Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Dreddout posted:

Supposedly the PRC looks upon Taiping as a ideological predecessor to their revolution. Sorta like how the bolsheviks viewed the jacobins.

Which is pretty interesting given that Taiping was a theocracy inspired by Western ideas, but I guess you take what you can get when it comes to historical precedence.

tbh mao was a history nerd that tried to rehabilitate a bunch of historical figures like qin shi huang and cao cao

the taiping thing really didnt stick which is why modern party historiography usually focuses on anti-concessionist movements of the qing period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

everything after 1848 is depressing as gently caress

everything before it is just the inexorable forces of history at work and is cool

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

What was Russian performance in ww1 like? I've heard plenty of stories about how incompetent the army was, especially in the early stages of the war, but tbh I've heard that about every other war they've been in. Obviously morale was low enough that the entire country collapsed and no country really covered itself in glory there, but how did they compare to the rest of the major powers?

people have recommended some stuff about the eastern front but I would give Shattering Empires a shot if you wanna learn about the fight with the ottomans

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Fish of hemp posted:

I mean, what were the good sides of cultural revolution?

naming your kid build the nation

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

btw the book you're looking for op is The Unknown Cultural Revolution: Life and Change in a Chinese Village

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

i want a vietnam war film where the heroic viet cong squad drop cool one-liners while they gun down waves upon waves of yankee imperialist pigdogs

quote:

“We’re fighting the largest empire in the world, and we’re just a bunch of hay seeds in coonskin hats that don’t know nothing,” Lucas noted.
It was during this interview when Lucas likened America to “the Empire” and the Việt Cộng to “the Resistance” in reference to the events during the Vietnam War.
“The irony is that, in both of those, the little guys won. The highly technical empire — the English Empire, the American Empire — lost. That was the whole point,” Lucas says.
Meanwhile, in an audio commentary on the 2004 re-release of “Return of the Jedi,” Lucas said that the Việt Cộng also served as his inspiration for the Ewoks, who used their primitive weapons to defeat invaders, according to History.