Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Good thread summarising the BBC'S 'mistakes' from 2019 that just happened to be in the tories favour. The 0.6 / 0.06 thing seems like it might have been an honest mistake but remembering some of the others, especially the question time stuff, made me go a bit Rafael Behr.

https://twitter.com/docrussjackson/status/1206992886841192451?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm still pissed at the revelation that Keith doesn't support issues if they focus test badly. Motherfucker it's your job both as a QC and as leader of the opposition to make the case for the opposition.

Get a focus group that doesn't see it your way, find the fastest way to convince them, and go with that if you really need to lean on focus groups, but don't loving make policy based on the opinions of people who have so little worth living for that they'd spend the afternoon doing a loving focus group.

He's so loving useless, and the worst thing is that he and the centre-right jellyfish surrounding him think they're clever for doing it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Pfft. Burr tried to conspire with Mexico against the US and start his own country. Keith doesn't exactly have that level of zeal
I have little to no knowledge of the real Burr, but Hamilton's Burr in the 1st act is absofuckinlutely Keith.

The point of the character in the show being that Hamilton is absolutely right to say that he doesn't stand for anything and is a vacuous career politician. Which works up to a certain point, but once you hit cabinet / leadership positions you need to actually put forward positions and be seen as leading.

Then in act 2 he sees how successful Hamilton gets by playing dirty and tries to emulate it, and absolutely eats poo poo because Hamilton, despite being politically ruined after his affair, is so much better at playing that kind of game. And it drives him completely nuts.

But yes, the Hamilton version of Burr definitely has some interesting parallels with Starmer's 'play it safe' politicking.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

People who've been contacted about vaccines - how did you get contacted? Text from your GP surgery? Letter?

I ask only because I've recently moved, and don't want to land myself in the same situation as the poster who's surgery deregistered them, and I sort of still have access to the old place for post (sister in law owns it but hasn't been forwarding post and I can't drive, so it's down to when my wife happens to get across there).

Just wondering in case there's an invite letter waiting at home I might have missed - i have asthma and am 40 so I don't know if the list has gone that far down yet. I just don't want to miss my spot and get to mid march when all of the gammons have been vaccinated and have successfully lobbied Boris to let them spit directly in people's mouths again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

E: nm, old news from 2017

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Like Roald Dahl, author of beloved children's books such as James and the Giant Jewish Plot to Overcharge for Basic Goods.
It's funny how Qanon types will happily buy conspiracies like this, but when you point out that the WASPY christian types at McKinsey literally did this with bread prices in Canada they go 'seems sus' and go back to looking for microchips in their soup.

Borrovan posted:

but..... raw meat....
Can we fast forward to the bit where we all agree that lab grown meat is going to be the poo poo, both from an ethical and quality standpoint?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My wife made a gluten free cake with butternut squash, and it stayed lovely and moist for ages. Really nice.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Any good recommendations for book sellers to avoid amazon? Preferably uk based to avoid current import fuckery, ideally with an android app so I can browse on my phone.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

If he's been sick for weeks did he actually catch it on holiday lol?
it was them dirty forrins what infected him with forrin coronas

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

Goodbye England's rose, may you ever grow in our hearts.
oh drat you beat me to it :(

https://twitter.com/rantingauthor/status/1356652353928183814?s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kustomkarkommando posted:

Major policy recommendation: wearing a tie
Where's that guardian header that even had a go at Corbyn for wearing a tie?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

at this point the only thing that makes sense is that he has a dead kid fetish

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

What... spirit is it that has made us the envy of the world exactly?

Is it gin?
christmas past

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I saw an 'and viola!' in the wild yesterday, my eye did a twitch.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bots gonna bot. Like the subtle realism of having them use the wrong 'your' twice.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

We should crowdsource the shittest in memoriam image for the pod to see if they can sell on a plate.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Heard a couple of people a few streets away, and what sounded like someone banging on a pipe.

Presumably since Boris is organising it, it's actually starting at quarter past.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

BJP Space Force is in full assault mode on twitter rn under #GretaThunbergExposed
I don't understand a single word of this. Seems like she posted about a protest, the people the protest is against fed some screenshots to some chuds, and the chuds are (presumably) threatening to stab a 16 year old again?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

Genuinely why are we opening a coal mine. Is it profitable?

How have we ended up at a political moment where the Tories are pressing for the reopening of coal mines.
They are pretty much doing the 70s in reverse to own Labour.

I grew up in the North East and there are still a LOT of gammons who think if you opened up the pits again then all of the communities that had the heart ripped out of them by Thatcher would magically heal themselves overnight. Same for a lot of historically coal-reliant areas like parts of Wales. The kind of people Boris is targetting will lap this up.

When Blair hosed the party's working class roots out of the window it enabled Cameron to come along with a two tier party identity for the conservatives - a public facing identity of being 'the party of hard working people' with a substantial wink to their business / turbowealthy donors.

Things like this, the coal mines, the red wall stuff is just trying to capture the vacated working class roots of the Labour party. Thanks to Keith, it's working.

And on the flip side you have a Labour party which is so utterly devoid of [zizek]ideology[/zizek] and is propped up by (probably tory) focus groups, and desperately trying to work out if it should throw flags or immigrants at the oncoming train.

It's like playing Civ on easy and realising your opponent's entire army is engaged in a bunch of border skirmishes, so you march in and take their capital leaving them scattered.

There was a brief :flaccid: of some kind of Lab Dem fightback when keith threw a bone to the unions over British Gas, but doubtlessly the focus groups shouted at him until he went back to flagwanking.

Love to pay what would be a month's rent elsewhere ten years ago to be killed by a falling bed.

Jamie, if you're listening I am ordering 7 Normal Island tees and intend to just rotate them daily from now on.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also on behalf of my wife who would be screaming at the screen if she could read this, do not for the love of god do your own PD. Don't do it. Don't guess, don't get an untrained person to do it, just don't. You'll give yourself headaches and eye strain (especially if you regularly look at any kind of screen), and it fucks with a lot of complex prescriptions.

If you absolutely insist on ordering glasses online, do this (although your optician will hate you, especially if they're non-chain because most opticians lose money on tests knowing they can make it back selling frames):

Xaerael posted:

Option 1) Contact your Opticians and request the information. They should have it recorded, and they have to release it as it's part of your personal data.

Also gently caress Luxottica while we're on the subject.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tory donors want to return to the good old days of sitting around being bone bastard idle, except for the half hour a day they get their coachman to ride them out to their mines to whip some poor people and tell them they should be grateful for it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/jon_trickett/status/1357249346576777217?s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1357313232676003846?s=19

Wario Corbyn off his shits again.

https://twitter.com/lewiscostello/status/1357332915743514625?s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

Yes! I am Increasingly pro-nuclear.
Big same, turn this blighted isle into a glowing crater.

Can someone explain for big dumb dumbs like me what negative interest is and how / why it's a big deal? Preferably in a way I can count on my fingers.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

How would that impact us if my wife has a bunch of money in one of them Vanguard things? Not a huge abount, like half a month's wages in case the dog explodes or something.

E: Also we just got a (2 year?) fixed rate mortgage last month (to live in, put the guillotines away), and even if the payments would have fallen, I still maintain with Brexit and covid who knows what the gently caress could have happened to rates. Or the concept of money in general.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 4, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

*starts scouring goddamnedtwisto's effort posts for clues as to where he lives, while sharpening shotgun and balaclava*
I love the idea that he lives somewhere like Knightsbridge or South Kensington, and then in the middle of these gorgeous neighbourhoods there's this towering brutalist monolith and a man sat outside at a table with a sign saying 'my house is the best, change my mind.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kingturnip posted:

It's really annoying, albeit barely painful, and if there's an easy fix it'd be nice to know it.
1) Cotton socks apparently help? Nylon and synthetics build up static when you walk apparently.

2) Regularly touch things like radiators to discharge any static you have built up. Do it with the palm of your hands, not the tips of your fingers. The smaller the surface it discharges from, the more painful.

I always seem to get shocks when getting out of cars, which is why I have developed a habit of touching the roof with my palm. Obviously the car salesman meme has made this much more noticeable.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

The whiskey and ginger was excellent, so I'd like to see that making a comeback, and I deeply regret never trying the Irish cream.
Yeah same here, I was halfway through a house move and skint. Generic Irish Cream Brand™ fudge sounds amazing.

As does toblerone fudge you absolute bastards.

Bloodly posted:

Hm? I didn't realize 'quiz' was somehow a poor word?
woke: quiz as a noun
broke: quiz as a verb
bespoke: quiz as an adjective

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

too much coke: i identify as a quiz

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Smack barm, nonce wet and babbys yed etc

In other news, Rileys gonna Rile:

E: apparently he's seeking legal advice over this tweet, and her saying / implying that he was thrown out of the labour party for antisemitism, as opposed to the reality that he left his CLP.

https://www.facebook.com/959780427477483/posts/3533536996768467/

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1357720496922632198?s=19

What's sad is that I can already see how this pans out. Riley uses her legal insurance to spin the case out into irrelevance, playing the victim and getting Bastani monstered in the process while he's doubtlessly under a silencing injunction.

If it ever actually makes it to trial, her lawyers will point out that she simply called him one of the [i]ringleader[s/i] of antisemites, so she just has to prove that his followers are antisemitic.

Case is thrown out, and her mates in the press gleefully report he lost his case against Riley over antisemitism, knowing drat well how that will be read by the Eddie Marstans of the world.

She really is a vile human being.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 6, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If Bastani quit (which he probably did as have many of us) he won't be under a silencing injunction will he? That's if you get suspended from labour? Or do you mean something different?
If there was a case against Riley. I always hear about weird injunctions that can be applied for in slander /libel cases that stop people the people involved from talking about it publicly, and they always seem to screw the person who needs to be able to justify themselves.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ I personally feel old because of the alarming amount of body parts that are starting to fail me.

serious gaylord posted:

Didn't Riley get that case thrown out against the guy who said she was a ringleader and targetted that 16 year old girl by claiming shes not responsible for other peoples tweets?

Bastani has said hes seeking legal advice.
I mean that's assuming that the law applies equally to the left and centre.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

A statement was made linking Israel to George Floyd. Nobody can prove it was true.
At the time this all happened I was arguing against this take, and in the end it comes down to a very fine technicality over the precise order of words Peake used, and the direction of the meaning in that paragraph.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...r-a9583206.html

quote:

Born in Bolton to a lorry driver father and care worker mother, Peake is strident and expressive; if religion wasn’t anathema to her, she’d be perfect in the pulpit. “Systemic racism is a global issue,” she adds. “The tactics used by the police in America, kneeling on George Floyd’s neck, that was learnt from seminars with Israeli secret services.” (A spokesperson for the Israeli police has denied this, stating that “there is no tactic or protocol that calls to put pressure on the neck or airway”.)

On a point of technicality, she says 'the tactics used by the police in America.' As this article was creating a storm, a self-defence training academy in NY was literally boasting about having a former mossad agent teaching Krav Maga (the fighting techniques taught to the Israeli Security Services) to the NYPD. One of the images specifically showed someone kneeling on another person's neck.

Now the specific force that murdered George Floyd may not have been directly trained by Israelis. But the point of that paragraph was not to get hung up on the specific chain of training that led to officers in the US using that technique, nor was it to blame Israel for police violence.

Among martial arts afficionados, Krav Maga is almost a meme in terms of it's functional effectiveness. It is a fighting technique designed for military self defence rather than pankration or self defence, and as such encourages a wide range of techniques such as eye gouges, targetting dudes nuts, and the neck lean if that's the most effective way of getting the job done.

It is a notoriously hardcore style, and completely inappropriate to be using outside of a warzone, let alone on the apprehension of a possible suspect of a nonviolent crime. It would be like British Army officers advising the Met to use white phosphorous to break up extinction rebellion protests (please god don't lathe this).

But the accusation of antisemitism is being used to completely disregard the rest of the valid points she's making about capitalism and police brutality.

I also recall at the time there being a discussion about the difference between the Israeli Security Service (which all israeli kids have to do national service in) and the Israeli Secret Service, and the fact that archived versions of the interview use one and not the other. Also the fact that the journo retroactively added a statement from the Israeli police, a separate organisation.

Peake wasn't saying "Jews were to blame," she was saying "The police killed George Floyd with an incredibly violent technique, and maybe we should look at the system that allowed that to happen."

But it all comes down to the intent with which someone reads that paragraph. It could be read as antisemitism. It could equally be deconstructed to say it's not, with a little investigation. But that hardly matters, because someone primed to read it as antisemitic is going to read that interpretation over any other.

And the problem is that an actress who is correct overall about a Krav Maga technique being used to kill George Floyd is not only tarred with the antisemitism brush, it's that her mistake in not using the most precise wording in expressing that idea is then used to sack a sitting MP from her front bench position because that MP liked the article.

You ask why Israel? Because if the martial art technique of any other country had been involved, it wouldn't have gotten the attention of the centrist journos still wanking themselves raw over their victory over the left.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 7, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

To be very loving clear I don't think any police service in the world trains its officers to murder civilians.
They give them guns and tell them to shoot on sight, what exactly do you think that is for?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

For anyone who never saw it: Baddiel taking the p out of footballer Jason Lee which led to much abuse of Lee.

I want to bring up a thought here, but very carefully preface it with three statements before I do:

1) What Baddiel did with the blackface is not OK.
2) I'm sure Jason Lee did recieve hatefully motivated racial abuse.
3) Baddiel probably contributed to that abuse, both in terms of severity and amount.

But to quote chanting 'He's got a pineapple on his head' as an example of abuse says more about how little the person writing this understands football / lad culture.

Again, I am sure Lee did endure horrible racist abuse, and that the abuse was exacerbated by a national TV show punching down like that. But it's the nature of football crowds to rib players, and I feel like the energy coming off the pineapple chants specifically is more the affectionate ribbing kind. Like blokes taking the piss out of each other down the pub.

But why not quote a more severe, understandable example of the abuse? I guess the pineapple aspect conclusively links it to Baddiel. And to us, there is a definite argument that it's racist, it's punching down, it's toxic masculinity and exclusionary etc.

I just don't think that the crowds doing it were motivated by hatred in the same way chelsea fans making monkey chants are. I think it is still an ignorant kind of racism, just not a hateful one.

I can't quite reconcile it, like the extreme tumblr takes like 'my parents made me hug their friends and that's abuse actually.' I mean yes, in the case of a child with unrecognised physical or emotional sensitivity it would feel like harm; but I doubt that the parents were motivated by the kind of malice that the term 'abuse' implies in common parlance.

But I also feel like I'm probably wrong for thinking that, and I need help filling in the gaps in the argument. So I expose my poo poo thoughts to the thread to see if I can get help not having poo poo thoughts.

I would quite like to not have poo poo thoughts.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ash Crimson posted:

So much bigotry is propagated under the belief that it's just a joke and that those who are personally targeted by it and offended are humourless
That's why I was uncomfortable with finding myself having that thought process, it's worryingly similar to "I was just joking, :siren: you people :siren: are so sensitive."

A lot to think about, thanks peeps.

justcola posted:

I had a long conversation with my girlfriend about the word ‘oval office’ as she doesn’t like me using it.

1) e: never mind, you said you try not to use it around her.

2) As you say, the cultural impact of the word is different everywhere. In Australia and Scotland, it's thrown around very liberally with very little offense. Adam Hills used to have a routine about the c word in Australia but I can't seem to find it.

I find it weird the taboos that build up around words, and a lot of the time a weird contradiction starts to come up between the meaning of the word and the negativity of its usage. "You have a perfect oval office" should in theory be a compliment, but it's tied up in the fact that the word is usually used to imply that the comparison to a vulva is a bad thing, or that the vulva you're comparing it to is somehow disgusting.

In strictly objective linguistic terms, the negative associations make no sense, but end up being more important in terms of the effect on the listener. To a lot of women, hearing the word 'oval office' is as stressful as a threat, something that doesn't really happen to guys hearing the word.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 7, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

it really seems like Baddiel and Linehan are on crusades because they couldn't admit to being wrong over one thing imo
It's funny - one of the quoted sections there, he starts off addressing the Jason Lee thing by saying he recognises that it was wrong and says he has apologised for it, and complaining that he should be allowed to comment on racism without people bringing up the Jason Lee picture.

Then continues along the 'and that's why Jeremy Corbyn should never be allowed back in politics' track and talking about why it's always important to challenge racism and never trust the opinions of someone who's (in his eyes) done a racism.

I think I've made this point before but there's a video on youtube of Jim Davidson at a book signing or something, and someone is asking him to apologise for things like the 'Rastas Watermelon' character. He has a tantrum and starts going "I can't keep apologising for things I did 30 years ago," but surely if the apology is genuine and you genuinely understand why it was bad, you would keep apologising every time someone mentions it?

Maybe if Baddiel starts finding himself making the same arguments as Jim Davidson, he should also consider that his attitudes on race are not well formed enough for him to be leaping into the debate.

Also, bad eels are what's trapped in a bunch of lorries in Kent.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's also worth pointing out that Baddiel never apologised. He just remained pissy about the photo.
He claims he has in the book, which is why I brought it up:

https://twitter.com/TKispeter/status/1358203975753994243?s=19

Like I said, basically "I apologised for the racist thing I did but the big meanies keep reminding me I was racist whenever I try to talk about racism." Meanwhile the traitor Jeremy Corbyn should be hounded out of public life and reminded of his racism every time he tries to talk about race.

The 'more important kind of racism' line is particularly insidious because it's very similar to the attack line he keeps using against Corbyn about his alleged antisemitism.

He's a total loving hypocrite and he can't even see it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

It's why I like this thread. It's nice to be challenged on stuff and it's why I try to post rather than hide because it's a safe space while at the same time a place where you all won't hesitate to call me out if I say something stupid.
My favourite is when someone gets absolutely bodied in this thread and then goes to the chat thread to complain about 'the hivemind.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jose posted:

seems its not just QCs with brainworms its the entire legal profession

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1358458213042118662?s=20
Got lost down a twitter hole in the replies and have so far been disappointed by humanity in the following ways:

Jackie Walker (vice chair of Momentum) claiming Bastani has done this to her, but with no links or evidence except a link to an article someone else wrote that makes no such claim.

Also getting weirdly flagtastic on her twitter page, not familiar enough to know if it's irony.

Rachel Riley has apparently managed to shut down AAV with an injunction while she strings out a case for as long as possible.

The other dude she's suing has managed to raise over 120k in legal funds, but now Riley's lawyers are trying to get his funding pages shut down for 'repeating libelous accusations.'

Various people commenting on all of the above, either missing the point and deciding to go full antisemitism, or pull lefty slurs on Bastani.

Everyone is being a twat today, so I am going to walk the dog and try not to let it bring me down.