Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

lol how the gently caress is it nearly March again?

I don't think I've done so much nothing in a year. Every day is the same and I'm losing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Same. This is the longest I've been in one locale my entire life. I've already started making post-COVID travel plans.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

lol how the gently caress is it nearly March again?

(meme is a week old, sue me)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Safety Dance posted:

I've got a NewBeeDrone AcroBee Lite kit. It's the first not-completely-poo poo quadcopter I've owned, and it's definitely better at ricocheting off the walls of my apartment than it should be.

Oh the goggle/screen setup on that is very clever! I've been trying to get hold of an Emax Nano/Tinyhawk kit but unless I import and get stung with import charges or buy something far too expensive I'm having to sit on my hands and wait.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Presented for your viewing pleasure, somebody's trying to turn an e350 box truck into their own special tiny house:

Rytheric posted:

The woody experience wraps up the third iteration of the GroverTruk. I added some draft screens behind the doors. And put reflectix on the ceiling. Waiting to buy a fantastic fan to complete the ceiling and money for the French doors. Right now though I'm in the process of buying the MurderHaus which I will detail below complete with the TimberShitter.

Rytheric posted:

So I invited a lady to check out GroverTruk last night. She blocked me afterwards. Im think it has to do with the sconces. With the wide range of sconces available on amazon, I must find the right level of sconce to make the GroverTruk attractive.

AI, what sconces say "you won't be murdered in this truck?"

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Oh the goggle/screen setup on that is very clever! I've been trying to get hold of an Emax Nano/Tinyhawk kit but unless I import and get stung with import charges or buy something far too expensive I'm having to sit on my hands and wait.

Yeah, I imagine it's difficult. You might get lucky with something questionably functional from AliExpress

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wait, is that a 12 footer? At that point, just toss a bed in the corner and MAYBE insulate the walls. The walls are taking up very valuable space at that size.

Just grabbed some old shelving from storage. You know the metal stake style that uses plastic things that the shelves slide on to? Yeah... most of them loving crumbled from age. It's an ollllllld Lowe's display.

It bit me. This type of shelving has a tendency to bite anyway, but one of the plastic holders just shattered while I was trying to pound a shelf down, shelf grabbed on and hung on for dear life BLOOD.

Doing the spoiler bit for anyone who doesn't like blood (it's not much, but I know some people have issues with seeing a single drop). It's the blood blisters that are gonna suuuuuck more than anything else.

If I can source those plastic thingies I might try to save it (they're the same ones every other wire rack shelving unit uses). Otherwise it's getting yeeted into the garbage. I really like these wire shelving units, but fuuuuuuck they're spendy, especially for one meant for retail use (i.e. pretty drat strong).

Current garage status:

Shelving halfassed together, jack and jackstands retrieved from storage. Extension cord plugged into the extension cord, to power an old UPS. An old SFF PC is going out there as soon as I get a USB wifi adapter for it. I don't see a PC and the occasional charger plugged in causing any issues (main cord is only 16 gauge, but I don't expect to see more than 3-5 amps going through it - I do have a power strip with a very long 14 gauge cord, I may replace the 16 ga cord with that and just screw the strip to the ceiling, strip has a 15 amp breaker built in). I think the most power-heavy thing that'll ever get plugged in is a cheap floor fan (Lasko doesn't even list an amperage/wattage rating for it, probably ~1-2 amps on high if I had to guess).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 1, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

shy boy from chess club posted:

I don't think I've done so much nothing in a year. Every day is the same and I'm losing it

yeah it's pretty wild, I went from a very high intensity travel job to not traveling at all, and i don't care for it

meatpimp posted:

I just replaced the capacitor in a Seiko Kinetic watch.

The scale of the parts and screws in that job is unreasonable. The screws are absolutely impossibly tiny.

I don't know how watch people do that regularly, my nerves are shot.

lots of small tools and magnification

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

Wait, is that a 12 footer? At that point, just toss a bed in the corner and MAYBE insulate the walls. The walls are taking up very valuable space at that size.

Just grabbed some old shelving from storage. You know the metal stake style that uses plastic things that the shelves slide on to? Yeah... most of them loving crumbled from age. It's an ollllllld Lowe's display.

It bit me. This type of shelving has a tendency to bite anyway, but one of the plastic holders just shattered while I was trying to pound a shelf down, shelf grabbed on and hung on for dear life BLOOD.

Doing the spoiler bit for anyone who doesn't like blood (it's not much, but I know some people have issues with seeing a single drop). It's the blood blisters that are gonna suuuuuck more than anything else.

If I can source those plastic thingies I might try to save it (they're the same ones every other wire rack shelving unit uses). Otherwise it's getting yeeted into the garbage. I really like these wire shelving units, but fuuuuuuck they're spendy, especially for one meant for retail use (i.e. pretty drat strong).

Current garage status: shelving halfassed together, jack and jackstands retrieved from storage. Extension cord plugged into the extension cord, to power an old UPS. An old SFF PC is going out there as soon as I get a USB wifi adapter for it. I don't see a PC and the occasional charger plugged in causing any issues (main cord is only 16 gauge, but I don't expect to see more than 3-5 amps going through it - I do have a power strip with a very long 14 gauge cord, I may replace the 16 ga cord with that and just screw the strip to the ceiling, strip has a 15 amp breaker built in). I think the most power-heavy thing that'll ever get plugged in is a fan.

I bought a replacement pack of those shelf grabbers on Amazon years ago. I assume they're still on there somewhere.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Figured someone had to make them - knowing what they're called will help greatly. A good 1/4 of them just shattered when trying to get the unit back together, the rest are so worn that they don't really grab the poles (they normally have a couple of ridges - most of them are worn off) - when it was last assembled, it sat in a non-climate controlled garage for over 12 years, I'm sure that didn't help with the plastic bits (and it probably sat in a Lowe's for 5-10 years before that). I also suspect the rods may be a little warped, but I can work around that so long as I don't have a top or bottom shelf fully attached during assembly.

My garage is under my next door neighbor's living room... and this shelving unit has a base built out of a half pallet with a metal frame around it. It screeches loudly if I try to even scoot it, I'm sure their toddlers loved that. :sigh: They can be a bit loud, but they have 2 toddlers in a 1 bedroom apartment, surviving on grocery store wages (they both work for the same company I do, but on dayside, which pays a bit less). And the only shared walls are in the kitchen and bedroom.

TBH at this point I'm more concerned about swapping that 16 gauge extension cord for the 14 gauge power strip I have with the absurdly long cord (I think it's a 9-12 ft cord). I'll have to screw the power strip to the ceiling, but at least the power strip has a built in 15 amp circuit breaker... which will hopefully trip before the building breaker does (I assume it's 20 amp; I don't think 15 amp circuits were much of a thing when this place was built, there's no 15 amp breakers in my panel anyway). There's multiple service entrances for the building (and making things more fun, my section is physically another building - it's 2 apartments on top of 4 garages, sitting in front of another building, bedroom window and patio door overlook the courtyard... but shares the same building number), I've tried to find the house panel that services the garages with no luck. I doubt maintenance would be amused if I popped whatever breaker feeds my garage...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 1, 2021

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

:words: about cats

I never really cared for cats either and was a dog person but last year I got a cat and it turned out the same way. In a lot of ways, my cat is the spiritual sucessor to my pug. Very food motivated, follows me to the kitchen, and loves to snuggle. He sleeps on my clothes if I leave them laying around. I love this cat. I'll post pics later, I don't have any on this computer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

Figured someone had to make them - knowing what they're called will help greatly.

Boosh

https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Shelf-C...ps%2C173&sr=8-2

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

POW

Pretty sure mine are 1" ("that's what she said!" reference :cry:), that should work well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey it's Amazon, you can always return it if they don't fit. But most larger shelving of that style is 1".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah IIRC these are rated at like 800 pounds per shelf, which is pretty similar with what most stuff using that size pole would be rated at. The only real differences between this and "heavy duty" consumer wire shelving is the wires are much further apart (~3" between wire) and there's a half pallet for the base (I assume to make it easier to move displays around). The gap between wires was solved ages ago with cardboard. Anything heavy that gets placed on this thing spans several wires anyway, or gets placed in a box that spans several wires.

I just need a small workbench now. Or hell, even an old folding table. And a pallet jack to move the shelving unit :haw:

Preliminary setup (nothing is hooked up yet, aside from the UPS being plugged in to charge):

Shelving unit isn't remotely stable thanks to all the broken/missing pieces, but it's stable enough to hold that old PC and monitor for now. Might drop $25 on a cheap folding table from Walmart.... or find a used desk on CL and move my home PC to that, then repurpose the folding table I currently call a desk to the garage.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I can't because my wife turned 37 in December and I enjoy macabre humor and immediately asked "So what is late thirties like? I am still a couple years away from that" because at 14 months older than me there is a delightful two month overlap where I really get to point out the two year gap.

SO just turned 43. I'm 42. Our birthdays are 8 months apart. I asked what mid 40s felt like. The death glare was enough for me to go in to work an hour early.

(did I mention it was shark week? I feel that contributed to the intensity of the death glare....)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 1, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

drat, Screech died. That was super fast.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Safety Dance posted:

I've got a NewBeeDrone AcroBee Lite kit. It's the first not-completely-poo poo quadcopter I've owned, and it's definitely better at ricocheting off the walls of my apartment than it should be. I had a couple of RC planes when I was living in Chicago, but I gave all of those accoutrements away when I moved to New York.

Well, I *didn't* want a little drone...

STR posted:

If they're the standard 1" poles, you should be able to get them. I'd look for generics intended for Metro wire shelves.

fake edit: too late. f,b.

STR posted:

Yeah IIRC these are rated at like 800 pounds per shelf, which is pretty similar with what most stuff using that size pole would be rated at. The only real differences between this and "heavy duty" consumer wire shelving is the wires are much further apart (~3" between wire) and there's a half pallet for the base (I assume to make it easier to move displays around). The gap between wires was solved ages ago with cardboard. Anything heavy that gets placed on this thing spans several wires anyway, or gets placed in a box that spans several wires.

I just need a small workbench now. Or hell, even an old folding table. And a pallet jack to move the shelving unit :haw:

Preliminary setup (nothing is hooked up yet, aside from the UPS being plugged in to charge):

Shelving unit isn't remotely stable thanks to all the broken/missing pieces, but it's stable enough to hold that old PC and monitor for now. Might drop $25 on a cheap folding table from Walmart.... or find a used desk on CL and move my home PC to that, then repurpose the folding table I currently call a desk to the garage.

You know the shelves are on upside-down, right? :P
We had clear thin acrylic sheets on that style of shelves at a place I worked. They're cut to fit, and work well, but are obviously not the $zero option.
Also, I recognize that PC. I mean, I've never seen *that particular* PC before, but I know an HP dc7600 SFF when I see one. I'm guessing that's the one I provided the PCI riser card for?

Ikea tables are pretty cheap, if you don't go overboard on the legs and accoutrements.
Tabletop, white, 39 3/8x23 5/8", $9, currently on sale (black is $18):
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/linnmon-tabletop-white-00251135/

48x24 is $23
60x30 is $30

Adils leg, white, 27-1/2", $4 each, on sale:
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/adils-leg-white-90217972/

You can go whole hog and add a shelf/drawer unit to one or both ends in place of the legs, but that dramatically increases the price.

There was a deal @ Monoprice for a powered adjustable height desk base for $100 last week. I plan to buy the 60x30 tabletop for it, all for my wife to use as a desk/crafting table in her office space.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Look at the price tags still on them. They're flipped over on purpose to keep merchandise from sliding off. Not sure if that was intentional from day one or not, but certainly explains why it was such a bitch to get them to go back together if they're taper-fit (.... they are, aren't they). Once I get new pieces in, I'll try flipping them back over, but I was reassembling them based on how it came apart.

And yes, it's the same PC that you're thinking of.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 1, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like that idea. Mine are bent to poo poo so that would work for me though. I got them when I worked at the comic shop. Old Navy tossed them out on the trash dock and I saw they would be useful so I grabbed them, broken them down and took them home. Been my primary garage shelving ever since.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Look at the price tags still on them. They're flipped over on purpose to keep merchandise from sliding off. Not sure if that was intentional from day one or not, but certainly explains why it was such a bitch to get them to go back together if they're taper-fit (.... they are, aren't they). Once I get new pieces in, I'll try flipping them back over, but I was reassembling them based on how it came apart.

And yes, it's the same PC that you're thinking of.

Oh, I understand why they did it, and it's a good idea if you need to do that. I'm just throwing poo poo. :P
The plastic inserts are tapered, but I don't believe the tubes on the shelves are, so it being a pain to disassemble was probably just the wedges working as intended :) They get tight when you load the shelves up, as you can imagine,

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
You can tell we’re all old because we’re talking about shelving and it doesn’t involve drugs

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slothrop posted:

You can tell we’re all old because we’re talking about shelving and it doesn’t involve drugs

Or... does it, and you've just missed the joke, old man?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

meatpimp posted:

drat, Screech died. That was super fast.

I just saw that, found lung cancer 3 weeks ago, drat

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

fridge corn posted:

In conclusion, cars are mostly bad

This, but unironically.
Mostly dealers are bad though. Cars are good in appropriate conditions and use cases. Dealers are never good. But of course... warranties always go through them and not through actually competent shops.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Finally found time to watch the Binky episode. Holy gently caress, that paintjob.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dustin Diamond was a bigot and and a racist. I attended one of his "comedy" shows years ago and it was 45 minutes of "Mark Paul is a fuckin f@##$%" and "lol black people amirite."

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

bolind posted:

Finally found time to watch the Binky episode. Holy gently caress, that paintjob.

That episode has deeply rekindled my need for a lowrider grade paint job with the same or greater level of pearl ghost effects. Ideally also with some lace work.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Dustin Diamond was a bigot and and a racist. I attended one of his "comedy" shows years ago and it was 45 minutes of "Mark Paul is a fuckin f@##$%" and "lol black people amirite."

admitting you went to his show is quite a self own

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
How dare he grow as a person and admit it here

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kastein posted:

How dare he grow as a person and admit it here

that is the entire arc of his posting here, yeah?

look its just funny that anyone would go see DD and admit it, that's all

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like you wouldn't go out of morbid curiosity.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://youtu.be/dN3wEdK_vxw

Just leaving this here..

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rhyno posted:

About a year ago we got a fourth cat. Initially I wasn't on board but then this happened

This is Josie. She's a little hellion but she is practically attached to me when I'm home. I don't think I've ever had a pet that has shown me so much affection before. She sleeps on my side of the bed when I'm gone and rolls in my work clothes if I leave them on the floor.

I fuckin love this cat.

Cattes are so great. Obviously I have Rosie, who after 2 years has finally accepted that sometimes my girlfriend is going to come over, and steal her 2/3 of the bed.

But my new kitty Jules has been my obsession, I can't go on the deck without him climbing on me. If I'm hanging out in the kitchen he's staring at me the whole time, absolute lover.

Of course Rosie is still great too

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I am somehow completely unsurprised at this.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Like you wouldn't go out of morbid curiosity.

Honestly? No. Not that I know who they are in the first place

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Honestly? No. Not that I know who they are in the first place

The bar i worked at was in the same complex as a comedy club (meatpimp probably knows it) and thus i frequently received free passes.
Screech was the one time I felt like I was owed a refund.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
the 2021 Triple AAA guidebook does say that the combination Chucklehut/TGI Friday's in Shelbyville, IN is probably "worth missing"

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

meatpimp posted:

The scale of the parts and screws in that job is unreasonable. The screws are absolutely impossibly tiny.

That sounds interesting and I've always wanted a Kinetic. Any pics of the prcess?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Knowing what little I know of Dustin diamond he does not strike me as the sort of guy who treated his body very well during his 44 years of life

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

meatpimp posted:

Just like with everything, I'm sure a lot of it comes down to having the right tools.

Someone posted this in here I think. Opened my eyes. over 1300 parts in the movement. And the decorative hand work is unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGPjFFMD3c0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
One of 7 built for their 175th anniversary, originally sold for 2.5m CHF, one listed for sale last year for US$50m :eyepop: