Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

1965917 posted:

A year later and I'm still angry

anger is a gift, comrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

lmao

I actually quite like this as a complete poo poo-posting answer

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's the gift that keeps on giving until you die

Try jokerfication instead imo, the UK is funny as gently caress

Oh I'm fully jokerfied, but anger is the first step on the road to true nihilism

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Speaking as someone who also has asthma and is under 60 - you aren't going to have to worry about getting your vaccination until autumn at the very earliest anyway, which is plenty of time to ensure you are properly registered

It is more likely to be this time next year

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

True nihilism is just game over only you're hanging around causing trouble

de verdad

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

nah just kidding, it's great. Have fun.

Thanks!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

If the idiots want to euthanize themselves I have no particular quarrel with that. As long as I can get the thing and the infection rate stays low enough not to pose a significant risk to the people I care about then the people too stupid to care can do what they want.

Problem is that statistically unless an awful lot of those idiots get jabbed we aren't going to manage herd immunity and the vulnerable will still be at risk

Getting vaccinated doesn't give you an impenetrable spell of virus warding (as you no doubt already know)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Borrovan posted:

The current evidence is suggesting that the vaccine doesn't actually do much to stop trasmission,* so herd immunity is a looonngg way off

*except insofar as it makes people more likely to be asymptomatic, which itself reduces - but does not entirely prevent - transmission

I guess the million dollarpound question is if post-vaccination 'asymptomatic' means 'no symptoms' or if it means (as it has thus far) 'no obvious symptoms, but enjoy your brain and heart damage lol'

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Anyone able to take a stab (lol) as to when my partner will get her jab? She has rheumatoid arthritis and is on immunosuppressants, but she's only 32. We looking at April or May?

I have rear end-marr but I doubt they'll consider it 'serious' so I'm going to be waiting a looong time

Funny thing is even with the immunosuppressants her immune system is 10x what mine is, I've never met a bug that hasn't gone to town on me while she rarely gets sick and if so only extremely mildly

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

that's sir captain tom day to you

that's saint sir captain tom day to you

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

run a movie synopsis through google translate several times and then back into english and make them guess the movie

also: pixellate a famous movie scene and make them guess the movie (i had a round get harder and harder and to my astonishment someone guessed american beauty for the last question despite my image having 6 pixels in it)

These are both amazing ideas, holy poo poo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's hard to take this as anything other than them overtly trying to kill me, my partner, and my friends

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Timed juuuuust right for Boris to do a "back to normal by Easter" spread in the Mail:

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1360258832514109447?s=20

NO
gently caress NO
loving gently caress loving loving NO
gently caress

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

To be fair that's not news. Boris announced a while ago that he'd be talking about the path out of lockdown in the week of Feb 22nd. This just repeats that. Schools being aimed at March 8th suggests that's the earliest anything will change. That's still too early of course.

And that's reason for me not to be despairing how?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Scikar posted:

Can only speak for myself here, but at least for me a large part of the mental strain of lockdown is not the lockdown itself. I know it's for a good reason and I will happily sign up for more if it means saving lives. The stress comes from knowing that all of that collective sacrifice is going to be squandered by this government. They already wasted the first lockdown in the name of making number go up, 100k are dead and they show no sign of breaking the cycle, or even being challenged to do so by current Labour leadership. So no, I'm not going to feel any better if the rules are relaxed and I can exercise properly again, when I know that the process of doing so is going to kill even more in another wave. I'm not going to recover mentally until the pandemic is under control, lockdown or no lockdown.

Empty loving quote

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

namesake posted:

You've given up. Thats sad but it happens. Go away.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

I think it just gets my goat to see some goons absolutely demonise people who, without any ill will in the world, are hopeful that the vaccine might allow them to get back to their lives. Hell, most people won't even have heard of a zero Covid strategy. Wondering if you might be able to go on holiday or to the pub this year doesn't make you some awful selfish elite bastard who doesn't care about other people.

Sorry, who said this?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

Oh get hosed you holier than thou prick

Ok, forget I empty quoted the 'go away', you can stick around. But it sure sounds like you've given up.

EDIT and no, before you say it, I am not a shut in goon who loves to be on his own and likes to kiss being on my own and have babies with being on my own and the babies looked at you. I am desperate to go to a pub, and to see my first ever niece who I have met twice in 14 months and who, when I think about her, makes my heart hurt and so I try not to too often, and visit my friends, and my parents, and my granny except she died the other week, and/or do anything except stare at these same loving walls

But I'll sit here forever if it keeps other people safe, end of story, until an actual comprehensive zero covid strategy is in place.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 13, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

this dude want to gently caress he own daughter and shoot a four year old boy, a shameful dude

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

TheRat posted:

The extreme holliday culture is ultrabad for the planet and is not very respectable imo

Yeah sadly this is true.

Like, honestly the only thing I still wanna do on this wretched planet is see a little more of it before I die in the hunger games of 2034, but I know in my heart of hearts I can't justify it to myself. It makes me really sad

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 13, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jose posted:

The left wing party who are not the government have clearly rigged the election so they win

Lol cool

https://twitter.com/adamhamdy/status/1360876177339129856?s=19

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n314

Murder. They are loving murdering us

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Scikar posted:

It all just seems so pointless.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Wachter posted:

Tbf he did an ocular pat-down and tactically ascertained the restaurants are COVID free

Just wanna let you know I appreciated this

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

So I got the job I was panicking about in the January thread. Starting it in a few weeks and am now enjoying that limbo period where you've signed the documents to start a new job and are just waiting to start it. Without the stress of applying for stuff I've been able to actually play and enjoy stuff guilt free. Shame I couldn't go out and get a meal somewhere to celebrate but that's a pretty minor issue.

I'm pretty nervous, not really about the job itself. More because when starting previous jobs I've not known anything about my co-workers where with this one, they have a team page on their company website that really illustrates that everyone I'm about to work with has done some incredible things, lived all over the world and worked on a bunch of stuff they're clearly very proud of (rightly so) and I kind of haven't. The other thing is just starting a job working from home and probably not actually "meeting" my coworkers until June/July at the earliest is going to feel extremely weird I think. Anyone who has been in a similar position able to give any tips haha?

Sounds like classic imposter syndrome to me.

I struggle with it really, really badly as well so I can't give you a magic tip to make it go away, but you need to try to remember as best you can that you are you and not someone else, and you can't constantly compare yourself to other people or you'll go mad and/or freeze up and never achieve anything for yourself.

They've done a bunch of stuff but that doesn't mean that they're, like, better people than you, y'know? Everyone's moving at their own pace and doing their own thing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

I don't really care about abs, I just want a tummy that does this: | instead of this: )

that's why you gotta build abs

('abs' does not mean 'six pack' and they don't need to be visible, they're just muscles like any other. Getting Regular Muscles when you've never had them before is the way to look good in general)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

and tbh if you're past thirty and you've not got a history of working out then getting a perfectly flat stomach is going to be pretty difficult anyway. Don't run yourself into the ground chasing it, just get fitter in general and you'll be happier and look better generally

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Oh yeah absolutely, it is definitely imposter syndrome. It's hard to shake that feeling but my logic so far has been they didn't hire me on a whim presumably, they thought about it for a couple of weeks, they feel like I'll fit in and that this opportunity will be the sort of thing that'd make a similarly impressive part of someone's career. Your advice is spot on as well though so cheers.

The tips thing was more the "starting a job entirely working from home" aspect really. It's going to feel so weird I think, like my usual way of getting to know people is entirely out and this last year has utterly destroyed my ability to make small talk I've realised cause I barely talk to anyone outside of my friend group on discord and don't do anything of note. They had somebody start a few months ago and I think some other people will be starting at the same time or around when I start though so they probably have some idea on how to go about it. My job is going to involve talking to pretty much everyone in some capacity so I should be good once I actually start really, it's this period where all I can do is wait that's making my brain create problems.

Sure man, glad I could help.

There are so many people who only achieve something of note in, like, their 40s or 50s. Late bloomers. There are many, many, many more people who never really achieve much of anything, like Owl pointed out. The point of life isn't really to Achieve Stuff According To Mutually Agreed Standards And On A Mutually Agreed Timeline, it's to be happy however you can (at as little or no expense to other people that you can manage) and make other people happy in turn. Having a steady mind and a sense of peace is the most valuable thing there is, far more so than travelling around the world or whatever. It's loving hard to accomplish, especially for anxious people like yourself or myself, but it's worth focusing on.

And as you say, everyone starts somewhere. I have a feeling once you start you're going to relax pretty quickly (probably after an awkward couple of weeks). So long as the job isn't lovely or exploitative and the people aren't dickheads, of course.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

LordVorbis posted:

It's the 210 daily deaths. Its just stated as such a matter of fact, don't think about it. "Today 210 people died, and some kittens played outside."

TWO HUNDRED AND TEN. In one day, for literally no reason. Twenty three people died in the Manchester Arena bombing and that is STILL (rightly) confided a massive tragedy. I'm so angry at this and utter lack of response from Media, Labour, other political parties, loving ANYONE. I'm just screaming into the void and then another day has passed and another two hundred people die.

I don't even know how to process and cope with this. There's no hope, nothing will change and at this point I'm just waiting for the world to end. Except I think it did end while ago, we're just catching up.

You get past the despair eventually and then you feel quite peaceful again

There's nothing you can do about it, so try not to worry, just appreciate the time you have

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

A bunch of people I follow on Twitter are really excited by this loosening of the lockdown, but I’m just feeling a sense of dread. Hopefully I’m wrong and the vaccines solve most of the problem by reducing transmission as well as morbidity and mortality, but I am not counting on it.

It doesn’t look like I’ll be able to see my mum til mid May, so that’s two birthdays I won’t have seen her, and 9 months without her seeing my daughter, but I’m even worried about that being too soon and too risky. I wonder if I’ve just been conditioned to view isolation as normal now.

Not at all, your reaction is perfectly reasonable and understandable.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

I can't help but worry we are all so loving desperate to get out of lockdown that we're rushing into it far too early. The government already proved they care more about businesses and their bottom line than about people dying so their analysis is suspect, and the opposition don't know the meaning of the word oppose as apparently that doesn't come under forensic analysis.

I'm a pessimist by nature but the odds that we're not going to gently caress this all up seem slim considering it's Great Britain, the stupidest loving country in all the land. Of course we'll gently caress it up so Tim Wetherspoons can open up his pubs at 25% capacity for a couple months before we lockdown again.

At some point before too long we will just stop locking down and accept thousands of deaths a year as the cost of capitalism, and we'll all just go along with it because we're a nation of shopkeepers.

Of course I could being slightly melodramatic, that is the worst case scenario (well, aside from a viral mutation that is immune to all existing vaccines and also much more lethal, I guess that's the actual worst case, but the point is I'm being a bit of a catastrophist)

Yeah this is where I'm at too

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

I saw a take on Twitter that seemed quite convincing, that the strategy seems to be 'vaccinate the old and people with underlying health conditions then reopen and go back to de facto herd immunity plan amongst the healthy <50s'. That way excess deaths drop off because the vulnerable aren't being infected, and you can open everything back up on the back of that while declaring everything 'back to normal' while ignoring that your whole working age population is getting sick and potentially developing long-covid symptoms as a result until you muddle through finally getting everyone else jabbed.

It's easy to spin because deaths are down, business loves it, old tory voters aren't in any danger because they've been vaccinated, it costs far less than doing things properly. Just don't think of the long-term public health consequences. I'm sure the person was just speculating but it would be very on brand.

This is literally what's happening

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/jasebyjason/status/1363908521742499845?s=21

It absolutely is, isn’t it. Everything’s going to be hosed for ever. Feels like people are just going to gladly accept the inevitable ‘we must pay back the cost of dealing with the pandemic’ turbo austerity that is inevitably going to follow after a brief period of extra spending

Yes. Make your peace with it as best you can

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

I am not criticising, I am just admiring your self-discipline. Honestly, the boredom is crippling in a way I had never expected so me and my partner have been just sitting watching trash and getting blackout drunk a couple times a week. We used to do that occasionally but saved the really heavy drinking for when we went on nights out with friends. And this is an improvement. We had to consciously decide to cut back after the realisation that we'd mananged to get through 15 bottles between us in less than a week over christmas/new year. Lockdown has normalised some pretty unhealthy behaviours that I think will take some time to unlearn!

Same. Well, not quite that much, but if I don't get pretty (not blackout, but really sloppy) drunk once a week I start to fray at the edges really, really badly

Occasionally twice if I'm feeling particularly fed up and nihilistic, but luckily that's not too often

I'm lucky that my partner is totally teetotal because if I had someone to actually drink with I'd be in a similar situation to you

Pistol_Pete posted:

Red wine gives me really filthy hangovers, so I usually avoid it.

Also same. Man I love red wine so much, but I just can't do it anymore. It's like having a normal hangover but with actual all-over body pain, like my nerves go a bit nuts.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 23, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, Christmas/NY was a car crash. Now that it's getting warmer and lighter again we're getting better at going for long walks and stuff instead of sitting about boozing every other day.

I think that's true for a lot of people even in the non-plague times, though, y'know? It's a period where rules kinda go out the window for a bit. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it too much (beyond just being aware of it, which you are).

I'm looking forward to the warmer weather but think I'll actually wind up drinking a bit more lol

Last year I enjoyed many long days in a meadow nearby lying in the sun, sinking tinnies and listening to the radio

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Extremely. I really need to get going on some freelance work but even when I do try it's like ten minutes on four hours off, and the clock is ticking away

We're all sat in a pressure cooker, it's always going to be hard to get poo poo done.

I also don't really sleep without powerful drugs at this point so that doesn't help

Anyway, it sounds like you're being productive still, maybe you just need to prune off some tasks if possible and have less on your plate?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

weird to think i probably won't vote again. this is what freedom feels like.

it's definitely freed up a lot of real estate in my brain

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

Do you think the tories are doing a bang-up job?

They've hosed up a crisis moment, their only trump card of delivering brexit has been played already and Starmer is zero substantial threat to the establishment, we've had over a decade of tory rule why wouldn't a superficial change to dogshit labour be imminent?

People love how much they've hosed up. They go loving mad for it

Jose posted:

I want the local elections to be such a massacre that they remove kieth and to see what shitters run for leadership

Extremely same

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 25, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Trash country

absolute garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

How do you even fix that level of warped psychological outlook?

I genuinely don't think you can.