Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

blunt posted:

Kier's busy talking less, smiling more.

He's making more but enjoying it less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/northern-ireland-ports-brexit-eu-loyalists-b1796317.html

So yeah this isn't good news.
But hey, spirit that is the envy of the world, right?

gently caress whoever created that abbreviated headline for the URL with a splintered broomstick.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

peanut- posted:

A month in and they realise this is exactly the disaster they were warned about over and over again. Now they’re desperate to jump all over the vaccine import stuff to prove it’s the EU’s fault.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1356867587406241793?s=20

"I poo poo the bed! You should really change the sheets."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Archaeology Hat posted:

Which is mystifying as lovely tory dads can just vote tory.

And do, and will. If you thought that they wanted to lose one more election so they could go full on with saying Corbyn had "tainted the Labour brand" and so all lefties had to be expelled... I wouldn't say you were being paranoid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Has Dacre been confirmed yet?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Wouldn't it be nice if all these shitbags who go on about Stalinism actually got sent to Gulags

Wouldn't it be nice if any of the people "persecuting" the shitbags were even vaguely left wing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

It really does feel that for a lot of people in charge teh 90's never stopped. It's just the same old people in charge and refusing to change or grow in any way.

More like the 80s. The wets have been purged or brought to heel, Maastricht is just a piece of paper, and there's more snow inside the front bench's houses than outside.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

I'm glad to see the British Fox News is set to have the original's dedication to sensible chart axes

They've always been dedicated to the axis.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's interesting how "they" always use the sharp, pointy word 'axis' to refer to whichever forces "we" are aligned against and the cuddly, friendly word 'coalition' for whichever loose alliance "we" are currently aligned in. It's quite interesting to reword propaganda exchanging 'coalition' for 'axis'.

They're just trying to remind people of World War II. But in that war it was the Axis themselves who coined the name; Mussolini (possibly cribbing from the premier of Hungary) declared that Rome and Berlin would form the new axis of power around which Europe would turn.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

I didnt expect Baddiel to just come out and say being left wing and Jewish is antisemitic.

https://twitter.com/TKispeter/status/1358242701649534979?s=19

No, he's saying that left wing Jews are apostates, which is much worse.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

multijoe posted:

He's a hard right ex-Labour MP too, if such a thing can be believed

It can't be believed often enough.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sinky posted:

Yes, right-wing extremists make up almost a fifth of terrorists in jail but did you know that the left wing is getting a bit antisocial???

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1358573504275378178?s=20

I've got no problem with the right wing and the left wing both being investigated as long as the conclusions are honestly reported. Then nobody can say it was a partisan project.

(Yes, I am aware that the conclusions will be reported as "there are a few bad apples on the right, yes, but the toxic legacy of Jeremy Corbyn continues to taint the fascist left".)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Camrath posted:

I will be restocked with Toblerone on Friday, plus several other flavours :)

Unlike say, Sony, I recognise when my customers are screaming for more and up production.

New flavour confirmed: Phudgestation 5.

E: shame it's not a Sega, you could dye it blue and call it Sonic the Fudgehog.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They've learned how to use dog whistles. Jewish paper calls him controversial -> left-wing -> Corbyn -> antisemitism.

Oh, you don't need to stretch that far. Loach is pro-Palestine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

This is implying he's going to stay single for most of his life too.

Well, that goes without saying really.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Unkempt posted:

I wish Ken Loach made superhero films to be honest. I've always though he could have made a cracking 'Watchmen'.

https://youtu.be/mJp6tBoa9JI

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Looks chaps, I know we absolutely hosed it last year and are now standing astride 100k+ graves...but what if, what if...we just carried on and changed nothing."
"Oh bravo, excellent!"

Why are you ascribing such levels of competence to the Tories? They're not wanting to carry on with nothing changed; they want to make things worse.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

"can you imagine an all white line up with an all white jury and presented by a white person? No I can't either."

I'm sure that you can Greg.

Only if they start referring to the black person present as "the defendant" instead of "the contestant".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Within a minute, and completely unasked, she had written me out a prescription for ibuprofen! I said "I don't need a prescription for that!" (35p a box from Home Bargains). "Oh" she said "that's the sort of patient we like". (Mostly my leg problems have abated and so long as I got for a 2-3 mile walk most days and have a couple of exercises to do, when there is pain, it's very manageable now.)

I hadn't asked for the prescription, she just wrote it! How many more prescriptions are getting dished out unasked for and I don't know how much ibuprofen costs the NHS!

Next to nothing. Also when the NHS prescribe ibuprofen it's usually 500mg tablets, when the strongest you can get off the shelf is 400mg.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Convex posted:

Amusingly my first lesson in "don't trust the police" was at primary school when a policeman came in, in uniform, to give us a talk. The head introduced him, then he said he'd bought sweets in for everyone, so we all rushed in to grab some. He then stopped us and said that we shouldn't take sweets from someone we didn't know.

Thanks, 80s policeman.

This is all reminding me of the famous Bash quote about the cop passing three joints around the classroom to show students what they looked like, saying "and I'd better get all of them back", and getting four joints back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Spangly A posted:

Police strikes in the US reduce the crime rate; it's not a hard position to take once you have that information.

Is that not like saying "if census takers go on strike it will reduce the population"?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TACD posted:

Britain as one of those jelly enemies that splits into two smaller enemies when you kill it is a very good metaphor. They’re boring, generic, and while quite annoying usually not so dangerous that you have to take them seriously.

Tories doing their best to make the UK split into smaller enemies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CoolCab posted:

e: follow back poison chalice

"Poisoned ewer" was right there, man.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CoolCab posted:

wait gently caress you're kidding? god loving drat it really?

Warren Ellis was a massive piece of poo poo long before the sex pest stuff came out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The hell does that even mean?

It means that the headbangers are agitating because we didn't get No Deal and so their shorts aren't fully paying out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ https://twitter.com/McfeeFanny/status/1362166165955575810?s=20

Necrothatcher posted:

I've been a massive Grant Morrison fan for like 20 years and had absolutely no idea that they preferred they/them pronouns.

Morrison only came out as enby last November.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 18, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

This is kind of a complicated question, given that trans is a label that some enbies choose to use and some don't, but arguably...

Yes. Cis means 'the same as' - in this context, that the gender you identify as, is the same as the sex you were assigned at birth. Trans is the opposite, meaning you identify differently from the sex you were assigned as birth.

Since people aren't assigned non-binary at birth, non-binary people fall under the trans umbrella, and may choose to identify with that.

No disrespect to your personal perspective, which is more informed than mine, but I thought the point of NB was that you didn't identify as any gender? As such, then logically you would be neither cis nor trans because those things are also an aspect of the gender binary.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

itym "liberté, égalité, algérie"

Liberté, égalité, punchanazé.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dead Goon posted:

Didn't Charles say, ages ago, he wasn't going to be King Charles?

It's practically a given that if Charles gets to reign it will be as George VII. Charles has too many bad associations, Philip would go against his father's wishes, and Arthur would be sheer hubris.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Camrath posted:

First one was a goblin who focussed on being as annoying as possible (took bagpipes, kazoo and penny whistle as favoured instruments). Then more recently a magpie person (aarakocra or something) who was a local hero and obsessed with nothing more than collecting shiny objects.

That sounds like a Warcraft themed game, in which case the magpie people are the Arakkoa.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

peanut- posted:

Making coffee on that machine would be a messy nightmare. You'd have Lavazza all over the carpet every time.

The floor is Lavazza?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, I'm not opposed to a theoretical VAT on helicopters.

Especially if we impose an additional 20% tax on anyone identifying as one. :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

"Anthony Blair" is an anagram of "banality horn", makes you think.

It was pointed out at the time that "Tony Blair MP" is an anagram of "I'm Tory Plan B".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kingturnip posted:

I think OMOV is still in place for leadership elections, so if Keith gets decommissioned before he and Evans can replace it with "Corporate donors get as many votes as they want, members get a little Union Flag to wave", there's always a chance of getting a left-wing MP back into the leadership.
The issue is that unless that person is willing to gut the party of the middle-class Tory voters who seem to make up head office, and crack the whip on the melts and cunts in the PLP, they won't get much done.

If after what happened to Corbyn a left wing Labour leader is not willing to go full Stalin on the Labour right, they're not worth putting in the position to begin with. The right have proven now that they're not people who differ in their opinion on how Labour should be managed; they're just Tories who didn't go to the right school.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

QINE

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CoolCab posted:

I hate excessive pessimism because I identify elements of myself in it. I've never understood eeyoring - it is what it is, you know?

it's an ideal time to work on self improvement and make plans independent of the character and political stance of this nation, if possible. ideally from outside it.

This is the only reason to vote SNP: that they want back into the EU. It doesn't matter how poo poo an independent Scotland would be governed, if you at least regain the right to leave if you don't like it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I like ScotLab's dedication to looking at Head Office & deciding "gosh, we can be worse than them!"

They're positioning themselves to be the sensible centrist party after independence, I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

lol @ "expected range"

Do they build stadiums purely by blood sacrifice in Qatar or something?

No, they just don't give a gently caress about health and safety or the value of human life (if it's poor, anyway). You don't want to risk death on a building site? Nobody's forcing you to take their money, and there's thousands of unemployed Qataris who will.

The reality is that Qatar should never even have been considered as a World Cup host, and the only reason they got it - over the UK, as I recall - is because when Sepp Blatter asked them for a massive bribe they paid it and we said no.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can state with absolute, 100% confidence that not a single Qatari died in the construction of those sites. Or even so much as set foot on any of the sites.

Which raises the number of inaccurate words in my post to one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Yeah I've noticed that too on and off. Some cheaper lines have been gone since the first lockdown, and some stuff (fresh herbs in particular) has been spotty for months. Coriander and parsley? Sure! Anything else eg basil? gently caress off.

You need to get employed as a tabloid journalist, so we can have the headline "BASIL FAULTY" and a picture of John Cleese with herbs in place of hair.