Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The man on the left is Kaiser Wilhelm II, wearing the full uniform of the Russian tsar circa 1905. On the right is Tsar Nicholas, wearing the full uniform of the German emperor circa 1905.

And from what I've read, yes, they did swap uniforms at other occasions IRL and would pretend to be the other monarch just for the sake of screwing around with the general staff and court officials. Both monarchs spoke with a marked German accent making the swap even harder to spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i say swears online posted:

whoa whoa whoa this thread is for midcentury modern dishware

bedpan has issued a correction as of 06:11 on Apr 11, 2022

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mex ameros

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Endman posted:

Splitting up Yugoslavia into separate nation states was a disaster imo

yes, that was the goal

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

hosed up map. protestants are supposed to be blue, and catholics yellow

should've done the opposite and integrated romania, hungary, bulgaria, albania, austria and greece. this would greatly reduce the relative size of the largest ethnic group, and ensure that no typical nation-building project could even be considered, forcing a kind of intra-state anarchy.

Tito wanted to do this.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

uninterrupted posted:

anyone have a good book about the clintons? I feel like they're all either fat sloppy blowjobs for the clintons or full in on them being actual reptile people.

the 120 days of sodom

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no but i can tell you to stay the gently caress away from al

just read this and thought you were talking about the poster

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I'm glad we built lots of coal, oil, and gas burning infrastructure instead dangerous nuclear technology that has the chance for terrible accidents and produces waste products we cannot deal with

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Megamissen posted:

theres a theory that they are descendants on the sumerians

isn't this essentially everyone who lives in modern Iraq and the surrounding area? same way that they are the descendants of the assyrians?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i say swears online posted:

that wasn't a thing until the 23andme era imo

it was a thing for people to say XYZ ancestor was "Cherokee" as a way to excuse what was seen as obvious nonwhite characteristics

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

sullat posted:

No, she died of TB shortly after she arrived in London with her husband. He wrote about his 'adventures' 20 years later and they were mostly made up.

lmao so did they ever meet and were they ever married?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

...even anti-war hollywood movies had the vietcong as the scary other.

hey we are anti-war not anti-america

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Pretty insane presentation at work, which used Blum's My Word! Plagiarism and College Culture. Wondering what level of liberalism this is, because I couldn't pin down the types of liberalism and PMC culture in play:

"Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. not only was a minister and a civil rights activist but also had earned a doctorate in theology at Boston University. In 1988, while working on annotating his papers, researchers were disheartened to realize that substantial amounts of his writing revealed pervasive plagiarism. Since King was not alive to answer the charges, the question was essentially one of how history should regard his legacy. In general, it seems to have been agreed that he had gone on to lead a life of great importance despite his significant and lifelong tendency to use others’ words without crediting them.

Some people responded with anger at King’s professors at Crozer Theological Seminary and Boston University, where his dissertation included significant verbatim copying from Paul Tillich and other prominent theologians and philosophers. They claimed that the professors were racist for not having held a capable young black man to a higher standard. Some excused his plagiarism as a common practice in African American discourse. Others condemned his plagiarism but retained a high regard for his character, focusing on the effects of his activism (that is, they judged him by historical standards as an activist rather than by publication standards as a scholar). Still others excoriated his defenders as soft- headed liberal affirmative action apologists.

Whether exculpated or vilified, King was either a uniquely gifted employer of an African American tendency toward intertextuality or a fraud who deserved neither his fame nor even his doctoral degree. Racism! Oversimplification! Literal-minded legalism! Whatever the accusation, the case remains highly charged."

hmm, so like with everything else, the the truth on MLK is in the middle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the rise in concern about "plagiarism" tracks 100% with the equal rise in deskilling of academia and education services companies who will write your lesson plans from top to bottom