Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's insane how hosed up and savage our unrestricted submarine warfare against the Japanese was. We sank all sorts of freighters, fishing ships, and civilian transports that were bringing refugees back after the Soviet conquest of Manchuria. The true numbers won't come out for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Now let's argue about the Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran.

How was that justified? From an international law standpoint, how was that less bad than Nazi Germany conquering neutral Belgium and Denmark? The answer is the Allied nations won the war, so gently caress you.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Re: war crimes: there seem to be three positions, always:

1. X is wrong and it's always wrong and we should always be against it
2. X is an okay thing to do
3. X is wrong and it's a universal truth that X is wrong but somehow it's only wrong when the people we defeated did it

3 is the position that has held true for basically ever but especially during the 20th and 21st century

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'll take #4. X is wrong, it's a universal truth that X is wrong but only the defeated get punished for it

can i also get a frosty

No that's still #3

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There's a really long piece that is yet to be written in The Atlantic that compares the rise of the nu-Klan due to Birth of a Nation with the rise of domestic terrorist organizations due to Avatar

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Does anyone know anything about Russia and the Japanese during WWI? I mean they're both on the same side, but what were their relations like? I don't know anything before the Japanese interventions in the Russian Far East during the Civil War.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Edit: absolutely not

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 12:16 on Oct 29, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just finished Orderly and Humane: The Expulsion of the Germans After the Second World War and this part specifically has haunted me and I'm doing my best to erase the memory of reading it with booze

quote:

The Yugoslavs became particularly adept at finding soft spots in the border across which parties of expellees could be spirited. In some cases, whole trains and their passengers were simply abandoned once they had crossed the frontier. The Reuters news agency reported the fate of a cattle-truck train containing 650 Volksdeutsch women and children from Maribor in Slovenia which had been sent northward at the end of September 1945. Its passengers received no food other than what they had brought themselves. After reaching Vienna the train was turned away by the authorities. Sixteen days later, it remained “in a siding at Wilfersdorf, forlorn and unattended, while children die and women go insane.”

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Just the thought of that locked cattle train full of women and children sitting neglected on a railroad siding for over two weeks is a little too much for even my jaded brain.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Already deleted, what was it?

This is why screenshots are better.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Holy poo poo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Anybody who was 12 or older when the Soviet Union collapsed still thinks the Soviet Union is around.

Or they wish it was.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Chinese had learned plenty about the holiday spirit from all the POWs they'd taken after the previous year's "Home by Christmas" offensive

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

In November of 1950 Dugout Doug MacArthur straight up told his troops on the record that they would be home for Christmas dinner. Instead those guys spent Christmas freezing, starving, and doing the bug-out boogie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

FDR was pretty much all about giving Stalin whatever he wanted, let's be clear.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Sorry for the spoiler, but yeah, it eventually landed on the guy least qualified for the job. The IJN by mid-1944 was largely a spent force and an aggressive strategy only really works if you can do serious damage with sustainable causalities.

Btw, current Russian doctrine is also aggressive-defensive but I think there is much more of an argument to be made the Russians could do serious damage before NATO could fully respond.

Battle of Leyte Gulf = Hood's Tennessee Campaign

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so what, surigao strait is franklin?

Actually Franklin is Phillipine Sea and Nashville is Leyte Gulf

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

i say swears online posted:

every time i read about the western theater its boundary keeps getting pushed east.

---- Jeff Davis reading telegrams 1864-5

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Also, I think Hood had a better chance of actually doing something than Toyoda did even if both were in a desperate situation.

I don't think either of them had a chance and I think it was the same stupid "strategy" both times

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The whole world in 1914 was what, 50 countries?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

FDR posted:

And while I am talking to you mothers and fathers, I give you one more assurance.

I have said this before, but I shall say it again and again and again:

Your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars.

They are going into training to form a force so strong that, by its very existence, it will keep the threat of war far away from our shores.

The purpose of our defense is defense.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm reading Michael Swanson's latest book, which is about America's early involvement in Vietnam. He relates a story about a WSJ journal article from 1958 about a bunch of corruption wrt US involvement in Laos that nobody read that was reprinted in Reader's Digest and then caused a heck of a scandal

Just the idea of Reader's Digest blowing the whistle on government corruption and really getting a bunch of people riled up is the most 1950's poo poo I've ever heard

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Just a bunch of dudes in gray suits and black hats taking the train home from work reading Reader's Digest while chainsmoking and being like "Wow. There's a country called Laos. And we're doing some hosed up things there. It sure is 1958."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

large oblate cat posted:

Any book recommendations for the mexican revolution?

Frank McLynn's Villa and Zapata: A History of the Mexican Revolution

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

excerpted from "Islands of Destiny: The Solomons Campaign and the Eclipse of the Rising Sun", by John Prados

(off-hand, I'd consider this book a much better account of the Solomons campaign than James Hornfischer's "Neptune's Inferno", which was the one that usually gets tossed around in recommendations)

I'm almost done this book and it's pretty good. A little bit too fun. I have already read Neptune's Inferno. Also Tales of the South Pacific by Michener. You got any other Solomons Campaign book recommendations?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

so it just occurred to me that despite what if kennedy hadnt been shot being the big sixties hypothetical what if nixon won seems like the more relevant one the 1960 election is a pretty easy one to flip and it also contained almost no discussion of what would turn out to be the big issues of the decade

like we just assume it would be bad because nixon is bad but nixon was an opportunist above all else and in the wake of eisenhowers dont trust the defense industry and integration good i cant really visualize him going whole hog war and racism rule when it was that far off from his existing popular brand

In 1960 Nixon was a diehard cold warrior who had advocated nuking the Vietnamese in 1954 along with a cabal of French-supporting extremists in the Eisenhower administration:

quote:

​As soon as he arrived in Washington, Radford invited him to his house for dinner. Among those there were John Foster Dulles, his brother CIA director Allen Dulles, and Vice-President Richard Nixon. These men would lobby to get the United States military involved in the war. Richard Nixon met with a group of editors from the American Newspaper Association and told them, in what amounted to a trial balloon for war, that "if this government cannot avoid it, the administration must face up to the situation and dispatch forces." In a National Security Council meeting he asked whether it might be wise to use atomic bombs to save Dien Bien Phu. He was told it would take three to wipe out the Viet Minh forces surrounding the French position, but President Eisenhower said he doubted they could actually win a war there after using them.
By "existing popular brand" are you talking about Eisenhower's popular brand? Because Nixon really distanced himself from Eisenhower in the 1960 election. Kennedy ran on the idea that the Eisenhower administration was weak on defense, Nixon being part of that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

does a quagmire in cuba preclude a quagmire in vietnam its hard to imagine us doing them both at the same time

Do you remember the 2000's?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Alright, calm down Allen Dulles.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

In honor of the month, I just wanna go ahead and quote a whole big part of "A People's History of the Second World War: Resistance Versus Empire"

quote:

Cracks in the edifice of racism appeared when the US armed services expanded from a few hundred thousand to over 14 million. The state now had no choice but to appeal to the country’s nine million blacks. In 1940 the Selective Service and Training Act opened the forces to ‘any person, regardless of race or color’ and promised ‘there shall be no discrimination ...’.68 Yet the Services remained thoroughly segregated. As Roosevelt put it: ‘The policy of the War Department is not to intermingle colored and white enlisted personnel in the same regimental organization.’69 Presumably ‘no discrimination’ only applied within separate black and white sections, not between them.

The justification given by the Secretary for War was that blacks were ‘basically agriculturalists’.70 Consequently, ‘Negro units have ... been unable to master the techniques of modern weapons.’71 In the Navy blacks could aspire only to be messmen and cooks because, according to the Secretary of the Navy: ‘it would be a waste of time and effort [to train those who] by reason of their race and color could not properly and efficiently fill the higher ratings.’ Admiral Nimitz warned desegregation was ‘the Soviet way, not the American way’.72 In the army 95 per cent of black soldiers were restricted to service roles,73 because, as General Marshall put it, integration would have meant ‘settlement of vexing racial problems [that] cannot be permitted to complicate the tremendous task of the War Department and thereby jeopardize discipline and morale’.74 As the morale of racists took priority whites could command blacks, blacks could never command whites. So in 1940 there were only two black army officers.75

Segregation even applied to blood donations. Protesters called this ‘abhorrent to the principles for which this war is being fought’ and a ‘Hitler-like policy’.76 But there were many other outrages. This was the experience of one black soldier: ‘I saw German prisoners free to move around the camp, unlike black soldiers, who were restricted. The Germans walked right into the doggone places like any white American. We were wearin’ the same uniform, but we were excluded.’77 In town German POWs sat at the front of buses while blacks were relegated to the back.78 He concluded the USA was fielding ‘two armies, one black, one white’.79 When proposals emerged for segregated bomb shelters in Washington DC, one paper wryly commented: ‘Wouldn’t it be just like Hitler to make American whites choose a “fate worse than death” – running into a Negro bomb shelter?’80

Some radical blacks responded to the situation by rejecting participation in the war altogether:

Why should I shed my blood for Roosevelt’s America ... for the whole Jim Crow Negro-hating South, for the low-paid, dirty jobs for which Negroes have to fight, for the few dollars of relief and the insults, discrimination, police brutality and perpetual poverty to which Negroes are condemned even in the more liberal North?81

Answering talk of ‘saving democracy’, one black newspaper wrote, ‘We cannot save what DOES NOT EXIST’.82 The Second World War was a ‘white man’s war’ to a significant minority.83 Thirty-eight per cent of black people believed it was more important to ‘make democracy work at home’ than beat the Germans and Japanese.84 An apocryphal epitaph summed up the bitterness felt: ‘Here lies a black man killed fighting a yellow man for the protection of a white man.’85

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

"Ewww you saved my life with a black person's blood??? Take it back out of me!!" - an American

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Re: that quote from Nimitz, the "Hero of Midway":

Black people don't automatically like other black people just because they're black. They're human beings. Imagine being a "mess boy" on a navy ship in WW2 where you live in a tiny floating metal box that you can't get off of for weeks or months and you aren't allowed to hang out with anyone other than the other 3-10 black people and you don't particularly like any of them and there's combat situations going on and you can't serve a gun or do anything other than make ham sandwiches and coffee.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Here's a very long and very fun slice of the book "Low Life: Lures and Snares of Old New York" by Lucy Sante

quote:

Late in the nineties, he began a major trend by founding the Chuck Connors Association, the sole purpose of which was to hold an annual ball, an affair that could guarantee a sizable profit from ticket sales and bar take, and whose profits were transmitted directly to Chuck’s pocket. As well connected as Connors was, he had no trouble coming up with a roster of honorary members that included prominent politicians, actors, artists, and writers, as well as such raffish personalities as George F. Train (the ex-millionaire former Union Pacific Railroad promoter and Crédit Mobilier manipulator who passed through phases of dissolution and bohemianism before ending up busted and living at the Mills Hotel shelter on Bleecker Street), plus the mayors of the Bowery, Avenue C, Poverty Hollow, and Chinatown. The first ball, held like its eventual successors at Tammany Hall on Fourteenth Street, featured music by two bands, Professor Wolf’s Orchestra and Professor Yee Wah Lung’s Chinese Orchestra. It drew representatives from clubs uptown—the Princeton, the New York Athletic, the Knickerbocker, the Hasty Pudding (imported from Cambridge), the Racquet and Tennis—and downtown—the Knickerbocker Icemen, the Lady Truckers, the Desperate Seven, the Bartenders’ Club, the Lee Hung Fat Club, the Stuffed Club, the Sweet Sixteen Club, the French Cooks, the Girl Getters. His 1903 ball is noted for having been raided by Carry Nation, the temperance agitator, who was in town on one of her East Coast swings. She swept bottles and glasses off tables, snatched cigars and cigarettes from lips, and made her way to the podium, where she began reading a letter from a disconsolate mother whose daughter was alleged to be lost in the wilderness of the Bowery. At this point a wild local girl called Pickles threw a bottle and some epithets at the crusader, who retaliated by unsheathing her ever-present hatchet and chasing Pickles around the room with it. The ball exploded into a pandemonium of police whistles, shouts, screams, and fistfights among the guests, which stopped when Connors collared the reformer and personally ejected her from the building.

Connors’s scheme launched a thousand imitations. Before long, the Bowery was thick with associations and clubs of one or two or ten or a hundred, all of which gave annual balls, so many that in the winter there was usually at least one every night. At Tammany Hall, the Walhalla, the Everett, the New Irving, the Arlington, such bodies as the Limburger Roarers, the Soup Greens, the Lady Locusts, the Lady Barkers, the Lady Flashers, the Crescent Coterie, the Bowery Indians, the East Side Crashers, the Plug Hats, the jolly 48 held forth, their officers’ names poetic in the period style: Mixed-Ale this and Bug that, Slimmy and Fatty and Peg-Leg and Limpy. The balls at first inspired great decorum. Prostitutes would wait patiently at the door for unaccompanied gentlemen to escort them in. Fights did break out every now and then, usually of a gallant nature, seldom at first anything very serious. Besides being surefire profit-making schemes in the area of ticket sales, the balls were also a way to beat the excise laws prohibiting after-hours liquor vending, and saloonkeepers were not slow to realize it. The Arbor Dance Hall on Fifty-second Street near Seventh Avenue, formerly the Eldorado, formed its own club, the Dave Hyson Association, and all its waiters held balls one after the other, making it a de facto after-hours night spot.

By this time the late Bowery Boy style had been established: the pearl-gray or brown derby tilted over one ear, the suit in loud checks with a tight coat, worn over a pink striped shirt, with a flaring box overcoat thrown on top in winter. The “mug,” who might refer to himself as “me steady,” would clinch his female partner—“me rag” or “me bundle”—herself clad in a tight jacket with a corseted waist, a long, somewhat bedraggled skirt, a nondescript hat perched on top and perhaps ornamented with a feather, typically a broken one. The two had a swagger that became a routine, known as the “hard walk,” and it became a promenading dance at the balls and its execution the subject of contests that sometimes ended in riots. Dancing became known as “spieling” and it was practiced at private affairs or on the liners that sailed to Coney Island. The men all smoked Sweet Caporal cigarettes—the ones that came with baseball cards or pictures of actresses—and the women all chewed gum.

The language and the accent were what became thought of as New York talk by the rest of the country after being circulated in novels like Edward Townsend’s Chimmie Fadden and Stephen Crane’s Maggie, as well as in the testimony given by the hapless Chinatown crook Georgie Appo to the Lexow Committee in 1894, which was widely reported in the newspapers. Appo’s speech and body language could be found reproduced almost note for note in any Warner Brothers B-movie of the 1930s: the “dese, dem, and dose,” expressions like “youse guys,” “dead game sport,” “chase yerself,” “wot t’hell,” “hully gee” (or “chee”), the refrain of “see?,” the lateral slicing motion made with the hand palm down, the crook talk of come-ons and come-backs, of “easy marks,” the admission “he trun a scare into ‘im.”

The balls became known as rackets and became increasingly institutionalized and politicized. The ball of the saloonkeeper and bagman Harry Oxford was an inevitability on Washington’s Birthday, and Larry Mulligan’s was likewise on the eve of St. Patrick’s; they held their affairs at the Terrace Garden or Tammany Hall. The gangster and dive owner Biff Ellison formed the Biff Ellison Association right on the heels of Connors’s innovation, and before long he was so formidable he could command as many as three annual balls at the Tammany Wigwam. The affairs were very quickly controlled by politicians, and attendance at some of them was de rigueur for anyone seeking to obtain or keep a license or a piece of turf for liquor sales or gambling or a contract for city work. Connors died in 1913, having in his last years lost his grip, due to a combination of alcohol and ill health, and become a mere loafer. He was made to endure the combined tribute and indignity of seeing a young Italian bootblack, Frank Salvatore, formerly known as Mike the Dago, rename himself Young Chuck Connors (as boxers would style themselves after their models) and form the Young Chuck Connors Association. What made this more poisonous was that the ball committee listed the original Connors second only in rank, the first position being reserved for Jim Jeffries, even if he did outrank Jim Corbett.11

Some of the balls kept going for years, even after Bowery culture had been damaged by the shoot-’em-up outside the Lenny & Dyke Association ball at Arlington Hall in January 1914, after it had been all but destroyed by the subsequent reform sweep and finished off by World War I. The New Yorker writer Joseph Mitchell found a character called Commodore Dutch in the 1940s who was up to his fortieth annual ball, the “Annual Party Affair, Soiree and Gala Naval Ball of the Original Commodore Dutch Association.” The breakdown Mitchell gives of this event provides a glimpse into ball mechanics as refined over the decades. The card advertising the gala listed such names as Al Smith, Herbert Lehman, and Robert Wagner, Sr., as well as monikers on the order of Big Yaffie, Little Yaffie, Gin Buck, Senator Gut, Eddie the Plague, Johnny Basketball, and Swiss Cheese, most of which were borne by professional horseplayers, although also in attendance were saloonkeepers, fight managers, nightclub proprietors, tip-sheet publishers, bail bondsmen, and Turkish-bath attendants. These worthies were all given titles: Dutch himself was Founder and Standard Bearer; others were Head President, Assistant Head President, Second Assistant Head President, Admiral, Rear Admiral, Front Admiral, Judge Advocate, Field Marshal, Overseer, Master of Fox Hounds. Dutch, who was sixty-two years old at the time of the interview, had refined this sort of racketeering into a métier, and earned most of his living from it. He claimed to have been instructed by Connors and Silver Dollar Smith (in the 1940s those names were still legendary on the Lower East Side), to have apprenticed as a lobbygow and worked as a steerer for McGurk’s, and to have been awarded the racket franchise by Tammany strongman Big Tim Sullivan in lieu of a requested loan. His rackets had been held at Everett Hall on East Fourth Street until 1912, when they outgrew the house and moved to Tammany Hall, upon which occasion the free beer was discontinued. The Fourteenth Street Tammany Hall was torn down in 1928, so the affair was transferred to the back rooms of various Third Avenue speakeasies and then their legal equivalents after Repeal. By the time the piece was written, few people actually bothered to attend the balls, but a large number bought tickets nevertheless.12

Commodore Dutch inherited the scene by outliving it. At the height of the Bowery as an institution he would have been lost in the crowd of characters. Connors and Brodie inspired hundreds of imitators; a forgotten showman named Charles B. Ward attempted to corner the market, calling himself the Original Bowery Boy, and singing “Only a Bowery Boy,” a fair success even if he himself wasn’t, in a show called McFadden’s Elopement Company. There were famous panhandlers: Tennyson, so called because he was said to resemble the laureate; Shakespeare, who quoted the Bard at all occasions and is not to be confused with the murdered female Shakespeare mentioned earlier; his boon companion Daddy Ward, who claimed to have been ruined on Wall Street and who was always aiming curses at the captains of industry, and was known, too, for his costume of collar, cuffs, frock coat buttoned high, and no shirt. There was Doc Shuffield, said to have once been a fellow of the Royal Medical Society, who ministered to the penniless on the Bowery and died in a blizzard on his way to a call.

It's a good history book, one of my favorites, but it's goddamn exhausting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

so im curious about something at about what time does hitlers kill count exceeds churchills kill count in terms of the competition for historys greatest monster

Probably sometime in May or June of 1944

June, most likely.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I can't believe I'm quoting the same book twice in such quick succession but here's A People's History of the Second World War on the Bengal Famine and Churchill:

quote:

The Secretary for India was Leo Amery, who has been described as a ‘passionate advocate of British imperialism [and] right-wing politics’.17 His reaction to the first reports of starvation was expressed in a letter to the retiring Viceroy, Lord Linlithgow. Amery welcomed this distraction from the movement for independence. The public were ‘now absorbed in questions of food and cost-of-living’ which might ‘infuse a tinge of realism into politics ...’.18

However, when the seriousness of the crisis became clear Amery also backed urgent food imports. The minimum necessary was calculated as the equivalent of one million tons of grain over the year.19 Was it pure coincidence that this was exactly the same amount as the army’s annual consumption in India?20 Amery’s appeals fell on deaf ears. London insisted that ‘Defence Services demand must be first charge on indigenous or imported grain’.21

The wording of the War Cabinet’s response to Amery’s frantic appeals was shocking: "After the requirements of Ceylon and the Middle East had been met, it would be extremely difficult to find further ships which could be sent to Australia to fetch grain [for India]. If however the War Cabinet decided that some action should be taken ... arrangements should now be made to import not more than 50,000 tons as a token shipment. This should, however, not be earmarked for India but should be ordered to Colombo to await instructions there."22

Those who dared accuse the Government of wishing ‘deliberately to starve the people by acquiring the whole crop for the Army’ would be pursued and prosecuted.23

Field Marshall Wavell, who replaced Linlithgow as Viceroy, was also exasperated: ‘It is scandalous that we are making no progress about food imports after about six months’ discussion ... .’24 He pointed out the ‘very different attitude towards feeding a starving population when there is starvation in Europe’.25

Churchill was unabashed. British rule would be seen as a ‘Golden Age as time passes’26 and sending food amounted to ‘appeasement’ of the Congress Party.27 The official record notes that the Canadian PM had 100,000 tons of grain loaded on a ship bound for India, but was ‘dissuaded by a strong personal appeal from Winston’ from sending it.28 When the British military commander in the South East Asia offered to use 10 per cent of his shipping capacity to assist Bengal, Churchill cut his allocation by 10 per cent.29 Finally, no help would come from Britain itself because, said Churchill, to divert ships to India might affect ‘imports of food into this country’.30

Underlying this was deep-seated racism. Amery, for example, thought the country needed ‘an increasing infusion of stronger nordic blood, whether by settlement or intermarriage or otherwise ... and so breed a more virile type of native ruler.’31 Yet the Secretary for India’s prejudice was nothing compared to the PM’s. The latter complained Indians were ‘breeding like rabbits’ and said: ‘I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion.’ Amery told him to his face that he took a ‘Hitler-like attitude’.32

For further reading I suggest "Churchill's Secret War"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was looking for this and "A People's History..." (and I did find them) and I stumbled across

I'm excited to dig into it

Allied intervention in the Russian Civil War is insane and so very swept under the rug. There were like 10,000 American troops in Russia at one point. The Japanese conquered the whole Russian Far East and half of Siberia and hung around for years.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

People of so many countries participated the attempted extirpation of the Bolsheviks. Canadians! Canadians invaded the Soviet Union!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A spicier take would be that the Russian Civil War = Vietnam's various conflicts between 1941 and 1975, with the foreign powers involved and endlessly trying to find a non-communist alternative. In this scenario I guess the Japanese are the Germans and the Binh Xuyen/Hoa Hao are the fringe elements like Makhno.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Stop paraphrasing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Holy poo poo yes Allied populations didn't care about Bolshevism in Russia but Allied governments were going bugfuck over the spread of communism anywhere and everywhere. This was the era of the first red scare in America, way more insane than the red scare of the 1950's. The political elites were frightened to a degree not seen since the 1790's or 1840's. They wanted the Soviet Union strangled in its crib and they wanted it done last week. No actual non lizard people gave a gently caress, true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Here's a constant that runs through all history: when people who own property get nervous, people who don't own property get dead