Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kier starmer angrily posting online about idology being as fake as round earth theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Theres no such thing, he screams. Neoliberalism is just a word, and the reason the water doesnt run off is the ring of mountains at the edge.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

The Party of the Working Class in abrupt and some might say, unusual, policy turn.

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1364598580347076611?s=20

hosed up that labour is positioning itself as the party of austerity

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kier screams louder "the left and the right are only illusions as fake as the moon landing. The truth lies in sensible debate and also flags, any flags"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A dark part of me wants labour to lose more vote share but that wont happen. This fucker aint winning an election tho

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

Starmers Labour winning the next election is still more likely than not.

Doubtful unless the snp somehow collapses and scotlab fill the void

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The success of the vaccination program is going to save the tories. Boris continues to poll ahead of kier. I think the likelihood is that labour will regain votes, but lose.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Youre voting for nipples?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

hosed up that tories are now champions of socialosm, you hate to see it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Taxing businesses to pay for covid is actually cool and good, more of this please

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bah, enough of this, m going to gently caress ms potato head

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Labour supporting nukes is ok but id be happier if they supported some RTS tier secret weapon as well.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

We're going to go back and arrest hitler

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

People who want to be in the labour partt and people who want to leave both have fair and valid arguments and I, the namtab, will judge neither for their sins

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Iirc its migrant labour (mainly people from the phillipines amd latin nations) being asked to build stadiums in the desert to a very stringent timeline. Its poo poo that all these big international associations like FIFA and the IOC wind up insanely corrupt but the shittier thing is that im still going to watch and enjoy the world cup because i have no power to change that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Im probably going to also watvh amd enjoy the worlds first plague olympics

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If they had a version of the olympics where all the competitors were champions of nurgle I might watch that.

I got some good news about summer

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Me

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The issue with the nationalism discussion as far as i could tell is that people were arguing two separate points completely past one another.

As a national movement any party that wants political power at the moment has to give a show that it (and nowadays the leader of it in particular) loves this country. Part of the media campaign against corbyn was to give the impression that he didnt care about this country. Kier has attempted to reverse on this, but honestly it all feels stage managed and insincere because of its extremely plastic presentation.

However on a personal level some people are going to feel a lot less blind ties for their local area or nationality than others, people are individuals after all and unfortunately politics isnt something that can be individually person centred.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

And yes, some of the pretense that has to be put on to demonstrate that you love this country is a bit poo poo because its dominated by a culture built on right wing cultural tropes.

Making a big deal about wearing a poppy being the only way to respect the war dead is poo poo. Our national obsession with the idea of the stiff upper lip, respecting the armed forces etc, we've spent the last x years building an idea of loving your country based on nostalgia for a failed empire and of the way things were when Britain was genuinely important. The only thing the left has been able to contribute to the idea of being british is the nhs, and thats mostly because the populace is smart enough to accept that the nhs is a good thing.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

To summarise my point, owlfancier is right that the poo poo politicians have to talk or pretend to care about is stupid and imo an issue with the shift towards a more presidential style of politics where prospective leaders have to humanise themselves. Corbyn's ability to tell ant amd dec apart is irrelevant to his ability to lead the country.

Yet it is important. The majority of voters dont look at politics every day, they dont post in politics threads or listen to the politics podcasts or go to the politics discord. At best they interact with the news once a day, which is at best vaguely centre left and at worst wants to bring back hanging. They barely care about policies in a lot of cases and a good deal of people vote for the red or blue team because they always have, or their family or town normally have. For the swing voter they care if corbyn knows what gogglebox is because that reassures them that hes just a guy like they are.

I put it to this thread that theres a lot of reasons why the tories beat labour, and why johnson continues to poll better than kier, but a big part of the reason is that the public is able to identity more with johnson and thinks he's a guy just like them. Johnson as the clown, the hedonist, the guy with multiple children by different mothers is more interesting, more relatable than corbyn (vegetarian who makes jam and tends allotments for fun) or starmer (literal knight of the realm amd i dont even know what he claims to be into).

E: To answer the question in owlfancier's post - people arent logical, the biggest vote base is in the elderly, people the national nostalgia is aimed at and who vote in greatest numbers

Namtab fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 28, 2021

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think if there were a good left wing candidate id want him to tell as many lies to make boomers happy as possible to get elected even if it means he has to watch tv to do it.

E: ultimately changing things, building the generation without brainrot, needs left wing hands on the levers of power to do

Namtab fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 28, 2021

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Id be very happy to lie to literally every boomer if it meant i could get the private sector out of the nhs and build council homes. The ends woukd justify the means

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

crispix posted:

Corbyn in 2017 came within a whisker of winning the election lol

It would have been great.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

Do you think that if Corbyn had been able to tell Ant & Dec apart or had watched Gogglebox or whatever that the papers would've been "oh wow, this guy passes all our tests I guess you should elect him" lol

I think, or at least i hope, you know that theres a little bit more nuance to my point than that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

crispix posted:

if the election had been a week or two later labour would have won, you can win an election without pandering to thick bastards for whom britan grate is priority 1

We have no objective way of knowing or measuring that because the real world point is that the election was held on the day it was held and abour lost it. Id like to think that he would have won with more time, but he may not have.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Grenfell tower burned down six days after the election, which I think may have altered the trajectory of the polling, somewhat, but probably not in May's favour.

Yeah I forgot that too. Labour really could have won it two weeks later.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fans of the discord will know that i call him Tier nowadays. Post in the discord to see this in action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Probably the tomatoes