Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't think people in the continent are that well versed in the troubles or the causes thereof, or if they are, it's distant enough in their heads they don't make the connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kin posted:

Is this sort of unconscious sycophancy just a UK thing or present the world over? Just curious if other countries look at this kind of thing going on over here and just roll their eyes.

Like everyone is tripping over themselves to praise him for "everything he did" when the reality is that he did a quaint but nice thing that the media machine grabbed ahold of and whored into a "good brand" that you were evil if you didn't provide fawning praise to.

Like, we all know there's some smug gits at the top of the newspaper business having a meeting about how much money/viewers/readers the "Captain Tom" campaign they started has produced.

Most people everywhere are patriotic or nationalistic to some degree, it's innate to the human species. But the UK and the US seems to take it further than others.

Also brexit is affecting me now, the only store I know of in Finland with UK/Aus/US food is basically out of everything I wanted to buy (malt vinegar, marmite and vegemite).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Kin posted:

Well, actually this is why i'm asking the question. We got Nest thermostats installed today but the engineer left the schedule for the hot water as 9am to 9pm or something but i dunno if it actually needs to be on that long.

The way our heating system works is that there's 2 thermostats to turn the radiators in the 2 zones on and off but the hot water one is on a separate, third system that heats up the water in the cylinder (in single zone houses i assume it's normal to have the 2 systems so that you have hot water even when the radiators aren't needed).

Anyway, nest thermostats are room thermostats only, not cylinder thermostats. So the best they can do for the house hot water is turn the heating to it on and off.

Edit: There is a thermostat on the cylinder so it might be a moot question as that's supposed to keep the temperature in it at a certain level anyway.

Our thermostats don't give two fucks what the indoor temp is, don't even got one. It only goes by the outdoor temperature and a heating curve we adjust on the heater so that the house is kept at a nice consistent temp (around 18-19C).

It's actually a kinda nice system because the base heat doesn't fluctuate wildly if you open some windows or set a fire for additional heat doesn't cause it to stop doing it's job. We can therefore keep the heater set to 18-19C and make the house warmer using firewood without the two systems fighting each other.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mebh posted:

I spent valentines day cooking, then we curled up on the sofa and read about the bubonic plague together and drank chambord.

I completely forgot about this stupid rear end holiday, but the kids made a nutella sandwich for mom so I guess that covers it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

notaspy posted:

The left is never going to get out from under anti-Semitism until we move on from Corbyn.

WRONG

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Pancake (well crepes) toppings, I tried that sugar & lemon thing but didn't see the big deal. Homemade strawberry jam will always be #1 in my book. Other options include
-Jam with some ice cream
-Jam with whipped cream
-Butter and sugar
-Butter and honey
-Sweet condensed milk

Yes I got diabetes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Flayer posted:

Corbyn lost because of weak political tactics and instincts (which is no knock against him as a person at all). For example in the debate with Johnson where he refused to have a clear view on Brexit and basically deferred the decision. In retrospect he would have been far better off saying "we have to respect the will of the people and leave" or the like and forgetting about appeasing the Lib Dem vote (even though personally I've always been very anti-Brexit and still am).

You know I was there at the time and I remember this clearly being Corbyns stance from the start before the 2017 election. But every one of his allies thought differentely and forced him to adopt that new stance, Owen Jones wrote a lot of stuff about it, John McDonnell went out against him on this point as well and Diane Abbot too.

This particular thing (brexit stance) I don't think people can shove off on Corbyn as his fault, since he had the right stance from the start, and only went with the majority view of those around him after like a solid year of bitching about it. Well they got what they wanted.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yep so everyone got what they wanted, in terms of policy, well except Corbyn.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MikeCrotch posted:

Remember that Labour lost over 2 million to the Lib Dems and Greens in 2019. Sticking with the (increasing unpopular) soft brexit plan might have meant keeping some of those north and Midlands seats but would have meant losing Putney, Plymouth, Canterbury etc. It's highly unlikely Labour would have come out ahead in that transaction especially as the majority of the membership would be demoralised by that plan.

They might have lost those voters, but if those voters had gone to the libdems and labour had kept the red wall, wouldn't that mean more votes away from the tories at least, even if it doesn't mean labour wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Mung was the fluid that leaks from dead bodies and makes for a terrible lubricant.

Yet it's what greases the wheels of capitalism