Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Germany is doing a big ol' "vaccination summit" today since the rollout has been quite a mess due to supply shortages.
We have capacities in place to vaccinate roughly 3 million folks per month (so 6 million doses administered/month), but we've been chugging along at 60k-100k doses per day, so now Angie is planning to spin the hammer around a bit.

I'm not entirely sure how this is supposed to increase the output of vaccine doses, so all I see coming out of this is cause analysis and a very stern waving of the finger...? :confuoot:

America's in a very similar position where we generally *think* the bottleneck is currently vaccine production, but the Trump administration never put in any kind of infrastructure to track doses once they actually arrived at the local areas. The Biden folks don't know if anywhere up to 20M doses are sitting on a shelf or in arms somewhere, as the trump people specifically set up things to take zero risk and all credit, regardless if the local states/counties knew what they were doing or not.

So I have one parent in one county that I got scheduled (online appointments opened at a set time and I slogged through a laggy server to do it) and another parent in another county that only has a mystery "hold your place" signup system.

All while everyone's like GET YOUR SHOT ASAP, IT'S SAFE because the overall government has to tamp down the antivaxxer poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
also lol looks like everyone trying to cash in on wsb shenanigans broke reddit

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

America's in a very similar position where we generally *think* the bottleneck is currently vaccine production, but the Trump administration never put in any kind of infrastructure to track doses once they actually arrived at the local areas. The Biden folks don't know if anywhere up to 20M doses are sitting on a shelf or in arms somewhere, as the trump people specifically set up things to take zero risk and all credit, regardless if the local states/counties knew what they were doing or not.

So I have one parent in one county that I got scheduled (online appointments opened at a set time and I slogged through a laggy server to do it) and another parent in another county that only has a mystery "hold your place" signup system.

All while everyone's like GET YOUR SHOT ASAP, IT'S SAFE because the overall government has to tamp down the antivaxxer poo poo.

I'm apt to go with "not enough doses" as the problem. My area has the space and capability to put needles in arms, but not enough doses for needles. We have vaccine sites that are closed over the weekend. They have enough people to run the place, just nothing to give people.

Most places "reservation" system is garbage. While it helps things, it isn't completely necessary. I've also heard (anecdotal) about doses being "wasted" due to the constraints on storage. If ANYTHING happens to disrupt the line, doses are wasted due to spoilage. I would be really curious to hear about how quickly we make/made this vaccine.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Coasterphreak posted:

Kraken has been up and down and slow since last Wednesday, same with coinbase. I couldn't log into Fidelity or Vanguard Thursday or Friday.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Coasterphreak posted:

Silver lining

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Cops in Rochester NY also pepper sprayed a handcuffed 9 year old they were supposedly rescuing from a domestic situation in the back of a car then locked her in there while screaming “stop acting like a child.”

:911:

Oh also the police union said it was cool and what about the cop’s mental health.

Excellent country we have.

This makes me quite agitated thank you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Cops in Rochester NY also pepper sprayed a handcuffed 9 year old they were supposedly rescuing from a domestic situation in the back of a car then locked her in there while screaming “stop acting like a child.”

:911:

Oh also the police union said it was cool and what about the cop’s mental health.

Excellent country we have.

We can't loving reform these asshats.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ASAPI posted:

I'm apt to go with "not enough doses" as the problem. My area has the space and capability to put needles in arms, but not enough doses for needles. We have vaccine sites that are closed over the weekend. They have enough people to run the place, just nothing to give people.

Most places "reservation" system is garbage. While it helps things, it isn't completely necessary. I've also heard (anecdotal) about doses being "wasted" due to the constraints on storage. If ANYTHING happens to disrupt the line, doses are wasted due to spoilage. I would be really curious to hear about how quickly we make/made this vaccine.

I'm not willing to give that kind of pass to the slimy shitheads that were in control for the last four years. My personal gut feeling is that this is incompetence in record-keeping combined with creative coverup bookkeeping. The vaccine is high enough profile that they felt they could extract something in exchange for it. Whether straight up bribes in to their pockets or "maybe my friends who vote for XYZ will get special consideration, don't you think?" wink wink nudge nudge stuff. Zero proof of any of that, just what I've come to expect from these fuckers.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1356096126739472399

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I hate giving the benefit of the doubt to Joe but I could easily believe that on top of usual incompetence the Trump administration straight up sabotaged some poo poo on the way out. What blows my mind is how decorum poisoned the current administration is acting in regards to all of this but I guess it’s trying to keep the vaccine rollout as bipartisan as possible. I watched one of the briefings and even though the press secretary was quoting Joe you could tell from the tone that they weren’t necessarily left in a peachy keen situation when they took over.

Edit: Holy poo poo that dude is dumb as gently caress and is probably getting paid out the rear end to just sling dumbshit on a small stage. How do I land a gig like that? Weak rear end cops got their poo poo handed to them by a 9yo what the gently caress?

Cenen fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 1, 2021

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

That Works posted:

Silver lining

In 2011, my entire squadron was talking about silver in the same way everyone is talking about gamestonk now. One lieutenant, who I'm pretty sure had a degree in like, history, wrote a newsletter about silver trading options.

There was a conservative bent to it all, because those drat [democrats] in Washington were spending all of our money and we would need to wheelbarrow "fiat" money to get bread soon.

They convinced my NCOIC, who had north of 15k in student loans at 3.5% APR, to shovel 10k in deployment money at, and I'm not exaggerating, the peak of that 2011 run. He losted roughly half his investment in 3 months.

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 1, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every single time someone mentions senate bipartisanship the response should just be, Merrick Garland, Amy Barret and then swiftly ignore whatever else can be ignored after that.

There is no way that the GOP plays the same game with a 50/50 senate and Pence up there, 0 chance.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sacrist65 posted:

In 2011, my entire squadron was talking about silver in the same way everyone is talking about gamestonk now. One lieutenant, who I'm pretty sure had a degree in like, history, wrote a newsletter about silver trading options.

There was a conservative bent to it all, because those drat [democrats] in Washington were spending all of our money and we would need to wheelbarrow "fiat" money to get bread soon.

They convinced my NCOIC, who had north of 15k in student loans at 3.5% APR, to shovel 10k im deployment money at, and I'm not exaggerating, the peak of that 2011 run. He losted roughly half his investment in 3 months.

Oh I meant silver lining that Reddit would be destroyed but lmao that's an awesome story and also I guess reddit is trying to do some squeeze on the silver market as well today?

Christ.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ASAPI posted:

Virginia has a ton of doses and a ton of empty vaccination sites so there’s an issue there that’s “none of the above.” My wife was allowed onto the reservation site but there are no appointments available within the next month.

My guess is that they’re still being insanely precious about which sites get to administer the vaccines. The cold storage requirements aren’t nearly onerous enough to justify stockpiling the vaccines; both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines can last for weeks with standard equipment or dry ice boxes.

Another thought is that the distribution plans didn’t account for a refusal rate of 40-60% (or greater) for Tier 1 folks so those vaccines are just sitting there without a way to be redistributed to counties that can use them.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 1, 2021

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

That Works posted:

Oh I meant silver lining that Reddit would be destroyed but lmao that's an awesome story and also I guess reddit is trying to do some squeeze on the silver market as well today?

Christ.

From what I can tell, monied interests are trying to manufacture tulip mania by saying the unwashed hordes of reddit autists are doing a "Hunt Brothers " and cornering the silver market and now is your one chance to get in on the ground floor of this amazing oppurtunity.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Senate GOP proposal is such a wet fart that it's an insult to sulphur and/or moisture.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1356243961405444100?s=19

It's a third of what Biden wants, with no state/local aid, lower checks, cut-but-extended unemployment, and is probably so lovely that Manchin/Sinema yell about how lovely it is. It's got more bad faith than evangelism.

So that's an actual positive!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

How do grown men fail to control a nine‐year‐old girl without using weapons?

Does she have a genetic abnormality that makes her ridiculously buff like this dog?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Apparently the cops answer to the age old question of how many children can you beat in a fight is 0, because I see no reason why oc spray should enter the equation otherwise

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I can’t get over how poo poo the whole press conference is. Guy is dressed like it’s casual Friday just kind of winging it like you can tell even he doesn’t believe the bullshit he is slinging to cover up an officer of the law being unable to safely place a 9yo girl in the backseat of a squad car without the use of handcuffs and pepper spray. I’ve seen episodes of Cops where they managed to get fit grown men on drugs in the back of the car with just a couple of cops and some handcuffs. Just a whole lot that doesn’t add up but for sure that cop is getting put on paid leave and then will get back pay after they investigate and find no wrong doing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1356240892844072964

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
These fuckers are worse than literally almost every bouncer that ever existed. They shouldn't even get minimum wage, poo poo.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Cenen posted:

First you place your bets on whether or not the checks will get cut, and then if it is received before the Super Bowl you use the stimulus to bet against Brady. This is what passes for sound economic advice in 2021.

I kind of can’t believe the Super Bowl is even happening, like is it reduced capacity? Who is doing the halftime show? Then I remember it’s in Florida and lol just lol they are going to jam pack that stadium while not enforcing any mask wearing or social distancing while someone lazy shoots you with a temp gun at the entrance but waves you through no matter what the temp reads unless you are non-white.

I just moved away from it last week, but I lived in the literal shadow of the raymond james stadium and if the regular gameday crowd is any indication there will be very few people wearing masks, thousands milling in the streets and tailgate areas (and parking in people's yards for 100 bucks a spot). They put up a fuckload of security stuff and a 24 hour cop presence on every corner about a month ago too. The football crowd in this city suuuuuucks (its every city, fottball fans are the worst)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

not caring here posted:

These fuckers are worse than literally almost every bouncer that ever existed. They shouldn't even get minimum wage, poo poo.

Bouncers and the places that hire them probably have to worry about being sued

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

They put up a fuckload of security stuff and a 24 hour cop presence on every corner about a month ago too. The football crowd in this city suuuuuucks (its every city, fottball fans are the worst)

Is where the stadium located the kind of place that would riot if the Buccaneers won? Super Bowl super spreader event on top of super spreader event. 100% chance that either team that wins will still have a parade.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Fallom posted:

Virginia has a ton of doses and a ton of empty vaccination sites so there’s an issue there that’s “none of the above.” My wife was allowed onto the reservation site but there are no appointments available within the next month.

My guess is that they’re still being insanely precious about which sites get to administer the vaccines. The cold storage requirements aren’t nearly onerous enough to justify stockpiling the vaccines; both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines can last for weeks with standard equipment or dry ice boxes.

Another thought is that the distribution plans didn’t account for a refusal rate of 40-60% (or greater) for Tier 1 folks so those vaccines are just sitting there without a way to be redistributed to counties that can use them.

Refusal rate would be interesting to see.

My parents live in VA. My mom is group 1B, she received 3 different invites for the shot. If she got three different invites, part of the issue may be allocation there.

This is like watching a video of someone getting hit in the nuts on slow mode and pointing out everything that is setting up the dude for pain. This roll out was a giant mess from day one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anecdotally the refusal rate for the pediatric clinic she works at is about 50%, which seems crazy to me because kids have no qualms about sneezing directly into your mouth and laughing about it.

The other thing that seems crazy to me is that a pediatric clinic has zero privileged access to vaccinations.

The average refusal rate may be going down as more people see that taking the vaccine doesn’t make your brain hemorrhage out your nose.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cenen posted:

Is where the stadium located the kind of place that would riot if the Buccaneers won? Super Bowl super spreader event on top of super spreader event. 100% chance that either team that wins will still have a parade.

Desantis would mandate it on the off chance to kill more minorities

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
It is actually been rolling out pretty well here in Texas in the last couple of weeks. My father and grandfather both got theirs 2 weeks ago and they are very high risk and I got mine on Friday as a medium-risk.

It was done by all volunteers. They processed at least a thousand people while I was there in half an hour or so. All in vehicle.

I got the Pfizer jab and felt like I had a hangover for 2 days. it's Texas so the only reason it worked out smoothly is the volunteers. If the local government tried to do it I'd be buying it behind buc-ee's from an electrical contractor.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bird cooch posted:

It is actually been rolling out pretty well here in Texas in the last couple of weeks. My father and grandfather both got theirs 2 weeks ago and they are very high risk and I got mine on Friday as a medium-risk.

It was done by all volunteers. They processed at least a thousand people while I was there in half an hour or so. All in vehicle.

I got the Pfizer jab and felt like I had a hangover for 2 days. it's Texas so the only reason it worked out smoothly is the volunteers. If the local government tried to do it I'd be buying it behind buc-ee's from an electrical contractor.

Interesting, my TX experience has equated to "wait until they unfuck things so I can get a shot"

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Man all this fascist 'thin blue line' imagery is insane to me. Not news to anyone in this thread, but it's straight up just a flag of white supremacy.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Initial vaccine refusal rate for workers at senior living/care facilities was upwards of 70% in some locations. It’s since gone down thanks to a very intense and personal persuasion campaign, but vaccine skepticism is still too high among certain elements of the medical community- not necessarily among doctors and nurses, but those who work in support roles.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Initial vaccine refusal rate for workers at senior living/care facilities was upwards of 70% in some locations. It’s since gone down thanks to a very intense and personal persuasion campaign, but vaccine skepticism is still too high among certain elements of the medical community- not necessarily among doctors and nurses, but those who work in support roles.

That is insane. Does anyone know if the split is occurring along a specific line? Do they just hate Trump and don't trust it or are they hard core and feel vaccinnes are "infringing on their rights?"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

In FDRs first couple weeks on office the entire us banking system was first shut down for a couple days then reopened in a dramatically reformed way that is still the basis for modern financial regulation. Absolutely absurd that Joe is not only pretending to match that energy but exceed it 10x.

https://www.federalreservehistory.org/essays/emergency-banking-act-of-1933

Joe is currently hesitating to pass a wildly popular stimulus bill in comparison.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Still happy these keep rolling in.

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1356246369086959617

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fart Sandwiches posted:

if the regular gameday crowd is any indication there will be very few people wearing masks, thousands milling in the streets and tailgate areas (and parking in people's yards for 100 bucks a spot).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVAZvsXQeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBqY-4oDWAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW_jsS_JnMY

Milo and POTUS posted:

Bouncers and the places that hire them probably have to worry about being sued

Bouncers do better policing than the police IME.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The VA in Wichita seems to be doing well with the rollout. I am high risk and was originally scheduled for March 11th. I got a call last week and my appointment was moved to Feb 11th. When the nurse called I mentioned that I live 10 minutes away and if there were any cancellations I could come in. She said they have had only one no-show.
The city, however, is still at 80 years old+ and front line workers only.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Cenen posted:

it's in old people suburbia like 5 miles away from downtown. If there's rioting it's just a buncha people's houses gonna get torched (another reason I'm glad I moved).

edit: i guess the strip clubs and fast food restaurants a mile away would be a target

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 1, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

ASAPI posted:

That is insane. Does anyone know if the split is occurring along a specific line? Do they just hate Trump and don't trust it or are they hard core and feel vaccinnes are "infringing on their rights?"

This WaPo article goes into greater detail but here’s relevant quotes:

quote:

David Grabowski, a Harvard University health policy professor, said the numbers shouldn’t surprise anyone familiar with long-term care facilities, where low wages and poor labor conditions — and earlier missteps fighting the coronavirus pandemic — have created a well of mistrust, especially among the Black and Latino workers who dominate the industry.

“This is a forgotten workforce that hasn’t been treated well for years,” Grabowski said. “We’ve been slow with [personal protective equipment], we’ve been slow with hazard pay, and all of a sudden now, they want to go fast with vaccinations. . . . There’s good reason they’re so distrustful.”

quote:

DeWitt said he called dozens of the facility’s workers and found many had been influenced by online misinformation about the vaccine and mistrust of the medical establishment, fueled by historical abuses like the Tuskegee syphilis study and the ongoing lack of access to medical care in Baltimore’s communities of color.

“These folks don’t even have access to a doctor when they’re sick. Then suddenly you say, ‘Show up in a parking lot and get this mysterious vaccine.’ It’s hard for them to trust you,” DeWitt said. “People of color have become very pessimistic about being guinea pigs.”

It’s really unfortunate, but understandable in context. Fortunately it does seem that the personal persuasion touches by supervisors and colleagues is helping to reverse this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Myanmar has a coup is underway, military arrested both president and vice president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are we gonna have to change the maps again