never the ones breaking important news or doing original investigative reporting that can be verified).

As someone who has studied this, I can tell you that there are people whose full-time job is to pick apart things reported by foreign propaganda outlets and trace their various elements to their origin. It is painstaking and tedious work that requires training. It is not something that your average poster can be expected to do reliably (either as the person using the source, or the person consuming it), because you need access to specialized tools and third-party expertise to do it. Adopting a "I will read it and make up my own mind" approach will quickly lead you off a cliff and make you an unwitting vector for the propaganda (such people actually tend to be the easiest targets).

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

fool of sound posted:

This thread is relevant to all of D&D but is particularly important to the upcoming USNews thread.

As for the question, I think that the issue isn't "should the Reade column be banned"; it's more "should the person posting the column be asked to defend it up front because it's published by a questionable outlet" and "to what degree is it appropriate to criticize the outlet rather than the content of the article".

IMO whenever someone uses a well-known propaganda outlet, they should be asked to apply axeil's questions to it:

quote:

1. Who created this?

Was it a company? Was it an individual? (If so, who?) Was it a comedian? Was it an artist? Was it an anonymous source? Why do you think that?

2. Why did they make it?

Was it to inform you of something that happened in the world (for example, a news story)? Was it to change your mind or behavior (an opinion essay or a how-to)? Was it to make you laugh (a funny meme)? Was it to get you to buy something (an ad)? Why do you think that?

3. Who is the message for?

People who share a particular interest? Why do you think that?

4. What techniques are being used to make this message credible or believable?

Does it have statistics from a reputable source? Does it contain quotes from a subject expert? Does it have an authoritative-sounding voice-over? Is there direct evidence of the assertions its making? Why do you think that?

5. What details were left out, and why?

Is the information balanced with different views -- or does it present only one side? Do you need more information to fully understand the message? Why do you think that?

6. How did the message make you feel?

Do you think others might feel the same way? Would everyone feel the same, or would certain people disagree with you? Why do you think that?

Insanite posted:

Should the Feb. 2 Tara Reade piece on RT have been banned from USPol and maybe all of D&D?

Also, if this thread is not about all of D&D, the title needs a change.

Well, why don't we do this... apply the questions above to the RT column and try to answer them as honestly and dispassionately as possible.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Lester Shy posted:

Those are certainly valid questions to ask, but if we want to be honest and dispassionate, they need to be applied equally to all sources. What qualifies as a "well-known propaganda outlet"?

I already answered the question of what qualifies as propaganda outlet. As for your suggestion, sure, I'm definitely not stopping anyone from applying those questions to all sources!

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I think you and Jarmak have missed that you have basically the same position, namely that people really should pay attention to from what source the news they just posted come from. Jarmak literally does not want people to post anything they want, he has been railing against RT the whole time he's been posting. I think one of you misread a post by the other, because from where I'm standing I don't think you are in disagreement?

emphasis mine

Yeah lol, I think they agree almost fully, not sure why they're railing against each other...

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Insanite posted:

It was flippant, but reading a propaganda outlet was the only way to see her editorial. It was not published elsewhere.

If you're refusing to expose yourself to "propaganda," as was urged in the post I replied to, you would, by definition, never see Reade's op-ed.

Do you not have any reservations whatsoever about using a source that is obviously trying to weaponize what Reade went through to further their own nefarious agenda and goals, which almost certainly does not align with yours?

Is making sure Reade's voice gets heard the only thing you care about?

If you do care about Reade at all, then seeing her exploited like this by a mouthpiece of a monstrous totalitarian regime should make you disgusted. There is literally no reason to do a "gotta hand it to them" with regards to RT, ET or any similar outlet. They don't care about Reade, they don't care about you. By acting as a vector to spread their reporting, you're helping launder their image into a more legitimate one — and that is one of their goals for having given her a platform.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Can the mod team clarify its position vis-a-vis "foreign" outlets then? Because this thread is heavily skewed towards an instinctual understanding of politics as being American or foreign, when in fact to a lot of goons, America is foreign.

Same for questions of the trustworthiness of institutions. The consensus among the "America = (inherently) not foreign" posters seems to be that America is the baseline, representative of a general category of "Good Western societies with a trustworthy mainstream media and political class" - a position that is hardly aligned with reality if you actually bother to compare it to other Western societies. Not saying it is uniquely bad, worse than all other Western societies at everything, but to flatten "the West" into some general good category in which you can just trust the mainstream requires some major ideological blinders.

Basically, what is your position in regards to the non-American parts of the forums, the non-country specific parts, and their interactions with rulesets created within the context of the American parts which appear to take up 90%+ of your time?

I think it's pretty obvious... if you're in USPol, non-American sources are considered foreign. If you're in UKMT, non-UK sources are foreign.

This isn't to say that either country's news outlets are themselves perfect. Here in the US for example, Breitbart et al regularly peddle Russian propaganda, as it happens to be pro-Trump and anti-Democrat, which means it aligns with the outlet's own agenda. This propaganda doesn't always come from Russia directly; sometimes it comes from proxies such as pro-Russian elements in Ukraine or Crimea. But it is always obvious when either of these happen, and it's frankly not a lot of extra work to figure it out — sometimes the article will even flat out say from where or whom the "news" originated. Regardless though, if a domestic source is publishing propaganda (which is different from bias/spin or even having an agenda, as we covered earlier), then it is worth bringing it up, ideally by the poster using the source.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

There will be bad faith players in every environment, regardless of rules, and they will figure out ways to skirt around or even actively exploit those rules towards their own ends.

That's absolutely not an argument against having rules or enforcing them regularly and with consistency.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yes, there is a difference between deliberately trying to spread false information and doing it accidentally. However, and this is the core of the issue for me, the level of dereliction of duty that the US press manages time and time again is still at a level where you should question literally anything it puts out, especially for the kind of issues D&D can be bothered to talk about.

Nobody seems to be saying "don't question mainstream sources," friend.

Seriously, are you under the impression that people are advocating for unquestioningly swallowing anything CNN/NYTimes/WaPo/etc. reports hook, line and sinker? Because that impression is... false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

How can you sit here in 2021 and say it literally doesn't matter if stuff is true or not as long as it leads people to the ideological stance you desire? That's not a healthy stance for a debate forum or even a loving Facebook group.

It's the same type of ends-justify-the-means-if-those-ends-are-obviously-good nonsense we've been seeing when these people discuss anything else, such as how Democrats should conduct themselves (e.g. ignore established norms and processes, quash coalitions, burn bridges, maybe even do obviously illegal things if the end results would be desirable).