Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is why Rowling is immune to accusations of anti-Semitism, her main bad guy doesn't even have a nose

How does he smell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My 90-year old grandfather is refusing the vaccine for various grumpy-old-man related reasons like "I'm already 90" and "I never had a flu shot either".

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Barry Foster posted:

Sure man, glad I could help.

There are so many people who only achieve something of note in, like, their 40s or 50s. Late bloomers. There are many, many, many more people who never really achieve much of anything, like Owl pointed out. The point of life isn't really to Achieve Stuff According To Mutually Agreed Standards And On A Mutually Agreed Timeline, it's to be happy however you can (at as little or no expense to other people that you can manage) and make other people happy in turn. Having a steady mind and a sense of peace is the most valuable thing there is, far more so than travelling around the world or whatever. It's loving hard to accomplish, especially for anxious people like yourself or myself, but it's worth focusing on.

And as you say, everyone starts somewhere. I have a feeling once you start you're going to relax pretty quickly (probably after an awkward couple of weeks). So long as the job isn't lovely or exploitative and the people aren't dickheads, of course.

Yeah this is good advice

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If you want football you don't have to wait for winter 2022, there is the UEFA Euro 2020 coming in June, with the semifinals and finals played in Wembley Stadium. England, Scotland and Wales have qualified, teams from Ireland need not apply and if you think Gibraltar needs to have their own football team you're just taking the piss.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I remember the first time I visited Belgium we were driving to Brussels, and literally the second the motorway crossed from France into Belgium it was like driving on the goddamn moon.

Best roads though hands down has to go to the Swiss. Everyone thinks it’s the Germans and theirs are very good overall, but Swiss roads are just crazy. So is their phone service, we were half way up a mountain in the middle of buttfuck nowhere and still had full 4G reception.

Of course the UK road situation isn’t helped by every manufacturer deciding their cars must all have big diamond cut alloy wheels with low profile tyres.

Roadchat: Germany's main roads have been deteriorating for years now and Belgium had actually made decent improvements. One issue that is affecting Germany in particular but other countries as well is that a great many bridges were rebuilt in the 10-20 years after WW2, and these are now all in need of replacement which is putting huge pressure on the infrastructure budget.

The Netherlands is also hit by this and several large bridges have had to be closed in recent years for emergency repairs after inspections found them unsuitable for heavy traffic.