Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I wonder who people are who end up in focus groups. How do they find them out, ship them to some room, ask them questions like 'if Keir Starmer was an animal what would he be' and someone would say 'eagle'.

I've been feeling a bit sad about politics last few weeks so have been avoiding news and the thread. Instead I have been watching lots of tv and film and thinking about how poo poo everything is, from the messages they put out to how the staff were exploited making it. Not the best way of taking in entertainment but when I find something that isn't poo poo, its pretty good (just Small Axe so far, we'll see)

Hope you all have a good Feb anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

hate to think I'd get all the way to 100 without being a meme then all of a sudden I'm made out of fireworks on NYE and die a month later

Niric posted:

This isn't cineD but I want to see this!

Starmer or Cameron?

Cameron

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I don't get the dear oh dear oh dear as that's a Chuckle Brothers reference (?) but the bedwetters and luvvies bit makes up for it. Almost as good as the Sunday Sport

https://twitter.com/thesundaysport/status/1357253781705138181

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

seems like there's a few articles about how boring Keir is

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/05/britons-drama-keir-starmer-labour-leader-competence

quote:

Like all desperate thrill-seekers in this interminable lockdown, I was momentarily stirred to hear there were some handbags between Boris Johnson and Keir Starmer in one of parliament’s corridors after prime minister’s questions on Wednesday. Yes! Action! I briefly imagined the lightning exchange of cash bets as watching MPs behaved much like the hyped-up midnight crowd in one of those underground Chinese insect-fighting contests.

All of which brings us to the question: where is the British public at with Keir Starmer? Speaking for myself, I would say that I definitely get he can give sober and detailed university lectures in archaeology. But what most of the movie needs to be, if enough people are going to watch it, is him successfully outrunning a massive boulder hurtling down the tunnel after him. Can he outrun a boulder?

As always in the Labour party, any leading man – it’s always a man – has to deal with a lot of poison darts being blown at them by their own side. Thus this week there has been much ranting that Starmer’s Labour is planning to do one of those many political phrases I never understand, and “wrap itself in the flag”. I’d rather it attached itself to some jump leads, but there you go.

etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55943661

quote:

In her 2018 book the New Working Class, Claire Ainsley had warned politicians that while "policies do matter" they "should be viewed in the context of what the party or candidate stands for".

And there were important activities parties would have to embrace if they were to reconnect with voters who were feeling overlooked, or felt distant from them.

She advised that while "engaging in a discussion about morals, values and attitudes is uncomfortable territory for many politicians", it is "becoming increasingly essential".

She is now Sir Keir Starmer's policy chief.

'Brains trust'

But stressing the need to emphasise values over individual policies does not mean that a search for ideas is off the agenda.

In fact, work is going on beneath the radar on the offer Labour might make to the electorate in three or four years time.

Ainsley and shadow cabinet office minister Rachel Reeves have convened a kind of "brains trust" - or "a community of thinkers"- to discuss how the party might approach the challenges of the future.
Starmer's direction

In findings from focus groups commissioned last summer by Labour - and leaked this week to the Guardian - some respondents had talked about the party "sitting on the fence", or being "too quiet".

Starmer himself seems to have been viewed positively, but the need for a defining story seems pressing.

So far the think tank sessions seem to have been discursive rather than definitive.

One invitee wasn't even sure if a minute of the meetings was being kept.

In Ainsley's book she sets out what she sees as the key values which would chime with not just an increasingly diverse working-class but voters more generally: "family"; "fairness"; "hard work"; "decency".

But it seems this new forum has not yet been specifically asked to come out with the kind of policies which would symbolise each of these and connect Labour, under its new leadership, to the party in voters' minds.

And there is an elephant in the virtual room.

Some of those happy to help develop policy and exchange ideas are not yet clear on where Starmer wishes to take his party.

and so on. I like the idea that journalists all sat together at some point this week and decided to run stories about how boring Keir Starmer is after he said he wanted to gently caress the flag and argued with Boris Johnson partway through PMQs. I reckon, like May, he'll stick around for a while yet. The whole thing is hosed anyway, this pandemic is a disaster and all the opposition leader is known for is how boring and poo poo he is, yet all the centrist wankers were pretty much begging for someone like this to take over Labour.

How's the NIP doing anyway?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I had a long conversation with my girlfriend about the word ‘oval office’ as she doesn’t like me using it.

Her argument is that the word is inherently misogynistic and through using it objectifies women and supports a sexist culture. My opinion is that I don’t use the word to refer directly to female genitals, just as when I say poo poo I’m not referring to faeces or if I say loving I’m not referring to the act of sex – and that oval office is used and has a different meaning in the UK than other places (she speaks English as a second language and is from Europe)

Most of the times I’ve heard it recently has been from women (‘Keir Starmer is a useless oval office’), though she also finds this offensive and the women using it don’t know the damage they are doing to all women by saying oval office.

She compared it to using racial slurs, which I think are different as they are only intended to cause harm/offence rather than the versatility of oval office. Though in this conversation I felt a bit like a free speech weirdo, I still don’t feel entirely convinced, yet I obviously don’t want to be sexist (or cowardly not use it around her but continue using it elsewhere).

I think the context and intent matters with all swearing – and I’d never call a woman a oval office – and there’s plenty of words I wouldn’t use, so I’m not sure where I sit with it really. From the few articles and papers I’ve read it there seems to be too diverse an opinion, though from my personal experience (in Northern England) oval office isn’t used in that way. Personally I find tits and fanny to be more degrading so don’t say them, but should I stop using oval office too?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

CoolCab posted:

but like, and this is more Discoursey, you get into some really sticky questions quite quickly- if there are two groups of people, and a term or behaviour is deeply offensive to one group but not the other is that a meaningful distinction - does the first group have an obligation to meet the social expectations of the second? can a specific usage and context be divorced from unfortunate baggage in this way, and if we say it can't does that have implications as regards cultural imperialism? is it ethical for the offended group to demand or even support another adopt their standard in this way?

complicated questions with non-obvious solutions

Generally I'd say the oppressed group should be listened to, language matters and it doesn't take much effort to stop using words if all they do is cause harm. There's also big regional variance - 'retard' seems to be used more easily in the USA whilst in the UK I'd say its more offensive - as well as intent.

If oval office had the same impact here as it does in N. America I wouldn't use it, but as its used by a wide variety of people in different contexts ('look at that oval office over there', 'I've made a oval office of this', 'I feel like a right oval office') I'd err on the side that the words meaning has changed over the last century from its original meaning. I'm not sure if it has been liberated to the extent other words have, but things like Ladies Chatterley's Lover or the Vagina Monologues have shifted its meaning, as well as the ubiquity of its usage in places like Scotland for instance.

I dunno though. A lot of swear words are sexualised in some way whilst also not being literal - if I say someone is a dickhead I don't mean they literally have a penis emerging from their forehead, rather that they are foolish - and if swearing can cause offence does that mean it shouldn't be used? Or is swearing good actually?

e: VVVV I think its very likely I am wrong, I just want to be convinced. There's a difference between just thinking 'other people find this offensive so I won't do it' against 'I think this is offensive so won't do it' - I want to better understand it

justcola fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 7, 2021

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Cheers for the feedback - I don't say oval office around her of course, this all came up because I was reiterating something else somebody said about Captain Tom and said 'c-word' instead of oval office, then we got onto using words like that which quickly translate into their actual meaning so why not just use the original word and so on. I was wondering if there'd be an easy answer, but maybe not - I'll think on it.

I first came about the word when I was very young and my dad would like to retell the Derek and Clive 'this bloke came up to me' skit, and I remember shouting it at some other lad in the playground but none of my friends had heard it before. It's me, I'm the child swearer.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Random Integer posted:

Just imagine how the polls are gonna look when the Tories manage to turn the corner on the pandemic despite themselves

"ah but say what you want about the tories, they got us out of that pandemic"
"he handled it really well under the circumstances. And he had it, don't forget"
"everyone got vaccinated in the end, so they did good"
"as a lifelong Labour voter I've decided to vote Conservative for the first time after the covid crisis"

etc.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I used to work at a solicitors and, most of the time, just answering 'no comment' to everything but your name tended to lead to getting off. It was all the people trying to contextualise things or give there side of the story that ended up getting in more trouble

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Trin Tragula posted:

Then your rep asks you for your side of the story, tells you about what the evidence is, and gives you some advice on what you should say, or not say, in interview. The more truthful you are, the better they can advise you. This conversation is secret and legally privileged and the police are not allowed to listen to it.

Then you go into interview and it's up to you whether or not you follow the advice. Sometimes it's best to give an account; sometimes it's best to give a prepared statement but refuse to answer questions; sometimes it's best to go straight no comment; sometimes it's best to admit an offence and say how remorseful you are.

This was one thing I wasn't sure about - if you tell a solicitor that you definitely committed a crime and there's evidence here and here, doesnt the solicitor then have some kind of obligation that they know of a crime and could therefore only advise you to either no comment the interview or tell the truth? Not that you should fib to the police, but I was under the impression that you shouldn't tell your solicitor absolutely everything (at the very least because they laugh about it back at the office)

I was also under the impression that anyone is entitled to Legal Aid for an allegation of a criminal offence, which most of the time translates to whatever duty solicitor is about at the time. People only tended to refer to our firm directly as they had multiple contacts with the police or were in a gang or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo