Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
It is critical that we remember the real victims of the Holocaust: the Soviets.

Claiming that the Holocaust was about Jews is Zionism. Biden is doing it to provide cover to Israel!
a lot of trotskyists who haven't read losurdo itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Claiming that the Holocaust was about Jews is Zionism. Biden is doing it to provide cover to Israel!

Fish of hemp posted:

Yes, but how did it help?

it convinced hitler operation barbarossa would work, which was pretty much the worst way germany could have tried to fight the ussr

weird how people get mad at stalin not initially attacking fascist germany but also at attacking fascist finland

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

"I convinced hitler to invade" ... as a good thing?

hitler was going to invade anyways, like the fascists in poland and finland did.

the winter wars convinced hitler to invade in a dumb, immediately doomed manner.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Samog posted:

concord grapes do taste like grape candy tho

"time traveler giving a French serf a Dorito" but it's a goon eating gros michel bananas or concord grapes.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

So I'm reading Black April, and in it there's mention of a Congressional delegation to South Vietnam in 1975. Specifically, it says:

quote:

“Despite Ford’s best intentions, the U.S. congressional visit to South Vietnam from 25 February until 3 March was, for the most part, an abject failure. So much has been written about the disastrous congressional trip that the author will not cover it here. The level of buffoonery exhibited by Representative Bella Abzug surely was a new low in American diplomacy.”

I have found literally no information about this delegation or Bella Abzug behavior during outside of these meeting minutes: https://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1969-76v10/d182

Anyone know what the 'buffoonery' refers to?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Azathoth posted:

given the comment about only one of the pairs of congresscritters being reliably hawkish, it wouldn't surprise me if the buffoonery also includes just generally saying anti-war things beyond the general idiocy outlined there. Abzug was pretty well known for being anti-war and people still loving hate Jane Fonda for that poo poo 50 years later.

yeah that's what I figured, I didn't know if there was more to it. the meeting minutes after the trip have a comments from Abzug p much saying "no military aid, humanitarian aid only". somewhere I read that all the congress members also thought the ambassador to south Vietnam was a prick during the trip which, I guess maybe?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

anyone have a good book about the clintons? I feel like they're all either fat sloppy blowjobs for the clintons or full in on them being actual reptile people.

uninterrupted has issued a correction as of 01:34 on Jan 30, 2024

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Sancho Banana posted:

Anyone have any good reads on Russian wars/interventions since the end of the Cold War? Especially Chechnya and Georgia.

it's definitely got a Point Of View but putin by phillip short touches on them

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

American-style:
Fork in left, knife in right, cut off a piece of food for consumption
Lay down knife to indicate that you're a civilized person not about to attack other dinner guests
Transfer fork to your right, and stab the food before showing it in your face
Transfer fork to your left, and pick up the knife again for more cutting

European-style:
Fork in left, knife in right, cut off a piece of food for consumption
Stab the food and put it in your mouth/push the food onto the fork and shovel it into your mouth

Some American writers pretend Europeans place the tines down when pushing food onto the fork, but that's fake. I mean, I guess some upper-class freaks might be doing that, but that's hardly fair to lay on an entire continent.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/how-to-hold-a-fork/

this is some serial killer poo poo and i'm like 60% sure some complicated practical joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

IIRC there's an entire genre of Chinese literature describing intellectuals being persecuted during the CR, so this isn't a nieche viewpoint, as far as I understand "CR was bad and a mistake" is the mainstream view in China

yeah there's no need to rehabilitate the cultural revolution. the red guards paralyzed dengs kid.

a small civil war being fought over what decades of Chinese policy would agree was dumb poo poo is p bad