Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Don’t you uh, live in a place that saw intense fighting in 1942 and 44-45? You could just look out the window and imagine what the fighting between the US Army and IJA was like.

It’s like living near the Queenston Heights and taking a vacation to Washington to imagine what fighting the Americans was like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just think the trad/retvrn guys would have fewer hangups about the past if they were willing to daydream a little and imagine that the ro-ro ferry they're taking across Lake Michigan is actually the prow of a Roman Trireme on its way to Carthage or whatever

Don Quixotemaxxing and Walter Mittypilled

Like don't tell me you wouldn't feel at least a little twinge of pretending you were in The Thin Red Line when given this view

Wow I did not know the beach at balaclava was so tropical

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Suplex Liberace posted:

the current and last us presidents cannot use a map in anyway i would bet my life on it

Prepare to die. One of them provably can

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Don’t you uh, live in a place that saw intense fighting in 1942 and 44-45? You could just look out the window and imagine what the fighting between the US Army and IJA was like.

It’s like living near the Queenston Heights and taking a vacation to Washington to imagine what fighting the Americans was like.

There's only a couple of sites in Manila where there's still tangible evidence that there was any fighting there, and even when I visited one in 2022, most of the accounts of the history focused on the fighting between Filipino revolutionaries and the Spaniards, rather than between the USA and the IJA.

Go figure!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's only a couple of sites in Manila where there's still tangible evidence that there was any fighting there, and even when I visited one in 2022, most of the accounts of the history focused on the fighting between Filipino revolutionaries and the Spaniards, rather than between the USA and the IJA.

Go figure!

at a glance it seems like many people involved in the Japanese comprador KALIBAPI government had long and successful careers after WW2, like the Laurel family

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I fantasize about grapeshotting the British every time I gaze across the Detroit River.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
What are the best books about El Alamein and/or the North African campaigns? Thanks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tatankatonk posted:

What are the best books about El Alamein and/or the North African campaigns? Thanks

I would recommend Stephen W. Sears's "Desert War" for an overview of the entire theater

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

tatankatonk posted:

I enjoyed Alan Moorehead's 'Desert War'. He was a correspondent with the British so you get interesting first hand insight into the psychological exhaustion of the perpetual back and forth, the atmosphere of Cairo behind the lines, wrangling with the censors, his wife and child, etc.

E; i guess there's probably a lot of books titled 'Desert War" lol

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Three Battles of El Alamein by Mario Montanari is a translation of the Italian official history and is very interesting.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Weka posted:

Prepare to die. One of them provably can

hes just fixing it he aint using it

Weka
May 5, 2019

Suplex Liberace posted:

hes just fixing it he aint using it

It's A use for it

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
can anyone here recommend some decent documentary / video content about the history of the bolsheviks and the october revolution? I've read a few books about it, but want something more audio visually stimulating. everything I could find is ether heavily tinted with a liberal bias or is from a reactionary monarchist perspective (what the hell)

I also understand russian if that helps

AFancyQuestionMark has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Apr 3, 2024

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Polgas posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on reading up on the stuff stalin did at georgia or wherever he was during 1905?

Joe Pesci's brother has written a bunch on him! Find a copy of Stalin: Paradoxes of Power, 1878–1928 and dig in.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the wet bandits were revolutionaries

Weka
May 5, 2019

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

can anyone here recommend some decent documentary / video content about the history of the bolsheviks and the october revolution? I've read a few books about it, but want something more audio visually stimulating. everything I could find is ether heavily tinted with a liberal bias or is from a reactionary monarchist perspective (what the hell)

You could try asking in the Ukraine thread

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

If you can find it, Esfir Shub's Padenie dinastii Romanovykh (1927) is pretty great

e: actually it turns out it's very easy to find on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFCEnmyCbjw

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxQSVD_rfA

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

vyelkin posted:

If you can find it, Esfir Shub's Padenie dinastii Romanovykh (1927) is pretty great

e: actually it turns out it's very easy to find on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFCEnmyCbjw

thank you for this

unrelated, but how come there's this unblievable mass of epic pop history youtubers doing pro Tzar and Whites propaganda? A two part documentary lionizing loving Admiral Kolchak :wtc:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

thank you for this

unrelated, but how come there's this unblievable mass of epic pop history youtubers doing pro Tzar and Whites propaganda? A two part documentary lionizing loving Admiral Kolchak :wtc:
The CIA has found an heir to Nicholas II they intend to place on the Russian throne.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

thank you for this

paradox games

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Megamissen posted:

paradox games

Paradox players are either full communists (me) or full fascists (people I don't like).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't know about this world of Tsarist and White propaganda, but Wrangel was good! Do they lionize Wrangel? Is Wrangel finally getting his time in the sun?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0W7Q9zGZoo

Fuckin banger

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Paradox players are either full communists (me) or full fascists (people I don't like).

And the fascists say the exact same thing in reverse.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I am going to be in a waiting room for about six hours tomorrow, recommend your favorite history book here and I swear I will read it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tatankatonk posted:

I am going to be in a waiting room for about six hours tomorrow, recommend your favorite history book here and I swear I will read it

"Take Budapest: The Struggle for Hungary, Autumn 1944" by Kamen Nevenkin

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

tatankatonk posted:

The whiskey rebellion by William hogeland

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

tatankatonk posted:

Poilu: The World War 1 notebooks of Louis Barthas

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Treason By The Book, Jonathan Spence

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

Palo Alto by Malcolm Harris

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Under 15 posted:

Treason By The Book, Jonathan Spence

This is a fun one. Frustrated qing emperor spends hours a day personally trying to explain to a random peasant picked up by the police why the Manchu Are Good, Actually

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

The Jakarta Method by Vincent Bevins

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

doesnt he have a newer better book with more shiny baubles now tho

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

doesnt he have a newer better book with more shiny baubles now tho

his new book is about the 2010s, a decade I was alive for, and therefore doesn't count as history

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

tatankatonk posted:

A Nation of Empire by Michael Meeker. Super interesting stuff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7lOundk4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnF46gRSPig

sharing this two part documentary from the CBC: "Breaking Point", regarding the 1995 referendum for Quebecois sovereignty. I didn't know anything about this before today, but the topic is fascinating

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

thank you for this

Ops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7lOundk4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnF46gRSPig

sharing this two part documentary from the CBC: "Breaking Point", regarding the 1995 referendum for Quebecois sovereignty. I didn't know anything about this before today, but the topic is fascinating

i haven't seen this doc and so don't know if it's full of poo poo, but please note that the CBC is the English language network run primarily out of Toronto, funded by the federal Canadian government. i'm not saying it's impossible for the doc to be good and fair but just consider the source. like if you watched a BBC doc about scottish or even Irish independence, you'd have to bear that context in mind.