Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Screencap from before they corrected it.

Seems about right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Off topic, is anyone aware of a tool that can recover and permanently delete old files? Basically I'm sorting through a stack of old laptops so I can take them to the food bank in case anyone needs them for school or w/e, I don't want anyone snooping my files though & not all of them have a secure option in the factory restore thingy. I can find a bunch of tools that recover deleted files or delete existing files, but none that'll just make sure the already deleted stuff stays dead. If I restored all deleted files to a specific folder and then nuked that would it work, or would restoring just create a new copy & leave the ghost data?

Piggybacking off your question to ask if re-installing windows is enough to properly clear out a 2nd hand laptop?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Thanks all :)

Looks to depend on the laptop, running something like this will show you what files can be recovered. Reinstalling Windows worked on my newer laptops, but on the older ones it left pretty much all of the old data recoverable.

I'm actually the one buying the 2nd hand laptop so it's not about deleting but making sure nothing was left on it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

peanut- posted:

The mid 80s was when UK banks moved to a model of free accounts subsidised by punishing charges on stuff like unplanned overdrafts.

It's pretty unusual to be honest, in most countries people pay for current accounts and basic banking services.

In Israel you pay a fee every time you withdraw cash from an ATM that isn't attached to a physical bank location. The amount of fees for moving your own money around is eye watering and frankly should be criminal.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Convex posted:

This is why the Government has decreed that all negative factors hampering the country's economic prosperity will be henceforth designated illegal foreign incursions from the newly recognised Brexit 'Extended Universe'. Further detail of this existential threat can be clearly seen in dramatic satellite footage captured just this morning:

The only known defence against this encroaching evil is a mandatory national clap at 6pm daily.

Extremely inefficient supply lines from the mainland there. Must be all that red tape!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I always thought that was meant to be a joke about the Germans going round in circles or something but no, that's actually the route the Nazis took during the Battle of France - that big detour is Army Group B, who mounted a fake attack on the Low Countries while Army Group A pushed through the Ardennes. After Dunkirk, B moved south to mop up the rest of the French forces, then after France surrendered they wandered over to Normandy to seize the rest of the Channel ports.

Ironically, that pissed-up arrow is the main reason why the Allies were defeated so easily. Allied planning had always been for the Germans to invade from the north through Holland and Belgium because the Maginot Line - the French fortifications along the German border - was considered impregnable, so all of their forces were concentrated in Belgium. When the Nazis did indeed invade the Netherlands, everyone patted themselves on the back and said it would all be over by Christmas, and when the French airforce noticed 10,000 tanks queuing up to go into the Ardennes, everyone ignored it because it would be *silly* to try and invade through such heavy forests...

(Obviously the lines aren't close to accurate geographically, the Germans invaded across a much narrower front, but conceptually it's one of the more accurate bits about that show)

That's super interesting, thanks. I was taught in high school that the reason the German invasion of France went so well is that they built the Maginot line, patted themselves on the back, and then were completely blindsided when the Germans just ignored it and invaded through the Netherlands/Belgium. I haven't had any reason to ever apply even the smallest amount of critical thinking to the subject so it's just something that has sat in the back of my brain for over a decade for absolutely no reason, despite it being really really loving stupid. Obviously the French would notice if the Germans invaded Belgium/the Netherlands, and people in the 30s weren't much dumber than they are today, they definitely would have prepared for that.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

If anything that means there'd definitely be a faction laughing at Belgium and the Netherlands getting invaded and forgetting there's a shared border.

Wouldn't surprise me. The UK probably had a few of those as well, not to mention the 'Actually the nazis are pretty great' crowd, so roughly the same as today as well.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Does the US still have that law where their official stance on their soldiers being tried in the ICC is 'invade the netherlands and get them back'?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Mebh posted:

Either way I don't want to police others' language.

This isn't true. We're all comfortable policing other people's language, just as we are comfortable with violence. It's just about where we draw the line. n-word? Police away. oval office? eh, maybe. This isn't just contained on the left either: see all the gammons insisting that gammon is a racial slur, actually, and you should stop using it. The same also applies to violence, because we'd all say that stopping some homophobes from beating up a gay person who did nothing wrong is fine, and if violence is required that's also fine, but loads of people when challenged say that 'all violence is wrong'. I don't want to get into 'a good guy with a gun is the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun', because obviously if you can do it non-violently that's preferable, but we don't rule it out (language policing or violence) as quick as we'd like to think.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

*nods* I saw it

Did the chemical weapon look at you?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

From what you are describing, it's probably an Adult Caution. (Assuming that you have those things over in Tanland.)
It basically is supposed to involve the police giving you a Stern Talking To, but nothing further happens. (Apart from maybe a note on a file saying that you received an Adult Caution)
Occasionally even after a case has been entered into the system, a judge can recommend that an accused be offered an Adult Caution, they adjourn the case to allow the accused to go to a police station receive said caution then the case get's thrown out.
Often they happen in situations where the reason the person refused the Adult Caution was because they were so drunk at the time that they refused to accept it.

My advice whenever it comes up is always take this if offered. Yes, they may have some of the facts wrong and you might have been totally in the right. But you are left without a criminal conviction, but with a file.
If you want to fight the case, even if you win (and sometimes that can be a big if) the best case is you are left without a criminal conviction but there will be even more of a file on you.
Consider what the end goal you want is, and how best to get to it.

I mean that's just a really poo poo system tbh. "Either you let us lie about you and put it on your file or we give you an even bigger file as a trouble maker"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I definitely read a peer reviewed article when I was at uni about how they're pretty sure that for at least some decisions, the electrical signals that make the decision (for some simple things like raising your hand) happen before the corresponding electrical bullshit happens in your brain.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Dakha posted:

(Edit: this was addressed to XMNN) I’m not sure that covid to zero minimises lockdown harm though, quite the opposite?

Whether lockdown harm is a reasonable trade off vs covid harm is a different (and totally reasonable) question though. Sounds like you’re saying you’d accept any amount of lockdown pain over a single additional covid death?

Myself I’m in favour of a more balanced approach, e.g. let’s get a bit further down the list then consider opening up. I have a friend with MS who isn’t eligible for another couple of categories, I hope we don’t open up before they are protected. But I’m encouraged by the numbers coming out of Israel, sounds like maybe the NHS could handle some amount of covid if the majority of the population are safe. It’s how we live our lives with winter flu etc right?

Just as an FYI on the Israel thing: most of the (Israeli) population is vaccinated iirc, and vaccines are now open to anyone over 16 who wants one - all the vulnerable people have basically already had it, and they've still not fully reopened yet. If that's the example you want to follow, we're going to be in lockdown for a while yet.

In fact last I checked Israel is basically still under full lockdown.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 12, 2021

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

I really like fennel in Italian food but my girlfriend hates the taste of aniseed and won't touch it :(

Your girlfriend is wise. Aniseed is vomit garbage.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Please don't interact with Breath Ray as he is an actual nazi.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Falafel is great, but the pittas in the UK are, quite frankly, absolutely awful pieces of cardboard. I miss fluffy pittas.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

therattle posted:

I never suggested it was. I dashed it off last night before bed, and I think at some level I knew it was provocative, so not even I buy the "oh hah ha, it was only a joke". It was disingenuous as a joke, and as an apology. (As someone has pointed out, it wasn't a real apology. And so I don't mind the pile-on, as it as deserved). The r/relationships posts often have the question "Am I the rear end in a top hat" - yes, I was. I should not have made that post. If I had something to say, I should have said it straightforwardly. And it would have been this:

I think I saw a reference to Israel and was almost surprised that it wasn't something negative. (Please note that I think Israel's treatment of the Palestinians is shameful and abhorrent, so this is not a defence of Israel per se). It feels to me like Israel has become the slightly lazy go-to for the epitome of an evil regime. Someone wants to make a reference to an atrocity, use Israel. But in addition to that there is something about the level of hatred, the intensity and vehemence of it, that alarms me. I have read the arguments about why this is directed at Israel in a way that it is not at other countries (eg Saudi, China). and I am just not entirely convinced. Those arguments go a good way towards explaining it, but I don't think they fully explain the singular intensity of hatred that Israel receives. I think it is partly that Israel-Palestine is the current cause receiving focus (as, say, apartheid was in the 80s), and to be fair I think that is where most of the attention to it in this thread in particular is coming from, but I cannot escape the nagging feeling at the back of my mind (or occasionally the front, as in last night) that there is an element of AS to it. This thread is actually probably an unfair recipient of that criticism or comment because generally I think people here try hard to be fair, even-handed and morally consistent. And it may simply be the Zionist indoctrination that a lot of Jewish children receive that I have not shaken off - but I don't think so.

The main reason imo is that there's pushback. You go 'Saudi is loving evil' and people just shrug go 'yeah obviously', but with Israel someone is always going ACTUALLY KILLING PALESTINIANS IS FINE AND ISRAEL IS RIGHT TO DO SO which gets people annoyed, and that is reflected back into their attitude about Israel.

For me personally it's because I grew up there, and in my experience a lot of left wing jews have it as a very sore sticking point. Probably because we're expected to see it as a beacon of shining light and progressiveness when it's just another lovely apartheid regime that regularly murders it's 2nd class citizens and covers it up while screaming about how barbaric they are for resisting murder.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

therattle posted:

Thanks, but I think you are wrong. Throwaway comments can be very revealing of what someone is thinking - more so perhaps than a carefully-thought out post. And if a comment draws that much ire then there is something there that needs to be examined and considered.

I do understand all that. I even agree with it. But you could say the same in the bolded paragraph about Saudi (apartheid with respect to gender and religion and I think nationality - and add Yemen to the mix) and it just doesn't get the same level of intense hatred. No other country does, of which I am aware. The arguments may convince you, and that's fine, but they don't 100% convince me.

That said, raising the issue in a lovely way like I did is not cool.

Saudi and China DO get the same hatred, just probably not from the groups of people you usually associate with. And weirdly, some of those people don't give much of a poo poo about Israel. It's almost as if one's cultural baggage and geography have something to do with which causes people get hung up on!

Anyway my other point is, your argument definitely doesn't hold any water when you're talking about left wing jews, so you might want to reconsider it when addressing it to us.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

CoolCab posted:

there's an interesting bit in, christ, Diamond Age I want to say - one of several stephenson books i read mostly because i make overwhelmingly poor life choices in the abstract - where the characters come to the opposite conclusion. there, they identify that hypocrisy is kind of the nature of moralizing - do as i say and not as i do and that whole racket, that people tend to espouse a higher moral compass than the one they happen to follow. and is instead presented as a universal truth - that part of believing in good morals and there being a superior way of living is, occasionally, failing to meet that standard. i think about that a lot.

Sounds like a liberal cop out, comrade. :colbert:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

therattle posted:

I don't think that's really true. I genuinely don't believe that most criticism of Israel is based on antisemitism. It's all pretty much warranted. What I am not sure is warranted is what I have observed which is Israel being used as the epitome of an evil regime, and the sheer vitriol which other, equally deserving (at least in my view) states don't really seem to get. Like I said, I had a lot of Zionist indoctrination growing up, so perhaps I am seeing something that isn't there (but I don't think so) . And maybe I don't see that same vitriol applied to other states like Saudi as much because I don't move in those circles, or because Saudi isn't thought to be controversial in the same way so there isn't something to be reacted against. But that I am not convinced. Maybe I don't want to be.

Take it from someone who served in the IDF - that propaganda while you were young sticks with you for a while and takes something fairly drastic to dislodge in most cases. At the end of the day, it's possible that some people are latching on to Israel because they're antisemitic. In fact, it's almost 100% guaranteed that SOME people are doing that, but if they're making correct points, I can't really argue with them, y'know? You can't know a person's mind. If Toby Young makes a good point about how we should abolish the monarchy (he won't, it's an example, calm down thread) I'm not going to go 'ah but it's Toby Young, that fucker, so clearly we should KEEP the royals!' - I'm going to post this:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

it's not like the hole actually adds anything.

Mods?????

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

vent away - I don't mind! Helps to know others are having the same problem!
The young mums on my FB (well my niece's - she's got a 5 yr old and many of her friends are similar) are all saying that their kids have just had it with zoom or whatever lessons.

I felt the same way about face to face school as well to be fair (ages 5-18)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

Me and my friends have a weekly online poker game, $5 buy in. We all play really loosely, have a lot of fun, and for all of us it's genuinely the highlight of our weeks.

The amount of people I've had ask me to teach them how to play D&D since this whole thing started has really skyrocketed (from its previous base of a big fat stinkin' zero)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's always the loving bard, isn't it?

To be fair, sometimes it's the rogue.

I've run/ran several games over lockdown. All over discord + roll20 and it generally works well for us. Groups have varied in size from 4-7 players. There's always going to be a bit of 'oh no you go first' but if the group has good chemistry (even new groups!) usually sort themselves out and get into it after a few sessions. I've found video chat to be more effort than it's worth, to be honest. Loads more issues than just voice chat.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Also bards are fine, they're fun support characters with creative solutions to stuff, just don't play them like a dickhead

I don't understand.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

If you say you're Plain English these days you'll be detained by a police officer and placed in legal confinement.

These new Brexit digestive flavours are getting ridiculous.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

All I want is someone to go on TV or up in the HoC and go 'If that's their opinion then they're an idiot who doesn't understand anything about money and here's why'

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

How do tax raises choke off a recovery?

If rich people have less money they won't be able to ~*~create jobs ~*~, obviously. So what if everyone is unemployed, that doesn't matter for spending, right?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Convex posted:

Would anyone like a free Steam copy of Valkyria Chronicles 4? I have a spare key from Humble Choice but already own it. Apparently it is good although I didn't play it yet.

I'll take this if it's still available, you can PM me on discord or here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Black Pudding is the thing to go. It's the worst thing to come out of this island and I'm including the tories and the monarchy in that statement. Don't @ me.