Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

suck my woke dick posted:

On one hand lol the UK hosed itself so hard
On the same hand lol the fashion industry dies it's poo poo anyway

On the same hand again lol the UK fishing industry is dying after voting to shoot itself in the head

There is no other hand because Brexit loving various bunches of insufferable twats is extremely funny

Yeah except whole industries going under isn't actually good at all and fucks thousands of perfectly nice people over monumentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was chatting with the missus last night and it came to me that "lardon" could be the perfect non-insult - it implies that someone is fat, a dick, and a gammon all in one word, but is ultimately just an innocuous pork product

The fat acceptance people will not be happy. (Not that I don’t think fat people deserve acceptance, but I have to say that movement does annoy me quite a lot as in the vast majority of cases you can indeed lose weight through effort and willpower and probably should for your health, and convincing people otherwise is hosed up).

I’d keep saying oval office, just not around your girlfriend. How does she feel about twat, oval office’s cheeky little brother?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mebh posted:

There's so many more creative ways to refer to them. Fucktrumpets, poo poo pouches etc etc.

Because as soon as someone uses one of these incredibly annoying constructions (swear word+innocent word), I and anyone else who isn't a wanker thinks far less of them.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
A lot of the time if you refuse the caution they'll just let you go scott free, because they know that the CPS would piss themselves at the idea of charging you. As always, get a solicitor for any planned interaction with the police if you at all can, and take their advice.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Being a dick about people wanting to go on holiday after a year of lockdown misery isn't as good a take as most of this thread seem to think. God forbid people should be asking whether they might be able to go and do something enjoyable to blow off some steam in the near future.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I can't blame anyone for being desperate to get away from this hellhole. But it's loving irresponsible & selfish. We'd not be enduring lockdown misery last year if people loving behaved themselves last year (combined with a government who cared more about dealing with the pandemic than keeping Wetherspoons open). It's infuriating. So loving what if it's "not a good take", I'm angry. I want to be able to go to gigs again. I want to just be able to walk into a record store & browse their vinyl. I want to be able to sit on a bus that has its windows closed in February.

Yeah, same, and doing any of those things right now but also be irresponsible and selfish, but wanting to do them and asking when you can plan to do them isn't. No one in this thread is any better than someone who's looking forward to going away for a bit just because they're looking forward to doing more local things. The way some people are about the whole wanting a holiday thing, you'd think that going abroad on holiday (yes, even to party and drink and sit by a pool, perish the thought!!!) was a moral defect even outside outside of the pandemic.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Running to the filth is bad and any leftist who does it should feel ashamed IMO

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't been on holiday since I was like, fifteen, I'm sure people can manage without spreading the plague for a year or two.

Well I haven't left my bedroom since I was 3 months old, check mate :smug:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Also, although you're all saying how a doctor especially shouldn't go away or break the rules, have you considered that perhaps they're 10x more stressed out by this whole pandemic than most of us and might therefore be more inclined to take additional measures to relieve that stress?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Dakha posted:

(Edit: this was addressed to XMNN) I’m not sure that covid to zero minimises lockdown harm though, quite the opposite?

Whether lockdown harm is a reasonable trade off vs covid harm is a different (and totally reasonable) question though. Sounds like you’re saying you’d accept any amount of lockdown pain over a single additional covid death?

Myself I’m in favour of a more balanced approach, e.g. let’s get a bit further down the list then consider opening up. I have a friend with MS who isn’t eligible for another couple of categories, I hope we don’t open up before they are protected. But I’m encouraged by the numbers coming out of Israel, sounds like maybe the NHS could handle some amount of covid if the majority of the population are safe. It’s how we live our lives with winter flu etc right?

I'm almost passed the point of caring personally, it's been a year and I'm just pretty loving sick of it all. I'd agree that we should start opening in a measured way once the most vulnerable are fully vaccinated, though, pending more data on long COVID. The thread does come off as a bit 'one COVID death is unacceptable and we must be in permanent lockdown until not a single bit of COVID exists in the world', I gotta admit.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Given that we are not getting to a point when COVID is eliminated entirely any time soon, when do perma-lockdown goons want to start looking at opening up? Like honestly quite a few of you seem to be perfectly happy and find ridiculous the idea that anyone might at some point in the near future want to resume something like normal life. And yes, sorry to say it, but the vast majority of people including me understand that opening up will mean some deaths that wouldn’t happen if we stayed in lockdown until next year. To the vast majority that’s a price worth paying. I’m not saying open up now obviously, but there comes a point when you have to and the fact that that means that some people will die is just the nature of viruses.

Seriously, if you don’t want to open up when the vast majority of the adult population is vaccinated, when do you want to open up? You can’t say ‘when there’s no COVID’ at this point either - that would have been smart at the start or even up til a few months ago but now that would take us through to May at the earliest, and COVID isn’t going away from the world. Ever. And we can’t quarantine new arrivals indefinitely or close borders indefinitely given that we’re the second largest travel hub in Europe, if not the largest. So we get to say, June, there’s zero covid(which I’m honestly doubtful is possible at this point particularly given the Tories), then what? Indefinite arrival quarantine?

As a lot of people were saying at the start of this, it’ll eventually become like the flu. A manageable death toll of X thousand per year. That’s the reality of it and indefinitely locking down anyway is pointless and ultimately detrimental unless you’re a goon who doesn’t go outside anyway.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

Maybe I'm misreading but are you saying you'd rather people die needlessly than lockdown til May as part of a zero covid thing?

No, I'm saying that a zero COVID thing isn't going to happen, and we'd last all of five minutes after lockdown ended with zero COVID. If I thought that the government would ever actually do the testing at airports thing with a good test and trace I'd be totally down for it. What I'm against, and what I feel a lot of the thread is arguing for, is locking down pretty much without end in the name of zero-COVID permanently.

I'm not saying anyone should be 'okay with dying'. Let's boil it down to a binary choice: we stay in lockdown literally forever and not one single person more (after like June or whatever) dies of COVID, or we open up at some point, with great test and trace, a fully vaccinated population and airport quarantine and all that good poo poo. By choosing the second option, or literally any other option than the first, you're going to kill people. I'd wager you'd still not pick the first one though.

I also don't see how this applies to other Tory policies even remotely. More generous and humane welfare, a properly funded health system, etc. aren't about a balance of risks - they're about doing the thing that objectively benefits everyone except a tiny tiny mega wealthy minority. Lockdown on the other hand is massively detrimental to literally everyone but does save lives. There does come a point when the lives saved aren't worth everyone else's quality of life. That point for all of us is much much further along than it is for your average right wing ghoul, but that point does exist and I think many in the thread are wilfully remaining blind to that reality. You can only say that isn't the case, as supervillain as it sounds when you write it in such stark terms, if you agree we should all take an enormous quality of life hit permanently whether it's one life saved per year or 120000.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

namesake posted:

I think a sufficiently organised and powerful group capable of making demands can get an effective zero covid strategy implemented either by forcing the government to do so or taking sufficient power from the government to do so itself. Once that's in place people won't have to be in a stay at home lockdown except in local short term cases.

If your position is that the government is unstoppable and evil/incompetent then you're actively detrimental to people trying to make things better and should stop talking.

No, I'd totally go for this, but a sufficiently organised and powerful group doesn't exist, and I don't think we shouldn't be able to discuss the world outside of zero COVID, an unbelievably unlikely strategy, without people saying 'yeah but zero COVID' constantly.

Also agree with crispix that this a good time to revise how we do things.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

very cool that being afraid to die of a deadly virus that you are susceptible to is now "actually goons just like to stay indoors all day thats why they want the lockdown!!!!!"

Yes because I'm exclusively or indeed at all talking about people who are susceptible.

E: And if you aren't picking up on the strong 'well I would happily stay inside forever unlike those selfish bastards who want to eventually go back to -scoffs- their PACKAGE HOLIDAYS and, eugh, CINEMAs' vibe then I just dunno what to say.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i am susceptible, do you think that people like me's lives are worth risking so you can go on your holidays? is there a specific number you're willing to give up to go back to normal?

hell, at that point why bother locking down in the first place? if we're never gona get to zero covid then those who died simply should've been built different and some people are going to die regardless and god forbid we stop being a travel hub.

Let me turn that around. Do you think that no one should ever be able to go on holiday again, or go to a pub again, so that your risk doesn't increase at all? Let me be clear that I'm not arguing against zero COVID or continuing lockdown for a good few months longer - I'm arguing against the thread idea that no increase in risk at all is acceptable to allow people to return to normal.

E: I also find the idea that lockdown isn't killing people and doesn't carry it's own risks pretty annoying cos my dad killed himself during lockdown.

E2: In what world am I arguing for a situation where hundreds of thousands more people die?? I'm saying that there should be a balance of risks and discussion around that outside of 'lockdown until there are literally no more deaths of COVID ever and even one is unacceptable' is actually fine and healthy.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 13, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Scikar posted:

I don't accept for one second that the situation boils down to this binary choice. A working quarantine system and functional test and trace are why Taiwan and New Zealand are still at single figures for covid deaths IIRC, life is essentially back to normal for folk living in this countries. I don't see any reason why the UK could not do the same once this wave is beaten.

Except for the fact that there is zero political will to do so. I absolutely agree that this is exactly what we should do. But we aren't going to. And discussing things within thos parameters doesn't make you some Mengelian monster.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Maybe I've gotten a little carried away defending my point here. I do fully support Zero Covid as a strategy and fair play to the people working on that campaign. I've actually done a bit of copy writing for it myself. I think it just gets my goat to see some goons absolutely demonise people who, without any ill will in the world, are hopeful that the vaccine might allow them to get back to their lives. Hell, most people won't even have heard of a zero Covid strategy. Wondering if you might be able to go on holiday or to the pub this year doesn't make you some awful selfish elite bastard who doesn't care about other people. I think that's what got to me. Apologies to any goons who are susceptible, I didn't mean to imply you're disposable.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 13, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Oh get hosed you holier than thou prick

^^ I'm not going to sniff out every post that's scoffed at people wanting to go back to their 'cineworld' and 'package holidays' for you. Being mad at opening up too early is fair, turning your nose up at people asking when it might be okay to go out again isn't, especially when most of them people aren't as happy to sit in front of a screen reading a dead comedy forum all day. I'm living with a 9 year old who can barely stop crying right now, so excuse me if I'm not too keen on people who are just buzzing about getting to stay in and everyone having to do what they do all the time now. Owly and crispix being the main offenders if you want names.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 13, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah sadly this is true.

Like, honestly the only thing I still wanna do on this wretched planet is see a little more of it before I die in the hunger games of 2034, but I know in my heart of hearts I can't justify it to myself. It makes me really sad

You not going on holiday isn't going to do poo poo - it's systemic issues that are killing the planet. Fulfil your dream, you only get one life and you won't feel any better if the world burns for having deprived yourself of the one thing you want to do more than anything.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Definitely try and travel via the surface of the planet more if possible like, for all the reasons stated. Just don't severely hamper your dreams and life experiences on the off chance it might delay the apocalypse by a millionth of a second.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

crispix posted:

I have long wanted to force all cruise ships to be renamed The Diarrhea Princess and for those who still go on them to be put on a list, sort of like the sex offenders' register but for grossly thoughtless people instead

calm yourself down mate, i was just saying it's a good thing to remember that there are people out there experiencing worse

i'm the sort of person who is grateful for what i have, i suppose, like being able to sleep in a warm bed and not having to worry about seeing my loved ones getting their heads chopped off in the street

no matter how hard i try i can never commit the correct spelling of diarrhea to memory and i have to google it quite often and sometimes i wonder if their algorithm has me pegged (lol) as having a bowel problem

I'm with therattle here, your 'I don't like doing stuff and people who do are stupid babies' schtick is unbelievably grating.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

crispix posted:

by way of reconciliation as i seem to have pissed off some people today i will share with you all some photographs that i took (using the camera built into my mobile-telephone) on my walk today. i hope that those of you who did not get to have a lovely walk today will get some enjoyment from seeing photographs taken during my lovely walk on your computer screen/monitor/Visual Display Unit there

https://imgur.com/a/ydcw2Ma

I enjoyed your photos and their captions. Sorry my temper got a bit frayed, you’re a good person and a Good Poster and I hope you post more pictures :)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
You should all read Shoshanna Zuboff’s ‘The Age of Surveillance Capitalism’. It has a part about PG. The people behind it openly admit that it’s an advanced data gathering and behaviour manipulation experiment. A sort of proof of concept of sorts for a more advanced location and movement pattern based advertising and behaviour manipulation model.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

TheRat posted:

Dont talk to the police

And if you absolutely have to, do it with a good solicitor present, not the duty solicitor.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
William Hague looked like exactly the sort of kid to drink 18 pints on a night out and be a huge mess no one could be hosed with, then refuse to even do any cocaine to sober up like a good sport

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I mean as the other posters said it involves paperwork so the police will probably just steal it off you anyways, but not providing passwords when requested is a criminal offence of its own under the RIPA.

Which technically means you could be charged and founf innocent of an offence but still go to prison for not providing a password during the course of that investigation. (I doubt this would actually happen but the police and CPS are cunts).

Oh also (I forgot this one) it's a criminal offence not to provide a copper with your name and address of they suspect you of being anti-social.

Bear in mind that this is specifically under the circumstances of a written, court granted RIPA order, NOT just a formal request even if that request is in writing. I was once arrested with a bunch of other people and at the vail date, which the solicitor didn’t deem it necessary to be present for, they separately waved in our faces ‘formal requests’ to unlock the phones they’d previously seized. A bunch of people did, mistaking it for a RIPA notice, and when I quizzed them they even said at first that it was a RIPA notice. I decided to actually read the thing first though and it was quite clearly not, so after some back and forth and getting confirmation that refusing to sign and refusing to hand over my password was not an offence at this moment, I told them to get hosed.

They never actually got a RIPA notice and I mercilessly ribbed my comrades for allowing the filth to trick them so easily

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
If anyone's making a decision about whether to give comment or not themselves, they're already doing it wrong. If you're ever in a position to be arrested (literally any given protest, you just never know), you should know the name of your solicitor and ideally have a card with their number on/write it on your arm.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

TheRat posted:

I feel like the police would definitely take this as evidence you were there to cause harm

I've never seen this happen. They might try and say that to scare you, but this is pretty common practice. It'd certainly never stand up in court or cause you to be charged.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Technically your arm can be taken off you too but at that point you have bigger problems

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
If you thought that Labour could have won with a remain/second vote stance then it's reasonable to defend that, but if, as CoolCab believed and turned out to be true, that those policies would torpedo Labour then continuing to defend them as the right thing seems like a Bad Idea. It doesn't matter if you're right if you lose. It doesn't matter if you win if you're wrong. You have to be right and win to make a positive difference, but you might not be able to be right about everything. I'd argue the EU is one of the those issues that Labour could be 'wrong' on and go full 'better Brexit' because it isn't anywhere near as important as the raft of issues they're far more right on.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jose posted:

I skip posts here all the time

Mods!!!!

It was a needlessly hostile way to deal with it by Rumda when it’s clear Jose didn’t even know but let’s cut Rumda some slack - trans people get a poo poo deal so let’s not pile on.

E: do you consider accidental misgendering, when the person literally didn’t know that the person had recently switched pronouns, to be a micro aggression? I feel that’s a little harsh.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't that literally the definition of microaggression where you do something small and likely unintentional that nonetheless contributes to an unpleasant atmosphere?

Yeah, but I assumed that required it being literally possible for the person to do otherwise. Sorry I’m not calling for people to have psychic knowledge/an hourly updated ledger of every famous person they might talk about’s pronouns.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Rumda posted:

When makes it especially lovely is to keep treating it like it was hostile when even the person who it was directed to has apologised for thinking it was

Well i apologise for that too then.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Rumda posted:

As Space Invader said not necessarily, however misgendering someone and then people not even involved acting pissy when it is pointed out is both transphobic, enbyphobic and just lovely.

Like I said, I apologise for sticking my nose in.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Honey, stilton, walnuts and figs make an excellent salad.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I feel like it needs to be constantly said, but "classic" burger buns taste like absolute bland poo poo and fall apart the instant they make contact with burg. Brioche actually tastes nice and has structural integrity to survive the whole burg experience.

A big floury bap is also acceptable

Classic buns are good for very neat, tidy burgers which absolutely have their place. Anything even a bit sloppy tho requires reall bread integrity. Brioche is lovely. I also enjoy a toasted muffin burger as a between meals snack.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Oh yeah, how’s your paramilitary training going?

How's your doing gently caress all and whining about it on a forum going?

(I know I did some of this myself regarding Zero Covid recently - sorry about that, I do also do other stuff too, promise)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
If current trajectories continue we might all find ourselves canvassing for the loving Tories at this rate

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I feel like there's enough good music out there that you don't have to listen to the Nazi stuff, even if you have plausible deniability.

Before someone says "what about Wagner then?" - yeah that poo poo sucks

It is Vaaaagner Louie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

namesake posted:

A way of taking the heat out of the 'should socialists be in Labour' argument is to consider the theory of the state and the strategic consequences of it (any socialists arguing for independence also need to consider these things). The state is, regardless of the individual variations across space and time, the apparent co-ordinating body of the ruling class. Laws and customs are made and obeyed (to some extent) by it and disputes between the ruling class are concluded within it through its internal power structures, unless they find they cannot resolve it and then state finds itself illegitimate as violence, civil war and separatism break out. Does power come FROM the state though? No, it does not. The ruling class is created by their relationship to (usually control of) the economic forces in society which grants them the power to use as they wish and therefore the need to have a co-ordinating body such as the state - otherwise the sections of the ruling class would simply find themselves in open conflict with each other (as they do when a state collapses from other pressures).

This co-ordinating function is the inherent reason for the state and, as even the ruling class in all its power is still shaped by the economic structure of the class society it rules, then ruling parties in a state find themselves disciplined and directed by this co-ordinating function. A non-revolutionary approach to taking state power can only take the currently existing structures and then battle with them internally, sometimes it may create some change in the procedures it had to obey before, sometimes it will lose and be forced to change its own ideology to fit. It can also only change the shape of the state through this struggle, not the society at large. This does not matter for the sections of the ruling class which hold state power as the society at large is already partially approving of their existence and will reinforce them through merely continuing to exist but is a serious and permanent opposition to any non-ruling class entity which holds that same power. A reformist socialist party taking power in a liberal bourgeois state will find itself battered through the mere process of having gotten that power and then find whatever socialism it still holds under attack from the rest of the state structure and from society at large.

Consider our history. Our parliamentary system was founded on giving sway to the landed gentry, the monarchy and the church - explicitly the ruling class. Over time there has been an increase in the franchise but little change to any other part of it. Why would anyone think that merely getting the final rubber stamp approval for a candidate in a seat to change any of the core dynamics of state power? The Labour Party has a history of acting in the interests of UK capitalism above all else, even during it's 'socialist' period, because once it takes the reigns of the British state it operates tools designed to help the ruling class maintain itself. It is inherent to the nature of the bourgeois state and that cannot be changed by running a successful electoral campaign within bourgeois liberal rules.

The key to change is power - being able to write the rules is nice but what matters is the ability to enforce the rules or to ignore them as you wish. State power claims to offer all three but that is not the case, it has a fixed function in capitalist society and that cannot be altered from within. Creating, holding and wielding power externally to the state is the core driver of change. That task certainly can be aided by having state power change certain laws which are obvious impediments to power, for example, but state power alone isn't enough.

With that in mind, considering our current situation and the balance of class forces in the UK right now - does taking control of the Labour Party matter?

This is a highly legit post and something that every single leftist should be aware of, and indeed many are. I'd add two things, however.

1. The state and capital are inexorably intertwined, but a struggle that focuses solely on changing the deeper fabric of society, or changing society through changes to that fabric or extra to the mechanisms typical to the society will quickly exhaust its participants. It'll also suffer from limited success (more on that in point 2) and ultimately fail to engage enough people to sustain itself. I'm talking about things forms of direct action and mutual aid that circumvent the state, charity, and typical 'socially accepted' methods of protest and provision entirely - they are essential but cannot exist alone because not everyone is equipped or prepared to engage with them, and those who do engage with them rarely have the resources (or indeed the mentality a lot of the time, to be honest) to make them more accessible to more people. That's why, if we take food insecurity, we need people to campaign both within the bounds of the state (to improve government policy), with the permission of the state (through charity and the like), and entirely outside of state permission (mutual aid centres/networks, which often utilise sources of food and modes of provision and engagement that charities and the state, operating under the law, with all its various needs for things like insurance, cannot). Any shortfall for the left in any of these areas will result in people being missed and a narrowing of options for help. The state can reach the most people, but it doesn't reach everyone and often deliberately excludes people. Charity reaches others but is often co-opted by the state, fails to act in a spirit of solidarity, can be exclusionary, and has many other issues. Grassroots, outside-the-system provision is arduous to set up and maintain but can work wonders in a way that none of the above can, while also creating and exhibiting the alternatives to the current system we all want. Action at every level is important even from a simple 'helping as many people right now' perspective.

2. On a more strategic level, from experience in a wide variety of activist circles and a huge preference for outside-the-system, steering-clear-of-the-state stuff, I've come to think that none of the super grassroots 'revolutionary' stuff can operate sustainably without people at a state level creating a playing field that allows it to happen. Creating revolutionary solutions is essential but the state has such power in the 21st century that it can effectively shut down that form of organising. Take squatting for example. Some of the best examples of revolutionary praxis I've ever seen or been part of in the UK have been squatted social centres - squatted buildings run as social centres to provide mutual aid, food, activities, and space for people (not just activists) to use as they and the people who use the space see fit. Over the years it's become increasingly difficult to set one of these up. First residential squatting became illegal, and now they're about to pass a bill to make trespass a proper crime, effectively outlawing squatting. If the revolutionary left had more power, and more connections, and more individuals in power acting with sympathy towards it, that might now have happened, and those few laws dealing with just one activity could well have stamped out potentially hundreds of incredible projects over the last few years. Labour may not be the path to the ultimate goal of the end of capitalism, but some form of parliamentary power is an essential piece of it - a left wing Labour, even a somewhat left-wing Labour, would very likely not have made those changes. On the sharper end of things, facial recognition tech and increasingly draconian protest law have massively blunted protest - storming the Bastille would have been a much dicier prospect with far fewer people willing to join in if facial recognition and a very baton-happy police force who like battering in doors and have excellent record keeping and little care for privacy had been around. The point I'm making is that abandoning parliamentary politics entirely means those who don't abandon it, the right and the centre, now have free reign to make the left's life a loving nightmare. And they are doing that right now.

I hope that's made sense, anyway. Essentially I agree with namesake but we do need to have at least some level of sympathy at the top, an amount to stop them ruthlessly cracking down on every single one of our tactics while killing and exhausting fellow members of the working class.