Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol I don’t think we even had 66 bombs until 1948

e: lol not until 1949 actually

easier to fund the production of 66 atomic bombs when you already have a plan drawn up that requires them, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

it's not 66 bombs, it's 66 cities to destroy

which the paper calculates would require 466 bombs

that said, that paper is on the level of "the US planned to invade Canada in the 1930s" stuff - technically true, but not representative of any actual political or military intention to do so

reading the article is cheating

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

not technically a mass shooting but lol nonetheless

https://twitter.com/wapplehouse/status/1581054699046043648

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

oops wrong thread that tweet was meant for the Mass Shooting thread

I'll leave it here as a testament to my laziness

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

is this the same Lord Mountbatten who basically raised Prince Charles after his dad died and then got assassinated by the IRA

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

hey folks, I’m interested in reading about gas attacks in warfare, especially chlorine and related substances like phosgene. any good books? Frosted Flake

WWI was the heyday, so check out whichever Barbara Tuchman book covers the latter half of the war

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

War and Pieces posted:

Wouldn't that be Iran/Iraq War?

maybe? I'm a shitposter not an historian

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Eeeewww don't recommend Barbara Tuchman

you're literally the first person I've ever heard who doesn't like Tuchman

I'm interested to hear your take, Teriyaki Hairpiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What is your historical movie/tv show dream? I want a 13 episode miniseries about the Solomons campaign that alternates between an American perspective, a Japanese perspective, and a Guadalcanal islander perspective.

6-parter about Cortez' campaign in the New World, preferably a Lars von Trier or Nicholas Winding Refn production

So much crazy poo poo happened. The first battle Cortez deployed dogs to great effect, second battle the Aztecs had a plan: they built pit traps and used spears to kill the dogs but they kept them concealed so the Spaniards wouldn't keep the dogs back and deployed the spears right before the dogs got there a la Braveheart. Cortez captured their king, who was revered as a god, and held him for ransom. The Aztecs (sensibly) told him that the fact the king got captured proved he was a false god so Cortez could keep him for all they cared. There were some pitched battles and at one point Cortez' people were besieged in one of the Aztec temples and only survived because the besieging force quickly succumbed to diseases introduced by the Spaniards. The Spaniards' documents show they witnessed mass sacrifices (I think to Xipetotec, which means the sacrifices would have their hearts cut out and then be skinned, symbolizing the fertility of new plants emerging from seeds); they must have felt they landed in biblical hell. By the time the Spaniards finished their conquest millions of Aztecs were dead.

This is all according to a history class I took over 20 years ago so I may be conflating or misremembering some events. The whole situation was the worst of humanity on display and it would need a real nihilist auteur at the helm to do the story justice.