Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Zarah seems good.

https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1360628483832107013?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1360677886785683462?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Not gonna read the article but insurance based is not the same as for-profit or private. Most European countries use state insurance based healthcare systems, the NHS is an outlier.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

even so it would surely cost an absolute poo poo load to implement and for what reason?

I suspect very little reason, the idea that there’s some magical reorganisation we can do to get wildly better results for the same spending is mostly misguided. If Germany or France has better healthcare than us it’s because they spend more, not because a state insurance system is somehow much more efficient.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone that has ever played Pokemon Go could tell you that Niantic are far too incompetent to be masterminding any kind of scheme.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Problem is that this isn't just putting an anime shell on a step counter or something, there's an interior drive to digitize information from the real world to understand it for marketing purposes and as a reflex of that, to eliminate non-digital behaviours as they cannot be monitored, either literally by forcing monitoring on it or pretending it isn't happening when making decisions. An inability to accurately influence behaviours won't stop the drive to digitize everything and ignore everything that can't be, which will exclude lots of people from what businesses and governments see as 'real'. We're already seeing it with how many things need an app to access - no smartphone or an old smartphone or no tech skills? Well then you simply can't access that service.

I have a small utility company that do not provide service to my home sending me bills at the moment. They have no phone number and literally the only way to contact them is do an in-app chat with an AI chat bot and follow the conversation round in circles until the bot gives up and refers you to an agent. The agent will then contact you, again only via text chat, at some point within the following 3 days.

Meanwhile I have £150 of outstanding bills to this company that they're sending me threatening letters about.

How that poo poo can be legal is beyond me, and I'm in the probably small percentage of the population able to navigate this stuff well enough to contact them.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The "pragmatic economic competency with less austerity" ground that the Labour right want to make their own is completely hosed in an environment when the Tories are spending all of the pounds. There is just nothing for them to say.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Some poo poo about extremist teachers unions and asking if teachers should be allowed to strike.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sweet pancakes are fine but I will be focusing on creamy garlic and mushrooms in mine.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Trin Tragula posted:

I've also sat with people who don't talk to police, and watched them refuse to say anything when the evidence against them was pretty ropey, but it was still evidence that pointed to their guilt; and absent any comment from them, there was some evidence to say they did it, and no evidence to say they didn't. They all get charged.

I mean I think the "don't talk to police" advice has the implicit corollary of "until you've spoken to a lawyer who can advise you what you should or should not say".

Not that you should just sit in silence until you get dragged to court.

peanut- fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 16, 2021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Almost all better than Labour

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1361680229769469952

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
We really need some consistency on whether this is TERF Island, Paedo Island or Normal Island.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The only chance Labour had in 2019 is if they found a way to make the election mostly about domestic issues and not about Brexit (as they managed in 2017).

No idea how they could have done that, but having Brexit as the main issue of the campaign was just death regardless of which stance they took.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Seems harsh, Stav in a wig would be a fantastic columnist. His movie reviews are already better than any that get printed in a newspaper.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Looking at it divorced from the actual consequences, what Boris did in 2019 was very impressive. Set the agenda clearly, genuinely purged his party of doubters, and told the Tory base to either fall in line or gently caress off. He basically solved Brexit in the sense of it being a Tory party issue.

It's hard to envisage any similar thing having been possible for Labour, and definitely not with Corbyn being terrified of purging anyone.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Voter ID is something that Kieth should be able to stridently oppose the government on as loudly as possible, for both moral reasons and for the good of the Labour party.

Will he manage this?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

The replies to this from furious hacks saying they don't actually believe the poo poo they write are amazing

https://twitter.com/jennamahale/status/1361979451777552386?s=19

The "journalism is a small world and we'll remember this" ones are my favourite.

The responses suggest Britain has a surfeit of journalists who worked at the Mail and have since developed into magnificent, statesmanlike writers. I wonder where they're all hiding?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thing is the Mail is the most read paper in the country and getting an actual journalist job there is hard as hell.

It's not something that fell into their lap while they were panicking about how to make rent, all of these people had to make a real concerted effort to be allowed to write for the Mail.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Aren't like 70% of government bonds bought by UK institutions (ie. using the population's savings) anyway?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I mean governments borrow money to finance spending, that's fine. I'm just not really clear why this would be any better than raising more via the normal means.

Especially as UK 10-year gilt rates are like 0.5% and they would absolutely offer lower rates to non-institutional buyers so it's gonna pay back less than you could get from like.. a cash ISA.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is that Simple Politics design or are Labour actually using blue as their accent colour now?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

What's the specific effect of that? I dunno what that makes the company liable for. If they have to pay you minimum wage for being logged in that'd be funny but that seems too much to hope for.

I assume if you're logged in that means you're available to pick up passengers, so hard to defraud by having it on when you're sitting on the couch.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Supposedly (pre-COVID) London is one of only three or four places in the world where Uber is profitable, so I doubt they will be in a hurry to withdraw.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Though they will be working on rolling the abysmal prop 22 out nationwide in the US, so maybe they'll decide to focus on that future with more upside.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wouldn't say using a Pixel (or one of the cheaper generic Androids that allow access to the dev interface) and running a GPS spoofer is that hard. If they somehow are able to restrict that, I'm willing to bet someone has already worked out a way to do it with a Pi and an RTL dongle.

Spoofing your location doesn't help you with the fact that if you are "logged in" but not picking up any rides Uber are gonna figure you out pretty quickly.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

There hasn't even been any kind of attack campaign or smears against him. This is literally just the outcome of people see the things he's said and done.

There's been editorials calling him poo poo, but those were just reactions to him actually being poo poo and mostly involved pleading for him to be less poo poo.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Embrace the highest for of culture: play Counter-Strike for 20 years and become steadily less able to compete against the never ending stream of obnoxious teenagers imo

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
In the ranking of moronic Brexit-related self-harm I wouldn't have guessed that the EU might find a way to beat us out for top spot.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Honestly it looks like a more reasonable reopening plan than I expected. Gradual opening with 5 weeks between the major changes to assess if they're having a major detrimental impact.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
West Ham should continue the stadium supporters ban for the good of the club.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
We're gonna need more flags.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1363921669576925185

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Answers Me posted:

It absolutely is, isn’t it. Everything’s going to be hosed for ever. Feels like people are just going to gladly accept the inevitable ‘we must pay back the cost of dealing with the pandemic’ turbo austerity that is inevitably going to follow after a brief period of extra spending

I really struggle to see Boris as austerity PM. There will be spending, it will just be spending on absolutely stupid useless poo poo.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

Every photojournalist in the country is going to be on the prowl on 23/06 looking to take the defining image of jubilation that epitomises the end of the Covid-era

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Doesn't the wine turn into blood when you drink it? So it's fine.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I haven't been drunk in a year, but I now get really antsy if I try and sit through an evening without a couple of 330ml beers or G&Ts. Binge drinking has stopped completely but my overall intake and dependence is way up. Really need to wean myself off it a bit.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

I have to take my daughter to a hospital appointment at Evelina in London tomorrow, so for the first time in my life I'm driving into central London. I thought that, with a toddler and a global pandemic, maybe that would be preferable to going in on public transport, but now I feel like I might be being stupid. The parking costs £20, the congestion charge is £15, and according to Google it's gonna take me like over 2 hours to get there. I could have got the train for £12 return, and it would have only taken ~ 1 hour.

Thread, am I a twat? (for the purposes of this post and this post only!!!!)

Hey you're not paying the ULEZ charge so that's cheap.

If it helps, if you're not travelling at peak rush hour then trains into London are absolutely deserted. It's easier to social distance on the train than off it. I think I was literally the only passenger on a 12 coach Thameslink last Saturday.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I find it tends to be the bard because of the way they build around charisma, so every single interaction suddenly becomes a speech challenge.

A properly played bard is a fantastic asset to the party, it's just that nobody ever plays them properly / keeps trying to seduce the dragon.

Agreed, never stop trying to seduce the dragon.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Except this isn't the tabletop/pen and paper RPG thread, this is the UK th... oh... oh no :ohdear:

Let's be unequivocal here: this is a Warhammer thread.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If anything the Americans did in Iraq or Afghanistan constituted bailing us out I'd be fascinated to know what it would have looked like if they hadn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A general election is so far away that anything happening now is probably irrelevant, even when it’s as big as COVID and Brexit. We’re gonna have at least two years of “normal” Tory governance between now and then, and there’s a good chance that normal Tory governance is a lot less popular. Especially if they’re jacking up taxes.

Kieth is poo poo but his job should undeniably get easier when the Tories are back to doing Tory things rather than furlough schemes and lockdowns.

So much is predicated on Boris too. If he decides he’s too bored/stressed/poor most of the creatures behind him are despised.