Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It's really quite rude :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Won't Starmer's Labour be all too happy to be rid of the loony left Momentum thugs?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Has anybody started getting their second injections yet? Still plenty of time for them to push it back further or just decide one jab is enough for everybody IMO

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I think this is one of the most superbly subtle troll posts I've ever seen

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Comrade Fakename posted:

And as Borrovan mentioned, having a Jewish leader could be very useful!
I hope you don't think that being Jewish will stop accusations of antisemitism when the Labour Party is already booting out the 'wrong Jews'

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Even if Labour accidentally allowed another good leader to get elected I wouldn’t be in any rush to get excited again unless some serious purges happen. We already know how deep the rot goes and that a good leader will just get hobbled from within.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Let’s get those children back in school, no ifs or buts!

Up to 100 UK children a week hospitalised with rare post-Covid disease

quote:

Up to 100 children a week are being hospitalised with a rare disease that can emerge weeks after Covid-19, leaving them in intensive care, doctors have said.

In a phenomenon that is worrying paediatricians, 75% of the children worst affected by paediatric inflammatory multi-system syndrome (PIMS) were black, Asian or ethnic minority (BAME). Almost four out of five children were previously healthy, according to an unpublished snapshot of cases.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

keep punching joe posted:

Starmer is a loving idiot goon.
As an idiot goon myself I take offence to this :mad:

My partner’s workplace sent out an email today asking everybody to please turn off the NHS COVID app on their phones since it keeps telling people they should self-isolate

Like, I can imagine a world where what they say is true but given that their internal procedure for dealing with an infection has been ‘line manager calls infected employee to confirm and then tells the whole office employee is infected’ I don’t believe we live in that world.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dead keen on fudge but can I ask which ones are / are not gluten free again?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the loving toblerone fudge is out of stock already you absolute swine
motherfucker

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

happyhippy posted:

Boris will now announce selling off the NHS and will use this article to shut him up.
Boris will continue to de-privatise the NHS and Starmer will attack him for it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Mark Thomas Comedy Product definitely gave me an early kick up the radicalism hole

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mock the Week was always playing second fiddle to HIGNFY and I think that show is only still on because Hislop and Merton angered a witch and are cursed to sit behind those desks until their skeletons turn to dust

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The people wanted a vapid haircut in a suit and by god that’s what they got

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pesky Splinter posted:

Love to cultivate mutant, vaccine-resistant strains for the hell of it.
Nonsense, this is going to be a key part of future negotiations with the EU.

"Give us what we want, or we'll keep breeding new COVID variants and spreading them around the world"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Scikar posted:

Can only speak for myself here, but at least for me a large part of the mental strain of lockdown is not the lockdown itself. I know it's for a good reason and I will happily sign up for more if it means saving lives. The stress comes from knowing that all of that collective sacrifice is going to be squandered by this government. They already wasted the first lockdown in the name of making number go up, 100k are dead and they show no sign of breaking the cycle, or even being challenged to do so by current Labour leadership. So no, I'm not going to feel any better if the rules are relaxed and I can exercise properly again, when I know that the process of doing so is going to kill even more in another wave. I'm not going to recover mentally until the pandemic is under control, lockdown or no lockdown.
Yea this government has made it incredibly loving explicit that we are all sacrificing our limited time on this earth enduring pointless suffering so that they may squander any benefit provided by it

Camrath posted:

Fudge Update!

Hey guys!

It's friday, that means it's Fudge Restock day!

In addition to supplies of Milk and Dark chocolate, we now have new supplies of Vanilla (which is frankly the best fudge I've ever made to date) and the much requested (and renamed) 'Publicly Toblerowned'.
Sorry to contradict but this is wrong, the dark chocolate is by far the superior fudge

TACD fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 12, 2021

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The government is just fundamentally unable or unwilling to govern. All they know how to do is act destructively and ban things, and the only COVID tactic compatible with that is lockdown to varying degrees, so that’s what we’ve got.

They cannot or will not create anything (e.g. a track and trace system, a reliable quarantine procedure) and so they’re just going to keep pressing and releasing the lockdown button until enough people have been vaccinated that they can forget all about it and move on to destroying something else.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I was under the impression that a key difference between UK and US law is that not talking to the police after you’ve been arrested can be actively used against you over here?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like, I'm no expert, but I've heard one solution to Britain's problems is to divide britain up into several, even more self impressed, lesser britains.
Britain as one of those jelly enemies that splits into two smaller enemies when you kill it is a very good metaphor. They’re boring, generic, and while quite annoying usually not so dangerous that you have to take them seriously.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

finally, just the sort of fiddling around the edges of the crumbling capitalist system i’ve been waiting for

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Perfect Element posted:

"Actually, I was being pedantic in a slightly different way from the pedantry which you have pedantically highlighted - maybe you should try being less pedantic?" I said, pedantically.
should be an em dash not a hyphen :eng101:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

i had it and i felt like a zombie for about a week and a half and i am a strapping 30-something.
This isn't meant as a pry into your medical history or anything, but I've seen on here (and amongst friends IRL) quite a few surprisingly young people (i.e. under 40) already getting vaccines — is it all people with immunity-compromising conditions or healthcare workers or something else? It's great that lots of people are getting vaccinated, I'm just really confused as to whether the government is still following their 1–9 priority list and whether my immuno-comprimised partner should be getting called in sooner rather than later.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Desperately disappointing his name isn’t Stanley

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

my leaky comrade
new penis nickname found

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Convex posted:

IIRC they had one of these about Charlotte Church next to a handwringing article complaining about the Brass Eye paedophile special
I think this was actually the Daily Star, but yea it was particularly choice

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Extremely powerful normality radiating from this man

https://twitter.com/BernieTranders/status/1363186622355881985?s=20

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

namesake posted:

Well the announcement of the R rate being 1.1 is now scheduled for the end of March so good luck everyone.
Yea they’re 100% going to gently caress it up in exactly the same way yet again, and absolutely nobody is going to be willing to go along with the next lockdown in the middle of summer.

Are they even pretending to have a track & trace system any more, I feel like I haven’t heard anything about that and/or the app in a while; has it all been quietly forgotten?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/Rubberbandits/status/1363674921004650505?s=20

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Kin posted:

Has it basically come down to this country needing a 'popular character' asking these questions instead? Maybe if Michael McIntyre or Ant and Dec were grilling politicians we'd see some societal uproar.
If Jamie Oliver can get Boris to admit he doesn’t like chips we’ll have a new PM inside a week

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

multijoe posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing my friends again, personally
I'm looking forward to feeling 10× as guilty every time I blow off a social event.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

serious gaylord posted:

They're still saying they've got about 500,000 members, however given that you stay on the books for 6+ months when you've stopped paying your direct debit i very much doubt how true that is.
Turns out it’s very easy to get a lot of people in your club if you include people who don’t think they’re members and don’t pay anything for the privilege.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

A warning label that materials may have been obtained through hacking just makes them sound cooler

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1364633998429945856?s=20

Hearty lol if they just scrap the position of mayor rather than letting the Labour right force their preferred candidate in

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Boohoo brexit just hit me personally:

I get these little milk pot things - they're long-life individual creamy milk things (20 little pots for 99p in Home Bargains) that I keep in to add to longlife fruit pot or if I have run out of milk and need to add to coffee in a morning before shopping, or if I am going to be away and don't want to open a new litre packet of milk.

I had a stash in my emergency supplies but I'm now down to the last 4 and have been searching high and low for them in local shops. Just found out they're not currently available because they are made in Dublin :(
I got a big box of these from Costco if you have one available. In fact, the last box of these I got has been sitting in my office desk drawer for nearly a year now so I wonder how that’s going.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There does seem to be an uptick in 'lol look at this' and then posting a video / tweet that is just going to wind up and in some cases hurt people in the thread.

I'm thinking specifically of that twitter anti-mask video that was posted a few pages back, the one that had a guy in a tracksuit in a car park in the thumbnail. I'm not going to click on it. Nobody in their right mind should be clicking on it. If you really, really need to discuss some aspect of it then at least put a paragraph of text underneath explaining why you hate it and exactly what about it you want to stunt on / discuss, eg "This knob thinks that the cotton in masks is turning frogs gay" or whatever.

I mean I am a curious person but there are way too many times I find that curiosity rewarded only with disappointment in humanity, anger at outright lying or feeling abstract threat from videos like the shouty landlord currently doing the rounds.

It ruins my afternoon, but apart from having HSP as part of my Autism profile, I don't have half the reasons others in this thread do to get mad / depressed by some of the right wing hot takes posted without comment.

Suggestion for a new thread rule: If you have to post an insane take that you know is agressively contrary to the thread's moral position, you have to at least post a summary so that nobody else has to waste their time or emotional energy on watching it.
Yea I posted a tweet about Glinner the other day that I immediately regretted and Rumda rightly called me out on; I’m one of the group that got really annoyed by all the Weetman tweets and what I posted was no better.

The toxic negativity of “wow look at this it’s so awful” is rotten and addictive and we’d all do well to try and avoid it IMO

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Isomermaid posted:

The 2012 Olympics opening ceremony was performed by unpaid workers in an arena they bulldozed a housing estate they forcibly evicted, in a capital that was kicking out long term renters to jack the prices to make cash grab Airbnbs for attendees, and the army were putting surface to air missiles on rooftops whether the building owners liked it or not.
so a tribute to Britain on multiple levels

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I get the feeling my latent nationalism is showing by the fact I've spent the last half hour watching videos of Vulcan and Concorde flypasts, but a thought occurred to me while I was watching them about just how *hollow* the nationalism is these days. Both of these are products of a Britain that genuinely did believe it was a world leader (and in fact was in a lot of important ways - neither the Soviets nor the Americans could get their Concorde equivalents to work, but two tinpot ex-imperial powers managed it with a tenth the resources). Tony Benn didn't need to make sure there was always a flag behind him or that he wore his poppy in exactly the right way, he built poo poo like the Post Office Tower and Concorde, and unswervingly defended things like the NHS and the welfare state. He made the country something to be proud of, rather than being performatively proud of it while ripping the plumbing out of the walls.
This cargo-culting of older accomplishments is all over the place once you start to notice it; sometimes the previous achievements were themselves a shallow attempt to copy an even earlier success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

No deal, sausages and beans both need to go