Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jose posted:

Lol who could for predicted this? Wonder how "it's just the flu" people will spin it

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...HI8eeMwqaJA58C8

They'll ignore it. The 'just the flu' people's view is it's no more serious than the flu - this changes nothing for them. they probably know that's not true but want to find a way to excuse their wants/behaviours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mobile phones: John Lewis. You can price match with them against competitors (and the phones you’re looking at will all be about the same everywhere) and you get their 2 year warranty free.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Perfect Element posted:

My wife used to work for a trendy recruitment agency (who, of course, were all utterly horrible, mercenary cunts), and they allowed staff to have 2x 'duvet days' per year, where you were just allowed to ring in and say you couldn't be hosed. Of course, given that this was an organisation where you were castigated if you didn't get in an hour early and leave an hour late every day (at least), I imagine this perk was pretty much never used, or caveated so far up the arse that it effectively wasn't worth it.

Same as those tech companies out in SV who announced there was no longer any holiday quota, employees could just take time off whenever they wanted, unlimited holiday!

You'll be surprised to hear that days off shrank massively!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

happyhippy posted:

Was a term for narcissistic actors, thinking they were the best thing ever in theater and whole show revolved around them, usually by referencing other better actors.
And yeah, meaning changed over the years.
Similar as Diva, used to be an insult for annoying demanding opera singers and such, now almost a term of strength for being loud.

And Diva has gone full circle - it used to (like Prima Donna) refer to a revered opera singer, then went to mean 'demanding opera singer', and now it's gone back.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Failed Imagineer posted:

The easiest way to provoke someone to a fight or tears has always been calling them a "loving child". Don't entirely know why, but it cuts people deep so use carefully lol

I do something similar, "god, you're boring", but I'm also a fan of "you weird oval office" - people seem to fixate on the 'weird' part.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

stev posted:

I honestly have no idea how he got a lifetime spot on Mock the Week, I don't think he's ever managed to raise even the faintest smile from my lips.

He has the energy of a boomer dad who had a midlife crisis, quit his job and decided to pursue a career in stand up despite never having spoken publicly before while living on rental income.

I think part of the answer might lie with the previously linked agencies.

You want Dara Ó Briain or Rob Beckett (Tom Allen if you can't afford him) on your show? Sure, you can - but you have to take Andy Parsons too, or someone else from the stable.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gorn Myson posted:

My brother was banging on about Off Menu for ages and when I finally did give it a listen I really enjoyed it, but I remember scrolling through the feed, seeing Jessflaps name pop up and going noooope.

Even her selection is poo poo and predictable. Of course she'd go with a full English. Thats what her whole image is about.

Full English, but none of them Heinz Beanz - supermarket own-brand is good enough for me!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

In fairness, I don't think she could possible have foreseen....

oh.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

CoolCab posted:

plus, and this is something that happens every pandemic and has already happened this pandemic, even. while everything is closed there is an enormous demand - if 10% of the pubs opened they'd serve record business. problem with this demand is that it represents a minority - those who are not taking the restrictions as seriously or are not afraid of the virus. lets say they represent a third of the population - a third of the population over 10% of the pubs is a banner year.

the majority of the population however, or at least a very large chunk, might go out and have a meal or two as a performative lockdown farewell or special occasion or something but will otherwise drastically change their behaviour - no one wants to go see sonic 2 at the cost of £11 and their lung function. this means that when everything opens you have a third of the population over all of the pubs, and everything catastrophically starts failing.

the government wants this because it would mean they're not paying furlough or other financial support, but it pushes the hospitality sector from coma to death.

The bolded part especially - they're already floating the idea of "what about if pubs open but couldn't serve alcohol" which is a very transparent skip away from "well, you've chosen not to open even though you're allowed, so no furlough payable to you!"

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

They might be dropping packets, but our Bits and Bytes are now BRITISH Bits and Bytes and they're much happier for it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Right to Silence in England and Wales:

- your right to silence does not extend to refusing to give passwords to electronic devices.

I didn't know this, I thought you could decline to provide a password (hence smarter to use than biometrics), but that's probably from reading American internet.

I'm assuming this is one of the many, many things they've pushed through as 'anti-terrorism', of course.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bessantj posted:

Tbh I was glad he was on his phone playing music so I had something to listen to while I cleaned up.

That reminded me of a shift where we had completed the job but still had 3 hours left in the shift so the guy in charge said we'd go and do some ballast work on a piece of track that was going to get ripped up in five days time because we were, as he put it, "on my time." Which was loving stupid because he could have got to go home early as well. He just wanted to look good for his bosses even if the work was completely pointless. Something about maximising value and productivity makes people come up with insane ideas.

It all comes down to lazy management / people who don't know how to manage. As they've never been shown they manage the only way they can - by monitoring the time spent on 'tasks', rather than the outcomes.

I don't know how true it is, but I've read that the idea of paying for 'time' from workers in general wasn't really a thing until the invention of the assembly line and affordable clocks, until then people would be paid a piecemeal rate depending on bushels of corn collected etc.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jose posted:

maybe you just have a different view of reputable than the rest of the world

Nah, Trin is right. To the average barrister, your little issue isn't worth a barrister's licence / opening themselves up to personal prosecution / anything that isn't just "get paid for the job". But they make super boring TV.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

In shocking news, this guy has just confirmed that the Monster Munch shape is canonically a claw, not a monster. I’m personally saddened by this news, being part of team monster, but there we have it.

Another UKMT legend put to rest.

He promises to come back next Wednesday to tell us about mini cheddars.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OzyMandrill posted:

Death of the author, mofo! Once the creative work is released into public domain the original intent is insignificant compared to all the other meanings that the current viewing public put upon it. Team monster lives on!

Excellent point - I'll let him know that he has no authority here. no authority at all.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Niric posted:

Even if the ban expires they'll still need to issue a new section 21 eviction notice, dated from after any law changes. If they're sending you a 3 month notice now in the expectation that the law will change within the next 3 months then I'm pretty that wouldn't be enforceable. Send a polite letter back saying that because have given less than the legal minimum notice you will not be complying with their demand, and keep a copy of it.

Would gonzo not be better off not sending them a response, because that gives them a chance to correct it?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gonzo McFee posted:

I've found and am viewing a nicer flat tomorrow so I'm okay with it.

In that case that's excellent! Hope the viewing goes well.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

we have always been at war with etc

This is literally just advertorial, fascinating! I can't believe they've stooped quite as low as this (the indy, not the government, obvs).

quote:

Commercial content.
“In association with”

This content has been paid for by an advertiser, but it is controlled by Independent.co.uk’s editorial staff. In some instances, an advertiser may provide funding for content that we already plan to produce (e.g. rugby match reports). Alternatively, the advertiser’s funding could help us to produce content that would not otherwise have been generated. Advertisers can suggest topics and their logo will normally appear at the top of the article. However, we produce the content and decide whether to publish it. It must comply with our editorial Code of Conduct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I, too, visit hospitals during a highly contagious pandemic as a precautionary measure.