Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

A Bad Poster posted:

I think the "gently caress it, we'll figure out how to deal with the debt after people stop dying, just get the money moving" option is the one to go with.

I think we’re learning just how fake the money scoreboard is anyway so I just don’t give a poo poo about the debt ceiling anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Grip it and rip it posted:

Maybe we could just selectively revoke people's constitutionally guaranteed rights based on how deserving they are.

I also enjoy making GBS threads on politicians for twitter suggestions when the result of everything politicians have done since.. idk 9/11? has been a significant net negative.

Their suggestions don't even buy a soda; they make the soda more expensive while making sure you have less money to buy it with.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 3, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think the fact that there’s a genuine debate over whether 87.9% or 92.9% of households need help is cool and good and not indicative of any other issues.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Trump: no

Democrats: ok

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We shouldn’t tax people if we aren’t going to supply them with a laymen breakdown of where their tax dollars actually went.

Some people even want receipts for their donuts. Why not for the thousands and thousands they spend on taxes?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think CHUDs training other CHUDs would mostly look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgkkiezHGU

Not that libs or leftists would be any better though.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

subterfudge posted:

True, rangers are seals that don't care about book deals and are sometimes able to manage to not forget equipment on objective.

Rangers are as dumb as any other mil unit, I promise.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Stultus Maximus posted:

And even more disconcerting that it seems like most Americans have forgotten about this and treat it like some wacky few hours that happened, isolated from everything else and not part of a planned scheme to overthrow democracy

This was the purpose of firehosing us with bad news every hour of every day for four years.

We showed our hand after Sandy Hook when nobody really did anything in response.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I am thoroughly enjoying the UK’s repeated self own.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
He could dance on the flag talking about how he wanted to take over America and install a dictatorship and he’d still get acquitted.

At this point it’s probably just about getting people on record as being ok with his behavior so they can use it during election season.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If tomorrow everyone decided to use bitcoins for some reason it would be just as legitimate as the US Dollar is.

This isn’t an endorsement of Bitcoin but more of an observation that money is fake.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Remember how they treated Randy Quaid in Independence Day before the aliens showed up?

We should do more of that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Why can't they just stick with what works instead of doing a revision every month or two

That’s definitely not how you make a population go extinct, amateur.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Healthcare already has a shitload of microtransactions so EA wouldn’t have much to do.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t even remember what was even wrong with the Ukraine call. It was like a decade ago.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Oh man now that you bring it up, when EA takes over the stock price of my A-Positive blood is going to be so low.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I think it matters for the historical record.

which doesn't matter

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

That Works posted:

So who specifically at CDC is suspect / worthless and are you familiar with the leadership overhaul that happened after the inauguration?

“No news is good news” has a different meaning in 2021.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

brains posted:

they may be making the right moves now but that will not change the fact that their agency is tarnished and associated with bad medical practices now. it will be an enormously long haul to re-establish credibility within the larger medical communities (especially international ones). it's not going to happen anytime soon just because leadership has been replaced and now science is running the place again.

i actually was a huge fan of the CDC because i'm familiar with some of their work previously and they have some incredible people working there, and words can't describe how frustrating and infuriating it's been watching their sabotage in action over the last 4 years. the name itself is ruined; their credibility towards public health directives, which took decades to establish, is gone.

That’s unfortunate because not believing scientists is a big part of what got us in this situation in the first place and that’s precisely what you’re advocating for now.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Hashtag “believescience” is currently being wielded as a baton to pack teachers back into schools like it’s the Tokyo metro at rush hour.

I looked up “#believescience teachers” and sorted by recent and top tweets that doesn’t seem to be the case.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Platystemon posted:

I was using it rhetorically, but also LOL at relying on the bird site’s search.

https://twitter.com/sarahljaffe/status/1358786890334408705

The San Francisco Chronicle had a front page dedicated to manufacturing consent on the issue. The city is suing its own school district.

The Chicago Teachers Union just lost their struggle.

Do you read beyond headlines? Did the CDC say “open schools, no need to vax teachers” or was there more guidance attached that was left out of the headline?

Hint: this is also rhetorical. I don’t think schools should open but it’s disingenuous to say the CDC is pushing for schools to be opened without anything else attached to it. Instead of reading the news, go to the source directly and read the CDC guidance itself.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 11, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

brains posted:

not quite. what i'm saying is that joe layperson has been listening to the CDC step on its on feet and give conflicting or outright bad information for a year straight, while medical professionals were forced to ignore its guidance at times because it was unsound. the CDC itself was part of what got us in this situation and exacerbated it. that doesn't mean ignore science, it means the CDC will not get a free pass on credibility from the general public, even for sound medical advice, because people are immediately skeptical of the source.

The CDC is full of scientists (whether CDC employees or contracts with other science companies) who now have leadership that lets them operate and saying be skeptical of them is saying be skeptical of science at this point.

Source: I work at the Department of Health. There’s been a MASSIVE culture shift over the last month (longer, really, but policy-wise).

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Platystemon posted:

If one reads the fine print is read, these people are not citing authority in an entirely honest manner, but to cut to the chase on that, if CDC doesn’t push back on it, that’s their problem.

Not that they were blameless to begin with. One of the pieces pundits most love to cite is this opinion (!) piece in JAMA.

Corresponding Author: Margaret A. Honein, PhD, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd, Atlanta, GA 30333 (mrh7@cdc.gov).

I should just quote this guy from the comments, because he’s more qualified than I am:

I came to similar conclusions myself when I looked into it earlier this month. The studies cited are junk, period. The opinion piece has this line:

So I went looking into this hoping to find out how many of those 191 cases were of unknown origin and thus while they were not attributed to in‐school transmission, it could not be ruled out.

The answer to that is that it’s unknowable because there is no public table of data. Friedman mentions the “local dashboard”, and the thing is that it was accessed months ago and all we have are the numbers that study’s authors wrote down from it. We cannot say what the breakdown of the remaining 184 cases is.

So that’s pretty bad, but it gets worse. Quoting the Wisconsin study:

A kid could superspread the whole room with ærosols, and it’s going to count as maybe four transmissions to the students at adjacent desks, and the other nineteen infected kids would have cases classified as “not attributable to schools” because they don’t meet they close contact definition.

So in this one classroom, only seventeen percent of cases are “determined to result from in-school transmission”.

The statistics only get more skewed if administrators cook the books and say “actually the children were seventy‐three inches apart” and/or the infected kids go on to infect a bunch of other kids in the hallways or in extracurricular activities but would never have been in a position to do so if they hadn’t first been infected in class.

The scenario has been set up in a way that guarantees that schools will appear blameless no matter how bad conditions are.

I asked if you have read the actual CDC guidance. Not an opinion piece by someone at the CDC.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Actual CDC guidance that is bat poo poo: quarantine period is only ten days.

False. CDC guidance is still 14 days. Local health officials have the option of ten days. Go read the guidance before you cite the guidance.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/quarantine.html

E: so the answer is no, you haven’t actually read the CDC guidance

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 11, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Oh O.K..

Cool to know that biology works differently if your DPH is run by CHUDs.

At this point, hairs are being split so finely that we’d need a P100 filter to stop them.

You said the guidance was one thing and you were objectively wrong. That’s not splitting hairs, it’s black and white.

The CDC doesn’t make laws and can’t force a state or local DPH to do anything.

Is your beef that the CDC can’t enforce anything?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Defenestrategy posted:

I think they're referring to.

This part

I addressed that in the very post you quoted. Local public health officials can make their own calls but it’s right there in print multiple times: the CDC recommends 14 days.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Defenestrategy posted:

An ungenerous person would say that the paragraph I quoted implies that "Yea, quarantine for 14 days, unless your health department says 10 is fine" Which... you know, read that for what you want.

Your issue isn’t with the CDC then. It’s with state health departments.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Also, the guidance isn’t that one single webpage. For example, states are supposed to follow certain criteria outlined by the CDC before opening schools. Whether or not they do isn’t up to the CDC.

The overall guidance in the bigger picture is that states will be able to make their own calls on quarantining and opening back up based on other criteria laid out by the CDC.

The issue is that states don’t give a poo poo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Defenestrategy posted:

All I'm saying is, if I wrote a guidance on drinking lovely water after a pipe breakage for the CDC I would probably write something like: "Bring water to a full rolling boil for at least 1 minute", I probably wouldn't give cover to health departments saying "Your local health departments might also tell you bring it just to a boil for about twenty seconds, and that's cool too." or at the least wouldn't mention what the health departments would say.

but if you have 50 states divided into 64 jurisdictions, it is reasonable to think your boiling water guidance might need to be tweaked for someone who is across the country.

We don’t all live in Flint and it makes no sense to act like it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Nvm, doomers gonna doom. No news is good news.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 12, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

stackofflapjacks posted:

no plan to actually contain, test and trace, national quarantine and transmission reset, or loving anything.

False.

FEMA has been activated to set up testing and vaccine locations, and it was recently announced that they will be receiving support from DOD. Vaccines are being distributed to CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Sam’s Club, and several major other retail pharmacies and it is expected that they will start jabbing arms today. The federal government has increased the amount of weekly vaccines shipped to states from 10.5 million to 11 million. We are exceeding our goal of 100 million vaccinations in 100 days. We have invoked the defense production act to get J&J’s vaccine mass produced. We have ordered 100 million more vaccines from Moderna, increasing the total to 300 million.

This is all in just the last few weeks and isn’t an exhaustive list.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 12, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I just tuned in and I hate the way this guy says over and also what is he talking about

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What the hell kind of defense is that montage

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There are if the VP casts the tiebreaker :eng101:

There’s no tie breaker. They need 67 votes.

Efb horribly

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I enjoy my overpriced MacBook and if it broke I would probably save for another MacBook.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Is Enron back?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it's the Bucs dreamsicle unis, friends

Those rule

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Who cares :d2a:

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 15, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I bought my pistol for cash and no paperwork. Not even a receipt or bill of sale.

I don’t think it should be that easy.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

fknlo posted:

On top of blackouts in Texas they're now warning about Blackouts across all this:

I imagine all of this is entirely preventable but :capitalism:?