Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
that guy has just read a book for the first time and found out people didn't turn up at the frontline in 1914 and then spend the next four years solid sat in a forward trench, and also that there were other places than a few 100 miles of Belgium and france involved in World War I

i wish him well with his GCSEs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm scared I won't be able to finish the book from how depressing it is

lol this is exactly what happened to me

it's a lot easier to read his books about Stalingrad or Berlin because you know the fascists get owned in the end

I mean the leaders still die in their beds thirty years later, but at least they mostly do that in exile in South america and not as leader of their country

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
loving lmao at Australia deciding to use the racial slur as the official name for the medals, classic australian

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

vyelkin posted:

One of the best books about the eastern front of World War II, A Writer At War by Vassily Grossman, based on his diaries during the war, shows that during the Nazi advance in 1941 everyone knew what it would mean for Jews to be left behind in Nazi-occupied territory. Grossman, who was Jewish from Ukraine, spent the retreat frantically running around trying to get word from his family to hear if they had made it out before the Germans reached their village or not, because everybody knew that if they got left behind the Nazis would kill them. It was extremely common knowledge.

I need to check that out

Life and Fate by Grossman was a really great book, it's (mostly?) fiction but set around the battle of Stalingrad and German/Soviet camps and there's some really grim death camp stuff

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Slavvy posted:

So, what, there are different grades of acceptable warcrimes depending on who you do them to...?

Like you guys understand that war crimes are still war crimes even if you're doing it to the SS or whatever right?

"They should've just shot Tojo if they didn't like it :smug:" isn't a take I expected to see here I gotta say.

gonna go out on a limb and say yes, doing war crimes to the SS is less reprehensible than doing them to e.g. some civilians

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

not sure about how important fish are, although they do have them

and apparently lots of squid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

While the Vulcans were capable of carrying conventional munitions, this had not been done for a long time. To carry twenty-one bombs, the Vulcan required three sets of bomb carriers, each of which held seven bombs. Their release was controlled by a panel at the navigator's station, known as a 90-way, that monitored the electrical connections to each bomb, and was said to provide 90 different sequences for releasing the 1,000-pound bombs. None of the Vulcans at Waddington were fitted with the bomb racks or the 90-way. A search of the supply dumps at Waddington and RAF Scampton located the 90-way panels, which were fitted and tested, but finding enough septuple bomb carriers proved harder, and at least nine were required. Someone remembered that some had been sold to a scrapyard in Newark-on-Trent, and they were retrieved from there. Locating sufficient bombs also proved difficult, and only 167 could be located. Some had cast bomb cases rather than machined ones, which was problematic as they tended to shatter, and this mission required bombs that would penetrate into the ground.
lol