Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

josh04 posted:

Facebook dug up this ancient article I read and it's still the best thing. Checkmate, communists, this chimpanzee's a loving idiot!

The child grew up to be Toby Young, so I'd say the results are inconclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Typical grauniad

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's very weird being in a situation where the government hasn't hosed everything up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jose posted:

They have though

well I mean the vaccines, not the giant pile of dead people

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Starmer's stupid open the schools at all cost focus-grouped policy is going to end up biting him in the arse SO hard.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/SamWhyte/status/1358437230562410500?s=20

:kstare:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pop quiz: without looking it up who is the leader of the Lib Dems right now?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

oh well - I was chatting with some politically-minded friends on Zoom and none of us could remember who it was.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol the tweet is allegedly offensive. you can only take umbrage at it once a judge says so

https://twitter.com/FormerOtter/status/1358776818585731072?s=20

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/antibloom/status/1359902690185199619?s=20

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

crispix posted:

lol i'm happy to help, i maintain that people pining to go to magaluf and ibiza or whatever the gently caress in the middle of this are utter cretins with poo poo for brains

those scumbags wanting to go on holiday

but not actually going on holiday

just wanting to

scum

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

crispix posted:

they're not going because they're not allowed

Sneering at people looking forward to a tiny bit of happiness in the middle of this hell just makes you look like a lovely person.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

crispix posted:

people are being somewhat melodramatic

crispix posted:

i'm the sort of person who is grateful for what i have, i suppose, like being able to sleep in a warm bed and not having to worry about seeing my loved ones getting their heads chopped off in the street

:thunk:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/A_Hess/status/1361326309117411331?s=20

loving hell

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

oh yeah absolutely there were lines that got crossed, I just don't think it's entirely fair to say "well she's a terrible person, look what she said" when she was getting told how to act and what to say by the producers the whole time

I dunno, specifically the clip I posted normalises a whole bunch of awful right-wing poo poo. After all, if they're making fun of a single mum on the BBC at teatime it must be okay right?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lmao remember the mural that unambiguously proved Corbyn was a rabid antisemite. Current darling of the right Gina Carano posted pretty much the exact same image and now Bari Weiss has given her a full pass for it:

quote:

The meme bears a striking resemblance to an infamous East London mural called “Freedom for Humanity” that Jeremy Corbyn defended from destruction. The faces in the original mural are different — hook-nosed, and more obviously the derogatory stereotype of Jewish faces, like Der Stürmer caricatures.

There are different standards—or ought to be—for actors, who get paid to play other people, and politicians, who serve the public and should know the history and implications of such an image. When the then-leader of the Labour Party objected to the destruction of that mural, it was in the context of a litany of other data points.

As I wrote in The New York Times in November 2018:

“He paid respects at the memorial of the Palestinian perpetrators of the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre. . . He participated for over a decade in the activities of a group called Deir Yassin Remembered, which was led by a Holocaust denier. He publicly defended a virulently antisemitic vicar named Stephen Sizer. He invited an Islamist preacher who believes Jews use gentile blood for religious reasons to tea at Parliament. And so on.”

Still, I wondered, was I wrong to have leapt to Carano’s support? Was this meme proof of a darker worldview?

So I reached out to Carano for answers.

What, I asked, was her intention when she shared that image? Did she know that it drew on antisemitic ideas and imagery?

“I was in utter shock and confusion when certain people said it was antisemitic,” she wrote me. “Then, as I went to take it down, I noticed that the image was not the same as the one people were referencing. I was honestly confused: should I take it down, or leave it up? I still don't know the answer to that question, because taking it down only makes the mob attack you more,” Carano said.

“The image for me was a statement that people need to stand together and rise up, stop being so manipulated by the powers that believe they know what's best for you and play games with our lives,” she wrote. “My heart has only ever had ultimate respect and love for the Jewish community.”

To me, at first glance, that image looks as if it’s a visual representation of the “Protocols of the Elders of Zion.” When old men, money, a globe and a secret meeting are in one picture, my mind screams “Jews!” But it seems that, to a lot of people, it genuinely does not, perhaps because there are no explicitly Jewish symbols.

“I know what antisemitism looks like, being one of the more prominent kippah-wearing people out there,” Ben Shapiro, who, according to the ADL, was the journalist most targeted by antisemitic hate during the 2016 election, told me. “This doesn’t chart. I don’t like the meme, especially given its origins. But antisemitism, like racism — and contrary to the NYT’s executive editor’s dictum — requires intent. Gina obviously didn’t have any such intent.”

“Gina isn’t antisemitic. Period. This meme is being ‘resurfaced’ as a post-facto justification for an unjustifiable cancellation,” he said. “Gina wasn’t aware of the origins of the original picture, and was devastated to hear about it, just as she has been devastated by the absurd and bad faith contention that she is antisemitic in any way.

I understand why Carano feels torn about taking down the image: there’s no winning. Leave it up and you’re bad. Take it down and you’re bad, since it’s an admission of guilt. ”

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

"Is this a double standard? Yes, here's why that's good..."

In 1987 it was alleged that six Nazi war criminals were living in the UK and that all of them were Jeremy Corbyn.

Also the argument. "No look the murals are different. The noses in his one are way more Jewish looking."

Um.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

oh noooo the woman I have to deal with at work today is a sov cit

this is going to take forever

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Borrovan posted:

tell her that you don't consent to the magna carta

currently trying to figure out this https://www.commonlawcourt.com/

e: oh god they issue their own court documentation this is going to be a nightmare to sort out

https://www.commonlawcourt.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Court-Order-1.pdf

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Borrovan posted:

Seriouspost, idk exactly what you do for a living but surely this is the correct answer. "none of these documents or processes carry any legal weight, therefore I am disregarding them"

In a perfect world I would say that, she would go "oh, okay" and we would move on.

Sadly this terminal case of brainworms is likely to end with a judge issuing a warrant for her arrest and her life getting all hosed up. Ah well.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno, perhaps she would be responsive to the idea that yes, the authority of the UK court system is morally illegitimate but it is also real and will not hesitate to ruin you if you don't do what it wants and you can't get round it by waving the card you bought off the internet at the judge.

In much the same way that a man with a big stick threatening to take your knees off lacks moral legitimacy but also still has the stick.

In my experience sov cits only ever kinda realise they've hosed up when they're actually detained. I'll let you know how it pans out.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

https://twitter.com/spectator_life/status/1362014432159703044?s=21

Nothing says open-sourced, people-focussed, truth-to-power than a puff piece in the loving Spectator :lol:

I could deal with him being a CIA stooge and a puppet of the US military-industrial complex but he's dead to me now.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sov cit lady ended up with a suspended sentence and a manageable costs order.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The replies to this from furious hacks saying they don't actually believe the poo poo they write are amazing

https://twitter.com/jennamahale/status/1361979451777552386?s=19

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

peanut- posted:

The "journalism is a small world and we'll remember this" ones are my favourite.

The responses suggest Britain has a surfeit of journalists who worked at the Mail and have since developed into magnificent, statesmanlike writers. I wonder where they're all hiding?

"Sigh, look, you don't get it. I did it for money."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BalloonFish posted:

That tweet/replies is...not exactly shocking, but really revealing about how morally bankrupt 'journalism' actually is. All these people happy to keep a publication like the DM going to print because it pays well and it 'get's their work out there for people to read'. Yeah, read by angry racists, bigots and reactionaries who consume this stuff because hate is the emotional response they have left in their dead hearts. You must be so proud to get your vital work out to such people. Utter, utter ghouls, the lot of them.

I've met friends of friends who write for the Sun, Mail, Express etc and they've all been white middle-class university-educated young people with basically bog-standard liberal politics. When I've asked them how they can do it they justify it by saying they obviously don't actually believe what they write but if they weren't doing it someone else would be (and don't worry , they also despise the readership). I guess at some point in journalism school it gets drummed into you that a newspaper's political stance is irrelevant and work is work.

Always thought that makes them scummier tbh.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fridge corn posted:

See, I really don't think you are helping the cause by being rude and nasty to people who just need a gentle reminder or perhaps a little bit of education on the subject. You aren't going to win over any new allies that way. I can understand treating someone in this way who is misgendering repeatedly and deliberately but that clearly isn't the case here

I've been a massive Grant Morrison fan for like 20 years and had absolutely no idea that they preferred they/them pronouns.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rumda posted:

It was literally all over every newsfeed with any interests even tangentially connected to gender or comics in the summer, and it was posted in the ukmt at the time as well

Well I know now and will use them in future. Bit poo poo to be so needlessly hostile about it though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rumda posted:

Na I've had it with giving the cis any sort of latitude it lets you get away with way too much

thank you for putting the rabid hotbed of transphobia that is the UKMT in its place

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

this is basically drivel.

Who is this speech for? Times columnists?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

"The mistakes of Labour" ... "The Prime Minister is right"

jeez

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

Really what we could do with is a unified Ms/Mrs where you don't get people mad for not knowing if theyr married or not

I think "Ms" is the unified version of Miss/Mrs intended to avoid assumptions about married status.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/broderly/status/1363857136749486080?s=19

Where's the birth certificate Keith

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

same.

I really miss nightclubs and drunkenly dancing to daft punk (RIP) with my housemates with the living room lights off just isn't the same.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Re contrapoints- I just don't like that every video has to be like 90 minutes long. Condense that poo poo I've got things to do.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ewan posted:

I had the red monkeys you could chain together as a kid, long before toy story.

EDIT, also lol from Wikipedia page on those monkeys:

Yeah, sure...

Aren't those toy monkeys on the poster for 12 Monkeys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/markpopham/status/1186995263807864832?s=20