Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Interesting piece about Sky News

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/art...research-finds/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
How can they treat a QC like that?!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

People who've been contacted about vaccines - how did you get contacted? Text from your GP surgery? Letter?

I ask only because I've recently moved, and don't want to land myself in the same situation as the poster who's surgery deregistered them, and I sort of still have access to the old place for post (sister in law owns it but hasn't been forwarding post and I can't drive, so it's down to when my wife happens to get across there).

Just wondering in case there's an invite letter waiting at home I might have missed - i have asthma and am 40 so I don't know if the list has gone that far down yet. I just don't want to miss my spot and get to mid march when all of the gammons have been vaccinated and have successfully lobbied Boris to let them spit directly in people's mouths again.

That reminds me: there are some very plausible vaccination phishing emails purporting to be from the NHS going around.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

One of the benefits of working in supermarkets is you can get fresh bread most days. Still one of the nicest foods IMO.

You buy your bread?
:smug:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I highly recommend baking your own bread. I stopped for a few years but have started again in lockdown. It's fun, delicious, and significantly easier than you have been led to believe.

Extremely true. It’s terrifically satisfying. This bunch are very friendly and helpful:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511135&perpage=40&noseen=1

Edit: also relatively cheap

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I love that!

I read this rather good letter which made me think of the free speech argument we had here a few weeks ago.

https://lettersofnote.com/2016/02/02/every-ounce-of-my-energy/

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I was cautiously optimistic about Starmer. Now I am recklessly pessimistic.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This is a tremendous article on the seam of chalk that runs from France to England, including the white cliffs. It's absolutely superb non-fiction writing.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/03/12/season-on-the-chalk

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

Opening new fossil fuel plants seems like a total absurdity in 2021 when nuclear technology is right there and can deliver vastly more energy for minimal carbon output, and modern designs can even reuse most of the waste. If I was PM I'd absolutely be shooting for a policy of mass nuclear plant construction, the dismantling of the entire fossil-based infrastructure, and a big retraining programme with workers directly transitioned into new jobs in the sector. The hate vs nuclear is so overwrought and is mostly based on concerns that are only really issues in 1960s/1970s designs (i.e. Chernobyl, Fukushima, Three Mile Island), newer types are safe as houses and despite being a big pop culture thing and lasting a long time radioactive waste can legitimately just be buried in lead where it will cause little if any harm. Actually, now I think about it the Simpsons has a lot to answer for when it comes to shaping collective attitudes towards nuclear power.

Yes! I am Increasingly pro-nuclear. No option is perfect but it seems among the best. I’d love to see a national or multi-national Manhattan Project for safer nuclear and/or fusion power and/or alternative sustainable power sources. That’s what real leadership in the space would be.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Camrath posted:

The Fudge Shop is open!

Hey guys, super stoked to report that Fudjit is now fully back in operation! There are currently six flavours stocked on the website, and we will be adding several new ones each week going forwards!

And though I say it myself, this is probably the best fudge I’ve made so far- the new kitchen is working out really well :)

We have four popular flavours as well as two brand new ones available. These are:

* Original Vanilla
* Milk Chocolate
* Dark Chocolate
* Chocolate Orange
* Toblerone - everyone’s favourite triangular treat combined with our smoothest fudge. The honey nougat has melted into the fudge to give a slight chew and subtle background flavour
* Pretzelicious - chocolate dipped pretzels enrobed in slightly salted fudge, for a great combo of salt and sweet, smoothness and crunch.

Going forwards the goal is to introduce an ‘experimental’ flavour at least several times a month- if there’s any flavour you’d like me to try out making please let me know either here or via email to Fudjit.orders@gmail.com and I’ll see what can be done!

All stock is now live and for sale at https://www.fudjit.co.uk - use the special goon discount code ‘roastbeefisbest’ to get five bags for the price of four :)

I am sad to report however that I’m currently not able to ship outside of the UK. I know there are several fudge fans on the mainland, and I’m deeply sorry that our government has hosed up your fudge supply. As soon as I find a solution, I will let you know

Happy fudging, guys and gals

Just ordered. My attempt at a voucher saying roastlambisbest didn’t work. :argh:

Guavanaut posted:

genderno-neytral'nyye lagerei

With unisex toilets, I assume?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Camrath posted:

Now there’s a plan..
Garlic fudge is certainly on the menu for the future, so..

Simultaneously, thank you for your order and aww, bless your heart. You will come to understand :)

(It’s a monster munch thing.. with regards the actual meats, I’d back you to the hilt on that one)

Ah so. I’m abstaining from monster munch chat. I have no strong views on the matter. That might change if they did a roast lamb version.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BalloonFish posted:

:same:

I thought that, at worst he'd be another Ed Miliband in terms of policy, and that I'd probably end up thinking "It's annoying how far to the right he's gone but before Corbyn I'd probably be all over this platform since I had never known anything better!"

But he's not only worse from a policy perspective (judging from the few times when he has actually stated a position on something) but he's just useless at even playing the political game. Worse than JC, and he wasn't very good at it and had the entire media out to get him.

Totally agree. I thought JC didn’t play the political game very well and that at least Starmer would do that. He doesn’t, and his policies (or lack thereof) are worse. What a disappointment.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

happyhippy posted:

Edward did the ultimate faux pas that you could do as a Royal, he did a charity thing with oiks that actually raised money instead of them spending the oiks money.
The poshes and media didn't like it, and he has been hiding ever since.

I thought it was because he was gay and thus to be hidden from sight, lest the idea of a gay royal caused the people to rise up and become republicans.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Question IRL posted:

It's old fashioned but some parents really do have a golden child. A kid who they love unconditionally no matter what. Even if they have more children, the golden child still get's the preferential treatment.

One has only to read the r/relationships thread to see the truth of this.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vitamin P posted:

Bastani's an interesting case, when Long-Bailey was sacked for retweeting an Independent article by Maxine Peake he pointed out, correctly, that Peake should be suing gently caress out of the Labour Party for libel that her piece was antisemitic in the slightest.

It's obviously not financially viable for most people to defend themselves against defamation but I honestly think Bastani would see the greater benefit in doing it.

The Israeli security services did not train the police who killed George Floyd. They did not learn that tactic from the Israelis. The American police are quite capable of figuring out how to oppress people all by themselves - they’ve had enough practise. Drawing a link between George Floyd’s murder and Israel where there is none is what? An innocent mistake? A classic antisemitic trope is blaming Jews (or the Jewish state) for all the ills in the world. US police are trained by many other countries but only Israel was mentioned. Curious.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://israelitacticalkravmaga.com/

scroll down the page a bit.

Now, prior to this all breaking out in the press, this particular website had on its front page a huge image of a person being 'kneed' as George Floyd, boasted of training by former Israeli security services based in Brooklyn and a list of US police forces they had trained. A link to this was posted in many places. A big panic on that website ensued and it was taken down and completely redone over a weekend so that big image was not the first thing you saw. However, there is still a smaller image of a similar training with someone kneeling on a neck in the photos that follow.

Interestingly, despite having been saved over 60 times over the relevant week, these 'saves' have all disappeared from the webarchive service.

If you look at this link http://labournet.net/world/2006/kravmaga1.html, you will see how the page looked prior to the 'take down'. Neck being kneeled on, fingers in eyes.

Ok, I've uploaded the image directly here:

Were the police who killed George Floyd trained by the Israeli security services? I thought not? I was going by this:

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-did-israeli-secret-service-teach-floyd-police-to-kneel-on-neck

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Potentially 'former' israeli secret service who trained people via the Brooklyn based school I linked to.
Obviously we can't prove EXACTLY which persons did the training.

From Times Of Israel showing the tactic in use by IDF on a Palestinian. The quote in the factcheck link you posted by Mickey Rosenfield specifies 'police' which IMHO is being a little disingenuous.

source: https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-soldier-filmed-kneeling-on-palestinian-protesters-neck-during-arrest/

Did they train the police who killed Floyd? I haven’t seen evidence of that. Maybe I missed it?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

"Ok yes so we know they trained cops in general and use the technique themselves and the connection illustrates the thread of brutality in racial persecution occuring all over the world but we can't prove that the specific cop learned it there so actually you're a hitler and that's the real point" is definitely the argumentation style I've come to expect.

You’re a Hitler? I never went there. I agree with the bolded part of your post - but if you can’t prove it then why say it? And if you can’t prove it (because it’s not true) why defend it? You don’t think American cops have been doing it without training from third parties? And of all the oppressive third parties who use that technique, and have trained US police, why is Israel specifically chosen?

quote="Jose" post="512310932"]
Christ you're being a pedantic oval office
[/quote]

You’re just being a oval office. A statement was made linking Israel to George Floyd. Nobody can prove it was true. As bump said, it’s not like you even need to look to external parties to train US police in brutality. You don’t want to think for a second that maybe creating a false linkage may be problematic? The US police are bad enough. What Israel does to Palestinians is bad enough. You don’t need to make either worse by falsely linking them.

therattle fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 7, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

No I mean the fact that stuff actually disappears presumably through money or quiet legal pressure is kind of funny when the allegation is that people who say the thing happened are suggesting there is a big jewish conspiracy :v:

Cos you end up having to say "no there is a conspiracy to hide it but not that kind of conspiracy"

Ah yes sorry, you didn't explicitly say JA was an antisemite you just sort of.. vaguely suggested it was a possibility.

I was genuinely asking JA if what they posted showed the connection, as I may have missed it. Blaming Israel for bad things that happen in the world when it isn’t true makes me a little edgy. I think it’s a bit antisemitic, in an indirect way. But saying that seems to press all kinds of buttons here.

Anyway, I’m going to bed so I’ll stop the argument.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

Cool to be unashamed of shameful things

I saw that and went FFS. What a useless piece of poo poo.

I hardly ever use oval office, except when really provoked. Growing up it was a uniquely bad word, and it’s definitely gendered.

(FWIW I think RLB’s sacking on the basis of a weakly AS quote was bullshit too, and clearly Starmer taking an opportunity to fire her).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

Plenty of economics textbooks say that, but in the UK there is no Bank of England rule that says "if customers have deposited £100 with you, you can lend out £800". But there is a limit to how much money they can/will create, and the BoE can influence this with interest rates:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvRAqR2pAgw

I don’t think that is right. I believe that is covered under BOE capital adequacy regulations, which although not identical has the same effect.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Communist Bear posted:

You win one rugby game and suddenly they take the power away from you.

And what a game it was! I finished the replay earlier. Loved it.

Vitamin P posted:

That is obviously the case but you don't have to add those brackets caveats, your views are coherently lefty and incidentally jewish far more than they're defined by what establishment discourse and social orthodoxy judaism suggests they should be. Even when I go hard against the point I do appreciate your take you seem like an honest actor, you don't need to justify yourself like that the good faith is assumed, for me at least.

Thanks. I really appreciate that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

So, I'm not an expert on this, but my understanding is:
Although capital requirements and reserve requirements both limit the amount of money banks can create, they are quite different.

In the uk there are capital requirements, but not reserve requirements.

Capital requirements are the amount of equity a financial institution must have in relation to its assets. If capital requirements are 5%, it means that a bank must have $1 in equity for every $20 dollars of assets.

So if a bank is at the very limit of its capital requirements, then a customer deposits £10, this doesn't mean they can loan out another £200. The bank is contractually obliged to give the depositer their money back if they want it. This is different to the money put up by investors (the equity), because if the bank's loans go bad and lose money, then this loss can be absorbed by the equity.

https://www.thirdway.org/memo/capital-requirements-and-bank-balance-sheets-reviewing-the-basics

You’re quite right. That’s why I said that capital adequacy had a similar effect to reserve requirements, not that they were the same.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Is moral turpitude what they used to paint the sistine chapel?

No, it what they use to clean mortal sin.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He presents each of his jokes with the smug satisfaction of a toddler showing you they used the potty.

That’s funnier than any joke Andy Parsons has done. I don’t watch it often but sometimes HIGNFY is quite funny. Despite his politics I like Hislop, and he has something approaching integrity, I think (he’s not afraid to criticise the Tories). When Merton is on form he can be very funny and then it depends on the guests and hosts, which can vary widely in quality.

I do enjoy I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Don't know if you are genuinely asking or whether this is insightful, but the reason is most likely that us humans create our "rationality" ex-post - making our supposed preferences and explanations fit a certain interpretation of events. So, it's not necessarily just people being good or bad, it is also related to what consistent explanations are available.
We generally detest randomness. These positive examples probably have some other valid reason in their mind as to why they became famous.

Most importantly, positive feedback ultimately (for the average person) gives credence and legitimization to the system that produces such feedback. For example, people who get promoted, people who exhibit fame, people who get points on internet boards or gain status or even (just to be balanced) get traction by lefty-shitposting on twitter will understand feedback as legitimization of the thing at hand. It's not just vanity, though, it's also something that protects us humans psychically from the necessity to be hyper-rational at all times. Being rational is actually quite depressing, so we tend not to do it.

James March and Herb Simon are good people to read for the implications of this.

Edit: No reason not to read James March tbh even if you detest economists.

Herb Simon the sociologist? American, must be about 85 now? I know him. My wife did some work in sociology and became friends with him, I think he was working here for a while. He's very cool.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes sorry I should have clarified in my edit. Just a saucepan of less-than boiling water for 10 mins should do nicely. I was thinking it might require boiling which is why I suggested the InstantPot just because I have a fear of exploding cans

You reduce the chance of explosion if the can is completely submerged, I believe. Something to do with pressure differentials

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

But also a for a United Ireland and against the war in Iraq, foundation hospitals, university tuition and top-up fees, ID cards and extended detention without trial.

In conclusion, the lost Aontú MP for Vauxhall?

In conclusion, Kate Hooey, a land of contrasts.

I don’t think she is paid to advance those positions. Unfortunately, people seem able to do so of their own volition.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kin posted:

On the million quid thing, isn't the whole thing about that level of money being that you can start to use it to generate more money for yourself rather than physically working for it.

So things like living off the interest is one route but also sticking it into things like investments, stocks, shares pensions and ISAs and whatnot too?

I'm kinda curious generally because my fiance and I are kinda at that point. We're approaching 40 have decent jobs but short of having our pensions (and i've got a halifax ISA) we haven't really thought about how to make the most of our money over the next 35 working years.

Pay a bit of that money to an independent financial adviser. There are more ethical ones out there (eg The Path).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jakabite posted:

Being a dick about people wanting to go on holiday after a year of lockdown misery isn't as good a take as most of this thread seem to think. God forbid people should be asking whether they might be able to go and do something enjoyable to blow off some steam in the near future.

Yeah. And actually by saying now that people shouldn’t do it the govt is avoiding people booking now and then later being told not to go. It is far enough in advance that people probably won’t take it too badly now, but it also gives the government a chance to relax it down the line if things improve. It’s the tactic it should have followed all along: start strict and early, and relax things later if possible, rather than try and be as lenient as possible and then slam the brakes on too late, throwing everyone into disarray. I hate to say it but I think this is the right course of action.

The Perfect Element posted:

tbf I'm impressed that the government have actually come out and said DON'T BOOK A HOLIDAY. Are they finally learning that repeatedly over-promising and under-delivering is not a good way to go?

Yeah, said more succinctly.

therattle fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 11, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Peanut butter filled pretzels are loving amazing

Rumda posted:

Grassing people in to the police is grassing people into the police. If you would do if for a doctor not following social distancing guidelines you are more likely to to it for someone stealing food to live, or vandalizing an abusive landlords property.

I don’t really buy that. One activity places people at real risk; the ones you’ve posted don’t. As someone has said, it’s about the motivation. To punish someone or protect property isn’t the same as protecting people’s lives.

therattle fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 11, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rumda posted:

Its still the same behavior. Its still turning people over to the power of an vicious and uncaring state

Sure. Some behaviour warrants that. The argument is really whether this particular behaviour does. I can see valid arguments in both sides. In this particular instance I don’t think that the police would be my first port of call.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I want to live in the hell timeline where diana was alive between 1997 and 2017

Also what the gently caress does princess diana memorial flavour taste like?

Stale with a metallic tang.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jesus gently caress, stuff like this incenses me. Which scientists are calling fir debate and how many scientists do they represent? It’s just like the small % of climate sceptical scientists who are just asking for debate or presenting an alternative view. It’s from the same playbook (originated by tobacco, if not before).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Camrath posted:

Fudge Update!

Hey guys!

It's friday, that means it's Fudge Restock day!

In addition to supplies of Milk and Dark chocolate, we now have new supplies of Vanilla (which is frankly the best fudge I've ever made to date) and the much requested (and renamed) 'Publicly Toblerowned'. We also have two additional flavours- Irish Cream, now made with genuine Baileys, and our brand new vegan flavour, Vegan Cookies- Mini oreos surrounded by our special fully vegan fudge, for a completely cruelty free treat.

All stock is available for sale at https://www.fudjit.co.uk ; use the special top sekrit goon code 'Roastbeefisbest' to get five for the price of four! :)

And as always, thank you all for your support!

I can confirm that the vanilla and salted pretzels fudges are very, very good. And I have impeccable taste.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WhatEvil posted:

How much is in a portion? Can't see that it says anywhere on there how much you get for £3.50.

It’s not a huge amount but it’s very rich and intense, so one doesn’t need a lot at a time, and it really is very good. I’ve always been quality over quantity but YMMV

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vitamin P posted:

As a former Green member and paid employee for the party they are profoundly unserious about achieving any of their stated aims. If you've ever read Polly Toynbee you'll get the vibe, it's people that are happy, comfortable and well-paid pointing out problems but actively shrinking away from doing anything difficult that might materially help the solutions be achieved because the status quo is comfortable for them. The leadership are over-paid hobbyists exploiting people that actually want to save the planet.

There's some stuff that contractually I don't know if I can say but here's a really neat public example

https://twitter.com/sianberry/status/1321825660030095361?lang=en

On the day that Corbs got kicked from Labour there were obviously people that were previously in Labour feeling that's a bridge too far and they quit the party, don't think that's smart but some people were obviously gonna do it. The response from the leader of the Greens, the obvious home for those people, was complete aggression, it was cosigning all the obviously biased, bad-faith, hateful media presentation that people who wanted a lefty alternative to lovely neoliberalism were actually inherently suspect bigots. It was disgusting on it's own but was also emblematic of how useless the Greens are, if the leadership actually gave a gently caress about systemically helping the planet it would recognise that there is no possible loving path to saving the planet that involves actively placating the Daily Mail, the existing power structures will have to be tackled at some point, but that's not what the Greens choose to do.

Someone wrote something here some time ago about no ecological recovery without systemic change. Much of the works operates on a destructive, extractive system (capitalist or similar) which is predicated on constant growth (so as to avoid significant redistribution). If one is serious about saving the environment then one has to be serious about changing the system.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scikar posted:

Did you mean a specific post in the UKMT? I can't remember one but for this topic George Monbiot is usually pretty good. Also good at checking himself for previous stuff - he reversed opposition to nuclear when he realised there's basically no chance of stopping climate change without it for example, and often calls out landlords, land ownership etc etc as root causes of inequality. Probably a bit too trusting of the police and XR though.

It was here. Not a long post but incisive. I have also come around to nuclear. My wife was quite involved in XR strategy but removed herself when she realised it was perpetuating the same power structures that got us into this mess and that its views on race (well, some key players’ views) etc were intolerable. There wasn’t the acknowledgement of the clear link between social and environmental justice. It’s one of those orgs where there is supposedly no hierarchy but what that really means is no explicit hierarchy, so you get power without accountability.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

the way of life so many people are in such a rush to get back to is environmentally unsustainable anyway, covid is a good reason to revise how things are done imo

I completely agree but it is an opportunity that the government is not just ignoring but actively avoiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

i do have to wonder if the people who talk about the dreadful toll that doing more indoor activities and not going abroad for their hooray! hooray! holi-holidaaays is taking on them have heard about what's going on in say syria this last decade lol

What the gently caress is your problem? Wanting to go on holiday is a perfectly normal and acceptable desire, especially after one has been locked down on and off for a year. It represents freedom and is probably one of the high points of most people’s year. WTF does that have to do with Syria? I want to go on holiday (but I’m not going to), and I am very aware of Syria.

Go for another walk. A longer one.