Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Angrymog posted:

Since we've all started working at home, the sickness rates at work have apparently gone way down. I think it's a mixture of people not getting sick, and people who're slightly sick continuing to log in because it's less effort than going in and they don't have to worry about infecting anyone else.

Yeah, ever since I started having home working as an option, I pretty much never call in sick. It's easy enough to keep your head down for a day or two if you have a cold, especially if you whinge about it just a little...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

I feel like this discussion about the Bradford Score came up itt in the last few weeks BUT - Employees should have a little fake sick leave, as a treat

My wife used to work for a trendy recruitment agency (who, of course, were all utterly horrible, mercenary cunts), and they allowed staff to have 2x 'duvet days' per year, where you were just allowed to ring in and say you couldn't be hosed. Of course, given that this was an organisation where you were castigated if you didn't get in an hour early and leave an hour late every day (at least), I imagine this perk was pretty much never used, or caveated so far up the arse that it effectively wasn't worth it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

1965917 posted:

A year later and I'm still angry

Doesn't even include the famous Kuenssberg tweets about punches being thrown by Labour activists that turned out to be completely fabricated.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Perfect.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

The worst part of this ad is that I think the voice over is done by someone famous, but I can’t place who, and if I do find out who it is, I’ll hate them. Maybe Ben Bailey Smith?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I think Keith must be feeling the pressure for the first time since he became leader. The media had his back over chucking out corbyn and rlb, but they're turning against him now (to what end, who knows?)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I have ordered some fudge and I cannot WAIT for it to arrive.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Looks like most of the Toblerone fudge sales were to bots and scalpers, unfortunately. On ebay packs are going for three or four times the original retail price. Camrath should do more to stop this kind of thing. Shame!!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/PrivateEyeNews/status/1358031990596005891

They may be melty at best but you have to appreciate the dedication to the bit.

Pathetic from Neil, that.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Is the whole of Baddiels book just him saying 'I think [some shite]'? Like, has he done any research or interviews or anything, or is it just 'I am famous and successful, therefore whatever thoughts I put to paper are good and worth publishing'?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1357645273753919488

I've not heard of Michael Dugher before, but he seems like the perfect person to be leading the Betting and Gaming Council, 'a standards body committed to championing safer gambling.'

(tldr: he has a habit of mocking gambling addicts, and also just being a nasty oval office in general).

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I always thought received wisdom was NEVER accept a caution, as it's just used by the police as an easy way to deal with someone without going through the hassle of a formal charge, particularly in cases of protests and civil disobedience etc.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Tom Allen is just the loving worst. I swear whenever I turn the telly on there's a 50% chance I'll see his loving smug smirking face, despite the fact that his jokes are drastically unamusing, and he has absolutely no delivery. I guess his agents know that if they just constantly ram him down our throats he will eventually become a-list and therefore good and therefore rich and therefore profitable.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
tbf I'm impressed that the government have actually come out and said DON'T BOOK A HOLIDAY. Are they finally learning that repeatedly over-promising and under-delivering is not a good way to go?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
So I have a childhood friend who is now a hospital doctor, working in the UK. Throughout all of lockdown(s) he has not given a poo poo about covid restrictions, and in a group call last night he mentioned that a) he had friends over to his house the previous evening (to experience his VR headset, which I imagine is pretty unsanitary in and of itself) and b) that he and his wife are going on a sneaky UK AirBnB break in the next couple of weeks.

Obviously he's acting like a oval office, but my question is whether he is indicative of a wider trend of medical professionals somehow exempting themselves form the rules, or whether he's an aberration. Any UK medi-goons care to comment?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That's not a medic getting burnt out, that's a medic with no regard for human life

Yeah, that's the long and short of it. I mean, he has worked throughout the pandemic, and has definitely been working in the worst possible environments (ICU etc.), so to some extent he has been through it, but as you say, this is not a result of burn out.

Also worth noting that both he and his wife have had the virus, so now there's an extra layer of justification-armour.

I think it is highly unlikely I am going to grass - a few off-hand comments on WhatsApp and Zoom calls etc. over the last year is hardly a solid body of evidence.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
If you could complain to the GMC anonymously I would probably do that, because I am a coward. However, you need to submit your name and details, and I'm just not prepared to have my name written down on some paper work which could potentially end the career of someone I've been friends with for 20 years.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Only fist your doctor, trusts will never help you.

That is loving amazing.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Nick Cohen is clearly an awful person, but the doctor exporting scheme does seem to be verifiably a bad thing, unless I'm missing something signficant?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
To be clear, this is not second hand evidence. It is straight from the horses mouth. And to be clear again, he and his wife have had covid in the last two months, but the rule breaking has gone on the entire time.

He is an extremely smart, rational and ultimately selfish individual, and the social shaming that we've subjected him him to is like water off a ducks back.

If course NHS workers have it extremely tough, but they should still obey the same rules as everyone else, even if at times the rules are arbitrary or inconsistent. I think this is doubly the case for medical professionals ; the people he had round weren't medics, and neither are most of their other friends. If they see that a doctor is happy to break the rules, what do you think the ripple effects of that are going to be?

I think covid rule breaking is like deciding you're gonna race your car through a country village. Your rational smart brain has made the decision 'I am a good driver, and it I speed through this village it is unlikely that I will hit anyone (though even if I do, it's even more unlikely that I will come to any harm), therefore I shall speed through the village.' just as with wearing masks, or not, all the selfish decisions you make are ones which will detrimentally affect others, not you.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Coolcab, are all crimes more forgivable when committed by NHS staff?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

CoolCab posted:

mate, i've tried to avoid responding to you directly as i don't think i would be enormously kind.

Um, alright. What have I done wrong, out of interest?

(e: and answer the question you COWARD)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Just block YouTube, loving hell, it's the devil. There's enough content on iplayer and other streaming services for kids that won't turn them into Nazis.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
The Facebook VR headset sounds creepy as gently caress - it demands your accurate personal details, and they'll brick your device if you use false ones, and it also maps and remembers every room you use it in, including the contents of that room.

Maybe all headsets are like that, but that's way too invasive for my liking.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Hi camrath, probably shouldn't be using this thread as customer service, but I ordered mine on the 5th of Feb, but I have not had any delicious fudge crammed through my letterbox yet. Do you know how long it takes to assume the delivery company have let me down?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
It's an interesting question : does the fact that others are suffering more than you invalidate any grief you might feel about your own situation? Like, is ANYONE entitled to ever feel sorry for themselves in the developed world, when bombs are being dropped on other people who are objectively worse off?

I think the answer is 'yes', even though it is helpful to put your own suffering in perspective.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I'm watching the new Adam Curtis, and it is predictably good, in a Curtis sort of way.

However, I've realised that his voice is very similar to Keir Starmers, or at least to the guy who does those amazing Keir starmer rap covers. I'll never be able to unhear it.

More importantly, my fudge has arrived, and we've already got through one pack, despite an original pledge of 'just one piece per day'.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Marr this morning is full of newspapers and interviews about ending lockdown, going back to the pub, throwing open the school gates etc. It's just loving mental. Will we never learn?!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Feel like Emma Barnett is definitely going to end up working for the government soon

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ndroidApp_Other

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"Actually, I was being pedantic in a slightly different way from the pedantry which you have pedantically highlighted - maybe you should try being less pedantic?" I said, pedantically.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

It's from "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared" a very weird, dark and entertaining youtube series. It's essentially a mock up of various "fuzzy animal learns about things" programming from the 90's and early 2000's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9FGgwCQ22w

This is an absolute pro watch btw. Completely blew my mind the first time I saw it. There's not really anything else like it out there.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Tbh, and judging solely based on popping out this afternoon, the horse has already bolted so far as keeping people locked down is concerned. Loads of big groups on country walks, multiple neighbours clearly with family or friends round their house, and at least one biker gang or club or whatever you call them out on a jolly down to the coast.

Good weather + the entirety of the British press baying for restrictions to be eased = lock downs over baby, awooooga!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

That it was intended as a joke is obvious, that it being funny is predicated on a consistent unwillingness to engage with why people think the things they think and reduce it to mere reflexive hostility is only further evidence that you are bad at posting.

To be fair, he immediately conceded that it was 'ill-judged'.

We all make bad posts from time to time, but I think piling in on someone who not only instantly apologised, but also has a track record of actually expanding and developing their views based on posting in this thread, is harsh and unconstructive.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
It's difficult not to be excited about seeing my family again, or having a pint in a pub garden. The moral conflict is terrible.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm sort of curious about a summary of why it's insane but I'm not going to waste my time or emotional energy watching something that's just going to wind me up.

Me too. I actively avoid truther/conspiracy poo poo because it makes me feel really miserable, angry and uncomfortable.

e: I have now watched it based on the previous comments. It's not crazy, just a bit poo poo.

The Perfect Element fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 23, 2021

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I have to take my daughter to a hospital appointment at Evelina in London tomorrow, so for the first time in my life I'm driving into central London. I thought that, with a toddler and a global pandemic, maybe that would be preferable to going in on public transport, but now I feel like I might be being stupid. The parking costs £20, the congestion charge is £15, and according to Google it's gonna take me like over 2 hours to get there. I could have got the train for £12 return, and it would have only taken ~ 1 hour.

Thread, am I a twat? (for the purposes of this post and this post only!!!!)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Me and my friends have a weekly online poker game, $5 buy in. We all play really loosely, have a lot of fun, and for all of us it's genuinely the highlight of our weeks.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Labour positioning themselves against the tories on raising corporation tax is just melting my loving mind. Like... Do they seriously think that a bunch of HARD HEADED BUSINESSMEN are gonna look at that and think 'Hm yes, labour are the party for me, not these bleeding heart tories' and then not only vote for Labour, but for whatever swing they envisage resulting from it being significant enough that it skews them more towards power in four years time AAARGH!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
People should just stop empty posting poo poo tweets. Or there should be some kind of threshold of how many retweets or likes it's had. Don't inflict lukewarm takes from anonymous no marks on us in OUR great British mega thread.