Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
nah just kidding, it's great. Have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Speaking as someone who also has asthma and is under 60 - you aren't going to have to worry about getting your vaccination until autumn at the very earliest anyway, which is plenty of time to ensure you are properly registered

It is more likely to be this time next year

If they keep up the current pace* (or rather half it to allow for second jabs) then the entire over-16 population should be done by the middle of Autumn **. Realistically I'd be very surprised if it were impossible for someone in a non-vulnerable group to get one by late Summer, and I'm quietly optimistic we'll hit the 60% magic number***** by Autumn.

* This is unlikely for a lot of reasons I've gone into but it's not impossible, and I think it's a useful enough rough number
**current rate is 2.5m a week, half that is 1.25m a week, 54m over-16s, that's 43 weeks so mid-October*** - the target is 4m jabs, or 2m completed vaccinations, a week**** so that would be July
*** I've played very fast and loose with the numbers here because I can't be bothered properly accounting for the first jabs already given and am just assuming we started at this rate on 1st Jan, but gently caress it it's still more rigorous than any number that comes out from behind a plinth at 5 o'clock
**** If they actually achieve this for just one week, let alone sustaining it for a couple of months, I will have to put my hands up and say that that's genuinely impressive. Like I said before though, once you get outside of the vulnerable groups takeup is likely to slow right down regardless of actual capacity
**** (Should have numbered these footnotes really) This is assuming that the 90% efficacy isn't too badly hurt by this bullshit 12-week delay between jabs; if it turns out we actually need 70% or higher uptake to get to herd immunity then we might start running into serious problems next winter.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

therattle posted:

That reminds me: there are some very plausible vaccination phishing emails purporting to be from the NHS going around.

Yes. The big clue is they ask for a credit card number from what I've heard.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

it's still more rigorous than any number that comes out from behind a plinth at 5 o'clock
No need for this kind of slander against the EuroJackpot draw.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

**** If they actually achieve this for just one week, let alone sustaining it for a couple of months, I will have to put my hands up and say that that's genuinely impressive. Like I said before though, once you get outside of the vulnerable groups takeup is likely to slow right down regardless of actual capacity

Why would it slow? Once you're outside of the vulnerable groups you're into all the people who have far fewer issues with getting to vaccinations centres etc, I'd have thought that at least to begin with take-up will improve if anything.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Regarde Aduck posted:

nah just kidding, it's great. Have fun.

Thanks!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the issues raised last time were younger people not having regular GP contact and also getting the right vaccine to the right people at the right time for the second shots is a lot harder than throwing anything you have at anyone who turns up.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Once you move out of the retired and at risk demographics it'd going to be a real bugger getting people into daytime slots when work is open and insisting they come in instead.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

Why would it slow? Once you're outside of the vulnerable groups you're into all the people who have far fewer issues with getting to vaccinations centres etc, I'd have thought that at least to begin with take-up will improve if anything.

A couple of reasons. By that point the lockdown will have been eased, we'll be into spring/summer, and the general tone will be "well it's all over now". Also vulnerable groups at the moment are being told when and where to turn up, rather than having to make a positive step to take to actually book a jab. Loads of people will say "Oh yeah, I'll get round to that next week", and once the worried well get done I suspect a big chunk of the population just won't bother.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I am sceptical of that. Once it's open access (if that's how it will be worked), you could open vaccination centres 24/7 and have them full every minute of the day for a good while before you get through all of the people who are desperate for this imo

People do want to go back to normal and this is their ticket to it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

I am sceptical of that. Once it's open access (if that's how it will be worked), you could open vaccination centres 24/7 and have them full every minute of the day for a good while before you get through all of the people who are desperate for this imo

People do want to go back to normal and this is their ticket to it.

Like I say, we're into summer by then. Deaths will be back down to the dozens, the government and their stenographers will be telling us that we've beaten it, and people will just forget the last year. Look at how many people *right now*, with >1000 deaths/day, are actively resisting or just not bothering with the most passive prevention. You think the people who can't even be arsed putting a mask on are going to go and get a needle stuck in them? Twice?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the idiots want to euthanize themselves I have no particular quarrel with that. As long as I can get the thing and the infection rate stays low enough not to pose a significant risk to the people I care about then the people too stupid to care can do what they want.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

If the idiots want to euthanize themselves I have no particular quarrel with that. As long as I can get the thing and the infection rate stays low enough not to pose a significant risk to the people I care about then the people too stupid to care can do what they want.

Problem is that statistically unless an awful lot of those idiots get jabbed we aren't going to manage herd immunity and the vulnerable will still be at risk

Getting vaccinated doesn't give you an impenetrable spell of virus warding (as you no doubt already know)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

She's an oxygen thief

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he's becoming a parody of himself

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1356242615310688259?s=20

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - 1st February 2021 :siren:

Hello! It has come to my attention that we didn't report the results of the Committee elections in the thread, although they were of course discussed in the Discord channel. So first of all, congratulations to:

Maugrim :toot: (otherwise I wouldn't be posting this update)
Fargle and AceClown (both also re-elected)
and our new committee members, Tsietisin and The DPRK!

Thanks to Cast_No_Shadow, lymarra and Rahzmataz for also putting their names forward, and to Rarity and OscarDiggs for their sterling work last year. We wish them all the best in their future endeavours.

January was a great month for the Fund donations wise, mostly because the meeting/elections at the start of the month drew plenty of attention, but also because we had a goon donate back what we gave them - which still goes in the income column, of course. The Fund is looking very healthy right now, so if debts are stressing you out or your health is suffering because you're living on a shoestring, do consider whether we can help!

January Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts:

Cumulative donations and payouts:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

Donate:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity - Please mark your donation as a gift, *not* as payment for services, as the latter incurs a charge!
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, The DPRK or Tsietisin.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Bobby Deluxe posted:

People who've been contacted about vaccines - how did you get contacted? Text from your GP surgery? Letter?

I ask only because I've recently moved, and don't want to land myself in the same situation as the poster who's surgery deregistered them, and I sort of still have access to the old place for post (sister in law owns it but hasn't been forwarding post and I can't drive, so it's down to when my wife happens to get across there).

Just wondering in case there's an invite letter waiting at home I might have missed - i have asthma and am 40 so I don't know if the list has gone that far down yet. I just don't want to miss my spot and get to mid march when all of the gammons have been vaccinated and have successfully lobbied Boris to let them spit directly in people's mouths again.

text from my surgery

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

that's not on, mate

that's well out of order!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

He couldn't even get through that short clip without expressing how much he agrees with Tory MPs.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

that's not on, mate

that's well out of order!

This is an outrage!!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Starter calls on PM to "Leave It Out"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Starmer is somehow less convincing as an effective opposition leader than Ed Miliband, how did this happen :psyduck:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
"Down with this sort of thing," Kier urges Boris; "Careful now."

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It's really quite rude :mad:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Barry Foster posted:

Problem is that statistically unless an awful lot of those idiots get jabbed we aren't going to manage herd immunity and the vulnerable will still be at risk

Getting vaccinated doesn't give you an impenetrable spell of virus warding (as you no doubt already know)
The current evidence is suggesting that the vaccine doesn't actually do much to stop trasmission,* so herd immunity is a looonngg way off

*except insofar as it makes people more likely to be asymptomatic, which itself reduces - but does not entirely prevent - transmission

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Classic Scottish Labour.

https://twitter.com/chaoswithkeith/status/1356286605812760577

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just saw an ad on facebook from our local leisure centre full of images of old people - then I realized it was targeted at over 60s - then I remember, that's me. :corsair: :boom:

I saw a former labour colleague while I was out for my walk this afternoon and she said there are quite a lot of them in the local party 'hanging on by the skin of their teeth' about leaving. She said at the last zoom All Member Meeting, they were treated so badly (she didn't say why - as I'm no longer a member she didn't want to say so I didn't push it - I'll find out from another contact eventually - I imagine they were not allowed to speak, muted etc as I've been told before) that a few quit immediately afterwards.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Barry Foster posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but even if you have gotten the vaccine, all it does is means that if you contract the virus you are almost certain not to die from the disease and unlikely to get sick.
But that you can still spread the virus to others.
So if that was the case that even after you got the jab, you should still wear a mask when outside to prevent you spreading the virus to someone who isn't vaccinated.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Borrovan posted:

The current evidence is suggesting that the vaccine doesn't actually do much to stop trasmission,* so herd immunity is a looonngg way off

*except insofar as it makes people more likely to be asymptomatic, which itself reduces - but does not entirely prevent - transmission

I guess the million dollarpound question is if post-vaccination 'asymptomatic' means 'no symptoms' or if it means (as it has thus far) 'no obvious symptoms, but enjoy your brain and heart damage lol'

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"A national taskforce". It's just so... limp.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pistol_Pete posted:

"A national taskforce". It's just so... limp.

It's cold ok

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

I guess the million dollarpound question is if post-vaccination 'asymptomatic' means 'no symptoms' or if it means (as it has thus far) 'no obvious symptoms, but enjoy your brain and heart damage lol'

I thought OxfordAstraZeneca tracked the data unlike the US ones and confirmed that theirs at least even prevented asymptomatic cases.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just learned some quite interesting things about UK meat production from arguing with some dipshit on twitter so thought I'd share them here - they're quite interesting especially in light of the "school meals"/UK Hunger fiasco recently:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1356216793384120321?s=20

This is what made me look into it. I'd heard these figures before but what he's given here is actually a best case scenario: Cows require somewhere between 6x and 25x as many calories from feed as they produce to eat according to various studies.

Anyway, some tool was arguing "These figures aren't meaningful! Animal food is not human food!" but did you know that 3+ million tonnes of wheat, barley, oats and maize are fed to animals yearly in the UK? And another 3 million tons of soya? That's enough calories, if we just ate them directly, to feed over 14 million adults for a year (at 2500kcals/person) - so if you say all of that is being fed to chickens, it's effectively wasting half (or more) of those calories, or food for 7+ million people.

Not only that but around the UK imports most of that soy, and around 1m tonnes/year of it are from sources that contribute towards deforestation (mostly in South America). Around 90% of soybean meal produced worldwide is fed to animals btw.

Just thought that was interesting.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Barry Foster posted:

lmao

I actually quite like this as a complete poo poo-posting answer

The EU has been fully dedicated to shitposting ever since May. It's all Britain will get, ever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Just learned some quite interesting things about UK meat production from arguing with some dipshit on twitter so thought I'd share them here - they're quite interesting especially in light of the "school meals"/UK Hunger fiasco recently:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1356216793384120321?s=20

This is what made me look into it. I'd heard these figures before but what he's given here is actually a best case scenario: Cows require somewhere between 6x and 25x as many calories from feed as they produce to eat according to various studies.

Anyway, some tool was arguing "These figures aren't meaningful! Animal food is not human food!" but did you know that 3+ million tonnes of wheat, barley, oats and maize are fed to animals yearly in the UK? And another 3 million tons of soya? That's enough calories, if we just ate them directly, to feed over 14 million adults for a year (at 2500kcals/person) - so if you say all of that is being fed to chickens, it's effectively wasting half (or more) of those calories, or food for 7+ million people.

Not only that but around the UK imports most of that soy, and around 1m tonnes/year of it are from sources that contribute towards deforestation (mostly in South America). Around 90% of soybean meal produced worldwide is fed to animals btw.

Just thought that was interesting.

I mean, yeah anyone who does like GCSE biology would probably understand that, the food you eat every day isn't stored as mass it's converted to energy to allow you to do things like maintain your body temperature and move. The same is also true of animals, some of it is converted to mass but most of it is not, it's just keeping them alive.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Still hoping for chloroplast implants.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
It's interesting, but is it useful? It kinda leaves itself open for arguments of "but the purpose of food isn't just to get calories into you in the most efficient way possible". You could just as well argue that the pig isn't *wasting* two thirds of the calories, it's *using* them to make them taste of pork.

Even ignoring the basic ethics of "to meat eat or no", maybe we really do need to start thinking of food that way... calories are energy, and current global energy is unsustainable, lower the footprint any which way. People in other countries shouldn't suffer to make our calories taste nice, either.

But, like, it's wildly optimistic to think that looking at the numbers is going to convince people who don't already basically agree. Don't get me wrong, they're stark numbers and they're important, I just wonder if as an argument they're actually *persuasive*.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Convex posted:

Starmer is somehow less convincing as an effective opposition leader than Ed Miliband, how did this happen :psyduck:

i think it might be because ed behind the new labour waffle seemed like a quite likeable person whereas keir is quite obviously a complete oval office

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

WhatEvil posted:

The problem is that you're wrong and the tool is right.

We can't do accurate math on how much food we waste, because pure calories is a meaningless number for any purpose but burning the food. To do that, we need to figure out the proportion of incoming food from sources that humans cannot digest. This does include various grasses on arable land, because the grasses are necessary to prevent long-term soil erosion. Then you need to figure out how much of the feed is made from sources that wouldn't survive transport or are ill-suited for human consumption for other reasons. And how many of the animals are slaughtered when you run out of feed that would spoil otherwise.

Then you need to figure out the difference in protein content. Only then do you have the information to make a decent guess, saying we're wasting half of the calories fed to animals is just plain wrong.

Now, on average, every country in western world eats way too many animals to be anywhere near optimal production, yes, but there's a point where eating more animals would help fight both hunger and climate change better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

endlessmonotony posted:

Now, on average, every country in western world eats way too many animals to be anywhere near optimal production, yes, but there's a point where eating more animals would help fight both hunger and climate change better.

That's the salient point of your post though, isn't it? Maybe there is a point where eating more animals would be better for people and the environment, but if so that point is *far far below* currently levels of meat consumption.

Also if we're getting into the "it's more complicated than that" thing (which yes, admittedly it is) I haven't even mentioned the vast amount of methane (a very very potent greenhouse gas) produced by cow burps and farts, as the environmental impact goes.