Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I got jabbed with Pfizer on Friday, wife's getting hers on Saturday.

SHoulder is stilla tiny bit tender, but the worst of the side effects were doen by sunday and they weren't bad.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Can't believe nobody's posted this classic yet tonight

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

TBF if dril was posted every time it would be appropriate the thread would be nothing but dril tweets.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

crazyvanman posted:

For ultimate boomer energy can we have a Channel 5 'Top 100 Captain Tom moments', complete with B list celebrities (Justin-Lee Collins I'm looking at you) needlessly plugging in with their takes on Captain Tom's 100 moments.

I haven't owned a TV for 10 years so I have no idea if these things still exist.

Search your feelings, you know they do.

PM Confirms national clap?

Well yes, this nation is horribly diseased, he's not wrong.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm assuming it's a very good time to renew a mortgage to a new fixed rate if it's about to go to variable. I need to do that soon.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Why do they talk about a "EU ban" like something materially changed from the EU side? It's just a mechanistic consequence of a change in the UK's status.

Maybe those fishers should retrain to, idk, Cyber. Become phishers instead.

Propaganda is why.

They know it's horseshit, they HAVE to at this point.

But they can make people here believe it's true, and that's the important part.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Entertainment industry bigwigs, particularly liberal gay ones who like name-dropping. Stephen Fry and Sandi Toksvig.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

sebzilla posted:

https://youtu.be/Xnh8pLKXJB4

Starmer is "apolitical" and has been calculating his path to the top job for years, according to Sienna Rodgers

the amount of absurd prvilege it takes to be LEADER OF A POLITICAL PARTY and consider yourself apolitical

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kin posted:

Those 3 guys from the last leg were also laying into Corbyn unchecked IIRC.

I often wonder if most of these comedians are just trying to be apolitical and popular and as a result repeat whatever bollocks is popularly trending (like laying into Corbyn) to stay relevant.

I thought it was kind of taking the piss on that show as they generally imply they're well read or researched on subjects.

Watching TLL was like watching the liberalisation of popular comedians in speedrun mode it was so loving frustrating. They started out this slightly angry, slightly edgy take on disability and how to understand and work with disabled people without being an ableist prick, went through being vaguely lefty and into pure truth-in-the-middle over the course of about 4 years. I used to love it, and my wife and I were actually in the audience for the episode before we got married, it was a treat a friend of hers who's a friend of Hills' arranged. Tracking down Hunt and giving him a dick of the year award was a pretty peak moment, as was chasing Trump out of his own gold course with a euphonium. But then it got to like... 2015/16is, Corbyn came on one and was wonderful, then lost the election and they had either two or three different Johnsons and Jessflaps and Chuka or something on in quick succession and just started 'well maybe the answer is somewhere in between the Lab right and the Tory left'ing incredibly hard and I honestly stormed out of the room several times before giving up altogether. Same with Mock the Week, albeit much more slowly. It's amazing, with that one, how hard it was to notice just how much Hugh Dennis's impression bit in particular stopped being about the Royals almost every time, and started being goofing on Corbyn almost every time.

Adam Hills is a lovely guy, personally. My wife and I have met him like... 3 or 4 times now, and he's chill and kind and nice.

But it's a pretty clear example of how fame almost inevitably turns you lib - because you get substantially richers very quickly, and you start hanging out with all these media types who are all lib as gently caress, and you forget what youre supposed to be about because they are all telling you you should and nobody's telling you you shouldn't.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I wonder what it is that prevents certain celebs from going down that route though. As mentioned Stuart Lee still seems OK based on the last 2 interviews I heard (Owen Jones and Adam Buxton's podcasts), and Alexei Sayle is still absolutely on the right side of everything.

Neither of those people are famous even on the level of The Last Leg or Mock the Week, though.

Proably BECAUSE they refused to conform, at least in part.

You either fall into obscurity a hero, or stay famous long enough to become a villain.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wait Ken Loach is 'controversial'?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

crispix posted:

i think covid is a levelling event the like of which is unprecedented in our lifetimes

lol COVID just worsened the inequality by more than 3 trillion dollars, and exposed the fact that there's one rule for the rich and another for the rest, but people are just going along with it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah Boris's big project obsessions are twofold: one is that he likes to have a bombastic big cool project to waffle vaguely and enthusiastically about.

The other is corruption.

He's just realised that when he's PM he doesn't need the former because he doesn't have to do the after-dinner-speaker circuit any more.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

Does changing your pronouns to they them make you trans?

Genuine question I wouldn't have thought of someone who just asks to be called that as trans
Are all NB people considered trans not cis?

This is kind of a complicated question, given that trans is a label that some enbies choose to use and some don't, but arguably...

Yes. Cis means 'the same as' - in this context, that the gender you identify as, is the same as the sex you were assigned at birth. Trans is the opposite, meaning you identify differently from the sex you were assigned as birth.

Since people aren't assigned non-binary at birth, non-binary people fall under the trans umbrella, and may choose to identify with that.

Or they might choose not to for a wide range of reasons, which is also fine.

Me, I'm still not entirely comfortable with calling myself trans. I'm non-binary, but I still identify more with my assigned birth sex than with any other - albeit, I no longer identify with it fully, completely, or all the time (and on reflection, never really did), and I'm drifting more and more to a neutral space as I examine the question more.

But trans isn't how I'd identify myself in the first instance if asked.

Changing your pronouns in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean you're non-binary, though. I know some cis people who are happy to go by they/them pronouns. They're not particularly common, though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jedit posted:

No disrespect to your personal perspective, which is more informed than mine, but I thought the point of NB was that you didn't identify as any gender? As such, then logically you would be neither cis nor trans because those things are also an aspect of the gender binary.

Non binariness is many things, and covers a wide range of genders and absences thereof. In some cases it can mean not experiencing gender at all (which some would call being agender) l in some cases it can be being one gender some days, and a different one other days (genderfluidity), in some cases it can being one gender... mostly, but not completely (nonbinary man/nonbinary woman, demigender)... there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio. For some people enby is a gender all its own. For some non-binary is a supercategory. For some it's a spectrum. None of them are wrong.

Not to mention, for me personally, i'm still exploring a lot of this, and the more I do, the further I feel like I'm drifting from my assigned sex. So, non-binary man still feels like it fits for now, but in a year? I might have developed my understanding of myself further, and that might change.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Is Mx a gender neutral (which I guess as the poster above said, isn't actually neutral) version of Mr or Ms?
I haven't run into that, that's interesting.

Really what we could do with is a unified Ms/Mrs where you don't get people mad for not knowing if theyr married or not

E in '97 the greatest election victory ever was won and the UK and Labour lived happily ever after

Mx is in theory a gender neural version, but as Rumda notes, gender neutral things can be used to hurt people even when they're designed to help, if those people don't want to be gender neutral.

Personally I wish we could have a gender neutral honorific. Or stop bothering with them at all. Being called 'Mr Invader' doesn't bother me, but being called 'sir' puts just a little hitch in my day sometimes that it didn't used to.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

lol at the idea that they need to weasel, they just ignore it, secure in the knowledge that they will face no meaningful consequences.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

So, how is this going to benefit BTL landlords and not first time live-in buyers, and how long will it take us to find out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The plate, because it'll be all that's left in a solid 5 minutes of scarfing.

(and the mushrooms and tomatoes)