Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
They preferred Mussolini to Hitler but the Likud are descended from a group that was explicitly fascist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArtifactsHub_/status/1394097830864723969

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

what if we make a fireplace for your head?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Sharon_Kuruvila/status/1394501507177984000

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
finally something to cancel ho chi minh over

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Zionism was radical leftism until about 1950

"The fact that no Western European State has been able to ensure the defence of the elementary rights of the Jewish people and to safeguard it against the violence of the fascist executioners explains the aspirations of the Jews to establish their own State. It would be unjust not to take this into consideration and to deny the right of the Jewish people to realize this aspiration."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

\

having said all that, there's a certain care that must be taken when viewing these bits of "historical trivia" because my experience is that they're mostly coming from anarchist and demsoc folks trying to argue that "China / Vietnam is bad because they support Israel", as a sort of counterweight to the more popular narrative that it's the US that's bad for doing the same

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my biggest pet peeve with modern stuff setting during the forties is that people just take it for granted that everyone knew about the holocaust and that americans down to the lowliest foot soldiers saw it as their moral imperative to put a stop to it

in actuality the holocaust wasnt that well known outside of jewish communities and not that many people wanted to make a public relations thing out of it because of the very real chance that americans would unironically respond to the news by wondering if maybe hitler had some good ideas

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The German public, meanwhile, totally loving knew about it and don’t take their word otherwise.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

my biggest pet peeve with modern stuff setting during the forties is that people just take it for granted that everyone knew about the holocaust and that americans down to the lowliest foot soldiers saw it as their moral imperative to put a stop to it

in actuality the holocaust wasnt that well known outside of jewish communities and not that many people wanted to make a public relations thing out of it because of the very real chance that americans would unironically respond to the news by wondering if maybe hitler had some good ideas

There is a hyper fixation on the death camps in the modern popular perception of the holocaust. Everyone knew about the shooting holocaust going on in the occupied USSR. The exact extent of the death camps was only revealed after the war, but Jewish people and others understood that deportation meant death.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
One of the best books about the eastern front of World War II, A Writer At War by Vassily Grossman, based on his diaries during the war, shows that during the Nazi advance in 1941 everyone knew what it would mean for Jews to be left behind in Nazi-occupied territory. Grossman, who was Jewish from Ukraine, spent the retreat frantically running around trying to get word from his family to hear if they had made it out before the Germans reached their village or not, because everybody knew that if they got left behind the Nazis would kill them. It was extremely common knowledge.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I mean, Hitler wrote a book about how he would rid the European continent of the jewish people. It really wasn't that big secret.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Fish of hemp posted:

I mean, Hitler wrote a book about how he would rid the European continent of the jewish people. It really wasn't that big secret.

A suprising amount of people didn't read the book. William Shirer (as obsolete as that book is compared to new scholarship, I think its still 100% worth reading if you just take a critical approach to the sonderweg) harped on about how no one actually read his book and he literally said he would do everything he did.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

vyelkin posted:

One of the best books about the eastern front of World War II, A Writer At War by Vassily Grossman, based on his diaries during the war, shows that during the Nazi advance in 1941 everyone knew what it would mean for Jews to be left behind in Nazi-occupied territory. Grossman, who was Jewish from Ukraine, spent the retreat frantically running around trying to get word from his family to hear if they had made it out before the Germans reached their village or not, because everybody knew that if they got left behind the Nazis would kill them. It was extremely common knowledge.

I need to check that out

Life and Fate by Grossman was a really great book, it's (mostly?) fiction but set around the battle of Stalingrad and German/Soviet camps and there's some really grim death camp stuff

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

malcolm gladwell managed to write a book about how curtis lemay was actually good

https://mobile.twitter.com/thebafflermag/status/1394412663996887040

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
It's funny that even in an article criticizing the notion that the firebombing campaign won the war, he can't bring himself to mention that it was primarily the Soviet declaration of war that forced the Japanese to surrender. Once they realized that the Soviets weren't going to help negotiate a favorable peace, the jig was up.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

imo it was the double punch of the invasion and the bombs that finally got the war faction to stand aside

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

imo it was the double punch of the invasion and the bombs that finally got the war faction to stand aside
you’re wrong.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

you’re wrong.

the lord keeper of the privy seal disagrees and he was there afterall

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's hard to say precisely because there wasn't a little war score bar you could hover over and see -30% nukes -30% loss of Manchuria. But the fact that they were hoping to preserve their colony in Manchuria and then suddenly... boom... it was overrun... I think that made them realize that they had lost their last bargaining chip.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Some Guy TT posted:

the guardian just ran a series celebrating their 200th birthday. One of the segments was how they changed their personal ads section into a refugee section during the holocaust, and there's hundreds of adverts from jewish people writing in "please take my kids, they are lovely, we're getting systematically murdered by the nazis". The segment was written by one of the kids who was rehomed from the ads section.

I'm not going to say that everyone was fully aware of the locations and technicalities, or talk about Americans in particular, but I'm strongly against the idea that the average person in Europe didn't know hitler was comitting mass murder. Entire populations were rounded up, disappeared, and not heard from ever again. It was public knowledge (via escapees) from 1942 onwards, and the political and material value of destroying the camps were discussed within bomber command.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

sullat posted:

It's hard to say precisely because there wasn't a little war score bar you could hover over and see -30% nukes -30% loss of Manchuria. But the fact that they were hoping to preserve their colony in Manchuria and then suddenly... boom... it was overrun... I think that made them realize that they had lost their last bargaining chip.

also the soviets would have executed the emperor and the americans wouldnt have and didnt

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the war faction wanted to fight to the end in the hope of getting a settlement from the bloodbath taking the home islands would be. the war conference before/during Nagasaki but after the soviet invasion shows that Amani et al, psychopaths that they were, still wanted to continue the war. the decision was only made by invoking hirohito’s will and his statements on why he choose to surrender focus on the bombs and the army sucking rear end. my conclusion is that the Soviet invasion finally forced the peace faction to out maneuver the war faction politically as a negotiated settlement was no longer possible, and the bombs and general failures of the military weighed most heavily on Hirohito.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Soviet Union’s decisions weren’t made in a vacuum. Stalin knew about the atomic bomb development before Truman did. If the U.S. doesn’t drop it on Japan, the Soviet Union’s timeline may have been quite different.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Pearl harbor was a British false flag

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

paul_soccer12 posted:

Pearl harbor was a British false flag

:agreed:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/davecatanese/status/1397725902746828803

narrator: there wasnt

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/gregkellyusa/status/1397329918434938881

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

"factors" seems like a really strange way to say "entirely different decades"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

look if obama could plot with william ayers to blow up his elementary school it just logically follows that lee harvey oswald could babysit him if not for the scheduling issues

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Fish of hemp posted:

Stalin was one of the very few state leaders of the time smart enough to read Mein Kampf, which explicitly detailed Hitler’s lebensraum plans of Russian territory. It’s why Stalin ordered the massive industrialization of the USSR no matter the cost the moment It became clear Hitler and the nazis would rule Germany on their doorstep. Stalin’s task of business executive speech in 1931 accurately predicted that capitalist and fascist powers would invade the USSR in 10 years. Barbossa began in 1941. Stalin’s industrialization of the USSR was so massive and rapid that the nazis were completely caught off guard by their outdated maps of Russia and Eastern Europe. That book was also why Stalin refused to meet Hitler in person like other state leaders did at the time

Thanks for saving this world from industrial nazi genocide Mr. Stalin

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Demon Semen posted:

Stalin was one of the very few state leaders of the time smart enough to read Mein Kampf, which explicitly detailed Hitler’s lebensraum plans of Russian territory. It’s why Stalin ordered the massive industrialization of the USSR no matter the cost the moment It became clear Hitler and the nazis would rule Germany on their doorstep. Stalin’s task of business executive speech in 1931 accurately predicted that capitalist and fascist powers would invade the USSR in 10 years. Barbossa began in 1941. Stalin’s industrialization of the USSR was so massive and rapid that the nazis were completely caught off guard by their outdated maps of Russia and Eastern Europe. That book was also why Stalin refused to meet Hitler in person like other state leaders did at the time

Thanks for saving this world from industrial nazi genocide Mr. Stalin

Oh no wonder Stalin is so maligned in modern discourse. He actually DID something about fascists and refuse to platform them.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mycomancy posted:

Oh no wonder Stalin is so maligned in modern discourse. He actually DID something about fascists and refuse to platform them.

https://twitter.com/roun_sa_ville/status/1393284273088651266

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

stalin testin' the waters with "haha it'd be so crazy but what if..."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Churchill would have agreed if all the Nazi officers were put in brownface first

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Didn't Roosevelt have a copy of Mein Kampf with marginalia that suggested he read the German version?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

exmachina posted:

Didn't Roosevelt have a copy of Mein Kampf with marginalia that suggested he read the German version?

quote:

There is no firm evidence that Stanley Baldwin or Neville Chamberlain ever read the abridgement, but Franklin D. Roosevelt had one in his library in which was annotated: "The White House – 1933 This translation is so expurgated as to give a wholly false view of what Hitler is and says - the German original would make a different story."[75] He had been sent a complimentary copy by the publishers.[59]

It seems like it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Ardennes posted:

It seems like it.

Wait, I'm confused. Did FDR read an English version that toned Hitler down to be more acceptable to a liberal capitalist? Is that what I'm reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Does anyone know what the source for this is? I want to know if it's true because it's very funny, especially along with Stalin and Roosevelt trolling Churchill together.