Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'd put the modern age to start with the sack of Constantinople in 1204 and the ascension of Genghis Khan in 1206

I see what you're doing and I don't like it.

I had a professor who thought it was hilarious to use AVC, so we'd be in 2777.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
I like Francis Brooks' quote about modern history starting with Cortes and Montezuma's meeting in 1519, so I'm going with that. The vibes are immaculate with that one.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Wait, you drink tea out of the saucer? Are you like six years old and scald your tongue or something?

no we are all adorable kitty cats i thought you knew why else would you come to cspam if not to watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k52pLvVmmkU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
modernity began with Göbekli Tepe

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

no we are all adorable kitty cats i thought you knew why else would you come to cspam if not to watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k52pLvVmmkU

:3:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Sancho Banana posted:

I like Francis Brooks' quote about modern history starting with Cortes and Montezuma's meeting in 1519, so I'm going with that. The vibes are immaculate with that one.

Modern age began in 1419 because that's when EU begins.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!

sullat posted:

Modern age began in 1419 because that's when EU begins.
EU II belongs to the ancient era of video games.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"classic"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Are people joking about not knowing what a knife rest is?

Do they have saucers in America?

and if they do, do people drink tea out of the cup or the saucer?

I put the knife down. And I have never seen a knife rest at homes or restaurants; the knife is set down with two points of contact on the outside of the dish. No saucers but my standing desk at work did come with a little rubber mug trivet to keep it from sliding around when you raise or lower it?

Some restaurants or friends who like Crate and Barrel may have chopstick rests but they’re pretty rarely deployed

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Are people joking about not knowing what a knife rest is?

Do they have saucers in America?

and if they do, do people drink tea out of the cup or the saucer?

never seen one of those
never used a saucer except at coffee places

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

fermun posted:

you consider the modern era to start in 1515????

Modern era starts with capitalism obviously. :colbert:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Day of defeat, Unreal Tournament, Oregon Trail

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

500excf type r posted:

Day of defeat, Unreal Tournament, Oregon Trail

DooM, Dark Forces, Hexen, Heretic, Rise of the Triad, Civilization

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Dameius posted:

DooM, Dark Forces, Hexen, Heretic, Rise of the Triad, Civilization

take it to the premodern history thread, buddy

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mr. Sharps posted:

take it to the premodern history thread, buddy

poo poo, guess you're right. My bad.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Anime Napoleon

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

American-style:
Fork in left, knife in right, cut off a piece of food for consumption
Lay down knife to indicate that you're a civilized person not about to attack other dinner guests
Transfer fork to your right, and stab the food before showing it in your face
Transfer fork to your left, and pick up the knife again for more cutting

European-style:
Stab the food and put it in your mouth/push the food onto the fork and shovel it into your mouth

Some American writers pretend Europeans place the tines down when pushing food onto the fork, but that's fake. I mean, I guess some upper-class freaks might be doing that, but that's hardly fair to lay on an entire continent.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/how-to-hold-a-fork/

this is some serial killer poo poo and i'm like 60% sure some complicated practical joke

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Still less stupid than the ice cream fork!

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

uninterrupted posted:

this is some serial killer poo poo and i'm like 60% sure some complicated practical joke

British "culture"

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

FirstnameLastname posted:

British "culture"

Yank culture.

Canadian and American manners, according to David Hackett Fischer, differ because Canada was settled by Britons who arrived during the Georgian era, and brought language and customs directly from the Old Sod. Canada, Fischer says, was founded as a mirror of the Britain of the 1750's, while our American cousins were a century or more in the past. Because of the close association between Canada and the mother country, and British manners being de rigueur until the mid 1960's, while occasionally "provincial", Canadians generally kept up with British custom. By comparison, direct cultural exchange was severed at the moment of America's inception, and so as Charles Dickens observed in his 1842 travels in the Americas, the Americans were a people out of time.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Yank culture.

Canadian and American manners, according to David Hackett Fischer, differ because Canada was settled by Britons who arrived during the Georgian era, and brought language and customs directly from the Old Sod. Canada, Fischer says, was founded as a mirror of the Britain of the 1750's, while our American cousins were a century or more in the past. Because of the close association between Canada and the mother country, and British manners being de rigueur until the mid 1960's, while occasionally "provincial", Canadians generally kept up with British custom. By comparison, direct cultural exchange was severed at the moment of America's inception, and so as Charles Dickens observed in his 1842 travels in the Americas, the Americans were a people out of time.

Counterpoint: USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is it true that contemporary american accents are actually closer to what english people sounded like in the eighteenth century than actual english people do today because theyre all copying some goofy rear end nineteenth century fad we never bothered with

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the contemporary american accent is the hollywood accent.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Some Guy TT posted:

is it true that contemporary american accents are actually closer to what english people sounded like in the eighteenth century than actual english people do today because theyre all copying some goofy rear end nineteenth century fad we never bothered with

Is it true that the thing I'm familiar with is in some way more natural and less influenced by fashion than the thing I'm not?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Happy President’s Day! Recently I learned that Abraham Lincoln was over the moon for cats! Did you know? (I didn’t!) He’s even believed to be the first president to live with cats at the White House! 🎩🇺🇸

Lincoln loved cats so much that when Mary Todd was asked what her husband’s hobby was, she answered “cats.” He was gifted two lady cats from his Secretary of State, William Steward. Lincoln named them Tabby and Dixie and pampered them lovingly, even feeding Tabby at the table during a formal White House dinner! Legend has it that when Mary Todd suggested feeding his cat from the table at state dinners wasn’t the best idea, Lincoln replied, “If the gold fork was good enough for former President Buchanan, I think it is good enough for Tabby…” ❤️

Another story tells that Lincoln once remarked “Dixie is smarter than my whole cabinet! And furthermore she doesn’t talk back!” …Dixie sounds like Puck or Burt, lol!

Lincoln was known to sometimes take in stray cats or come to their aid. 🥹❤️ In the last days of the Civil War, as Lincoln visited General Grant on the battlefield, Colonel Porter wrote about the president taking in three motherless kittens he heard crying outside the tent. He wrote of Lincoln’s gentle kindness to the three kittens, sitting with them cradled in lap. A direct quote from his writings describes the scene with warm respect, “He would wipe their eyes tenderly with his handkerchief, stroke their smooth coats, and listen to them purring their gratitude to him. …at an army headquarters, upon the eve of a great military crisis in the nation’s history, to see the hand which had affixed the signature to the Emancipation Proclamation and had signed the commissions… from the general-in-chief to the lowest lieutenant, tenderly caressing three stray kittens.” [Abraham Lincoln: The War Years, Volume IV, p. 146.]

…Colonel Porter wrote that Lincoln quietly said to the orphaned trio, “Kitties, thank God you are cats, and can’t understand this terrible strife that is going on.” Where did that political quote go?? I’d love to hang that one on the wall!

Before he left the battlefield, President Lincoln told another colonel present, “I hope you will see that these poor little motherless waifs are given plenty of milk and treated kindly.”

I’ve been researching Lincoln and his cats for a few weeks, hoping to find any photographs, drawings, or even physical descriptions of Tabby and Dixie. While many Photoshops exist with cats edited into photos of Lincoln, I could find no credible images of the first feline ladies! I thought that surely there would at least be some illustrations or wood prints—nothing! And so, you may be looking at some of the only images of Tabby and Dixie. I guessed at their fur patterns, but imagined Tabby was likely a tabby-cat. I hope I’ve done them justice!

I hope you have a happy President’s Day! As you tend to your cats today, remember our gentle-eyed sixteenth president generously taking in three baby cats from the battlefield. The next time someone tells you not to feed your cats from the dinner table, just tell them you’re being presidential. And in hard times, tell your feline friends, “Kitties, thank God you are cats, and can’t understand this terrible strife that is going on…” ❤️🇺🇸

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What is your favorite name of somebody who is definitely dead? I'm very partial to Studholme Brownrigg

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the degree of homogeneity in us culture and dialect is honestly astonishing to me

it's a country spanning a continent with a population of 300 million with a difference of attitude and language which i find completely approachable as a citizen of a polity almost a hundred times smaller

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
one of david cross' funnier bits was about how rednecks sounded exactly same in every part of the country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPuS1XoRoJs

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What is your favorite name of somebody who is definitely dead? I'm very partial to Studholme Brownrigg

as an anagram fan,

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

the degree of homogeneity in us culture and dialect is honestly astonishing to me

it's a country spanning a continent with a population of 300 million with a difference of attitude and language which i find completely approachable as a citizen of a polity almost a hundred times smaller
It's only 25/61 times larger. Hell, it's only 64 times heavier.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

American-style:
Lay down knife to indicate that you're a civilized person not about to attack other dinner guests
Transfer fork to your right, and stab the food before showing it in your face
Transfer fork to your left, and pick up the knife again for more cutting

European-style:
Stab the food and put it in your mouth/push the food onto the fork and shovel it into your mouth

Some American writers pretend Europeans place the tines down when pushing food onto the fork, but that's fake. I mean, I guess some upper-class freaks might be doing that, but that's hardly fair to lay on an entire continent.

Americans are monsters. wtf

Iriscoral
Apr 9, 2023

为人民服务

Slavvy posted:

Anime Napoleon
Banner of the Maid is a Chinese indie game starring an anime (genderbent) Napoleon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-cbq3IAiEI

From what I hear its pretty good at depicting some of the chaos and politics of the time, albeit with a Chinese spin

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Iriscoral posted:

Banner of the Maid is a Chinese indie game starring an anime (genderbent) Napoleon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-cbq3IAiEI

From what I hear its pretty good at depicting some of the chaos and politics of the time, albeit with a Chinese spin
Genderbent Napoleon is just Jeanne d'Arc. Or perhaps more accurately, Napoleon is genderbent Jeanne d'Arc.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Joan of Arc was already genderbent Joan of Arc

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Chinese and Japanese depictions of western history and myths are always interesting like that.

Receptions of Greek and Roman Antiquity in East Asia

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
hell Russian is surprisingly uniform across Siberia and the far east, most variation you will find in the core European regions but even there it’s surprisingly homogenous. but like America I guess much of it was settled pretty late, not including the various peoples already living there

Falukorv has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Mar 3, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
lol... hehe
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7339524005071736110

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Lvv1f5Qu4