Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I'm registered with a GP near my office and I don't want to update it because it's convenient for work.

Not that I've probably been to the GP in the last 5 years. I assume they still have me on the books because I'll occasionally get a text updating me on the level of service they provide given covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I highly recommend baking your own bread. I stopped for a few years but have started again in lockdown. It's fun, delicious, and significantly easier than you have been led to believe.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Yeah getting bread to prove at the moment is pretty difficult. I'm kind of wondering about putting my next loaf in the airing cupboard or something.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

It's a simplified version of a spanish pastry called hornazo that also has blood sausage and boiled eggs and stuff, traditionally baked to celebrate the return of sex workers to the city of salamanca after they got evicted for lent by the evil bishops

I love poo poo like this that destroys the image of the past of being some morally pure time, rather than a time when people would have a big public party to celebrate loving.

I think the book that really destroyed the image of historical Christian purity for me was Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror where there is a bit about how the clergy were getting pissed off about people only coming to church at christmas an easter in the fourteenth century, which until that point popular culture had led me to believe was a modern sign of our declining morality rather than a consistent theme of history.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Don't the white cliffs of dover look so white because chunks of it are always falling off?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I've only just stopped paying my dues and now I'm going to have to start again in case there's a leadership election.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

has anyone had any luck buying glasses online? My frames are hosed and in an attempt at fixing them I manage to gently caress them even more by getting superglue on the lenses. I've got my prescription but it doesn't have my "pupillary distance" (how close together/far apart my eyes are) and I don't want to go into an opticians if they're even open because the idea of having someone get that close to my face is loving terrifying.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Thanks for all the glasses advice. I've got a massive head so I was genuinely concerned that if I just guessed it I'd end up with a comically small pair of glasses.

I'll get the missus to help me out later, and as my eyes aren't all that bad hopefully we'll get close enough that it shouldn't cause any problems.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

TACD posted:

As an idiot goon myself I take offence to this :mad:

My partner’s workplace sent out an email today asking everybody to please turn off the NHS COVID app on their phones since it keeps telling people they should self-isolate

Like, I can imagine a world where what they say is true but given that their internal procedure for dealing with an infection has been ‘line manager calls infected employee to confirm and then tells the whole office employee is infected’ I don’t believe we live in that world.

I'm be honest I forgot the NHS app was a thing. I wonder what the take up is for it, because I haven't see any adverts or guidance mentioning it recently.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Just realised that we are now going to get a weekend of parish council discourse, with some enormous forehead writing an article attacking the oppressive actions of Jackie Weaver

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

In further government being weirdly competent news apparently they are going to roll back on the privatisation of the NHS

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/06/boris-johnson-planning-nhs-england-overhaul-leaked-paper-shows?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I literally couldn't imagine Kieth proposing this

E: missed that this was already posted because I was on the wrong page.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 6, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Mebh posted:

I just found it amusing that the Jet 2 leaflet I got through my door encouraging me to "book my cheap holiday NOW NOW NOW (terms and conditions apply- lol)"
Has an image on it that could only be interpreted as the UK spreading the plague to everywhere this summer:

This is kier starmers response to "would you press the button"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Right to Silence in England and Wales:

- don't talk to police unless you have been accused of committing a criminal offence. That basically means until you've been charged don't cooperate.
- if you are charged politely but firmly advise that you are not prepared to discuss the charges until you have taken advice from a solicitor.
- be aware that your silence may be used to infer something about your case. However silence alone is not enough to convict you, they need to have other evidence. Also it is the judges discretion to direct the jury to make an inference (however judges are scum so don't rely on then to help you.)
- you are expected to reveal if you have an alibi. You are also expected to explain objects or marks that appear to link you to the crime (example, you have a bloody knife and someone just got stabbed). Failure to do so could infer that you for example were waiting to invent an alibi or trying to explain away the reason for having the murder weapon.
- your right to silence is extremely limited to the point of non-existence if you are charged with serious fraud or terrorism.
- your right to silence does not extend to refusing to give passwords to electronic devices.

Essentially in Britain silence is a gift given to you by the state, and they can find a way to withdraw that gift if they want because this country is poo poo.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

I didn't know this, I thought you could decline to provide a password (hence smarter to use than biometrics), but that's probably from reading American internet.

I'm assuming this is one of the many, many things they've pushed through as 'anti-terrorism', of course.

I mean as the other posters said it involves paperwork so the police will probably just steal it off you anyways, but not providing passwords when requested is a criminal offence of its own under the RIPA.

Which technically means you could be charged and founf innocent of an offence but still go to prison for not providing a password during the course of that investigation. (I doubt this would actually happen but the police and CPS are cunts).

Oh also (I forgot this one) it's a criminal offence not to provide a copper with your name and address of they suspect you of being anti-social.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I always remember the police coming in and telling us not to use temporary tattoos as drug dealers use them to trick kids into getting addicted to LSD.

Just so completely bafflingly bollocks.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

peanut- posted:

We really need some consistency on whether this is TERF Island, Paedo Island or Normal Island.

I thought we were plague island

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

oh noooo the woman I have to deal with at work today is a sov cit

this is going to take forever

I'm assuming it's going to be a remote meeting? Change your background to make it look like a boat and say you're an admiralty court, at that point you are all good as far as I understand it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1362169661140402176?s=19

I can hear the disillusioned voters stampeding back to Labour...

Oh, no, wait. It's a massive fart.

lol he's just so astoundingly fuckign useless.

Like if he was just a piece of poo poo politician he would lie and offer a bunch and then get in and say "unfortunately the tories have hosed it so badly i need to give all the pounds to my mate's consultancy" but he is actually to incompetent to try lying about it first.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Not going to lie, if the CIA offered to fund me mindlessly browsing Wikipedia and Google maps all day as long as I said Putin was bad over in a while I would take that offer. Sounds like a pretty good life.

State funded poster seems like a good gig.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Kieth might actually get labour to lose an election in liverpool. Just loving galaxy brained stuff.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Clive was retweeting some people mocking kieth earlier as well

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Didn't that happen like a month ago and nothing happened because it was just whistling into the wind?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I had been a member of the labour for most of my adult life and it honestly breaks your loving brain. I've stopped paying my dues but every now and I then I'm like "maybe I should stay, maybe this time I can help change for the better". But it never happens because it's a fundamentally broken instruction gummed up with dickheads who base their entire identity off enjoying the west wing and reading the observer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

peanut- posted:

I am really conflicted about the idea of loving up Labour at local elections.

Local elections really matter. Councils aren't deciding on Britain's broad economic approach or the importance of trade unions or the role Britain should play in Europe. They're deciding how your local social care budget is spent. Whether you get bike lanes and more play parks. Whether there's any affordable housing requirement in new developments, whether your library stays open, and if we close all youth clubs in exchange for a £1.50 cut in council tax. How much latitude is given to the psychotic free school that happens to be in a very Tory voting area.

It's poo poo that immediately affects your life and the lives of vulnerable people in your area. I don't want to make where I live more poo poo and cruel to make Kieth understand that I would like corporation tax to increase by 2% actually.

I think you've just got to base it on individual councillors, but from my experience labour people in local government tend to be even pettier shits than the people higher up in the party.

If you've got someone who is genuinely concerned about improving your local area then vote for them, but if you just vote labour based on party you're just as likely to be voting for some landlord who hates proles with a burning passion.