Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

PawParole posted:

we have a pre-napoleon and post-napoleon thread.

but where does napoleon go?

New Jersey
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1356014437342339074?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

Anybody have any good readings on Portuguese Decolonization (i.e Cabral, Angola and Mozambique bush wars, and the Carnation revolution)

here's some of Cabral's speeches to international audiences
http://abahlali.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/amilcar_cabral_return_to_the_source-ilovepdf-compressed.pdf

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i say swears online posted:

my ignorant knee-jerk take is that the chicago democratic machine worked to keep many jobs whites-only during the first great migration

edit this is a pretty crazy tidbit

https://twitter.com/tenner_david/status/1399502371584106501

The Chicago democrat machine didn't really start monopolizing power in the city down until the 1930s. The Republicans closely competed for city positions pretty consistently until the New Deal

there's a wild wikipedia article on the successful 1927 mayoral campaign William Hale Thompson, a Republican who was an ally of Capone. He basically ran an anti-British monarchy campaign

quote:

"America First" and allegations levied by Thompson of a British conspiracy

Thompson accused Dever of treason. Using the slogan "America First", he alleged that Superintendent of Chicago Public Schools William McAndrew was a British agent sent by King George as part of a grand conspiracy to manipulate the minds of American children and set the groundwork for the United Kingdom to repossess the United States; he accused the "left-handed Irishman" Dever of being part of the plot.
Thompson pledged that his "America First" slate would see such strong victories that, "the king of England will find out for the first time he is damned unpopular".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hale_Thompson_1927_mayoral_campaign#Racial_and_ethnic_matters

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

is it just me or does the railroad map seem kind of halfassed

1857 one is halfassed too because by then, during the summer at least, the Great Lakes were used for shipping. The Illinois and Michigan Canal opened in 1848 and the Soo Locks in 1855.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

That map has to be only land travel. You can't even see the Mississippi River in any of them despite that being a major avenue for travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

What was the involvement of organized crime in the underground abortion movement at the time?

Tia: The Chicago Outfit was pretty big and they were involved in all sorts of nefarious activity in Chicago. Any illegal act that they could profit from, they would. When abortion was criminalized in Chicago, that became another profit center for the mafia. We know anecdotally about the mob’s involvement, but there’s also been very little written about it, and it was a surprise to Emma and me to learn about that. When abortion is criminalized, it doesn’t mean women stop seeking abortion care. It just eliminates their access to safe abortion care. The mob filled in those gaps.

I haven't seen the new documentary on the Janes but I've seen older ones before. I remember some of them said that the man who taught them how to perform abortions was not a doctor and he ended up fleeing Chicago because the mob turned on him.