Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Best Friends posted:

In FDRs first couple weeks on office the entire us banking system was first shut down for a couple days then reopened in a dramatically reformed way that is still the basis for modern financial regulation. Absolutely absurd that Joe is not only pretending to match that energy but exceed it 10x.

https://www.federalreservehistory.org/essays/emergency-banking-act-of-1933

Joe is currently hesitating to pass a wildly popular stimulus bill in comparison.

Democrats had a 21 seat advantage in the Senate and a nearly two hundred seat advantage in the House in 1933, no poo poo it was easier to pass legislation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I feel there's a good chance that Biden has now spent more time negotiating directly with Senate Republicans than Trump did.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There used to be a Borders and a movie theater right next to each other within a short walking distance of my house back in high school, it was great.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Manchin not wanting $15 is asinine, but that doesn't mean it's dead. That is going to depend on how the rest of the negotiations go, what happens during the amendment process, and whether he's willing to kill the entire bill over the minimum wage increase. Best case scenario he's just covering his rear end, and will still vote along with the bill while doing his best Collins impression of being "concerned" over some of the contents.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

I'm more pissed that Cal Cunningham couldn't keep his loving dick in his pants and Schumer elevated him. We wouldn't even need to worry about Manchin (except if he teamed up with Sinema) if it wasn't for that dumb bullshit.

Gideon in Maine less so, apparently she was just more of a terrible candidate listening to poll numbers that turned out badly wrong.

There is a part of me that wonders how the Georgia runoffs would have gone if control of the Senate wasn't on the line and Democratic turnout wasn't turbocharged. Like, if NC and/or Maine had flipped, would Warnock and/or Ossoff still have made it through? It's impossible to say.

Either way, gently caress this would be so much easier with a 51 or 52 D Senate.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Double post for more Manchin, which is what all of you of course so firmly desire:

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1356660708872757249?s=20

Cautiously optimistic most of the noise coming from him is just that, and he'll go along with the final bill regardless of his verbal objections. I'm actually low-key more concerned about Sinema, who has much less electoral pressure to be lovely but still is somehow.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah, this could backfire. There’s a non-trivial amount of educated people who have bought into QAnon.

Belief in insane conspiracy theories doesn't discriminate by education, but Qanon is still fairly fringe—the most recent polling I can find indicates that even among Republicans, only 24 percent of those who have heard about the conspiracy actually believe in it (Which is still a horrifying number). There's definitely room here for the Dems to tar Republicans with the "insane extremist" brush, which may help them in holding on to the gains they made in the suburbs in 2018 and 2020.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Wtf does this mean

I believe in effect, nothing, since the amendment by itself doesn't set a number, it just empowers the chair of the budget committee to set one.

No points for remembering who the chair of the budget committee is.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
:lol:

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1357552129167290369?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Surprised this didn't get posted earlier because this article has a wonderful quote:

https://twitter.com/WillKosh/status/1358493150801707013?s=20

quote:

“They’ve abolished ICE without abolishing ICE,” said one distraught official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because that person was not authorized to speak to the media. “The pendulum swing is so extreme. It literally feels like we’ve gone from the ability to fully enforce our immigration laws to now being told to enforce nothing.”

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Eej posted:

otoh

https://twitter.com/annamphillips/status/1358788074575167490?s=19

Feel like there's a better way to fix pollution than to put it all on EVs run by an insane narcissist

Obviously the solution is to turn the insane, oversized gas guzzlers into insane, oversized EVs :shepface:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Where the gently caress is my goddamn stimulus money

Still being worked on as a part of the overall bill. From what I understand, the goal is to have it done by the beginning of March to prevent any lapse in the expanded unemployment money. Latest developments are details on how state and local funding are going to work out, and confirmation that the stimulus won't lower the income threshold that was in previous bills:

https://twitter.com/conorsen/status/1359334454007902211?s=20

(e: for comparison, Georgia's state budget for FY2020 was 27.5 billion total)

https://twitter.com/RepJayapal/status/1359156941398933506?s=20

There's also obviously the ongoing question of whether the minimum wage increase will qualify via the Senate parliamentarian to be in the bill at all.

So you want my guess, you'll get the check by late march/early april.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

I'm still waiting on the last $600

e: which congressperson's kneecaps do I gotta break to get my loving money?

I'd check the IRS site to verify your information is correct and if the check has already been mailed out.

I can't recommend whose kneecaps to break other than "the entire republican caucus and maybe some of the problem solvers" but you can always call your congressional representative and/or senators and vent at some staffers for a bit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Oh gee, I wish I had thought of that

In all honesty I was fairly certain you had, but I've actually talked with a few friends who didn't know about the site and I figured I'd link it anyway on the off chance someone could get use out of it.

Hope you get your money soon.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
current event:

https://twitter.com/aldotcom/status/1359933021835714564?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I don't entirely understand why people want to open schools so bad. Is it because it's essentially a day care/prison so they can stop caring about their kids, push people back into a workplace that might not exist anymore. I absolutely hated school to the point where I put in sped because I just wouldn't show up or do work for classes I didn't care about.

The argument for opening up schools is pretty straightforward - first, for many/most students, distance learning is far less effective than in-person learning, and the disparity is even more extreme for kids without regular access to good internet or devices. And second, there are a huge number of working parents with younger children who are being forced to decide between staying with their kids at home, and going to work to make rent. It's a situation where there are no good options but the status quo hurts the poor the most, and is drastically exacerbating the already severe income/education gap. Many kids have already effectively lost a year of education and developmentally that's not great!

I'm sympathetic to everyone in the argument because no matter which way you slice it, it sucks, and I can't imagine being a student, teacher, or parent right now.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Not saying I'm going to, but are there any places that have put odds on Trump being acquitted by not getting the votes with 51-50? Can't be more than +115.

bad bet imo, Romney already voted to convict once and has no reason not to do so again.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Naramyth posted:

There is no way he’s convinced

Oh absolutely not, I just don't think the vote will be 51-50.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

You’re right! There aren’t 101 votes.

There are if the VP casts the tiebreaker :eng101:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

It isn’t tied at 50-50 because this is correct:

Technically it still is since the wording of the Constitution as to when the VP gets to vote is "Unless they be equally divided," so Kamala would get to cast a ballot at 50-50 regardless of whether or not it actually matters.

e: It's right there next to the clause that assigns the VP the role of protecting the space-time continuum, read your constitutions people!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I will say that upon review of this helpful article I don't think any Vice Presidents have cast a tiebreaking vote in a pointless situation since it is, well, pointless, so I'd avoid betting on a 51-50 result regardless :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
We're getting witnesses:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1360606289819222027?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
backing down from witnesses is some weak-rear end poo poo but frankly:

A) the people voting to acquit the man who tried to murder them five weeks ago aren't going to change their votes regardless of whatever testimony happens, because they've already committed to a bullshit process defense (see: McConnell, Mitch)
B) any testimony can still be compelled in future congressional or criminal investigations
C) The longer the trial takes, the more time it takes away from what should be the Senate's two primary jobs right now, getting Biden's nominees confirmed (Of which only eight have been so far) and working on the stimulus package. Going heavy on witnesses could extend the trial for weeks, if not months.

Would I love to see Trump and his other cronies on the stand? absolutely. But imo there are very real downsides to focusing the business of the senate and the media narrative on the Biden administration on impeachment for the foreseeable future, especially given that the outcome isn't in doubt.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

Anyways, we need to impeach the president.

HE'S A GAMER

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1360807395878973445

a president that plays mario kart

what an age we live in

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

I loving told you guys...they don't want to be in power, they want to be the underdogs. This is the quickest way to lose the midterms and probably '24.

counterpoint: assault weapons bans are broadly popular and are in fact more popular than eliminating private insurance, a key component of M4A

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This is a weird slapfight.

Also the Ariel Atom. Is a cool car with no crumple zones to speak of.

And yes somehow road legal, I used to have a neighbor with a plated one.

Atom is a kit car, it's "technically" road legal but you can't exactly buy it and drive it from a dealership, they literally send you the parts and you have to assemble it yourself.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

You might be the first person in history to accuse the Veyron of being a straight-line machine like a 60s muscle car.

also this post is particularly dumb because compared to F1, yeah, it is. F1 cars have loving insane downforce to allow them to stick as close to the track as possible when taking turns, and trying to take a corner at the same speed in a Veyron would send it flying off the track. For comparison's sake, the Veyron 16.4 set a lap time of 7:40 at the Nürburgring, which was actually significantly slower than a number of other cars that are much slower on paper—including the Corvette C8, the 911 GT2 RS, and, by nearly a full minute, the Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series.

meanwhile, allegedly, a BMW F1 car back in 2007 set a time of 5:57, nearly a full two minutes faster than the Veyron.

I'm not going to comment at all on the extremely convoluted gun control metaphor argument but F1 cars are loving engineering marvels and are functionally faster than anything else with wheels in anything other than a straight line.

e: this old Top Gear video is a good reminder of how ludicrous F1 cars are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJVY-sHo

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 15, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Man I wish I could drive an Atom, they have to be insanely fun

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Steezo posted:

Ah yes, gallup polls, who predicted a Romney win in 2012 and think religion is on the rise despite evidence to the contrary. Even Nate Silver rips on their methodology and conclusions.

you know if you'd actually taken the time to look at the article you might have noticed it includes polls from multiple organizations, including Washington Post/ABC News, Pew Research, CBS News, and Quinnipiac.

but sure, have some other polls

Poll: Most Republicans support assault weapons ban, despite Trump saying 'no appetite'

Two-thirds of Americans support assault weapons ban: Fox News poll

Public Divided On Assault Weapons Policy

Like I don't think an AWB is going to solve anything either, but literally all polling indicates the majority of voters support one

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Naramyth posted:

I mean. You already can’t. But we all know this

A distressing amount of shootings could have been avoided had laws already on the books actually been enforced.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
news:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1361411859396653068?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

I think I remember those from Metro 2033

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Proud Christian Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1361887361395789824?s=20

yeah nothing meaningful is ever going to get done because Joe and his ilk are going to means test everything into the ground. thanks for this, thread neoliberals.

that's right pcm, your posting enemies are all directly responsible for this. not only do we serve at the highest levels of government, directing each of joe biden's policies, but we do so with the sole intention of making your life worse on every level. medicare for all? not so long as we're in control. student loans? we're making them mandatory. that bullshit parking ticket you got? expect another one in the mail next week motherfucker

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Noted Piece of poo poo Rush Limbaugh, known to many as "That motherfucker," was dragged into the depths of hell this morning after a long battle with the forces of decency and literacy. A man so racist and lacking in character that even the National Football League denied him his plantation-owner fantasies, Limbaugh's broadcast talents were rivaled only by Lord Haw-Haw and perhaps even Goebbels himself. As per his will, Limbaugh's casket is to be lined with radioactive isotopes and his grave regularly sprayed with DDT, to ensure that he may continue poisoning the earth long after ceasing to poison the airwaves. He will be missed only by those who he mislead, and cursed to damnation for many years to come.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is a pretty good eulogy is it original

It is, though inspired by this classic eulogy of Jesse Helms

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

i n c r e d i b l e

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Colbert was better at playing a character than he is at playing himself is really what it comes down to imo.

e: John Oliver's still good though

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

bulletsponge13 posted:

Twitter is saying Cruz has announced he will not be seeking re-election.

Bullshit, he's far too ambitious and craven to accept consequences for his actions.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

Maybe it's because all the people I've met from texas aren't actually from texas and are California/NY carpetbaggers trumpeting it as a hyperconservative paradise but the folks I've met who claim to be from texas have been loving awful people, full throated MAGAts and "Patriots". It's really loving hard to disassociate that from my thinking process.

On the other hand, one of the park rangers I've worked with who lives in her hometown of Dallas in the offseason is an incredibly sweet paleontologist who's done a ton of work promoting National Fossil Day and other educational opportunities. And I've got a friend who's stationed at NAS Corpus Christi who's spent much of the last week pulling freezing sea turtles out of the water.

30 million people live in Texas, and there's a whole lot of people getting hurt by this through no fault of their own. It's a terrible situation.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
worth noting:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1362879316695134216?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
frantically pouring boxes of coco puffs into my toilet as the DEA prepares to burst through my front door