Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's ted cruz so I assume the title was how to serve americans
IT'S A COOKBOOK! :kingsley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
But don't you see‽ All AOC wants to do is attack Republicans, why can't they work across the aisle :downs:

https://twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1355411889946128385?s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Might be worth staying on Facebook if it means you might spot incriminating evidence of dangerous folks taking about hurting people so you can report it to the FBI :shrug:

Maybe the FBI won't do anything, but better to raise the issue than to just tune out.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Then vaccinate teachers before the olds. This shouldn't be that hard.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I can't speak to the science of the risk of school spread, but the resulting policy recommendation is inherently political. Excepting those populations in assisted living who have no option or ability to follow guidelines, seniors absolutely should be behind the essential workers who we are demanding put their own lives at risk to serve us. Even if current studies suggest they're at marginally lower risk of death than a senior who is either irresponsible or tragically has an irresponsible family, the frontline worker either deserves vaccination priority or generous hazard pay and proper investment in making their workplaces safer.

Literally no one here is "mocking low-income families for wanting their kids to be back in school" (wtf?). Some are underrating the importance of childhood education. But if you're concerned about the kids, then take care of the teachers rather than seeking to write them off as "less likely" to be impacted by Covid.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Biden’s remarks are nowhere on the WaPo or NYTs websites, for that matter.
Wait, wait, wait, you're telling me "Breaking911" is a questionable source of news and might just be trotting out gun nut clickbait that might be a hyperbolic misrepresentation at best and invented whole cloth at worst?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

If it’s all in God’s hands, what do Christians think of red states getting demolished once Trump gets acquitted?
~*~gOd WoRkS iN mYsTeRiOuS wAyS, iT's NoT oUr PlAcE tO qUeStIoN hIs DiViNe PlAN~*~

So, basically the victims of gaslighting by a serial abuser.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I had my former step dad, who was as conservative as you would expect a lifelong oil and gas engineer to be, making me listen to it in the car and telling me how Rush was comedy in 2008 or so.
My aunt is the same way for Hannity.

It's always "well, they're just an entertainer!" when proven incontrovertibly wrong, yet every word is taken as the gospel truth up until then. And folks are increasingly resistant to accepting truth, up to and including their "entertainer" publicly recanting and admitting being wrong ("well, they were just forced to say that by the globalists!").

There's a degree to which the same occurs across the political spectrum and folks should be vigilant about calling out that kind of thinking wherever they see it, but it's vastly more prominent on the right.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1363512058025762816?s=19

[Insert inappropriate comment about James Hodgkinson here]

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Countdown to the deathgrille drivers force one off the road for chud reasons
I could legit see broke-brained Q folk going crazy over it.

:tinfoil:: "Do you know why it has that large windshield? So the pedophile driver can look at children!! The USPS is a roving child abduction service for the globalists! Quick, attack the trucks and rescue the children trapped inside!"

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Not an immediately-post-anesthesia experience, but had a fun time a couple days after a major surgery with general anesthesia. I was still hopped up on some powerful meds and woke one morning to find I was standing upright on a blood-splattered floor, having removed one of my IVs. On top of that was a rapidly fading delusion that I was the protagonist in L. Ron Hubbard's "Mission: Earth" series and urgently needed to pursue the antagonist (which I announced loudly). Hooboy did that all freak some people out.

On the plus side, easily the most painless IV removal I've ever had. Didn't feel it coming out and zero irritation afterwards.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

What exactly has Israel done wrong? Because the story I hear is that western libs are angry Israel isn't invading Palestine to forcibly vaccinate them.
Because Israel is an Apartheid state that is overtly abstaining from providing for those under it's occupation as part of it's long-standing campaign of low-key genocide/ethnic cleansing against the Palestinians. They're currently at the point where vaccination rates among vulnerable Jewish Israelis are high enough that they're cynically sending off pallets of vaccines to the handful of non-US countries that back them in international forums. They've also actively impeded efforts to provide the vaccines to Palestinians.

From Doctors Without Borders:

quote:

As a medic, I am shocked. The internationally acclaimed COVID-19 vaccination success of Israel has a dark side: the consequences of which are being felt cruelly in the West Bank Palestinian territory where I work, and in the blockaded Gaza Strip where my MSF colleagues work. ...

To make that clearer, you are over 60 times more likely to have a vaccination in Israel than in Palestine. According to the Geneva Conventions, Israel has a responsibility as an occupying power to ensure the medical supplies of the occupied population, including “adoption and application of the prophylactic and preventative measures necessary to combat the spread of contagious diseases and epidemics” to “the fullest extent of the means available to it.” ...

Israel is an occupying power, and has millions of vaccines. Palestine is the occupied territory, and has barely a few thousand vaccines. As a medic, I don’t really care who sorts this out. As a medic, I do care deeply that the most vulnerable are prioritized. I am left with this shameful thought echoing in my mind—60 times more likely to be vaccinated in Israel than in Palestine, with the most vulnerable in Palestine still left unprotected.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
South Dakota AG got too talkative for his own good when interviewed by the police over his murdering a pedestrian.
https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1364451013948661764

quote:

At one point, investigators said that a pair of broken glasses was found inside the attorney general's car and that the glasses could have gotten there only by Boever's face entering through the windshield.

"We know that his face came through your windshield," one of the investigators said, in an exchange reported by South Dakota Public Broadcasting. "That's, I would think, substantially clear that that's what happened. We also have the imprint on the hood where his body, part of his body, likely was riding. At some point [in] time, he rolls off, takes out the mirror and slides into the ditch."

Investigators also questioned Ravnsborg about whether he had been distracted by his cellphone, at one point saying they had data showing he had logged in to his Yahoo email account and pulled up a RealClearPolitics article just minutes before he called 911 to report the crash.

"When we look at that, our concern is, everything that we're seeing here is, it's appearing you were on your phone reading political stuff at the time," one said.
Of course, he only faces misdemeanor charges because this country treats automotive violence with kids' gloves. If he hadn't blathered on and self-incriminated some, he'd have probably walked away from killing someone because our society has largely accepted that's just the cost of modern living.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

This would make sense if it weren't for all the empty houses. There isn't a scarcity of housing, there is an overabundance of greedy fucks who are bad at math
Many of those "empty houses" are in places people don't want to live (dead/dying towns). The rest is on the market, with the seller/leaser thinking they can hold out for someone who will pay their price. Right now, vacancies are so low they're almost always right. By constructing new and better housing options, those greedy fucks are stuck either pissing money away on the unoccupied property or lowering their prices to pull in those that might go elsewhere.

The state absolutely should be actively building/managing homes in places where the market is loving over all but the rich (and not just subsidizing private entities to do so). Hell, could even build "market rate" homes and use the profit toward more/better affordable options.

The reason these state projects failed in the past wasn't that the idea was inherently bad, but that the implementation ended up being "let's concentrate these poor minorities in a small area away from the rich and without meaningful economic opportunity." Affordable housing needs to be put where people want to live and work and that means not segregating it away. That means smashing the anti-neighbor NIMBYism that pervades even self-styled progressive areas.

Here's a Toronto neighborhood opposing 64-units of affordable housing because the parking lot it would replace is "the hub of the community" and "this isn't the kind of neighborhood for affordable housing":
https://twitter.com/KamilKaramali/status/1365498132033863680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

Hey I think it's a good thing that a general strike is being discussed as a possibility. Why people want to shout down that kind of suggestion by acknowledging that it would be a massive endeavor is beyond me.
Uhh, I'd wager that UP THE BUM NO BABY's statement that a general strike would take work and organization in advance wasn't intended to shout down the idea, but to encourage, you know, work and organization in advance. Without it, movements will fracture and disintegrate after any momentarily catalyzing event. If you're looking to catch lightning, it's best to be prepared ahead of time.