Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

quote:

WEEKLY ADVOCATE, Belleville, Illinois, Friday, Sept. 24, 1880, page 8, col. 1

"Morrison on 'Hay Soil'"

The Democratic rally, which came off on last Saturday evening at Millstadt, was in the truest sense of the word, a grand failure.

About 9 o'clock p. m. a small delegation in uniform, and with torches arrived from Belleville. They were led by the honorable marshals of Millstadt, down Main street to the inlet of the Columbia and Waterloo road, to meet the delegations of those two towns. Sure enough, they found a small number of each of the towns present, awaiting to be welcomed in the ranks.

After the procession was formed in ranks, it paraded the principal streets of our town, but without music. We counted the torch bearers, and could not count more than 117 in all. This number excludes the Millstadt Hancock club which did not participate. At this occasion MORRISON and two other legal gentlemen of Belleville addressed the people of Millstadt in their styles of eloquence.

MORRISON's speech was a very weak one, and can be compared with his presidential letters - weak.

Our Republicans are encouraged since the Democratic rally. Hurrah for Hon. John B. HAY of our county.

Who do you think this Morrison is?

E: SOLVED

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 02:54 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I figured it out, immediately. I'm sorry for wasting anyone's time. I'll let the original post stand.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What military unit traveled the furthest distance just to get killed? Unit, not individual persons. My vote is the Russian fleet sailing from the Baltic to get sunk at Tsushima

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechoslovak_Legion

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What military unit traveled the furthest distance just to get killed? Unit, not individual persons. My vote is the Russian fleet sailing from the Baltic to get sunk at Tsushima

That would probably be the answer, or the cargo submarines that travelled between Japan and Germany with jet engines and blueprints and stuff.

e: maybe von Spee's squadron and other cruisers on foreign station during the First World War.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I still think a contender might be Australians getting blown up on various Western fronts? Don't know if they had a longer trip than the Russians before Tsushima

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

actually this attrition rate is remarkably low

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

That would probably be the answer, or the cargo submarines that travelled between Japan and Germany with jet engines and blueprints and stuff.

e: maybe von Spee's squadron and other cruisers on foreign station during the First World War.

yeah if it isn't the Baltic Fleet before Tsushima, the German East Asia Squadron in 1914 is a good contender, especially when you consider that these ships had to get to Tsingtao on deployment before the start of the war, and if you count that it's nearly a complete circumnavigation

e:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the Valentine tanks built in the UK and found themselves fighting the IJA on the steppes of Mongolia in August 1945

EDIT: there's also something very poetic about a tank executing a war of maneuver in the birthplace of the masters of the art. An armored steed, looking over the rolling plains where Genghis Khan began his world-spanning empire. "Remember how we used to run..."

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 17:57 on Apr 14, 2024

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Canadian "C Force" sent to garrison Hong Kong in late 1941 is another good contender, assembled from a Quebec regiment and a Manitoba regiment and sent to Hong Kong only to get immediately destroyed by the Japanese. Also noteworthy for Charles "Chubby" Power completely owning himself:

quote:

The two battalions Crerar selected were both Class C units, both evaluated on the lowest level of fitness for combat.[12] The first unit selected by Crerar was the Royal Rifles of Canada, which was only selected because of lobbying on the part of Associate Defence Minister Power who insisted that the Royal Rifles, full of his relatives and friends, go to Hong Kong.[12] Mackenzie King's diary mentions in passing in December 1941 that "it was Power himself who was keenest on having the Quebec regiment [the Royal Rifles] go, he mentioning at the time that his own son was a member of it".[12]

vyelkin has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Apr 14, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Travelling from Quebec to Hong Kong to get shot by Japanese people is precisely the kind of thing I'm asking about

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im watching the sympathizer and i have the most weirdly specific question imaginable reference is made to ivy league educated people always claiming to be part black was this ever actually a thing or at least was it a thing in vietnam

it kind of sounds like the author was just applying the more typical "my great great grandmother was a native american" family mythology bullshit to other races and completely misunderstanding why white people do that but im willing to humor the idea that american officers in vietnam pretended to be part black for some other unrelated weird reason

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that wasn't a thing until the 23andme era imo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
https://www.intelligent.com/34-of-white-college-students-lied-about-their-race-to-improve-chances-of-admission-financial-aid-benefits/?adfa

This is the only thing with actual stats I could find, but that says white students overwhelmingly choose Native American when lying about their race. Also that if you see a white male in college/university, there's like a 50% chance they lied about their race.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i say swears online posted:

that wasn't a thing until the 23andme era imo

it was a thing for people to say XYZ ancestor was "Cherokee" as a way to excuse what was seen as obvious nonwhite characteristics

Apr 15, 2024
Please State Your Ethnicity to Continue

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

041524 posted:

Please State Your Ethnicity to Continue

Caucasian

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

bedpan posted:

it was a thing for people to say XYZ ancestor was "Cherokee" as a way to excuse what was seen as obvious nonwhite characteristics
it was popular enough that it flowed back to the "home country" from the american side of my family. i was told as a child that one of them was a insanely fat american sheriff who married a sioux princess, which i definitely believed as a kid because they lead the story with the super fat part.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

it was popular enough that it flowed back to the "home country" from the american side of my family. i was told as a child that one of them was a insanely fat american sheriff who married a sioux princess, which i definitely believed as a kid because they lead the story with the super fat part.

Lying about Native American women is a time-honored tradition in the colonies. After all, John Smith probably never met Pocahontas; he was medivacced from Jameston after his powderhorn exploded while he was carrying it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

sullat posted:

Lying about Native American women is a time-honored tradition in the colonies. After all, John Smith probably never met Pocahontas; he was medivacced from Jameston after his powderhorn exploded while he was carrying it.
Maybe he met her in London.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Maybe he met her in London.

No, she died of TB shortly after she arrived in London with her husband. He wrote about his 'adventures' 20 years later and they were mostly made up.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

sullat posted:

No, she died of TB shortly after she arrived in London with her husband. He wrote about his 'adventures' 20 years later and they were mostly made up.

lmao so did they ever meet and were they ever married?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

pow wow chow...

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

im watching the sympathizer and i have the most weirdly specific question imaginable reference is made to ivy league educated people always claiming to be part black was this ever actually a thing or at least was it a thing in vietnam

it kind of sounds like the author was just applying the more typical "my great great grandmother was a native american" family mythology bullshit to other races and completely misunderstanding why white people do that but im willing to humor the idea that american officers in vietnam pretended to be part black for some other unrelated weird reason

it would be mildly interesting to look up the novel and see if the author does it there or if it's added in.

iirc the guy shows a general in the show is known as "the crapulent major" in the book.

e: I watched half of the first episode last night. it seemed pretty decent and I intend to continue. I did read the book so I am interested to see how they will put it on the screen.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

plz do not discuss pochahontas in this thread as she predates napoleon and is off topic

unless youre discussing the 1995 disney film which counts as history now because were all old

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I had to explain the difference between North Korea and North Vietnam to an American yesterday and it lowkey blew my mind

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

mawarannahr posted:

I had to explain the difference between North Korea and North Vietnam to an American yesterday and it lowkey blew my mind

Did they think that North Korea still held American pows?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

hiring park chan wook to make a prestige tv series about vietnam seems like something strongly influenced by that subliminally but no one involved can really say as much because of how racist it sounds

theres also a fuckload of irony involved there because south korea had even more per capita contribution to the vietnam war than we did but this is such obvious evidence of their always just being our vassal state its completely memory holed over there

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
ROK troops were also notorious for being extremely bloodthirsty in Vietnam, something that might have something to do with the fact that South Korea was a literal police state into the 80s

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

sullat posted:

She attended a single party though. I'm just saying, it's not impossible for him to have made the whole thing up based on a single interaction.

mawarannahr posted:

I'm sorry, but perhaps this piece of disinformation I made caused the confusion:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

bedpan posted:

On Vancouver Island, they would say "Hawaiian", rather than coastal Indian.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

vyelkin posted:

If you can find it, Esfir Shub's Padenie dinastii Romanovykh (1927) is pretty great

e: actually it turns out it's very easy to find on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFCEnmyCbjw

It's absolutely fantastic ! Thank you so much for posting this. The music in particular is wonderful.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mawarannahr posted:

I knew a guy who had only recently learned thar Israel is a recently founded country and not a direct unbroken continuation of the biblical polity

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mawarannahr posted:

My mom is generally well-informed but she somehow thought that South Vietnam still exists. I guess the reunification happened when she was too young to be watching the news, then it was too recent to be in any of her history classes.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
a woman at a party was surprised that i was "white" when she asked where my unusual name was from (Portugal). "But you dont look like youre from Africa"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
did you tell her about the kingdom of kongo and alfonso the first

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Portugal was in the africa expansion for AOE2.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

StashAugustine posted:

I knew a guy who had only recently learned thar Israel is a recently founded country and not a direct unbroken continuation of the biblical polity

It doesn't even really have a broken continuity afaik, I understand Jews to be descended from the inhabitants of... get this... Judah. I guess there was a unified kingdom for what, a generation?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tankbuster posted:

Portugal was in the africa expansion for AOE2.

Makes sense, Africa begins at the Pyrenees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Raskolnikov38 posted:

did you tell her about the kingdom of kongo and alfonso the first

Weka posted:

It doesn't even really have a broken continuity afaik, I understand Jews to be descended from the inhabitants of... get this... Judah. I guess there was a unified kingdom for what, a generation?

Less than 50 years.

If you're in a history program, you can get fully funded research trips, grants, mentorship, connected to publishers, if you churn out inane pablum like "The History of Jews in the Land of Israel". It drives me up the wall.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 12:58 on Apr 16, 2024