Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

close all the threads and delete cspam

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

[gently caress you]

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Homeless Friend posted:

im pro brackets. im beyond humor now. no more jokes bitch

Now? Come on we've all read your posts.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
it sucks imo

the brackets themselves are fine but if you open the threads they're all filled with just total garbage

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Flavius Aetass posted:

it sucks imo

the brackets themselves are fine but if you open the threads they're all filled with just total garbage

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

people who listen to ska live like this

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Flavius Aetass posted:

strange, you'd think when they saw the garbage, that they'd pick it up pick it up pick it up

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

Flavius Aetass posted:

that's one way to say you like ska i guess

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

strange, you'd think when they saw the garbage, that they'd pick it up pick it up pick it up

:catstare:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

that joke was based on the one (1) thing I know about ska, you've been a wonderful audience, thank you very much

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Should randomly change the word that bracketed daily

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

(((the succ zone)))

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

standardize deez nuts

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
It's loving with me because the exact opposite used to be a common format, with timely bracketed tags for newcomers crammed around a stable, searchable name for regulars. Not "[Succ] Where's my $2000 you fuckers" but "[$2000] Succ Zone Sector #310 [Adventure Time Cosplay Station]".

for obvious reasons modern VB doesn't need tiny threads with sequence numbers, so searchability isn't quite as important as it used to be then, but I do think it's nice to be able to have more permanent personality in a thread name, and avoid situations where mods have to actively watch and rename threads because the topic drifts or a new thread on a related topic also catches on (just searching [History] is going to break if modern spins back out or the one guy talking about an ideological split actually does it and it actually works, [Gaming] would need changes if we collectively went on a tabletop wargaming kick, the obvious [Skub] Skub sucks! vs. [Skub] Skub rules! situation)

Graveyard in the op for old tags in this format, with page ranges listed, would also be really nice for finding old conversations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
aw cmon, I just renamed them, I'm not gonna go switch them all out again

One thing that was happening before was that people in a thread would often rename the title as an injoke that only people in that thread would understand, and I think it was discouraging new people from clicking on it because they had no idea what was going on in there, hopefully this will make it easier for people to browse around and engage more with threads they don't normally post in

Threads having a unique identity is fine, the names don't have to be dry and boring and descriptive, Doomsday Economics still has its name, and if the weed and cats thread wants to change their tag to Weedcat Sector or whatever then why not, but having a more or less clear tag makes it easier to navigate the list of threads at a glance I think

As for renaming threads, it is a pain in the rear end to keep up with them and actively try to figure out new titles for them, but that's one thing that having a ton of IKs is good for, they often change them. Also people often file reports for posts that would make a good title and say "make this the new thread title" and that makes it pretty easy for anyone to suggest a change and have the mods see it

twoday has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Jan 31, 2021

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah, definitely not going "rename them all again right now". Just as a mostly-lurker's suggestion for the next cleanup run in however many weeks or months when some threads have drifted, some have welled back up from earlier than you went back to, and some new ones have started.

Fixed title/floating tags could also replace the "make this quote the title" thing with "we're bored of tag x, replace it with tag y".

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

if you use underline tags around your words but inside of the brackets, it make it look like your words are in a [box]

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Victory Position posted:

if you use underline tags around your words but inside of the brackets, it make it look like your words are in a [box]

There's a cat in that box

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Thump! posted:

Now? Come on we've all read your posts.

once [humor] tags are implemented, i will go back and edit my old post. so that you can understand

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I don't like it, only babies need literal thread descriptions to understand what they're about

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
perhaps. instead of brackets we can have small image thumbnails relevant to thread topic, thoughts.?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

twoday posted:

One thing that was happening before was that people in a thread would often rename the title as an injoke that only people in that thread would understand, and I think it was discouraging new people from clicking on it because they had no idea what was going on in there, hopefully this will make it easier for people to browse around and engage more with threads they don't normally post in

Threads having a unique identity is fine, the names don't have to be dry and boring and descriptive, Doomsday Economics still has its name, and if the weed and cats thread wants to change their tag to Weedcat Sector or whatever then why not, but having a more or less clear tag makes it easier to navigate the list of threads at a glance I think

As for renaming threads, it is a pain in the rear end to keep up with them and actively try to figure out new titles for them, but that's one thing that having a ton of IKs is good for, they often change them. Also people often file reports for posts that would make a good title and say "make this the new thread title" and that makes it pretty easy for anyone to suggest a change and have the mods see it

You should not be encouraging new people to read this garbage

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

You should not be encouraging new people to read this garbage

no one reads anything, regardless of title brackets :justpost:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it helps people who use the forums in the proper way (ie not usercp perverts) and for that i'm grateful

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i am indifferent to the brackets thanks for reading

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
[feedback] they're good!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

exmarx posted:

it helps people who use the forums in the proper way (ie not usercp perverts) and for that i'm grateful

CSPAM - Not For CP Perverts

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

[[[organized]]]

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!
you're conventional twoday. but you get results.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

this is some wikipedia editor cop poo poo

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
[Dumb, stupid] The mods are bad.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
lmao of course it was a twoday idea. batting 1000 there dude

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
change all the brackets to triple parenthesis

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
[Nostalgia] ITT, post funny politics poo poo you suddenly remember

Why? What information does this add that isn't already easily grasped from the thread title itself?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 17 hours!)

[hot_dog] anthony weiner sex tape leaked

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013
idk op. maybe its for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

twoday posted:

this is fail and cringe