Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is, I've tried complaining but nobody's doing anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shortly before doing the performative kneel and then whingeing about statues, yes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did someone lock all the EU politicians in a room over christmas and pipe in some sort of gas that makes people into pillocks?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Was Bovril not good for kids? The line at the bottom of this poster seems weird.

(It isn't in the original :v:)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Front bench sacking is pretty weak but it's better than nothing I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the issues raised last time were younger people not having regular GP contact and also getting the right vaccine to the right people at the right time for the second shots is a lot harder than throwing anything you have at anyone who turns up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the idiots want to euthanize themselves I have no particular quarrel with that. As long as I can get the thing and the infection rate stays low enough not to pose a significant risk to the people I care about then the people too stupid to care can do what they want.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Just learned some quite interesting things about UK meat production from arguing with some dipshit on twitter so thought I'd share them here - they're quite interesting especially in light of the "school meals"/UK Hunger fiasco recently:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1356216793384120321?s=20

This is what made me look into it. I'd heard these figures before but what he's given here is actually a best case scenario: Cows require somewhere between 6x and 25x as many calories from feed as they produce to eat according to various studies.

Anyway, some tool was arguing "These figures aren't meaningful! Animal food is not human food!" but did you know that 3+ million tonnes of wheat, barley, oats and maize are fed to animals yearly in the UK? And another 3 million tons of soya? That's enough calories, if we just ate them directly, to feed over 14 million adults for a year (at 2500kcals/person) - so if you say all of that is being fed to chickens, it's effectively wasting half (or more) of those calories, or food for 7+ million people.

Not only that but around the UK imports most of that soy, and around 1m tonnes/year of it are from sources that contribute towards deforestation (mostly in South America). Around 90% of soybean meal produced worldwide is fed to animals btw.

Just thought that was interesting.

I mean, yeah anyone who does like GCSE biology would probably understand that, the food you eat every day isn't stored as mass it's converted to energy to allow you to do things like maintain your body temperature and move. The same is also true of animals, some of it is converted to mass but most of it is not, it's just keeping them alive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Still hoping for chloroplast implants.

Sure, you could make photosynthetic cows :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the benefits of working in supermarkets is you can get fresh bread most days. Still one of the nicest foods IMO.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah that's something I miss in Canada - only the "posh" supermarkets have in-store bakeries and even then they're poo poo. They can't get French baguettes right despite there being a French-descended population right here. The outsides look right but when you cut them open the crumb is like a ciabatta.

Whereas even your most basic supermarket in the UK has an ISB which (usually) makes excellent bread. Generally food is shite here. Like you can still get ingredients to make nice stuff yourself but actually you don't realise how spoiled you are by the selection, quality and choice (and price but maybe not for long due to brexit) of food in Britain until you leave.

I will say one thing to watch out for is that the smaller supermarkets probably do not actually make their own bread, they have ovens into which they will put pre-frozen partially prepared baked goods, and they will take them out once they are defrosted and possibly browned, and this constitutes "in-store preparation" This may also be why you are finding them poo poo in canada, and in the UK is why you will notice a difference between small and large supermarket bread. The small supermarkets also often get their rolls/buns from a central depot too, while the larger ones make them in store, which you will notice because the central depot ones have the consistency of kingsmill/warburtons/hovis/whatever megabakery rolls. Which is to say they're like cardboard.

The "in-store preparation" for things like donuts for example amounts to defrosting them and then rolling them in sugar. Also anything made of fussy pastry like danishes or cinnamon rolls is pre-frozen too. But larger supermarkets will have proper bread ovens and will make it properly from flour and don't fill them with whatever unholy poo poo they put in the mass shipped bread to make it last for a week.

Supermarket bread tips: Buy it from a big store with a proper bakery, put it in a bag or something when you get home because the stuff they put it in at the supermarket is full of holes to keep it crusty when warm but makes it go stale past about half a day.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 1, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I keep getting adverts for home insurance, stock trading apps, expensive fashion items, and that one advert for falun gong.

So i don't know what google thinks I am but it seems to think I am much richer than I am.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got a loaf of bread for 10p today so I think we might have different standards of cheap.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a pretty horrible cake because you didn't put any sugar in it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

All the bread-makers ITT, how do you have hot fresh bread sitting around and not go out in one big blowout binge of hot buttered (real butter) bread.
My dad used to bake bread and I swear we got through a loaf a day each.
I envy people who can control themselves in the face of nice food.

I don't, I can eat half a loaf by myself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's generally fine if you put it in a sealed container the same day. Not the same as the crust goes chewy rather than crunchy but certainly not unpleasant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he's been sick for weeks did he actually catch it on holiday lol?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah so he caught something else on holiday then?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always think it's weird when people say "oh so and so raised X amount for charity"

Like, no, the people who donated the money raised the money for charity, and the reason they donated the money was because they already valued the thing they were donating it to, and the reason they value it is because of the people involved in the thing they're donating to, the person "raising the money" is the least important part of that. Like I don't give people a fiver for a sponsorship because I actually want them to do whatever it is they're doing, I do it because I want the fiver to go to whatever cause they're saying it will go to.

I dunno, it just always feels like a weird form of "job creators" or whatever.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 2, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah but they don't put the people who actually gave the money on telly and give them a knighthood do they.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hoarding the spicy takes is bourgeois decadence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BalloonFish posted:

Yes. Although, as WhatEvil, said, raising money for charity is good while charities [have to] exist, the broader response was and is nauseating.

Apologies if this is a repeat-anecdote in this thread, but I am no longer allowed (by mutual agreement, tbf) to be in the living room while my partner and her mum have their annual ritual of watching the Pride of Britain Awards while drinking wine, eating pizza and softly blubbing at all the heartstring-tugging stories. Some of them are people who have genuinely gone wonderful or heroic things but about two-thirds of them are people who have raised money for charities to solve problems that wouldn't exist in a truly civilised nation or which shouldn't be the responsiblity of charities anyway. Or it's about folks who have overcome huge obstacles in their life that should never have been there in the first place - "after leaving school with one GCSE, this single mum from Gainsborough didn't know what to do when the factory she worked at was relocated to Vietnam and she was evicted from her home. After living in her car with her young son for a year she got a job working 12-hour shifts at an Amazon fulfilment centre, and she's allowed to park her home in the warehouse for free...And the manager of that fulfilment centre is here tonight! [APPLAUSE!] [DEPLOY THE UNION JACKS]"

Just a string of societal failings being packaged up and sold back to us as 'Pride of Britain'. And gf's mum tears up through it all at how heartbreaking it is to see little kids going hungry and how appalling it is that teachers had to fundraise to buy pencils for their school ("round of applause for these teachers who did a sponsored unicycle twerk and raised enough to buy 500 pencils!!!!!") while proudly voting Tory.

Since having the cause and effect of those things being pointed out will not be appreciated (I can see it now: "how dare you say I want children to suffer!") I just keep schtum and it's best for my blood pressure if I go and play piano or something upstairs with headphones on like a cut-price Opera Ghost.

https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/1309325764739858432

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of words to say "we found a load of people who want to vote for the tories, have you considered being the tories?"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

flagfuckers really are just disgustingly pathetic people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And here we are in 2021 where loads of people are not wearing ties to their work from home and everyone else is wearing full face coverings when they go out in public. Corbyn got exactly what he wanted.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because when i think about politics I just want someone to stand on stage in a fancy suit with lots of flags and clap.

I want exactly the same thing from politics that I want from loving ant and dec on the TV or whatever.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Are we supposed to be clapping for anything at the moment? Didn't they try and restart it a few weeks ago and it lasted one time?

Twitter apparently thinks we need to clap for captain tom.

Presumably to scare the ghost back to the otherworld or something I dunno how the funeral rites go.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's gonna be a whole generation of people whose response to every event is to clap about it.

Like doing the sign of the cross at people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Instructions unclear, injected grandma with Tizer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I have a suggestion. So the Unionists like the Union Flag and the Queen's flag with the cats on, and the nats either like the various crosses that make up the flag or they hate everything to do with it depending on what type. So Kieth needs to stay the central route and go with a flag that in theory nobody should have any strong views on but in practice would slightly annoy everyone.

yawroN having suffered a serious head wound.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What... spirit is it that has made us the envy of the world exactly?

Is it gin?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The neutrino observatory was rendered obsolete by the invention of toby young, who has a head so thick and a braincase so cavernous that it excludes all other emissions and neutrino collisions can be observed as they manifest in him tweeting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've seen The Thing and read At The Mountains Of Madness and frankly I still would quite like to go to antarctica tbh. Both seem appealing prospects.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can do both of those at home and nobody's paying me for it :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

There are the ancient, unknowable horrors from beyond the stars to consider.

Yes I've seen BBC news occasionally as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How in the gently caress did this not get posted at war christmas?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The sardine tins glued to the side as electrical boxes are a nice touch I grant you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the point is that they don't want the people who voted in 2019, they want lovely tory dads to vote for them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Archaeology Hat posted:

Which is mystifying as lovely tory dads can just vote tory.

Sure but that's the whole point of the labour right, for all they claim to be about pragmatism they are extremely ideologically focused, it isn't enough to win, they have to win by validating their ideological beliefs which are basically tory. Epitomized by the blair quote about how he'd rather lose than win on a left platform.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have you considered cutting off your mother's legs? You might be doing everyone a favor at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish I had your confidence.