Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Wales is attached along it's long edge whilst Scotland is just stuck on by a narrow bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bobstar posted:

Ok, it's a line he made up, but I recognise the sentiment. What's the point of being the best country in the world, if we don't have the best of everything? And these hypothetical Rotterdammers are right, the roads here are very good - but under this worldview, that's not enough, they've got to be better than the Belgians' roads, and the Germans'.

So obviously I'm not advocating this approach, even though it would be quite fitting in the UK. I think we need to look at absolutes, rather than relatives - make the trains/NHS/schools good, don't keep looking over your shoulder to see if you're "beating" the "competition". Do it for its own sake, because this is the part of the world we can actually influence.

The trains here are good. They may not be the best in the world. The cycling infrastructure here probably is the best in the world, but that shouldn't matter. If it's good, good, and if it's not good, let's make it good.

Also worth mentioning that NL is just as neoliberal and privatisation-happy as the UK, but with slightly less disastrous results, possibly because if they privatised things the British way, the population would revolt at being worse than Belgium. Or maybe they're just boiling the frogs slower, who knows?

In fairness if every country was competing to have the best public services the world would be a pretty tolerable place even if it did stem from wanting to be better than the Belgians.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobstar posted:

Yeah it's easy to slip into that expat bubble and assume it's all wonderful, especially if you don't/can't take in the local news (as I'm sure you know. Are you in Scandinavia now?)

My Dutch teacher from when I did a course said "Nederland is geen paradijs" - clearly he's come across this before. Strangely, he's about the only person I've met who had a sense of humour about his country's foibles, and acknowledged that his language was basically easier fake-German.

Yeah I've been in Norway a few years now. Not paying attention to the media does mean you miss a lot of what goes on - honestly not being able to understand the news to begin with made me a lot happier than constantly following it in the UK. And there is definitely a temptation to ignore the problems in your new society because you're so well acquainted with the flaws of the one you've left, I think that only goes away with time and experience. I like living here and I'm personally a fair bit happier and better off in general now than I was when I first arrived, but some of the problems in Norway are a lot more obvious to me now than they were back then too. "Geen paradijs" is probably a good thing to keep in mind in any place you move to.

Happily for me easier fake German also applies to the language here - they're close enough together that my Dutch is absolutely horrible now because when I try to speak it all these Norwegian words come out instead. I know you also speak a bunch of very similar Germanic languages, do you manage to keep them all separate or will you accidentally slip into German when you're meant to be speaking Luxembourgish?

Endjinneer posted:

It's not unusual to be hooning through some empty corner of the highlands on perfect blacktop and pass a sign with "Part funded by the European Union Regional Development Fund" on it.
That's true. I honestly loved driving in the Highlands, except those long, long single carriageway sections of the A82 with all the lorries. I drove up to Loch Leven once during a go-slow by lorry drivers to protest the lack of road widening, and while I understand and support them it was one of the most infuriating drives I've ever taken. I especially remember cycling the Outer Hebrides and it being incredible to have all these beautiful smooth roads in stunning scenery with barely a car to be seen.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 28, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/grotesquechaoss/status/1366108452557361154?s=21

lol

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Here's a question:

Why all the facebook pages suddenly giving away million pound houses? I'm not talking about scam pages, I'm talking about legit pages like charities, that post the sponsored post and then go back to posting normal stuff, so it's not a hack either.

I was just reminded of it on a youtube video with the host saying it was sponsored by Omaze giving away a chance at a fancy looking house. And quickly googling "why is everyone giving away million pound houses" it seems like Omaze are usually involved.

I'm assuming the technicalities of the scam revolve around this:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8175132/three-million-house-raffle-mark-beresford/

(Apologies for the Sun link but it's the only link I could find that wasn't actually advertising the house).

E:

quote:

Chintzy Frou-Frou said: “There’s nothing on the website saying how the money is to be divided up if the target is not reached. I feel conned."
[Milo Edwards voice] Excuse me?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 28, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Closing the borders is impractical and pointless
oh no
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1366108050285883491?s=20

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

sinky posted:

Closing the borders is impractical and pointless
oh no
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1366108050285883491?s=20

lol I think it was Sunak this morning who was asked about the uptick in case numbers being reported and if it had anything to do with a new variant and he said he wasn't aware of any.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't whatever omaze is have a gimmick where they do really fancy giveaways?

I don't know what it is or what it does but I assume it's some sort of insane advertising gimmick.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
#cancelmarch is trending, don't know why but I'm a fan of this idea
https://twitter.com/honkkarl/status/1366076584206163972

World Calendar was a great idea that died too soon.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'd prefer 12 months of 28 days - nice and neat, you can easily tell the day from the date for a given year - and then a 13th holiday month of 30/31 days, a little bit longer to enjoy the time off and ring in the new year. Those last 3 days of the year could even be called something different so that the year can always restart on Monday. Mmm

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bring back the off calendar days like the romans had.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
balldoary :balldo:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'd prefer 12 months of 28 days - nice and neat, you can easily tell the day from the date for a given year - and then a 13th holiday month of 30/31 days, a little bit longer to enjoy the time off and ring in the new year. Those last 3 days of the year could even be called something different so that the year can always restart on Monday. Mmm

Never going to happen because it'll mean some peoples birthdays are on Monday or Tuesday for their entire lives while others have Fridays or Saturdays. There's got to be some juggling of the days.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'm a proponent of the Boolean calendar

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It's Stardate 98762.28

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/ABridgen/status/1365973245158187010?s=19

Completely deranged.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, he's not wrong about bottled water being stupid.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Bring back Dasani, we won't need to import that. Or bromate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ban bottled water and make domestic potable water free at the point of use, or make all piped water non-potable and have free publicly owned refill stations for your glass water carboys and heavily subsidized filter installation for anywhere that's not practical. Either is less loving stupid than a free market in plastic bottled name-branded water.

Also a public-private enterprise where lemurs are paid to piss in your face is less stupid than a free market in plastic bottled name-branded water, so there's a lot of leeway for ideas.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1366120678928310273

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

No deal, sausages and beans both need to go

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grilled tomato, easily?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I think only one of these is currently protected under Brexit, as in allowed to be traded freely.
Can you guess which one?
You sling them up your backside.

Could be wrong.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Plate

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The plate, because it'll be all that's left in a solid 5 minutes of scarfing.

(and the mushrooms and tomatoes)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Probably the tomatoes

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The Tea :colbert:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tip those beans right in the bin. I'm not sure why there are two different types of bacon but I'm willing to roll with it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Scorching hot take - cooked breakfasts are bad, continental is 100% superior

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

OwlFancier posted:

Grilled tomato, easily?

Mental, the tomato counteracts the saltiness of the other items you need that little burst of deep-flavour sweet.

If the meal were presented with toast then the hash brown can gettaway, if not then the mushrooms but would be extremely sad to see them go.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

MikeCrotch posted:

Scorching hot take - cooked breakfasts are bad, continental is 100% superior

your heart is shrivelled and cold, your mind barren and your soul bereft of light and love. you have never known joy, and your barbed talon hands claw and rend at your tattered clothing at those who savour the delights of cooked breakfast foods

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

stev posted:

Tip those beans right in the bin. I'm not sure why there are two different types of bacon but I'm willing to roll with it.

They did the thing where the body of the rasher is cut off after it's cooked but then the streaky bit sits in the pan for a few more seconds to crisp up a little, it's god-tier cafe stuff.

Edit: I'll grant you that the lack of definite toast absolutely reduces the relative value of the beans but under no circumstances does that mean put them in the bin, behave.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Something being, arguably, superior does not make the other thing bad

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Anyone that's not Jeff Wode doesn't need to have 15 different items in their cooked breakfast, and doing more than 2 or 3 means you'll inevitably gently caress up at least one of them (eg the overcooked eggs in that pic).

This is breakfast:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Pro answer: get rid of a single bean :smuggo:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

kecske posted:

your heart is shrivelled and cold, your mind barren and your soul bereft of light and love. you have never known joy, and your barbed talon hands claw and rend at your tattered clothing at those who savour the delights of cooked breakfast foods

yeah basically

but that doesn't mean I'm wrong

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The toast is under the egg. A savvy move, as toast typically takes up an insane amount of valuable plate real estate.

kecske posted:

Really nice bread with preserved meats can sometimes edge out a cooked breakfast if you're in the right mood.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I remember the first time I visited Belgium we were driving to Brussels, and literally the second the motorway crossed from France into Belgium it was like driving on the goddamn moon.

Best roads though hands down has to go to the Swiss. Everyone thinks it’s the Germans and theirs are very good overall, but Swiss roads are just crazy. So is their phone service, we were half way up a mountain in the middle of buttfuck nowhere and still had full 4G reception.

Of course the UK road situation isn’t helped by every manufacturer deciding their cars must all have big diamond cut alloy wheels with low profile tyres.

Roadchat: Germany's main roads have been deteriorating for years now and Belgium had actually made decent improvements. One issue that is affecting Germany in particular but other countries as well is that a great many bridges were rebuilt in the 10-20 years after WW2, and these are now all in need of replacement which is putting huge pressure on the infrastructure budget.

The Netherlands is also hit by this and several large bridges have had to be closed in recent years for emergency repairs after inspections found them unsuitable for heavy traffic.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Best roads though hands down has to go to the Swiss. Everyone thinks it’s the Germans and theirs are very good overall, but Swiss roads are just crazy. So is their phone service, we were half way up a mountain in the middle of buttfuck nowhere and still had full 4G reception.

The other side to this is that they're constantly resurfacing the autoroutes.

Also the Swiss are loving terrible drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

a fry up should be made with a single frying pan so gently caress yer baked beans