Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/endamcclafferty/status/1356650323792789506?s=19

DUP turning further to the right and openly cribbing from Jim Allister.

I'm sure this is not at all influenced by the recent poll that indicated their first preference vote share at the next assembly could fall by 9% leaving them fighting with alliance for second place, with only 1% between them, while the TUV where sitting on 10% (that's +7.5%)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

crispix posted:

i know you should be careful what you wish for but i just want to see them get their comeuppance so badly. Anecdotally it seems like they have lost the hardline vote due to riding the Brexit gravy train straight into a big pile of poo poo and Robin Swan as health minister has done a lot to win over less insane unionists

I mean this seems pretty transparently an attempt to win back hardline support. The UUP remain stagnant in polling, the fact Swann isn't leader anymore maybe not helping to convert the personal admiration into party support, and Alliance on course to possibly double it's vote share maybe more indicative to where moderate unionists are going.

There's even an appeal to Unionist unity in the DUPs Five Point Plan to ditch the protocol which is pretty classic "whatever your opinions on our recent history we can't let the loving shinners win"

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

quote:

Among the top recommendations is: “The use of the flag, veterans, dressing smartly at the war memorial etc give voters a sense of authentic values alignment.”

The donkey jacket strikes again

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Major policy recommendation: wearing a tie

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Guinness is maybe the one thing we successfully stole valour from the Brits for

(Arthur Guinness may technically be Irish but he would have argued against it and he was a complete oval office and traitor)

The first Arthur Guinness was a Grattanite so i'm not confident he would have bristled at describing himself as an Irishman, similarly Lord Iveagh (Edward Cecil Guinness) was a backer of the Midletonite Unionist Anti-Partition League who swung to supporting a limited version of Home Rule to attempt to stop partition. It was pretty common for Unionists, especially Southern Unionists, to consider themselves Irish in the same way that you could encounter an extremely posh upper class person today who won't hesitate to describe themselves as Scottish but also a Unionist.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I have to admit "turn Isle of Man into a subterranean roundabout" is ballsy stuff even for our hypernormalised age.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1363447724285263874?s=19

I'm sure the fabulous dual lane roads of rural Ards will be able to easily manage the influx of travelers to Portavogie.

Maybe they'll splash out and add two extra lanes

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Brown Moses is a CIA nonce you say? Who could have predicted it.

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1364285746757173249

Edit: also lol Twitter now posting "This may have been obtained through hacking" as if that's a disqualifier.

Didn't know the Grayzone published anything anymore apart form articles angrily insisting that all evidence about mass detention of Uighurs is American funded propaganda

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Anecdotally I've heard of several people stung by the HMRC audit of EOTHO that started in November where more detailed post-payment specifics where asked to back up the submissions that where made to ensure they where compliant with the rules of the scheme.

A whole lot of people simply hadn't figured out how to actually implement the discount with their point of sale software when the scheme kicked off and winged it but if it is repeated some of the exploits that companies left open because it was too much hassle to patch them may be closed off now that more direct threats of fines and penalities have started to be circulated

Edit: by stung I mean providing a copy of your entire purchases for august, detailed information on capacity with photographs and copy receipts etc

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 25, 2021

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I think if the right wing press had gone the "she needs to be brought back to face justice in a proper British court, she's taking the piss and every other criminal will become a foreign Muslim to get away with crimes" route then the home office would have u-turned in a heartbeat, not only because it would have been slightly cheaper and easier than doing the other thing.

So the real question is why they opted to go with the route that they did. Both routes sell papers and tie to something in the deep id of the people that read them, and I doubt that any of the editors were really morally invested in either outcome.

I'm actually surprised that they didn't do their usual thing and try to play both with Daily Mail says kick her out/Mail on Sunday says lock her up.

The real answer is because no one is really sure what offence if any she could be charged with. membership of a proscribed organisation? Maybe but not as an active participant probably so like what a strong community order. Preparation of terrorist acts? Well that involves evidence.

The right wing tabloids 100% knew that there was a high possibility that there is insufficient evidence for any kind of conviction and demanding someone be permanently exiled from the country as punishment for unclear crimes without any sort of criminal charges meets their definition of "justice" a lot closer than what actually would have happened if she was allowed to return.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

XMNN posted:

- the home secretary has full discretion on determining those concerns because they have access to intelligence evidence so they must know best
- the court doesn't have a democratic mandate and the home secretary does so it's not their place to question it

These two points are kind of quintessential to the operation of the supreme court though.

Remember parliament is sovereign, the supreme court can't strike down laws, at best they can declare incompatiblities with the echr if they believe they exist and request the government change them.

It's kind of an inherent feature of our legal system and the whole you can't bind a parliament thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

a fry up should be made with a single frying pan so gently caress yer baked beans