Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

People who've been contacted about vaccines - how did you get contacted?

Phone call from my GP surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

humidifying your home to keep the internal levels at 40-50% is actually good generally for respiratory health and also for combating dust mites. If you overhumidify then you can have issues

I can't get my humidity that low, but I am glad to learn that this is bad for dust mites. Are they beaten more decisively at higher humidities, or is it all the same after 50%?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

I guess solely for dust mites lower is better.

drat, I live in dust mite paradise. But thanks for checking, at least I have something to aspire to now.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Nuke Akehurst seems to think the membership is still over 500k, albeit with a *lot* of churn (roughly 20%)

Our CLP membership has shrunk by about 10%*. We're still entitled to as many conference delegates as we were last year, and since that's calculated by membership numbers our experience probably isn't wildly unusual. Our trajectory is still gently downwards.

* E: this year, I should have said. Much more since 2017.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 18, 2021

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Spangly A posted:

I'd never be friends with anyone who can't get some kind of enjoyment from CSI miami tbh

I have only seen one episode, which was about sunglasses man lusting for the death penalty and pretty sidekick posing with a gun. I got the impression CSI Miami was made by fash who were owning the libs, ie probably CSI New York.

I don't think I like any CSI, though; Scandi noir is where it's at.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you looked at the sa games forum and decided it was about people bonding over videogames??

My fondness for Owl has definitely been increased by knowing he appreciates X games. :shrug:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Is Wallander Scandi Noir?

I think the Swedish version officially counts, but it's more episodic and (I think) less gripping than The killing and The bridge, which are the classics. I wouldn't count the English version, but it's not bad either.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Catzilla posted:

I have never seen the footpath network this busy.

Country parks and footpaths being busy is surely not a sign people are ignoring the guidelines, but that they're following them to some extent? Because they're among the few places people are allowed to go, in most places. I'm sure people do break the rules when there, but outdoors is far safer than indoors.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Kinnock and Blair destroyed its functionality, destroyed the tools necessary to rebuild its functionality, and essentially turned it into a machine for petty middle-management bigots to be paid to bully people.

I left after Kinnock and Blair removed power from party members, but then rejoined when OMOV for the leadership gave members a single route to power. The trouble is that it takes a left leader a few years to get control of other party bodies, so a leader who resigns after four years is effectively useless.

I'm staying while the potential for Labour to elect a left leader is still there, but we really need a younger and more determined candidate.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

For some, for me it just makes me... stop watching it because the signal to high chromatic saturation noise is too low.

Same, so I don't watch any. In an ideal world there would be a National Précis Service.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Does anyone know a good place to find out more info on your local council and/or the people who run it?

Left Labour/Momentum people in each constituency will know the politics of the local candidates, but for the whole council you really want to know a friendly councillor.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Giving money to the Labour Party is an explicitly immoral and damaging act at this point.

Oh gently caress off. The amount of money I give the party won't buy a single shiny poster but does buy me a vote in leadership and candidate elections which are currently the only available way of fighting the melts. We've had this argument a dozen times so there is no use having it again, but that also means not making lovely snipes at each other like yours above.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How do you square this with the Liverpool mayoral fiasco, where Labour are one step removed from just outright saying that leftists don't get to be candidates? Genuine question.

By remembering I don't live in Liverpool. The left has a narrow lead in my constituency and I'm staying while I can help keep it, and so keep our best candidacies and conference votes from going to melts. When we've lost our ability to do that I'll leave, no problem. I just don't believe in handing victory to the right on a plate.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Out of interest, who did you vote for in the 2020 leadership election?

RLB of course.

Noxville posted:

Have you learned nothing from the last five years? The left will never ‘win the argument’ with the Labour right because they will not be ALLOWED to.

We won in 2015 and 2017 and if Corbyn hadn't resigned before democratizing the party we might have done more. If Starmer has a heart attack tomorrow we could win again. When they've changed the rules so we can't, I'll leave. But I will not help them by giving up before the battle is actually over.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Continuity NIP posted:

When they get sick of Starmer there will be another porridge filled balloon in a suit to take his place

Who will be elected because too many lefties have quit. Yes, it is likely, but it is not certain.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Continuity NIP posted:

In fact lots of them elected him

That was indeed depressing, but I don't think you can assume they would again. The one good thing Starmer has done is teach another generation about the dangers of choosing respectable haircuts.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Tarnop posted:

I acknowledge that my instincts are often wrong and I'd be happy to hear why.

At present we have enough left MPs to nominate a decent leadership candidate. If Starmer had a coronary tomorrow we could win, provided people stay in the party long enough to vote.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Who should run for the Labour left? And assuming they win, what then? How do you purge the machinery to remove wreckers? And how do you counter the instant Stalinism comparisons despite it being transparently horseshit? How do you resolve the antisemitism bollocks? Or if not resolve it, at least deal with it?

Anyone with a proven left track record who Corbyn is willing to endorse. It takes a while for leadership patronage to allow us to wrest control of the NEC. When you have done that, you can start rewriting rules. The problem we had under Corbyn was general elections every two years, which had two tragic results: 1) it meant he resigned after four years, whereas Kinnock got to be leader for 9; and 2) they were too worried about appearing bad electorally to do the necessary party democratization. We're unlikely to win the next election and doing so should absolutely not be our priority: becoming a party worth electing should be. So we don't need to counter Stalinist comparisons etc. If we ever get the chance we should concentrate on destroying the power of the Labour right by any means possible.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

And even if it were both our job and pragmatically possible, we'd be better off doing it to the Tories anyway seeing as they're the ones who have power.

But you wouldn't. Labour contains a lot of comrades, and its members can elect a leader disliked by most of the PLP. Neither of those apply to the Tories.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Are we sure the same kind of stitch up isn't possible?

They try to stitch up every election, but in a leadership election there's no institutional way they can eliminate candidates who have 10% of MPs and I think 5% of CLPs .

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I did not watch the Olympics ceremony, but everything I heard about it referenced one worn-out myth or another.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

there are about a quarter of a million long-term unoccupied dwellings in the UK which is a big number but a lot more of them are in places like Bolton where there is literally no demand than are in Kensington being used as a money-laundering vehicle.

True, but in other places where there is demand there are also second or holiday homes, which just spread unoccupiedness around the houses.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Sorry that you don't know about parmos, Club Bongo, lemon tops or the doggers on the South Gare I guess. It's this sort of thing that repulses people from the left.

I think that's even less believable than the usual 'people hate the left because...' stories. People who dislike me and my politics usually talk about my accent, my education, my sexuality, or my benefits. No one gives a drat whether I like pasties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Mash the tomatoes a bit. Then get rid of everything solid except the fried bread, egg, and shrooms.